[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here moved Germany for school? Are there any hidden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1416205767429.jpg (73KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1416205767429.jpg
73KB, 1920x1200px
Has anyone here moved Germany for school? Are there any hidden pitfalls or unexpected things you figured out in the course of doing so?
I'm aiming for Berlin and I'm American if that helps.
>>
>>1142220
>aiming for Berlin
Wow great, what a shocker, just like 99% of your cuntrymen. Are you studying Feminist and Justice Studies or Street Theatre Set Design?
>>
>>1142239
I thought the most popular place for Americans to aim was Dresden or Juelich ;^)
>
Jokes aside, engineering, and Berlin seems like the strongest prospect, but I'm definitely open to other cities.
>>
>>1142220
>Has anyone here moved Germany for school?
Yep, did so last summer.
>>
>>1142220
Yeah. I have been here for 2.5 years. I live in a smallish city called Halle close to Leipzig.

Last time I checked you need to be pretty well funded.

Learn German. Most Bachelor programs are in German, and you won't be able to make any real connections without the language (unless you're handsome and charismatic as fuck).

Many Master programs are in English, but knowing German is still important for integration.

You need around 9k EUR in a German bank account to get a 1 year residence permit.

Berlin can be as expensive as an average American city, depending on where you choose to live.
>>
>>1142421
Which city are you in?
>>
>>1142220
the biggest pitfall is going to Berlin just because you don't know any other city.
>>
>>1142248
>falling for the meme degree.

You may find a job that allows you to be self sufficient but you'll never reach the intellectual enlightenment of a gender studies or sociology degree
>>
>>1142239
>>1142433
I've done more research and settled on Chemnitz
>>1142428
Funding won't be an issue, and, it works out to be less expensive for me than going to school in state where I live.
>learn German
I fully intend to, I took a quarter of it at the cc where I live, I spent about 4 months working on it regularly, then I switched to spanish for work. But, yeah, I'm basically going to drown myself in Duolingo for the next 12 hours
>>1142435
Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning.
>>1142421
>>1142428

Was it difficult to find housing?
This is perhaps an odd question, but how does the hiking and such compare to other places?
It looks like it is possible to work part time on a student visa, did either of you try find a job? was it difficult if so?
>>
>>1142429
Berlin

>>1142535
>Was it difficult to find housing?
Hell to the freaking yes. Everyone and their cousin wants to move to Germany all of a sudden and there is no housing left whatsoever. Not to mention the government grabbing available or not fully used housing to give them to refugees. Took me half a year before I found a room and I want to gtfo so badly but nothing else is available. If you're from abroad, can't show up in person for a viewing, can't speak German, have no income, then consider yourself shit out of luck. You have to think about why should they pick you over the 60 other people who came for the one room.

I'm not even joking, I went to a viewing for a room in a WG and the line literally went out the front door, down the stairwell, and outside the building. Compeition to soooooo fierce. You'll have to pay a realtor a huge fee to get set up in a rinky dinky apartment if you want something sooner.

>This is perhaps an odd question, but how does the hiking and such compare to other places?
Pretty good tbf. Berlin may not be the best place for hiking but Grunewald is reachable by the metro and then Sachsen is only 2 hours to the south with mountains. Real hiking is in Bavaria with the Alps but that's on the other side of Germany.

>It looks like it is possible to work part time on a student visa, did either of you try find a job? was it difficult if so?
If you can't speak German don't bother. You might be able to find something with your university but on your own you won't manage. I've been here a year and haven't found a decent job, although I haven't been actively looking. "Part-time" in German means minijob so you'll get stuck doing something lame for 5 hours a day but only 400€ a month, which is minimum wage.
>>
sorry for exploiting your thread senpai but FUCK what are you going to do for housing?
I have to move to Berlin at the start of september for a job and i'm panicking to find a house
>>
>>1142867
That's Berlin. Used to be dirt cheap just a few years back, rents have increased by 40% just since 2009 and it will probably get far worse in the near future.

Unfortunately I myself am going to move to Berlin soon, because I'm doing something that I can specifically only do in Berlin. But as someone who studied in Leipzig, I really don't get why Germans who are looking to study something generic aren't going to East Germany. I guess they're just biased. Living costs, especially rents, are just so much lower and the education might even better as teachers can focus on fewer students. Many of the universitiy cities in East Germany are pretty good looking and have an appropriate cultural life for cities their sizes (Jena, Magdeburg, Halle, Leipzig, Dresden).
Chemnitz doesn't really have a reputation for being beautiful I guess, but I haven't been there. OP, if you did your research on the study programm and it fits you, I guess I can just encourage you to go to Chemnitz. Just be aware of that it's a city with 250,000 inhabitants and therefoer does not have as many epic night clubs and what not as Berlin, Hamburg, Leipzig or Frankfurt. You will probably have to speak German decently to get a job. But if you're willing to share an appartment rent is going to be 250€ max.
(expect in Leipzig, the Uni is just overrun, I could barely move through the main building when I was there a couple of weeks ago. But it's objectively one of the best cities to live in as a student).
>>
>>1142535
>Funding won't be an issue, and, it works out to be less expensive for me than going to school in state where I live.
I doubt that.
>>
>>1142902
That last line makes no sense at that point, I guess I wanted to put that elsewhere. It's still possible to get a room in Leipzig for <250€. But Leipzig deviates from the other cities in the sense that it's actually a very popular city to move to. So I guess at some point in the future it will also go down Berlins way in terms of the rent situation, but right not there is still a lot of housing supply.
>>
>>1142906
>So I guess at some point in the future it will also go down Berlins way in terms of the rent situation, but right not there is still a lot of housing supply.
It already is. People are starting to realize how much of an overglorified dump Berlin is and are now fleeing to the next cheap place, Leipzig. After Leipzig gets propped up in the next few years people will start moving into the smaller cities in the east. Once all of the eastern cities are on par with the west, Poland will be the next big thing. But that's still many years down the road.
>>
Thinking about moving to Germany as well, I am trying to get into the Bauhaus University in Weimer for school, I am American
>>
>>1142913
meme uni alert. Let me guess, you're some kind of designfag? Weimar is tiny, btw. It has that historical name and it's connected to Bauhaus but there are better places to go.
>>
>>1142912
Yeah it is, but as I said, there is still a lot of housing supply right now, so it will take a while until the situation becomes unbearable. There are entire neighborhoods with unused houses or with really poor inhabitants that one can easily gentrify away. People are propping up quarter after quarter, apparently everybody is moving to Reudnitz now. It's weird, a couple of months ago I visited some girl from some village, who studies social sciences and likes to bake pies for fun, in her appartment near the Eisenbahnstraße. It's so weird she lives there, 2-3 years ago the area was exclusively inhabited by poor immigrants, criminals and drug addicts. The area still looks pretty run down, but I guess the poor people will all be gone in a couple of years.

>>1142913
I was born in Weimar, it's nice and beautiful, but pretty small (70k inhabitants). You could always go to Erfurt and Jena within 30 mins, but the amount of things to do there is not infinite either. So yeah, I don't really know the university, but if you're prepared to live relatively calmy, you could certainly consider moving there.

I guess I'll be around if anyone has questions about moving to or visiting East Germany (well, just central Germany really, but whatever).
>>
>>1142248
>instantly reverting to ww2 jokes

You're in university but yet you still seem like you're a child in their formative years that you would actually find these jokes funny.
>>
>>1142978
Yep, I'm immature
>>1142904
I will not qualify for any fiancial assistance until I'm 23, the only school in my state with the program I want is also really expensive and in one of the most expensive parts of the state (perhaps in the nation). In short if I stay here I'm looking at paying about 11,000 a year in just tuition, and probably another 10-12k in living expenses.
>>1142867
Good to know. I hope Chemnitz is not as saturated as Berlin, but still. And the thing with only being able to work a "minijob" and not being able to freelance sucks.
>>
>>1142428
>Halle
best city
i honestly dont know what people find about Leipzig when you have Halle nearby

>>1142912
>After Leipzig gets propped up in the next few years people will start moving into the smaller cities in the east.
Wessis moving here is a big thing already and its terrible. Good thing that at least the place i live in is saturated. Is it so hard to find a decent place to live in West Germany as a student or are they too fine to move into a cheaper quarter than that of their parents? Honestly i have no idea, i mean the difference between rents isnt that huge.

>>1143070
>I hope Chemnitz is not as saturated as Berlin
you should be fine. I studied in a town with little bit higher prices for rent etc. and got along with 450€/month by living in a shared flat.

youll find those via wg-gesucht.de

if you have access to student housing, its possible that there are some of the 400€ job offers for foreign students hanging in the dorms. I worked with a lot of foreign students in my minijob. Be prepared though, most of those are absolutely shitty. We were sorting old beer bottles by form and color mostly.
>>
I wanna go study music technology in berlin, I'm from Ireland so is it their any fees for me to go to university there? I've already done two years of a degree but its getting more and more expensive to study in Ireland
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.