[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to Rome in a week for 7 days. Did i fuck up too bad going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 612_roma20150803.jpg (2MB, 4116x2705px) Image search: [Google]
612_roma20150803.jpg
2MB, 4116x2705px
Going to Rome in a week for 7 days. Did i fuck up too bad going to Rome in August or is that just a meme? Any tips or advice?
>>
>>1141200
It will be really crowded with tons of tourists, but you probably already knew that.
>>
>>1141200
It's warm and it is really packed with people. You didn't mess up because it's an amazing place, but you will experience more aggravation in an aggravated hot and humid state, as you visit the main sights. I suggest a lot of early rising, get a breath of fresh air after the cool night and a head start.
>inb4 a bunch of people start telling you to get out of the city and go the beach or other cities.

Be careful with dressing for the weather to be not so sweaty hot in your choice of summer attire, but not conservative and classy enough to visit churches or get treated kindly in businesses.
>>
>>1141200

It's going to be hot as balls and you will be drenched in sweat. If you can endure that, you're fine.
>>
>>1141209
How many tourists would you say there are compared to locals?
>>
I went mid-late July last year and it was torture; it was way too hot and I couldn't enjoy anything. It was 35-42oC, it was a good lesson never to go to southern Europe during that time ever again
>>
>>1141200
Op, it will be HOT as fuck and the ratio will be a dozens to 1 local person. But you can't really tell it once a city becomes as big and as touristy as Rome. Really in August there are only tourists there.
>>
Going there in March of 2017. Will it be as touristy as usual?
>>
>>1142252
Much better. As long as you don't go to any speeches of the Pope (I am thinking of Easter).
>>
>>1142235
>>1142233
I don't mind the Heat much desu. I'm more concerned with their being too many people in the way of me seeing what I want to. Is the situation that bad there? Americuck so getting travel time is a bitch and this upcoming week was the best I could do.

Any recommendations in things to see and places to eat?
>>
>>1142282
How to survive in Rome in August:
>avoid visiting the most crowded monuments during the weekend.
>Wake up early: outdoor places in the morning, museums or parks during the day, streets in the evening. DO NOT VISIT THE FORI IMPERIALI IN THE AFTERNOON
>buy your water in supermarkets, not bars

Underrated areas:
>Via Appia: a nice walk in the countriside, never crowded. Consider spending a sunday there, renting a bike at the beginning of the road would be optimal and cheap.
>The ghetto, aka quartiere ebraico: a nice place to spend an evening. La sora lella is a nice, little restaurant where you can taste typical roman food for a decent price (try a carbonara).
>Colle Aventino and Giardino degli aranci. The most romantic place in the world and a shadowy place to chill out.
>>
>>1142839
Also consider taking a small trip to Appia antica or any other place that suits your interests.
7 days is a decent time to visit la città eterna: take your time, avoid obvious tourist traps and get a good guide (lonely planet is bretty good).

A final, obvious tip: you're going to visit a lot of barroque churches with breath-taking frescos on the ceiling. Always look for a circular, bronzed plaque on the floor: it indicates the perfect standing point to enjoy the perspective effect.
>>
>>1142222
90 percent tourists. The only locals you will see will be the ones managing the tourist and souvenir stalls as well as the odd nun/priest. The locals are probably off to Sicily on holiday.
>>
>>1142282
If you can afford it (it costs more and I don;t know what your budget is, even if you mentioned it, because I am too lazy to read the 7 hidden posts) book a night tour of the Vatican museum. It is shoulder-to-shoulder people during the day, but at night guides take a few parties through and you can actually see stuff.

There may be analogous tours at other things you want to see, but you'll have to research that yourself -- the Vatican was the only one I did.

>>1142839
Pretty much ditto this.

Hadrian's Villa is worth a day trip if that sort of stuff interests you.
>>
>>1142845
I think you severely over-estimate the percentage of Romans who go on holiday at the same time. That said yeah, there are a lot of tourists in Rome in the summer.
>>
>>1142839
>How to survive in Rome in August:
Great advice from this guy and
>>1142881
>book a night tour of the Vatican museum.
I highly recommend. Imagine yourself on the set of the DaVinci code, with no one else there. Also, any tour of the Vatican is well worth the the time, because it is like walking with your local friend, the historian from the university....there is simply too much of note all around you. This is where you get the fascinating bits that make your whole trip.
Google "Rome at Night" and you'll end up on a dozen webpages that will give you an idea where and what to do once museums close. Italians walk arm and arm and stroll once the sun goes down and the heat dissipates (much as in Miami).

Also, you should dress conservatively and responsibly for touring churches and being presentable to shopkeepers as a local who has a job and italian pride might dress, if you want to be treated right. Think banker/sales/church, not fashion model or american at the beach, despite how hot it is, you can still wear a button down shirt with the sleeves up and breathable pants. Silk and linen both travel well for hot nights, and are easy to drip dry and press both. Wrinkle resistant coating dress shirts pack like a charm too. Women will wear dresses more than at home but shoulders and knees will be covered if only by a scarf.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/travel/20rome.html?_r=0
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.