[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not sure if I should even bother traveling. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: me irl.jpg (36KB, 440x596px) Image search: [Google]
me irl.jpg
36KB, 440x596px
I'm not sure if I should even bother traveling. I'm a 21M Canadian that's never traveled alone before. I'm off school for 6 more months, and money isn't an issue.

In theory I've been bouncing ideas of somewhere in Asia that's not too poor or unusual, because I'm a noobie that could easily die, so maybe: South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan... But I feel like I'm going to go to these places, and just be completely unimpressed, and not enjoy it. Like I would be dragging myself through it. What do you guys think? Maybe I need a more specific idea in mind if I were to travel? Maybe I need to do something way way outside of my comfort zone?
>>
>>1140778
1) Either you really can't afford it despite your money-no-object claims, or you need depression treatment. To "not bother" with someone is kind of weird language to use. Overall a lot of critical words in this deal.
2) Maybe you should go to Japan, Singapore or Hong Kong. You seem like you would be bothered too much in your depressed state to witness anything too upsetting.
>>
>>1140783
No, uh, I have the money, about 80k. (I didn't say money was no object, I said it wasn't a issue.)

I was just wondering anyone had the experience of traveling for first time and being unimpressed (I thought maybe it was common). Or maybe there are people that had the some of my concerns and after they landed they were pleasantly surprised.

What's upsetting in South Korea or Taiwan just out of curiosity?
>>
>>1140778
First time I left the country was to South Korea. Had a miserable trip. I was unimpressed, as you put it. Everything was so superficial, and Seoul was essentially New York, and everything outside of Seoul was essentially Soviet-era, which would have been fine if I had not traveled to Korea for modernity. Went to China after that, and it was a complete 180.

I would not go to South Korea. It is too familiar.
>>
>>1140788
Thank you for sharing, that helped a lot. I guess South Korea is a nice place, but it wouldn't be a fun adventure.

(Also thanks for not calling me depressed)
>>
What if I stayed at some temple in a poor SEA country or in Tibet/Nepal for a week?

That sounds kind of interesting.
>>
>>1140778
Maybe sign up for a guided tour/party bus kinda thing for your first trip away? A lot of young people do that and it's a good way to meet people your age. Plus, you wouldn't have to feel like you were slogging through anything because you'd have your day pre planned out for you.

I know of the Kiwi Experience in New Zealand, which I had a blast with as my first travel experience- we did something new every day, saw some really cool sights, and every night we'd get drunk as fuck or just go out and explore the town we were bedding down in for the night. Never a dull moment with that tour. I'm sure there's something like that in SEA if you look around a little.
>>
>>1140807
>Maybe sign up for a guided tour/party bus kinda thing for your first trip away? A lot of young people do that and it's a good way to meet people your age. Plus, you wouldn't have to feel like you were slogging through anything because you'd have your day pre planned out for you.
This. It fills in the "boring" parts by spoon feeding you some dialogues about history, culture, crime, and random questions you didn't even know to ask. Then, when the tour is over, go revisit and do your own thing afterwards or move on to the next town.
>>
OP sounds like a tosser
>>
>>1140778
Just do it faggot
>>
>>1140778
I know what you mean.
I'm always unimpressed when I travel,
and I end up doing the same things I do at home (coffee shops).
There are only so many 500 year old buildings you can see, they all look the same after awhile.
a few tips=don't go for too long or too short a time.
>>1140788
This.
The main thing is to know thy self and plan to see things you will actually enjoy be that Art or nature, etc. And every 1st world city feels the same btw.
>>
>>1141888
>And every 1st world city feels the same btw.
I guess this varies from person to person. For me, Tokyo did not feel the same as Paris.
>>
>>1141888
Travel to see different customs and ways of life, historical sight seeing is a bonus. If that doesn't tickle your fancy and you have no other reason (sex tourism, extreme sports, different cuisine) you might not like it but at least give it one shot chum
>>
IDGAF about old buildings but none of the backpackers spend time looking at old buildings around Asia. They go there to have some adventures and also fun times at night.

Go to the Philippines, fuck some local girls, go on some outdoor adventures. Or go to Thailand and hang out on the backpacker circuit, which is amazing there. Have a threesome with a couple 18yo hookers. I can't see you not having fun in either of those countries.

What you describe is why I never really enjoyed Europe, though. The culture is basically the same as the US/Canada.
>>
>>1141940
sigh... that does sound fun :3
>>
>>1140778
If you are doing some serious, multi month travel it might take you a few weeks to get into the groove your first time, but when you do, you will rock out and have a blast.

I have traveled for most of my adult life at this point and one thing really realize is traveling well is as much a learned skill as it is a mindset.
>>
>>1140778
If you feel you could easily die, don't go to Thailand
>>
>>1142137
I was being slightly playful, I don't actually think I would die.
>>
>>1140796
I went to south korea with my family when I was four, so over a decade and a half ago, but what i remeber and what my parents tell me was that it was a pretty breathtaking place, don't go there expecting anything mind boggling, but just read some guides, look at temples, eat at restaurants and stay at nice hotels, you most likely wont have a bad time. I'd go somewhere else though, you could live like a king in SAE or go to the Galapagos islands on a cruise or some shit, as long as you have money, go somewhere nice, and do stuff that you like the sound of you'll have at least a half decent time. Don't waste the opportunity to travel with so much money so young.
>>
>>1142141
It's really hard to understand what kind of a journey you want to go on. You seem slightly bored at everything. So was I (but worse i fear) until I started moving around, travelling etc.

To avoid this from being a 10k wore essat. just let me know what kind of trip you could imagine being fun. Concerts/drugs/partying/historical etc
>>
>>1142137
Save for the three insurgent problems thailand is safe
>>
>>1142541
I'm not 100% sure what I want, but I'll try my best.

In my mind I wasn't thinking of high energy stuff like concerts or partying. I'm not completely against it though. I guess the trip's theme is to explore a non western culture (or multiple). Just to get some life experience, exposure to something different, shake things up from doing nothing at home. It would lean to the side of relaxing rather then exciting.

I would love to see Buddhist temples of any country, more than the average person (I'd assume). Also I'm a geology student so any nature stuff is interesting in any regard, including plants and animals. I thought Tibet matched this pretty good, but it just seemed too uninviting for a first trip, so I'm looking at elsewhere.

Sorry for not responding quicker, trying to figure my thoughts out.
>>
File: 20160725_182237_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160725_182237_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>1142574
Okay.

If you dont mind it I would just recommend doing a hostel + bar day. One before the trip while youre excited and one afterwards to round it off. I like it a lot personally, you just meet and talk to people.

As for your actual interests I cannot help you that much sadly. I'm more of a hiker and architecture just comes as I walk.
But there are definitely people who have made these journeys. Do some research and ask around. Also dont be afraid of going big, tibet might be somewhat hard with communication but why not something in SEA?

Do some research if others have done something similar.

Best of luck!
>>
File: CAM00299.jpg (402KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00299.jpg
402KB, 1536x2048px
>>1140778
go to peru.... safe, cheap, awesome, a bunch of other people travelling alone, and that's all you need but there is so much more that i could sit and tell you stories about any category;action adventure, romance, drama, erotica, bla bla bla

i know you want to go to southeast asia (which i hear is great) but south america is so fucking awesome i guess i'm just partial to South America

also, i met a couple canadians in peru who were the dumbest fucking people i've ever seen they got robbed like 6 times DON'T BE THEM they were telling me of their habits of getting in taxis with random people, and just doing other obviously stupid shit
>>
Anon in a similar situation and mindset to OP here. I was thinking of SEA too, but I've never travelled much before at feel like I would be completely out of my depth over there. But at the same time, I want to broaden my horizons and experience something a bit new and different. It's paradoxical and makes me feel like I'm just doing it for the sake of doing it at times and that it will just end up being a waste of money.
>>
>>1143373
I have mixed feelings. But I'm leaning towards I really should travel once in my life. I'm not saving the money for anything, so it's not really a waste if I have nothing better to do. And even if it's mediocre, it would be good for me just to get better socially.

I would like to do a tour in an asian country or two or three, so why not I guess...
>>
>>1142574
You need to take a guided tour to visit Tibet. Nepal would be a good alternative - people are friendly and speak English.

To anyone thinking of it, just fucking do it. Even if it's just 2 weeks. When you're an old man shitting your pants you're not going to regret spending that $1500 seeing something new when you were young.
>>
>>1142556
*insurgent provinces - essentially these are muslim areas. The rest of thailand is safe, just keep your wits about you, don't flash cash or jewelry etc you'll have a great time
>>
>>1140778
>money is not an issue

Money is ALWAYS an issue. Can you afford to take a private jet to a private tropical island full of hookers, cocaine, and a giant mansion?

No?

Then money's an issue.
>>
Honestly I feel ya. I just turned 30 and only travelled for the first time in my life last year. Even better? Im 100% British Columbian, I think ive maybe travelled to Calgary for a couple hours, and then came right back.

The vacation I took with my wife and infant daughter, after much thought and careful deliberation, we opted for an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

I knew not a lick of spanish, or anything about the DR culture or lifestyle. But it didn't matter, the resort we stayed at was entirely catered to westerners.

That's my biggest regret honestly. I feel if I'm going to be spending the money to get out of dodge, I'd like to see something that isn't what I already see everyday, and experience a culture that isn't explicitly rehersed to make me feel like im Home away from Home. Well, I don't WANT to be home, damnit!

So I think the next time I travel, I might opt for something not restory, but ratherstay in an expensive hotel or something, in an area that we can explore. Whether thats a dense city or sparse village. At least I'll be able to mingle with the locals in their natural, comfortable, habitat.

Thinking my next major travelling adventure might be to Coppenhagen, or Hong Kong. More realistically, I think my very next travel will be to some place in Mexico while we work to rebuild our travel funds from Punta Cana...
>>
>>1140778
start by travelling within Canada
i spent almost a month in Alberta last summer (i'm from toronto) and it was probably the best vacation i've ever had
>>
>>1143737
should have added that it's obviously cheaper than crossing the ocean, and you're still in canada, you're used to a lot of the stuff
so only slightly outside of your comfort zone, which might be easier for some people
>>
File: dsc_8109[1].jpg (394KB, 800x505px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_8109[1].jpg
394KB, 800x505px
>>1143613
>Thinking my next major travelling adventure might be to Coppenhagen, or Hong Kong. More realistically, I think my very next travel will be to some place in Mexico while we work to rebuild our travel funds from Punta Cana...
You could also come again to DR but this time to some nice little town in the north, Constanza and Jarabacoa are top tier for that matter, there you could really experience real dominican culture, from there you could also visit Santo Domingo historic center if you want to get to know about our history and meet the city, just stay away from the low life zones and neighborhoods and you will be fine, also if you go along a tourist group is better, you should join a tour expedition for the case.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.