[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wew lads! Time for yet another India general! I'm the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 22222.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
22222.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
Wew lads! Time for yet another India general!

I'm the same guy who made the last few. I lived in New Delhi for about a year or year and a half and have been to India half a dozen times since 2013. I recently left my job and am going back in August and staying until January. I'll be doing some freelance work and taking online classes before heading home to finish my current degree program.

Feel free to ask whatever. I've spent my fair share of time in the tourism industry and can probably give advice on many parts of India that I haven't visited. Not an expert on festivals and stuff, though, as I'm not too interested in spiritualism or religion in general. I'm sure there are other /trv/elers who are well-versed. Had some really interesting folks in the last thread.

I know there's another India thread, but I wanted to start something more positive. Helps me get excited to write about India when I'll be heading back in a few months.

Probably going to visit a buddy in Nepal, so feel free to give me advice on there.
>>
>>1138859

Heading there on Sept 1st. Touring around the country for 6 months.

Not much planned just a basic idea of a route.
>>
File: 20160527_095849.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160527_095849.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
Hey there again, just got back from 2 weeks in India and just wanted to thank you again for the advise. Of the places I visited I rank them Jaipur > Delhi > Dharamshala > Amritsar > Agra > Rishikesh.

I hear a lot of good things about Poverty Valley, strangely enough. Should of went there instead of the shithole tourist town that is Rishikesh.

Also, try as I might, I couldn't find any food I really loved and the "spicy" that I kept hearing about was less painful spicy and more overbearing.
>>
>>1139278

Noice m8. I think I remember you from the last general and am happy that you enjoyed some of the places I recommended.

Six trips to India and I still haven't been to Jaipur. I'll be back in a month and will have to stop making excuses and check it out. What did you like about it so much? Also, what did you see and do in Delhi? I can't remember whether I gave you any suggestions for the city, but I'm happy you liked it nevertheless.
>>
File: 20160528_124538.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20160528_124538.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
>>1139315
I liked that the entire town seemed fortified, fortresses every which way which you could hike up to then look out over the city to the next fortress. It also felt a lot more modern and less busy than a lot of the other major cities, was a refreshing break from Delhi.

I spent quite some time in Delhi acclimating to India when I landed then a little at the end. I don't think you gave me particular suggestions but I did the usual stuff; checked out the areas around the gate, rode around the metro and jumped off when I saw something cool, rickshawed around looking for neat stuff. I love the city though because it feels like it's from a dystopian steampunk novel. They have a cornucopia of first world technology but all of it seems to be a few days away from just falling apart and yet the society is still able to function. Everyone I talked to said Delhi was shit but I don't know, I was fascinated by it.
>>
>>1139328

I like Delhi a lot but I'd probably tell you it's shit as well. I don't think it's the best place for first-time visitors to spend getting to know India, especially if they're staying in Paharganj and having to deal with tourist touts and hawkers every day. Thankfully, I've been there enough times over the last few years that I can get around in CP and Paharganj and a handful of other places without getting bothered, because I'm not a fresh face any more. Lots of tourists touts even know me and will come up to me and say hello by name.

Anyway, getting sidetracked, sorry. I'm imagining Delhi and getting excited to think that I'll be back in a little bit less than a month. My only regret is that I'm going to be landing at 10:45pm on my birthday, but it was either that or spend an extra $500 in airfare.

I'll definitely be checking out Jaipur. Everybody seems to love it. I've never been much for sights and scenes, but I've found I'm appreciating stuff like that more and more.

I'm guessing there isn't much to do in Amritsar, right?

Probably gonna travel around India a lot for a month or two before volunteering and taking some language classes and/or working. Need to break my Delhi bubble.
>>
>>1139462
I think I may have just had bad timing with Amritsar. It's already a fairly crowded and badly developed city but when I went it seemed they were doing active construction everywhere downtown so it just ruined the look and made it harder to get around. Some of the sites were okay and the border closing ceremony was interesting though. Also there were pilgrims from all over India there and I'm vain enough to have enjoyed the attention of being the first white guy they'd ever seen.

But of everywhere I went I think Delhi is the only place I could see myself going back to. Mostly because it's a major airport but also because I feel like I could explore the city so much more.
>>
>>1139475

You should go back again. There are a lot of great places in India. Mumbai is a wonderful city as well and without many of the same annoyances as Delhi. Way fewer hawkers, touts, and con-artists. Even the taxis there will almost always go by the meter, at least in the city center, where auto-rickshaws are banned.
>>
self serving bump
>>
Planning on going to Himachala Pradesh in the winter. Anyone know of the conditions? I want to basically just chill out in some snowy backwater town with no technology, hotsprings, cheap food and quiet.
Has anyone done something like this? Thinking of checking out Manali, Malana, Tosh, Kheer Ganga, Shimla, Manikaran, Kasol and some other stuff.
>>
>>1139278
Where did you stay in Rishikesh? I spent 2 months there this year and loved every minute of it, was up on the hilltop staying at the swiss cottage, it was amazing, best people, beautiful scenic trails to explore, great food, clean ganges, yoga, traveller girls... it was amazing. Hated delhi though.
>>
is it recommended to buy the lonelyplanet india guide? i remember the one for central asia was fantastic which got me curious
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.