[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 26

File: IMAG0194.jpg (1MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0194.jpg
1MB, 1840x3264px
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1116423
>>
>walking around in Tokyo
>see a lot of foreigners in a place
>internally disgusted
>about to go into izakaya
>most of the patrons are foreigners
>change my mind and find somewhere else to eat
Anyone else know these feels?
>>
>>1119696
it's Tokyo for gods sake, did you expect to be the only foreigner in a world city? remember that you are one too damn. why dont you go to the coutryside or smaller cities?
>>
>>1119696
There is something deeply wrong with you
>>
>>1119696
Yes. Out of all aspects of travel, I like escaping my own community the most.
>>
>>1119696
go to bed ken-sama
>>
Going to Japan during the summer and am currently planning my route. How screwed would I be if actually didn't pick a route and just went wherever I feel like going? Mainly wondering about how difficult would it be to arrange accommodation while on the road. Any experiences with this in Japan or anywhere else really?
>>
>>1119749
you're going to get fucked by hotel prices
>>
>>1119749
which months? I went in August and September and both time barely had any problems finding decent hostels 2 days before I moved on to the next place
>>
>>1119751
Do you think pre-booking 1-2 days in advance would be cheaper? That would still leave me with a bit more freedom.

>>1119752
Late June-July
>>
>>1119757
yeah you're gonna be fine then, you can just #yolo it
>>
Going to Japan July 3rd, meeting a Japanese penpal for the 2nd time, she met me in my home town in England earlier this year.
Shes gunna show me around Osaka, what are the best places to go?
>>
>>1119729
Ken-sama... is no longer with us
>>
Anyone here that can recommend a good okama bar in/near Osaka that lets foreigners in?
>>
>Set up tinder to see what I can get in Tokyo
>Match a qt girl.
>Realised I'm too beta for this and pussied out, delete account before even talking.

I'm fucking pathetic.
>>
>>1119858
Speaking of tinder, why is every single girl on there so into traveling? All their pictures are jn front of famous places like Eiffel tower and they list a dozen countries they've been to. Like where do they get money for this
>>
>>1119861
>where do people get money for travel
what?
>>
>>1119862
Where do these 20 year old college student girls get so much money to travel to dozens of locations? Every other girl on there has been to all these places
>>
>>1119870
i'm sorry you're poor? almost everyone travels
>>
>>1119870
I know some schools in Japan require students to spend at least a year studying abroad, probably helps make it a lot more common. Plus, flying from Japan to other Asian countries and some places in Europe is a lot cheaper than flying out of the US.
>>
>>1119749
This is the best way to travel, in my opinion.
>>
>>1119851
What's an okama bar?
>>
>>1119884
crossdresser servers
>>
Sup.

Going to Tokyo for 20 days starting june 1. I'm staying with a friend for a couple of days and after that it's all freestyle. Any recs? Cool and/or cheap spots overall? I'll be rotating through hostels/CS/airBnB but might even do cafe if it actually is a thing. I'm going pretty casual, might do some sightseeing, but mostly chilling. Would appreciate any tips, cheers.
>>
>>1119696
>be wihite visiting a nonwhite city
>see other white visitors just like me
>*snorts* fucking gaijin, I can't stand the sight of them
>>
>>1119908
What kind of places are you interested in visiting? Tokyo urban stuff, rural quiet stuff, historical sites, old overgrown forest temples, famous suicide spots, what?
>>
My night in the caspule hotel was fucking awful. Some Anon warned me about it but I didn't listen.

Barely had any sleep. The spa and onsen was nice, though.
>>
I booked return flights to Japan for about $500 AUD (it was a 50% off sale), but I'm only staying for 8 nights. I'm thinking of extending my trip but it will mean spending another $500 on a return flight because the deal has long ended. Should I do it? At the end of the day it's not a whole lot of money (for the flight, I understand accomodation and other expenditures will be a lot more).
>>
Finished my 1 week tour of western Japan, and now back home. What is this feeling of crushing depression?
>>
>>1120007
>What is this feeling of crushing depression?
It's the way we all go
>>
>>1119951
Urban stuff and forest temples sounds good, historical sites too! Really just any kind of place that would be nice to visit and hang out at.
>>
>>1119992
I wouldn't do it since it's more expensive plus you'll be paying more for the other stuff. Just stay your 8 nights, go home, plan to stay longer next time.
>>
>>1119992
How long are you extending your trip?

The $500 you save could be spent deliciously in 8 days if you choose not to stay longer.
>>
>>1119693
Where was that picture taken? That view looks very familiar to one from the roof of a hostel I stayed at in Tokyo.
>>
>>1120090
Not who you're responding to, but if 500 works for 8 days, how much would you think works for 15? I'm going with 600 (not counting lodging), but will go by very lax, non affluent (read: cheap).
>>
>>1120119
will leave you with food and trains but forget about having a beer in a bar
>>
Going to be in Osaka for a weekend trip from July 16-18 (land early morning fly out late night). What's the best way to spend my short time there? I'm down to try pretty much anything.
>>
>>1120097
that was at the Khaosan in Kyoto as far as I remember
>>
>>1119696
I was in Tokyo last summer. Went to an izakaya in Shinjuku, and we were the only foreigners there. Best night of the trip.

It was a place with no English menu or staff, though, so if you can't deal with that, then you probably will have to deal with other foreigners.
>>
I'm in Osaka June 1-5th!
Does anyone want to meet up? Last time I met an anon in Kyoto and we had a great time. I'm going to keep trying!
>>
So we're going to Japan soon and got our JR Passes.

But a friend of ours works and lives there, and can't get a JR Pass. Is there an alternative to the pass or something. We're looking into this, but have no idea.
>>
>>1119979
Which one?
>>
>>1120090
I would probably extend it to something like 16 days, so twice the time. I'm not too fussed about the money...
>>
>>1120189
As far as I know, it depends on where you're travelling. If you (or your friend) visit the JR website of the respective region, there should be a page listing available discounted tickets, passes, etc.
>>
>>1119851
Anybody? Or am I the only fag here?
>>
File: 1362875300723.jpg (22KB, 403x375px) Image search: [Google]
1362875300723.jpg
22KB, 403x375px
Someone please help me...

Is there any way I can travel to Japan with only 2700 dollars?

I'm an American girl who has been friends with a Japanese man for over 5 years now. We admitted that we really liked each other, but now he is back in Japan, and I feel so miserable that I can't be with him anymore. We still keep in touch but we both miss each other, and I feel like I need to be in Japan or else our relationship will end forever.

Is this at all possible with the limited amount of money I have?
>>
File: 1460364623264.jpg (178KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1460364623264.jpg
178KB, 707x1000px
Is there any hope for someone with a fear of public speaking to become an English teacher? I have a degree but I get so nervous talking in front of a group and my voice projection is not so good.
>>
Alright fuckers, I'm heading to Tokyo tomorrow, what hostels are good? Looking for somewhere chilled
>>
>>1120208
Yes

If you live with him there you could make several months out of it
>>
>>1120216
You get used to it.
>>
>>1120218

Really? Even in Tokyo? I'm not so sure...

Also, the plane ticket would be over 1k!! It just seems so difficult...
>>
>>1120220
Hotel is by far the most expensive part. You'll have a great time with 30-40$ a day for food and the usual stuff
>>
Hey! Does the teaching in japan just require a bachelors degree? Planning on going and getting my degree in Biology with a minor in Japanese. Planning maybe getting the degree, going and teaching in Japan for awhile, then coming back to the states with my super awesome teaching experience and hopefully teaching where I would like to teach. Is there any online resources to help me write out a plan?
>>
>Want to go to onsen
>Have tattoos.

Shit sucks, senpai.
>>
>>1120227
I doubt anyone cares for gaijins with tattoos senpai
>>
>>1120228
I thought it was strictly "no tattoos allowed!" policy? Was I rused?
>>
>>1120231
It's more of a "no yakuza allowed" kind of thing
>>
>>1120232
I see... Well that makes me feel better. Thanks, kind Anon.
>>
Easiest way to get from osaka to Tokyo?

In seoul atm and trying to look for a Japan rail pass but it's proving to be a hassle.

Could I just get a bus or something?
>>
>>1120216
Shoot for an interview and let the interviewers decide. If nothing else you probably won't be the least competent person they've hired. Plus public speaking at a decent level is like any other skill, some people are naturally good but the vast majority of people just have to keep doing it until it's normal. Also, I hate how sympathetic your image made this post.
>>
>>1120234
Plane imo. There are many flights between KIX and HND everyday.
>>
How is Tokyo for someone that likes ruins? Will I be dissapointed with nothing to look at besides maybe whatever came out from the Edo period
>>
>>1120234
Shinkansen imo. There are many trips between osaka and Tokyo every day. Also it's cheaper to not get the jr pass if you're just going 1 way
>>
>>1120227
Disregarding the other anon, they do care about gaijins but you can find some that don't. Funaoka in Kyoto is great and doesnt care about tattoos, I see Japanese and white dudes in there with them
>>
How's the Tokyo pub crawl? Any good?
>>
>>1120208
Plane ticket prices will depend on the time. You should be able to find them easily for much cheaper than $1000
Going to where you need to go might cost a couple hundred or just a couple dozen bucks, just use regular trains and night buses like Willer Express.
Other than that your question is a bit vague. Just going there won't be a problem with 2700, staying there is another story depending on many factors
>>
I been in Japan for a few days now. I keep getting these daytime headaches. I haven't even drank. Been drinking plenty water.
Anyone experience this? It's very rare that I get headaches.
>>
>japan trip ends
>tomorrow last day shopping in Akihabara
>about 1200$ left to burn

Can only fit that much into my suitcase and because I have a stopover in China I can't even buy anything lewd. Kinda sucks
>>
>>1120269
Save that money for your next trip to Japan. That's what I would do.
>>
>>1120250
>>1120261
>plane
>shinkansen
Yeah, just pay out the ass for no reason!

>>1120234
Yes, you can ride overnight for 4000-something yen. Definitely do that unless you have to get to Tokyo immediately in a day and can't hang around in Osaka until night time.
Rail pass is worth it only if you're actually going to hop from city to city, and I don't mean like only 3 cities.
>>
>>1120272
JRP is already worth it if you travel from Tokyo to Osaka and back with Shinkansen.

On top of that you can use most subway and train lines in smaller cities which could add up if you hop around there.
>>
>>1120266
Maybe you're not used to the humidity?
>>
>>1120269
They still won't allow lewds even if you only use them as stopover?
>>
>>1120283
Nope, have to go through the usual immigration process even though I just want to get on my next flight.

I don't want to get put on death row for a few unscanned doujinshi I'd like to pick up so I'll probably stick to non-lewd stuff.

>>1120271
>next trip
My proper work starts in about two months and I even though I'll have a ton of cash I won't have any time for a japan trip during the next three years.

Any Akihabara shop recommendations? I mainly look for figurines
>>
Making a daytrip to Nara tomorrow. Anything that I should definitely see/eat? Thanks brehs
>>
>>1120311
Todaiji, one of the biggest wooden structures on earth, housing the biggest(?) indoor Buddha statue. The nearby temple areas are amazing as well and you run into the deer all around the place. No recommendations on food, I tend to just get the local raamen wherever I go.
>>
Going for 32 days, I've got about 3000€ saved up before accommodation. Gonna try to stay around 1000€ with accommodation. Just need someone to tell it'll be okay, pretty please?
>>
>>1120324
I'm also going for 32 days and my original minimum budget was €2000 (excluding accomodation and JR Pass). It's about 8000 yen or so a day, so you'll be fine, although you won't be able to act like a big spender while you're there.
>>
>>1120324
>>1120326
I booked everything yesterday, going to Kyoto for 4 days, then 1 month Tokyo.

My budget is ~3000€ including tickets and accommodation.

It's very possible to do 1 month on that budget, but you should have more cash available, or a creditcard, just in case, you almost always go over budget

I've previously lived in Tokyo for a 12 months so I'm comfortable on that budget, but I have about as much in reserve as well, + credit card

Keep away from hostess bars or Nigerian touts, unless you'd like to blow your budget in a single night
>>
>>1120269
Mail it home?
>>
>>1120324
a little low but fine, budgeting like 20% more/day
>>
>>1120324
you could save a lot on accomodation though, if you're spending 2k euros. i'm spending 600€ for 2 weeks on accomodation, 1 room airbnb 5 mins from shinjuku station
>>
>>1120297
Why not got to a soapland?
>>
Are cookies and candy ok to bring back from Japan to the US? I have to declare all that stuff, right?
It feels like I have to put money aside just to pay taxes when I arrive back in the states. I'm excited to go but all the little details sort of bug me.
>>
What's the cheapest way to get from the us to japan by boat? Any port is fine
Searching on my own hasn't revealed much on routes or costs
>>
>>1120428
like 1400€ from west coast to japan? you have to be severely autistic to even consider this so does your handler know you have these thoughts?
>>
>>1119763
thats awesome, where'd you meet your penpal?
>>
>>1120434
hurr durr. ofc it is
started looking around with idle curiosity from the idea of not wanting to check stuff in a separate bag. My grandparents like to travel by cruise ship, but they have a rather significant budget.
Searching on my own revealed nothing of substance, so I figured I'd ask.
All these cruise lines and such want me to set up a profile or something to see dates and prices.
>>
>>1120428
>What's the cheapest way to get from the us to japan by boat? Any port is fine
By boat? I'm fairly certain it's actually cheaper to just fly.
>>
>>1120424
US residents get an $800 duty-free exemption for items they bring back from countries like Japan, if they were there at least 48 hours. You have to list everything you are bringing back (that you didn't take out), with their values in US$, on the customs form, so save your receipts, and check the exchange rates.

You'll have to check the "yes" box for "fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, food, insects", but they don't actually care about candy and baked goods.
>>
>>1120455
>>1120456
meant to type "of course it is cheaper to fly"
>>
>>1120455
it's not about price it's about sitting alone in a tin can for 2-3 weeks with nothing to do since the only ships going transatlantic is cargo ships, and paying 80-160€/day for the privilege
>>
>>1120460
I think the Cunard Line is still running transatlantic service on the Queen Mary 2 every few weeks, at cruise ship prices. That's about a week each way.

But the original question was about USA to Japan, a transpacific trip*. Transpacific boat trips are either cabins on slow freighters, or cruise ships doing repositioning or round-the-world trips, much less frequent. Or your own yacht, if you have one.

*Except, maybe, for edge cases starting in Guam or Saipan.
>>
>>1120457
Thanks for that info. I swear I worry more about travelling to and from Japan over anything else.
>>
>>1120457
Non-burger here

What happens of you just walk through the Nothing to Declare section?
>>
>>1120217
Lol, good luck finding a hostel in Tokyo on such short notice. Hope you're prepared to net cafe it.
>>
>>1120228
They definitely do care if you're a foreigner with tattoos. I've been with friends who were denied entry to onsens because of their tats.
>>
>>1120231
They don't let anyone with tattoos in because of yakuza. They can't say "no yakuza" because they'll just deny they're yakuza, so they have the no tats policy. It applies to everyone though because if they let you in with tattoos then someone might see and the yakuza will show up saying, "you let THAT GUY in with tattoos, so why not us?" And they won't have a legit reason and it'll be more trouble than it's worth.
>>
>>1120274
Yes, with shinkansen.
If he doesn't HAVE to take shinkansen then he doesn't need JRP either.
>>
Holy shit, traveling around Kyoto by bike is so much fun. Especially compared to busing everywhere. Met some cool Austria bros too that I biked around with one day. Also I really suggest heading to arashiyama, the ride there and the destination were the most beautiful parts of Japan I've been to yet
>>
>>1120228
You're wrong
>>
Moving to Japan next week and my 3 suitcases are full to the brim, but I still have some omiyage.

Can I just dump them into a plastic bag and bring them on along with my carry on suitcase and backpack, or would I get stopped or charged extra for that?
>>
Any tips for someone wanting to go to Japan for the first time?

Total weeb, and was kind of hoping to go to Comiket among other things.
>>
Anyone knows how to get PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) in Japan/Kyushu region? I kind of need it right now. Please help me. Also why do Japanese MSM never use condoms AND cum inside? I'm panicking.
>>
>>1120482
>what is hostelworld

Found one in about 5 mins.

I want notravellers to leave
>>
>just arrived in osaka and about to catch a flight to Tokyo (long story)
>jetstar make me check on my bag, plus fee

REEEEEEEEEEEE

Peach were cooler about this
>>
>>1120208
Kek.

I also only have 2700 saved up for Japan.

Are you the girl version of me?
>>
>>1120495
Does you airline even allow 3 suitcases?

Better check. Was only 1 for mine.
>>
>>1120480
You run the risk of getting picked out randomly by customs people. Walking through the nothing to declare section when you do have something to declare will cause them to give you a fine for lying, on top of you having to pay taxes.

(I'm personally not gonna declare anything when I arrive back home from Japan, fuck the police)
>>
Is $6000 enough for 2 weeks in Japan?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I walked around Tokyo today, Koto specifically. I ended up with this rash on my leg. I wanted to be in shade any chance I got so I walked in areas with lots of plants, sometimes like little trails of forest. I have no idea what to do, is this familiar/what does a person do in this situation? If it worsens or doesn't go away shortly I'll have to go to a doctor I guess but I don't even really know how to do that
>>
>>1120535
You're fucked m8.
>>
>>1120534
Nowhere near enough, you need at least $10.000 more.

>>1120535
RIP in pieces anon
>>
>>1120539
>Nowhere near enough, you need at least $10.000 more.
Seriously? Fuck...
>>
>>1120540
Nah man, don't worry. In all seriousness, $6000 is more than enough for two weeks. I'm gonna be there for 5 weeks and I had saved up $6000 for that (including flights and accomodation, I've got $3000 left for food and entertainment while I'm there).

$2000 seems to be the luxury budget for people who stay for 2 weeks, so you'll be fine.
>>
>>1120534
You will be fine with well below 2k senpai

I need about 80$ a day for my comfortable stay in Tokyo. 50$ hotel with single room, AC, internet, shower and everything else you need, about 20$ for food - I usually just eat stuff from 7/11 and similiar shops, it's fucking delicious and cheap - and about 10$ to transport around Tokyo via metro.
>>
>>1120541
>>1120542
Alright, thanks.

It's my first time going to Japan. And when I really think about it, the first time I've really planned a trip on my own at all. Best choice of accommodation, itinerary, etc. etc., all pretty new to me, so I'm having a real time trying to sort things out.
All I really know is A) I want to go there, and B) I might want to go to Comiket.
>>
>>1120544
>B) I might want to go to Comiket.

Not that I've been myself, but other friends who have been recommend that you only go to Winter Comiket as the one in the summer is actual hell. Japanese summer is hot and humid and Comiket attracts a massive crowd, so I also can't imagine summer comiket being very fun to go to.
So that's something to take into consideration if you haven't booked your flight yet.
>>
>>1120545
Yeah, I haven't just yet. Even though two months is cutting things pretty close, I'm planning to go for one circle's new book in particular, and I haven't been able to confirm if they'll be there this summer or not. In fact there seems to be precious little information about C90 at all when I try and look it up.

As for the heat...eh, I figure that if I wandered around Hawaii in a winter coat in the dead of summer, I should be fine.
>>
Out of the big cities you guys have traveled to, which one is your least favorite? Is the one you really disliked?
>>
>>1120551
Suprisingly I don't like Kyoto that much. The entire city feels like a giant tourist trap
>>
Anyone willing to spend money on alcohol with me tonight? Anywhere in Tokyo
>>
>>1120556
You around Nihonbashi? What do you have in mind? I could spare a few thousand yen on getting wasted tonight
>>
>>1120551
I don't know if it really counts as a big city but Beppu
>>
>>1120561
I can't say I know the area well but sure. I'm thinking beer, cigarettes and perhaps some nice food.
>>
>>1120561
>>1120564
Does 20:00 sound good?
>>
>>1120564
I don't mind taking the metro around Tokyo. You know any places well?

I also don't mind getting food and alcohol at a Lawson and getting drunk at a park nearby. Still busy atm, will be available around 9pm

Let me know if you're up to it!
>>
>>1120569
I'm going to start before that I guess. If you come here and ask around 21:00 I will let you know where I am
>>
>>1120574
I'm currently heading for Akihabara for the second time today, my sister just wrote me I need to get her some stuff. I'll post in the thread after I'm done!
>>
>>1120563
Beppu! :3
>>
>>1120520

Hopefully we'll survive! Ganbatte ne
>>
>>1120563
>tfw just had a delicious lunch in Beppu today
I love it.
>>
>>1120583
Just write the fuck down what you spend every day and after one week think of ways to spend less
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm alone in Gotanda, someone come
>>
>>1120585
maybe I was just there at a bad time, but the whole city seemed pretty run down, the eight hells weren't all that impressive and pretty depressive (especially the ones with the animals), the huge red light district kind of ruined the comfy atmosphere (didn't stop me from visiting one of the soaplands there though kek) and it was also raining. That said, the onsen were pretty decent (if you can go to the one that is outside close to the seaside) and chicken tempura is fucking umai
>>
>>1120326
>>1120338
>>1120357
>>1120358
Thanks guys. I kinda know I should be fine, not my first trip or anything, but I still tend to get really nervous about money just before I travel.
>>
Tempted to try out a pink salon tonight in Tokyo.

Should I? Is it worth it?
>>
Euro here. Thinking of arranging with my university exchange program to spend a semester studying in Japan. It would probably be much more expensive than a fellow EU country, but fuck it, I only get one chance, might as well go all the way. Anyone here did anything similar?
>>
>>1120590
>Mid-day drinking, smoking
Nope
>>
>>1120600
>7pm
>mid-day
What
>>
>>1120600
How is this mid-day to you?
>>
>>1120595

I will do something similar: a one-year exchange at a Japanese university. Can't really tell you more, since it's my first exchange program.

Actually, I could use some help with plane tickets: since I'll stay there for one year, there is no way to book a round-trip ticket. And most single way tickets are ridiculously expensive (several thousand dollars for an economy class ticket). Am I doing it wrong?
>>
>>1120610
what airport are you flying from?
>>
>>1120610
>there is no way to book a round-trip ticket

of course there is. Just book a round trip and don't show up for the return flight
>>
>>1120610
Where are you flying from? I can easily find several single way tickets from Europe to Tokyo for around 400 euros (all with at least one stop, although I guess that doesn't really matter much). What are you studying, anon?
>>
File: IMG-20160503-WA0005.jpg (255KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160503-WA0005.jpg
255KB, 1280x722px
Yamaguchifag here,
I'm meeting up with girl of my dreams in Hiroshima late June

What are some fun things to do that arent the memorial?

I like hiking and the overgrown ruins stuff anything like that?
>>
>>1120612
>>1120615

Departing from Geneva, Switzerland. No direct flight between Geneva and Japan exists. I may be able to depart from Zurich though. Besides, I'll study at Tohoku University, in Sendai.

Maybe if I book the Geneva-Tokyo flight and the Tokyo-Sendai flights separately, I'll be able to come up with an affordable ticket.

>>1120614
What I mean is that I can't book a ticket for July 2017. The limit is may 2017. According to you, I should just book a round-trip ticket, and eventually change the date for the return flight?

I apologize for my questions. I'm not really used to flying, there are lot of things I don't really understand when booking online.
>>
>>1120622
just wait until at least february 2017, preferably longer, tickets will get much cheaper since airlines don't really care to give good offers a year ahead.
>>
To the Anon who wants to get drunk - still there? Around shinjuku
>>
>>1120622
no I mean oftentimes a one way ticket is actually more expensive than a round-trip ticket so you could just book a round trip ticket and just don't show up for the flight back
>>
File: Butler-Café.jpg (300KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
Butler-Café.jpg
300KB, 600x411px
These threads usually mention where to get girls, but where can I meet guys in Japan? Usual club spots?
>>
>>1120659
Onsens, just stare at them until they get the message
>>
>>1120535
At least you have two legs so if you lose one it's not THAT big of a deal. Japanese poison ivy causes nerve damage, but unless you expose it to lots of sunlight, you probably won't need amputation.
>>
>>1120617
There's an island called... okumurishima (?) or something like that that's a little ways away that is known as a "Rabbit Island" with lots of wild rabbits everywhere that will come climb all over you for food. There's also an abandoned WW2-era chemical weapons plant there that you can see, pretty romantic.
>>
I'm flying via Japan to do an internship in another Asian country. On my way back I've decided to stay in Japan for awhile and preferably see the Western (Southern?) parts of the country.
As for now I've booked the tickets so that I'll have about three weeks in Japan but I'm thinking that the stay is a bit too long for my budget, so I'm thinking about changing it. Question is, should I do it for two or one week?
I really want to see Hiroshima and Miyaji but it would be really cool to go to some places in Kyushu as well. How much time would I need to do this? I've been to Tokyo, Kyoto etc. before so I'm just interested in going to the western parts.
>>
>>1120671
Was there two days ago. Videos on youtube don't really show how great it is. Literally thousands of rabbits everywhere and barely any people on the island. Was one of my favorite parts of my japan trip and even met a qt indonesian gurl there and we explored the island together. You can let your baggage at the ferry point for a fee, buy cheap rabbit food and move over to the island. It's beautiful and filled with nothing but rabbits which are going to surround and jump you if they hear the rabbit food bag rustling

Oh, and you can camp there
>>
>>1120682
I haven't been that far west/south in Japan, but if you include both Honshu west of Kobe, and Kyushu, there should be things to fill a couple of weeks.
Tottori, Izumo
Hiroshima, Nagasaki,
Mts. Aso and Sakurajima (active volcanoes)
Some islands off the southern tip of Kyushu: Tanegashima, Yakushima
>>
>>1119749
you'll be fine. That's what I always do. It's a bit more stressful but a smartphone will help.
>>
>get into Tokyo earlier
>head to Akihabara as it was easily navigable from my hostel, and the metro system was wrecking my head
>forget to go to Super Potato while I'm there

Fug. Good excuse to go back I guess.

Any other good spots there for retro games?

Also in the market for a raspberry pi or a drone if there are any obvious places for those
>>
Is it possible to buy alcohol at bars and karaoke and such even if you're under 20? I'm going to Tokyo in two week, but I'm only 18

Also any specific bars around Shinjuku to be recommended?
>>
>>1120711
it's not technically allowed but people don't card in bars/stores etc. but clubs often card
>tfw 20th birthday the day after i leave japan
>>
Does anybody know what the tech startup scene is like in Tokyo and/or what other cities it would be in?

Think it might be fun to spend some time in Japan, but I don't like working remotely.
>>
File: 1464539110590.gif (55KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
1464539110590.gif
55KB, 450x338px
>>1120711
>>1120718
I'm turning 20 this june and going there late july.
>>
>>1120208
>>1120583
Just keep saving up til you hit at least 3-4k.

I'm actually aiming for 10k by 2018 before I actually go all out and have some fun in Japan.
>>
>>1120740
>Does anybody know what the tech startup scene is like in Tokyo and/or what other cities it would be in?
>Think it might be fun to spend some time in Japan, but I don't like working remotely.
Should be the same as any other major city. I worked for a small time tech company in Tokyo for 12 months, plenty of services available to assist small companies and startups. Offices are actually quite cheap and decent to come by, but very very small compared to US/European standards.

You still need a working visa, the one where you want to establish a new company there requires you to have a load of cash in your bank.

It's going to be extremely hard figuring out how to do stuff if your Japanese, especially your written, isn't near native level. And on the same note, since it's all alien to you, forget about knowing and applying for all the juicy startup grants that you would normally apply for.

Lastly, you really should have a valid reason for doing it there and not just at home, saying you did it just cuz Japan doesn't really cut it if you have no prior connections to the country
On the other note, what kind of tech field are you targeting? I'm working at a startup back home doing web application stuff, payed for my 5 week trip to Tokyo coming up this summer.
>>
>>1120749
Yeah, I figured that the written language would stop me from being able to actually ever start my own company over there, or at least doing so efficiently. My connections to Japan are all second hand ones as well. My thoughts was that there would probably be a group of ex-patriots already operating that I could join for a year or two.

It would be fun to do a spin on predictive analytics on products from Japan to US. Maybe build a service that helps companies determine the viability of their exporting of products / tech.

To be honest I am just bored with living in the cultures I grew up in and want to take my talents on the road somewhere. But working from home / remote is deadly.
>>
>>1120754
>It would be fun to do a spin on predictive analytics on products from Japan to US. Maybe build a service that helps companies determine the viability of their exporting of products / tech.
Sounds like something that requires a lot of in depth knowledge on the particular fields you are targeting, getting viable data, lots of time analyzing. In short a long way from inception to making money.

And you basically would need to hire a Japanese sales guy once you got all that covered, no way are you breaking into the sales culture there on your own with no prior experience.

It's not like I haven't had my own thought's on the subject, but finding an idea worth pursuing is hard for a normal startup, thrice so for doing it in a foreign country, double that again for targeting Japan as an outsider.

But then again I personally know people who have pulled it off, so I'm not going to say it's impossible, just very very hard
>>
>>1120718
This. Went to a bunch of bars but got denied entry to the one club I wanted to k to. Tfw turning 20 three weeks after leave.
>>
What is the best company that rents out those little mobile wifi things?

Are these guys legit?

http://japan-wireless.com/
>>
>>1120825
>What is the best company that rents out those little mobile wifi things?

I'm looking for data sims

I guess I will end up heading to bic-camera and get a migraine from the advertisements playing, trying to pick one out on my own before I get jumped by one of the salesmen there who will hand me an 11 page contract to go trough

Still have nightmares about that, it seriously took me 4 hours of talking with the guy to buy my previous cellphone
>>
The exchange rate at the mall is 95 for a dollar, should I convert a portion here or wait and withdraw at a 7/11 over there
>>
>>1120890
Check xe dummy
>>
>>1120890
impossible to answer, do your research
>>
Is Tinder worth it in Japan, or am I just wasting my time since I'm a filthy gaijin.
>>
>>1120923
>Is Tinder worth it in Japan, or am I just wasting my time since I'm a filthy gaijin.
If you can hook up at home with it, it's very much worth it over there
>>
Saw an idol show in dotenbori in osaka today, was cool as hell since i just happened to walk past. Cute girls too

>>1120923
Most of the girls on tinder seem to speak some English. Every one i talk to stops responding when I suggest we meet up though ;_;
>>
Going to Tokyo June 13-23rd. Suggest anything to do? Im stationed in Japan but im not anywhere near Tokyo. Any way to make friends or meet people?
>>
>tfw not born Japanese
>>
File: DSC00113.jpg (7MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00113.jpg
7MB, 5152x3864px
>>
>>1120926
... what if I can't hook up with people at home.
because I can't get good pictures
not exactly white
don't exactly have a high social standing or many friends
>>
>>1120955
>... what if I can't hook up with people at home.
>because I can't get good pictures
>not exactly white
>don't exactly have a high social standing or many friends
Fake it until you make it I guess
>>
>>1120825
I'm trying to decide from Sakura Mobile, Japan Wifi and Pocket Wifi. I might go with Pocket Wifi since they also offer the Japan Rail Pass and they'll send directly to my hotel.
>>
Going to Okinawa in September. Suggestions please
>>
>>1120967
Typhoon season, guy.
>>
Spending my last full day in Kyoto tomorrow, have already seen all the major temples. Any suggestions on what else to check out?
>>
Staying in Ginza, Tokyo.

Where do I go on weekday nights to meet average Japanese girls?
>>
>>1120551
Now that I've finally gone to all of the ones I wanted to I can reply to my own post. I'd say Nara was my least favorite, even though the temples and deer were really nice. Outside of that I felt like there wasn't much that kept me interested that I found. Overall though I haven't really disliked any of the big cities I went to (Tokyo, Kyoto Nara and Osaka)

>>1120322
Thanks breh, Todaiji was a pretty neat area.
>>
Is it difficult to get around Tokyo?

How do I know what chome I'm in?
>>
>>1120956
what does that have to do with tindering? do random hookups ask how many friends you have?
your problem is shit self confidence and that won't magic away in japan
>>
>>1120985
no

look at the signs
>>
>>1120741
>>1120718
Turning 20 in July when I'm there.
>>
>realise HEY has the best collection of shmups in Tokyo

Welp, I know where I'm headed tomorrow
>>
>>1120974
meetup.com, bars, clubs
>>
>>1120967
Naha?
>>
Looking to go Japan in Spring or Autumn (Fall) for around a couple of months. If anyone here has traveled there during those times of the year my question is what clothes should I pack? (how many clothes you pack would be good to know too)

I plan to do plenty of hiking but I don't know how cold (or hot) it might get on the different islands.

I presume I'll be fine just packing some hiking shoes (not boots, to save space). Some light quick dry trousers, my down jacket and water proofs.

What would you wear to not look out of place in urban areas? Not that I care too much since being white would make me look out of place but I tend to dress a bit smarter in cities if I can. I could just stick to inconspicuous dark walking trousers to use in the city as well as for hiking?

Itinerary-wise perhaps I could start/finish in Hokkaido in Summer or alternatively end the journey close to Winter in Kyushu?
>>
would it be difficult to travel around without knowing japanese at all?
>>
>>1121067
the weather is usually pretty fair, depending on where you are from, it might be warmer than where you live (e.g. if you are from Central Europe). They have Uniqlo and other shops where you can get pretty cheap stuff if you need it

As for clothes in Urban areas: during the summer months (July or August) shorts will also be worn by Japanese, outside of that proper pants would be recommended. But yeah since you're a baka gaijin anyways it doesn't really matter that much really.

Hokkaido to Kyushu seems nice, especially if you have enough time to travel through all parts of the islands.
>>1121072
no
>>
>>1121075
I'm from the UK so I expect Hokkaido to be like Scotland (but with bears and monkeys), Shikoku to be like Wales (Pretty but 30 years in the past) and Kyushu.. well, Spain.
>>
Hey guys, does anybody know how strict the customs in China are?
I have a stopover in Xiamen and was thinking of bringing back some lewd stuff on my way back home. Will they even gun me down for having an clothed oppai mousepad?
>>
>>1121106
>Will they even gun me down for having an clothed oppai mousepad?
It will only cost you your humility
>>
>>1121117
b-but will they take my stuff away from me
>>
>>1121106
they'll see you're coming from Japan

what, you think you're the first?
>>
>>1121122
No, that's why I'm asking what level of lewd is allowed or is it really zero tolerance
>>
>>1120791

I made a thread yesterday and I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight on what I could do and if this is a possible plan.
>>
>>1121124
There's plenty of the same shit in China. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>1121141
Yes you can, go backpacking.
>>
>>1121099
can't really say much about Hokkaido or Shikoku since I've never been there but Kyushu is not really like Spain imo. Maybe if you go to the south or to some islands, but otherwise there's a lot of nature, onsen, some interesting cities (Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Kagoshima) and a decent volcano (Mt. Aso). Temperature wise it's also not that much different from say Tokyo or Osaka
>>
Going to Japan for 7 weeks in two days.

No fucking idea what I'm gonna do that time, other than visit Kyoto and Tokyo.

50$ daily budget. Wish me luck. Or whatever, don't.
>>
>>1121203
>50$ daily budget
That's pretty weak, anon.

Live a little!
>>
>>1121214
>50$ daily budget
>That's pretty weak, anon.
>Live a little!
It's ok for 7 weeks, once he has been in tokyo for a week he can slow down his spending during weekdays and go full out on weekends
>>
File: t.jpg (85KB, 660x420px) Image search: [Google]
t.jpg
85KB, 660x420px
I'll be in Tokyo for the first time next week, got my days vaguely mapped out.
Is Shinmokitazawa worth checking out for live music and bars, or should I stick around Shibuya?

Have any of you been to Liveholic?

I'm also thinking Yurakucho for a chilled last night before an early flight home?
>>
>>1120974
Yeh, WHICH ONES ACTUALLY HAVE PEOPLE ON WEEKDAYS was my question, thanks.
>>
>>1120974
>>1121241

Weekdays are pretty quiet. Use Tinder or go to Takadanobaba Station and hope you get lucky.
>>
>>1120970
Did you visit Gion? It's nice, and you may see a geisha/maiko in the late afternoon/evening.
>>
>>1121220
that looks comfy as hell
>>
>>1121162
Is backpacking considered a better or worse option than tours when it comes to Japan?

Also my planned tour throughout Japan would probably be:

Tokyo -> Excursion to Mt. Fuji -> Kyoto -> Hiroshima/Mayajima Island -> Tokyo
>>
>>1121265
*my planned guide if I decide to go just backpacking by myself
>>
>>1121265
Can you just not take your sedan-sized baggage on the trains during rush hour? Really sucks when you're just trying to get to work.
>>
>>1121265
Also, if you have the time you're near Kyoto, consider taking a diversion to Mt. Koya and spend the night in a Buddhist temple.Cooler weather, which would be a break if you go in summer.
>>
>>1121267
Oh I'm not the trips to Fuji, Kyoto and Hiroshima are gonna be like day excursions or whatever you call them. That was just a plan on how my days would look like, my luggage will be back in a hotel in Tokyo (unless this isn't possible or anything)
>>
>>1121273
That sounds really nice honestly. This plan is still in the early stages and this is honestly gonna be my first time traveling by myself so I don't really know what to do
>>
>>1121275
From experience, trust me when I say you don't want to do those as day trips, it's over 2 hours to Kyoto and over 4 to Hiroshima by shinkansen. You'll feel rushed and not have time to see as much.

Try and schedule it so you can stay there, and move back to Tokyo at the end.

>>1121280
Mt. Koya is gorgeous, and it seems a lot of people overlook it.

http://eng.shukubo.net/
>>
>>1121251
I haven't actually, so that looks pretty nice. Thanks anon
>>
>>1121283
No problem, just don't try and go in any closed gates or take pictures of the geisha without asking, just good manners. Did you go to Fushimi Inari too?
>>
>>1121282
Sounds about right, just thinking about the day excursions sounds stressful enough right now lol. So would there be a certain amount of days that seems enough to see each city? Plus when it comes to luggage I don't usually pack a lot so it would only be like 2 bags at most when I go to the train.

And yes Mt. Koya does look gorgeous, I'm definitely adding that to my plans including the night stay at a Buddhist temple
>>
File: Koyasan2.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Koyasan2.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>1121287
You'd need at least a full day to see all the major temples in Kyoto (Kiyomizudera, Kinkajuji, Ginakuji, Fushimi Inari, etc), and assuming you'd want to do Miyajima-A-Bomb Museum-Hiroshima Castle in some order, another day there as well as well.

Baggage is fine on local trains, I was just kidding because I hate when I'm going to work/home during rush hour and there's someone with 80 big bags taking all the space.

Pic related is me at Koyasan.
>>
>>1121284
Yeah I read that geisha's were getting pissed that so many tourists would just take their pictures without permission. I'm considering going to Inari if I have extra time, but although I really like Shinto designs and architecture, I feel like I've seen enough within the past week to last me a long time heh.
>>
>>1121290
It does get a bit repetitive after a while, and it's a bit of a hike up to the top, but still pretty nice.
>>
File: DSC00129.jpg (5MB, 3864x5152px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00129.jpg
5MB, 3864x5152px
>>
>>1120590
American Spirits?
>>
>>1121106
Literally me in about 6 hours. Wish me luck
>>
I've lived here 3 years and been to many places, including many castles.

Is Matsumoto castle so breaktakingly amazing to warrant a 2-3 hour trip eacj way and total of 10,000 yen trip for the castle alone?

Its so far out of the way of everytjing except Nagano which I have no interest in visiting
>>
Welp, about to leave for the capital to take the flight, after 29 hours, I'll be in Japan. Will try and post again if I'm able to & see if anyone wants to meet up in Tokyo next week. l8r guys
>>
>>1121323
>29 hours to Japan
Holy fuck, what. Where do you live, the moon?

9 hours for me from Europe.
>>
File: 1460131535239.jpg (519KB, 800x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1460131535239.jpg
519KB, 800x1013px
>>1120534
I went 2 weeks on 1200 euro. 500 for plane tickets (commie airline during low season) and 300 for cheap business hotel in Chuo Ku. Remaining 400 was food (lots of cheap places where you can eat for <5), transportation (metro is cheap) and some souvenirs/admission/arcade costs.
>>
>>1121382
>Holy fuck, what. Where do you live, the moon?
>9 hours for me from Europe.
Cheap tickets I'm guessing. I too booked some with a tad too long stopovers to get it cheap.
>>
>>1121382
24 hours to me, but i have a 9 hour stopover
was only 540€ though
>>
File: 1259921319488.jpg (1MB, 2912x1821px) Image search: [Google]
1259921319488.jpg
1MB, 2912x1821px
>>1121415
540€ one way or both ways? Both, I'm hoping.

9 hour straight for me, 700€ both ways.
>>
File: 1463121272472.jpg (164KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463121272472.jpg
164KB, 640x480px
>>1121417
both ways
i figure slacking at an airport is worth 10€/hour, especially since the airline is good and i booked pretty late
>>
>>1121304
Godspeed anon, do share the experience
>>
>>1121421
>Godspeed anon, do share the experience
it's already been 6 hours, he's now on death row for contraband immoral item possession
>>
>>1121304
>>1121426
rip anon
>>
>>1121415
13 hours for me with a 1 hour stop-over each way, only costed €560 in total with economy+ seating included.

>bless Finnair and their weird occasional bargains
>>
>>1121463
€730 with air china and two stops. Still good considering the price, altough that finnair bargain looks mighty good
>>
Plane tickets from europe seem pretty cheap now, i book return tickets for 470€ from my city in norther italy to tokyo with 2hrs stopover in rome, in september. Alitalia is not the best but its decent, i even found 370€ return with some chinese planes and weird stopovers but thought against it.
>>
>>1121463
>>1121468
>>1121478
>tfw faster tickets are available now for the same price, 18h instead of 24 which i already booked
a-at least it's emirates and not t*rkish
>>
It's been fun. I'm real glad I came to Japan, but I think if I stayed any longer my mental health wouldve suffered. Got severe >tfw no gf while here because of the high amounts of cute girls everywhere with boyfriends.

>>1121293
Went to Gion and to Inari today, they were both pretty nice. Saw one geisha, and I kind of wanted to ask to take a picture with her but I didn't. Tons of girls in kimonos everywhere in Gion though
>>
>>1121248
>Takadanobaba Station

Whats at Takadanobaba Station ?
>>
>>1121512
College kids but they're all going to restaurants in groups.
>>
>>1121516
So.... how would one pick up if they are in groups?
>>
>>1121517
No clue, which is why I think its bad advice
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 130x130px
>>1119693
Here are my questions
> How much money is it to live there
> How much does living cost
> What are easy but well paying jobs
> How decent are the books

How I can know. Learning Hiragana and basic Kanji.
>>
Fuck it's annoying not being able to read hiragana.

I speak Mandarin, so I can read kanji (or just pleco it if I'm stuck), but hiragana are a pain. All the delicious shit is written in hiragana.

Also, how does Japanese map to kanji, is it one sound mapped to one character like Chinese, or is it something else?
>>
>>1121531
hiragana and katakana can easily be learned in a weekend. Stop being lazy

And kanji all have atleast 2 pronunciations, usually much more than that.
>>
>>1121531
Japanese pronunciation 水 (みず=mizu) plus "Chinese" pronunciation 水 (すい=sui)

and many more... Kanji is bullshit
>>
>>1121531
Hiragana and katakana are easy. I'm preparing for a trip next summer and I figured I can ease my way into the language between now and then, and I learned hiragana and katakana in one week, and that's with little sessions of about 30 minutes a day (occasionally doing two lessons a day because I found it fun). I used a book called "Remembering the Kana" I think, found it in a torrent with Genki I and II.
>>
>>1121382
>>1121415
>>1121417
>>1121463
9hrs, no stopovers, 560€. Never had a deal as bad as you guys, where do you look for tickets?
>>
Anyone else really dislike Chinese tourists after staying in Japan?
>>
getting into Tokyo at midnight tonight, gonna just stay awake till tomorrow, should i just dick around in shinjuku or shibuya and like eat/drink until morning?
>>
>>1121782
Yes you should do that
>>
>>1121614
Have you not caught on to the core difference between kanji and latin letters yet?

Lattin letters are used to convey sounds/pronounciations, kanji is used to convey concepts
>>
>>1121747
I'm the Finnair anon, and I live 2 hours away from Finland (by flight). No direct flights from my country, so this is the closest to direct that I can get.

>>1121531
realkana . com is your friend anon. I learned hiragana and katakana in a weekend with the help of that website.
>>
Anyone wanna kick it in Osaka tonight? Drink? Walk around? I'm near Namba.
>>
>>1121747
Is your flight in July? shit seems to get 50% more expensive then.
>>
>>1121800
Latin letters are not used in Japanese
>>
>>1121848
>having autism
>>
Just got into osaka, staying near shinimamiya station.

Where should I go for some good ramen? I'm usually a guidebook junkie but I could only fit one for Tokyo in my bag this time.
>>
>>1121850
>being bad at Japanese
>>
Hey guys, is it possible to comfortably see Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka in 7 days?
>>
What are some interesting places open 24 hours in Tokyo? I'm not really interested in dance clubs, but comfy bars are ok
>>
>>1121889
Guy doing exactly that here

No, you'll spend a wasteful amount of time going between places.

Wish I had like a month for Tokyo, so much to do there. Osaka seems nice so far, but only arrived this evening (that travel time I mentioned)
>>
There's a big chance I'll be living in Japan for one year starting next September, probably Osaka.

I was wondering, does anybody know how costly it is to send letters internationally? To Europe more precisely. I want to send letters to my family and friends while I'm there. I fucking love the stationary in Japanese 100 yen shops and all so I'm planning on making really good use of them.
>>
>>1121900
Thats what I thought. I have flights booked to Tokyo with 2 other friends and they're wanting to see Osaka just for Universal Studios and I just think its just unviable.
>>
>>1121905
Oh I mean, you could do it, but imo you'd be as well off spending that time in Tokyo, doing day trips from there. Kind of wish I'd done that instead, but fuck it, osaka seems like a chill place
>>
>>1121904
If it's anything like China, it'll take fucking aaaaaages to arrive. Like 2 months or so to Europe from what I remember
>>
DON'T THINK JUST POST

What dishes do you NEED to eat in Japan
>>
>>1121766
I really dislike Chinese tourists after staying anywhere
>>
>>1119696
This is inescapable in Japan, howaitos everywhere.

Lot more possible to be that one special foreign celebrity in the restaurant in China, but it means the revulsion towards other howaitos intruding on your space. Hence the phenomenon of the lower death stare
>>
>>1119841
Someone post the tsunami pasta
>>
>>1121468
€600 return to Korea from Dublin with Air France

Comfortable flight times and layovers, one stop, free booze on the flights and decent movies, couldn't have worked out better.

Racking up dem air miles too
>>
Hey I'm going to Tokyo very soon. What are some essential phone apps that will come in handy during my stay?
Like maps, translation help, tourist information and the like.
>>
>>1121922
I get by fine with google maps, I downloaded like 20 apps, and haven't had any real use for them.

Additionally google translate has a thing where you take a photo of something and it will then pick up the language and translate, I have found that to be very useful.
>>
>>1121928
Great, gotta try google translate.
Google maps needs to stay online to work, any ideas for offline maps?
>>
>>1121309
I loved Matsumoto castle. I thought it was better than Himeji-jo. Matsumoto is lovely in general. I would not go there just for the castle, but I would go there to visit the town again. If you decide to go, check out Matsumoto Rekishi no Sato (History Village) - it's Japan's oldest wooden courthouse and it's very cool to walk around in there.

While you're in the region, you should check out other alps towns such as Kamikochi, Takayama, Kanazawa, and Shirakawa-go. I spent 5 days here and I loved it.
>>
>>1121911
Wow, that'd be a huge bummer, I was thinking of sending stuff every two weeks or so.
>>
>>1121968
Japan is more advanced than China, though. Probably 3-4 weeks.
>>
I'm only finding conflicting information on the Tokyo Subway Pass.

It seems you can buy them at the airport and select places around Tokyo (not the stations themselves) but only if it's part of a travel journey you booked with them.

Does that mean I can't get a 3 Day Subway Pass as a normal tourist?
>>
>>1121982
I'm interested in this as well.
>>
>>1121985
>>1121982
>Does that mean I can't get a 3 Day Subway Pass as a normal tourist?
You can buy a Pasmo or Suica card at any subway ticket machine in the entire city. Dunno about tourists passes, but it's so cheap anyway
>>
>>1121987

Doesn't the Suica card just mean you've got credit on it but pay normal subway fare?
>>
>>1121988
yeah, its not that bad tho
>>
What are Japanese hotels like with bringing back Japanese girls back to the room? I have a single room to myself; do Japanese girls invite guys to their homes?
>>
>>1121912
Okonomiyaki
Tsukkemen
Ramen
>>
>>1121912
Japanese girls.
>>
What's a good place for Nomihodai (All you can drink) in Tokyo?
>>
>>1121993
love hotels are a thing mostly
>>1122037
every karaoke ever. There's a cheap Izakaya on the top floor of that one building with McDonald's with cheap Nomihodai and Yakitori
>>
There's requests to meetup on this thread, but I'm just curious if you guys had good experiences meeting people from /trv/. No one usually comments saying they had a good time at the meetup, so I always assume some anons got murdered
>>
>>1122043
I met with a guy from /trv/ once. Ended up getting scammed in a brothel and I woke up in the hospital with a 7k yen bill and no recollection of how I got there or what happened that night. Pretty fun overall, I'd say go for it
>>
>>1122043
>There's requests to meetup on this thread, but I'm just curious if you guys had good experiences meeting people from /trv/. No one usually comments saying they had a good time at the meetup, so I always assume some anons got murdered
I usually bring them to roppongi, make sure they get wasted, and get my cut from the nigerians afterwards
>>
>>1122043
I'd be interested in legit comments about this as well. Femanon here, gonna be traveling around the country on my own this summer. Could be fun to meet some fellow anons if I start feeling particularly homesick.
>>
Studying abroad in Japan this fall semester (Late August - Late December)

I'll be in the Kansai region, and I'm looking to do research on various Shinto shrines/Buddhist temples. Could anyone recommend some lesser known sites outside of Osaka/Kyoto/Nara?

Also, what should I do about a phone? Internet has given me a range of answers, from bringing my iPhone and changing its region to buying a keitai denwa, so I'm not sure what actually makes the most sense
>>
So, does anybody actually have any experience with Tokyo Hentai Club? I wanna hear all about it, seems like a fun time
>>
>>1121904
Letters are super cheap to send, maybe 200-500 yen. They should arrive in a couple weeks as long as you choose air mail.
>>
Are Japanese language courses IN Japan worth the money? Do you need to be at a minimum JLPT level for it to be worth it?

I'm working a job for a maximum of 12 months to save for my travel. If I don't get bored and quit before said 12 months I will have plenty saved up.
I will want to spend a minimum of 2-3 months in Japan but I could stay for an extended period as a student if I have the cash.
>>
>>1121914
>Hence the phenomenon of the lower death stare

Please explain this phenomenon, dont know anything about it.
>>
>>1122104
have you ever learned a language before?

you will need to be selective. most of them are idiot traps. I suppose they teach the idiots about as well as an idiot can be taught, but they won't learn the language via those schools, and neither will you in all likelihood.

they're used to more than 99% of foreigners never becoming functionally proficient in japanese. so there's really no businesses set up to cater to people who actually ARE capable of fluency. there's just exorbitant costing businesses that rob the guillible who assume that it works because it's expensive.

the only functional fluency programs cater to the chinese minority, beause they work harder and the barrier to literacy is much lower.
>>
>>1119861
>>1119862
>>1119870
From boyfriends duh.
>>
File: legday.gif (35KB, 180x220px) Image search: [Google]
legday.gif
35KB, 180x220px
Why is the lonely planet book so bad? I don't get why people say they know Asia.
Is this itinerary any good?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_12.html
>>
>>1121512
>>1121516
>>1121517
>>1121518

You'll find lots of people not in groups too, it' s a hang out spot. Like I said though, weekdays are pretty dead.

>>1121519
>> How much money is it to live there
>> How much does living cost

Depends on where you live

> What are easy but well paying jobs

My sides, Anon.

> How decent are the books

Kanzen Master series is really good.

>>1121766
Only time I've seen a person shit on the street.

>>1121889
Assuming you plan to stay in those cities while seeing them, yes, but it might be a bit rushed. JR Pass is cheap, of course, but see what it would cost you to fly from Haneda to Itami area.

>>1121904
EMS rates went up yesterd>>1121932
ay

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

>>1121932
Make sure you enable it to work offline.

>>1121993
Get a love hotel, even if you have a room. They're better equipped for a bang.
>>
>>1121982
Sakura hostel in Asakusa sells them anyway. Tbh I'd say you could walk in and try and get one, if they didn't know you weren't a guest
>>
>>1122043
>>1122054
Also a grill here.
I traveled in Japan a month last year alone. Met a /trv/anon in Kyoto. He was a bit younger than me and British (I'm USA). We only hung out one evening, but it was a lot of fun. Of course both of us had uncertainties about meeting beforehand. However it worked out great! No regrets.

On the flip side I'm also this anon >>1121817
I've posted a few times now with no luck or interest replies. So maybe I'm just lucky that British boy met up with me at all.
>>
>>1122106
http://www.laowaicomics.com/post/59100212459/the-all-time-readers-favorite-lds-laowai-death

It sounds retarded, but if you're in a spot where you're the only white guy, and you see another one, you sort of passive aggressively stare at each other, or just don't act friendly (whereas you'd expect two white people to say hi or chat if they came across each other)

Happens occasionally, it's pretty much what that anon was talking about
>>
>>1122142
Did modified versions of the itineraries this week.

They're okay, not amazing. I swapped in more akihabara.

The foodie itinerary IS really good though. Turret Coffee is a great recommendation, as is breakfast in tsujiki market.

The maps are total dogshit though. Wish I'd just bought one of the pocket WiFi things and uses Google maps and Foursquare for everything
>>
>>1122177
Sorry, the lonely planet itineraries I mean
>>
>>1122176
Good old gaijin glare, always fun to run into a foreigner who's day is ruined because you're not visiting/living in Japan as well as they are.
>>
>>1121932
heard about maps with me from couple threads ago. free for both ios and android versions.
>>
>>1121932
this please
>>1122209
nothing came up with that name in the app store.
Best offline map app please?
>>
>>1122220
Probably meant "maps.me".
>>
>tfw been home for a week now from glorious nippon

how do you guys cope with the withdrawal?
>>
File: Tanabata2.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Tanabata2.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>1122250
I didn't leave. 10 years this summer.
>>
File: 1422673789956.gif (301KB, 270x271px) Image search: [Google]
1422673789956.gif
301KB, 270x271px
>>1122175
>>
>>1122250
>>1122257
Yep. 6 years for me.
>>
I am having a lot of trouble finding a sex shopnin Osaka. Anyone provide some locations?
I went to Oda Nobunaga Shoten in Denden, but it's all DVD. And I can't find the entrance to the shop with the toys and costumes.
>>
Will go to Tokyo next month, any recommendation on visiting Akiba?
>>
File: 1464846564135.jpg (2MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1464846564135.jpg
2MB, 2048x1365px
Why is Japan so beautiful?

I'm not even talking about the countryside (which is also beautiful) I haven't seen metropolitan cities look so comfy before.

I don't want to come off as a weeb or something.
But I realize how aesthetically pleasing the buildings look.
>their color
>their shape

Is it because I grew up watching anime or something?

Can anyone else relate?
>>
I've wanted to visit Japan (I was thinking about having a first trip to Tokyo about 1 week long) for a long time now, but I have some questions. I am 18 now, and I would like to go there next summer, when I will be 19. How much can I do being 19 in Japan? A friend of mine that lived there for a year told me that people treat you as a kid until you are 20, but I don't know if that applies to tourists as well. Also, can I stay a week there without knowing any Japanese? I could bring one of those books with basic phrases and stuff, but I wanted to know if English is enough.

Any other recommendations? If I learned some Japanese between now and the next year, I was thinking that I could spend the whole summer working at a hostel there.
>>
>>1122317
How much money do you have saved up rn?
>>
>>1122340
About 200 yuros
>>
>>1122309
have you actually visited japan? the suburbs looks like shit, like cambodia
>>
>>1121932
Started using mapme earlier.

Slow as balls but does the job. Maps are good, too
>>
File: 1464729176357.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1464729176357.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1122365
yea but even the shitty part is aesthetic.
No I've never been.
No point in going if I can't speak the language.

I'm not weeb enough to learn it.
>>
>>1122306
HEY is great for beatemups and shmups

Though the taito station in Osaka is pretty suh-weet for shmups too. Had many, many games of Triggerheart Exelica there earlier (in osaka), no idea when I'll see that in a cabinet again, if ever
>>
>>1122257
>>1122287
How did you stay? Aren't there sizable barriers to immigrating with visas and all that?
>>
>>1122250
Had this after China

Four years later and I'm still trying to find a way back there that isn't a short holiday or teaching English.

Kipling (or Orwell? I forget) said that "there is a special kind of hell reserved for those who leave their hearts in a hated country." Describes my situation perfectly
>>
>>1121932
Why do you need offline, there is coverage literally everywhere in Japan
>>
>>1120551
Sapporo in the summer was grey and depressing.
>>
>>1122176

I've never actually encountered that. Everytime I met another white guy in a place where I thought I was the only one we always got along well. When I was hiking in China I encountered another white guy (from Switzerland) and we started talking about how shit hiking is in China compared to the Alps and hung out for the rest of the day.
>>
New bread, sorry for the delay :3 >>1122580
>>
>>1121295
That's looks like a pretty neat experience!
Was that part of a hike?
>>
>>1121487
>l think if l stayed any Ionger my mentaI heaIth wouIdve suffered. Got severe tfw no gf whiIe here because of the high amounts of cute girIs everywhere with boyfriends

l am cringing so fucking hard at this.
>>
>>1122598
That's the Kinkaku-ji in Kyōto
>>
>>1122448
>No point in going if I can't speak the language.

wew, you must not travel a lot if that's preventing you from traveling desu
>>
>>1122600
where do you think you are?
>>
What are some fun and cheap backpacker hostels in Tokyo? I don't care for the quality of the hostel at all, it just has to have good vibes and a chilled out atmosphere to meet other people and travellers. And be cheap, duh. I'd rather there be no curfew as well. I've been looking at Backpacker Hostel D, Tokyo Guesthouse Toco, Bunka Hostel Tokyo, Grids Hostel Lounge Akihabara. Do any of these fit my brief? Would you recommend some other hostel? Thanks.
>>
File: img01_01.jpg (198KB, 700x477px) Image search: [Google]
img01_01.jpg
198KB, 700x477px
Gonna stay in Tokyo for two weeks this summer. Wanna make some day trips using Tokyo as a base as well, I was thinking of visiting Kyoto, Atami, Hiroshima (+ the rabbit island!), and Mt. Fuji.

Is Atami worth visiting first and foremost? Would be awesome to spend a day on the beach, but maybe there are better beach locations nearby Tokyo? Do you recommend doing a day trip to Fuji? What is the best station to stop at near Fuji if you wanna do a short hike? I'd like to see some beautiful vistas even if I'm just gonna spend a day there. Also, has anyone visited the rabbit island outside Hiroshima? Is it a good idea to visit the island and then spend a night (or two) in Hiroshima? Thanks.
>>
File: weeb fantasy no 7.jpg (426KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
weeb fantasy no 7.jpg
426KB, 900x600px
>>1119693
Where is the best place to go drifting?

What sort of car should I rent?
>>
>>1123064
Idk about Atami, but I went on a day trip to Enoshima 2 years ago, which was really nice. There are actually quite a lot of things to do on the island, besides going to the beach.
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.