[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am planing on getting my Master's abroad next fall. If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 650x365_basel_sommer_650x365_1.jpg (73KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
650x365_basel_sommer_650x365_1.jpg
73KB, 650x365px
I am planing on getting my Master's abroad next fall. If you had the option of living in one of these cities for two years, which would you decide?

Helsinki, Finland
Basel, Switzerland
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Copenhagen, Denmark

Close proximity to scenery/nature is a huge bonus for me. I'll be 25 when I leave, and know nobody. I grew up in Sacramento, so am very down to get somewhere with a cooler climate.
>>
>>1114825
I just can speak for Basel:
If your Master is Pharmacology related or anything close it might be your best bet as you can easily score a job there if you want and the university is funded by all the big players in the industry.
Pros:
>you can be all over switzerland/france/germany within 4h so there's enough nature or travel opportunities
>You're about 2h away from great ski/snowboard locations by train
>comfy place with ok tier nightlife and events
Negatives:
>it's expensive, and I mean expensive. You will probably cross the border to germany to buy groceries or eat out for 50% off often but as it's only about 5km it's not that bad...
>>
Finland has lots of nature available everywhere and it's a huge part of local interaction and probably the greatest part of experiencing the country, but other than that I wouldn't recommend spending two years if you don't have anything solid to do here.

And I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for when you say 'cool', but Finland at summer isn't anywhere as cold as people seem to think. It can and will be as high as 35 degrees Celsius, and at most sunny days it'll be around 25.

t. mongol
>>
>>1114837
I plan to study design. The place seems like a dream, sans the money aspect

>>1114838
My studies would take up most of my time. Do you think I would run out of things to do there?
>>
>>1114825
I know nothing about any of those choices but i would go with Finland or Denmark, with more priority for Finland. Both seem like beautiful countries to me but finland is one of the last Scand countries not tainted but shit skins.
>beautiful womenz
> beautiful scenery
>Sauna nude
> snow

idk sounds like paradise to me
>>
>>1114843
Well I have no idea how good the uni is on the subject but Basel is a Arts/Design center so it can't be that bad with all the museums and expos.

It's really just the money aspect as I would say it's 2.7k CHF/month minimum even if you can score a student dorm and mostly cook your own food.
The good part is you can work with your visa and our local pubs love to hire native speakers.
>>
>>1114825

I studied in Eindhoven, and I would recommend it especially if you like an active student community (though not obnoxious). They also have big art and also tech scenes, so lots to do.

Location wise, you've got really easy travel to the rest of the Netherlands, West Germany, & central France less than 1.5 hours away.

I would recommend living around Buekenlaan . It is cheap as hell and attracts good familys / int students.
>>
>>1114825
>design
I would definitely choose Copenhagen. It's the most design-ish city of the ones you mentioned plus it's got a huge scene and is the most vibrant. Only cons would be there is no mountains close apart from the ones in norway maybe. You'd have northern europe beach scenery like (check Bornholm).

My second choice would be Basel but far behind. I guess it's a matter of what you value
>>
>>1114825
Copenhagen is BY FAR the funniest city of those. HOWEVER if you're going to study at DTU / Lyngby then don't bother. Live near the center if so.
>>
>>1115228
You mean funnest right?

No, I'm applying to the Royal Danish Academy (KADK). Another bonus of Copenhagen is that I have distant family there. Although, I traveled to Scandinavia last August and it would be nice to see another place.

Loved Copenhagen though.
>>
>>1115275
Yeah. Well i've never been to Helsinki, Basel or Eindhoven. However is it commonly known that Copenhagen is the cultural center of Scandinavia, and that the music/art scene is better than Helsinki/Stockholm etc.

However i just couldn't imagine Basel or Eindhoven to be that entertaining even though they have that germanic aesthethic.

However if you already been in Copenhagen then i don't really know.

I'm danish and currently living in Copenhagen btw so i'm pretty biased.
>>
>>1115285

Do you know anything about Design School Kolding? Or what kind of reputation it has?
>>
>>1114825
>Helsinki, Finland
University of Helsinki is bringing in fees for non-EU students in the next year. And degrees in the Nordic countries can be quite tricky; not all of them are designed for international students who want predictability. They're usually designed for local students who take much longer. Don't enroll in a degree in the Nordic countries unless you see evidence that it's specifically being marketed to foreigners.
>>
Hey OP, American here who studied design in Germany. I lived and studied in Regensburg, but I have been to all the cities on your list for various design conventions. I also did an internship in Copenhagen for 6 months. The cities you listed are great choices, not only for design education and the local design scene, but also for living in. Really, I would pick the one whose "design culture" seems to be more in line with what you like.

Most of the programs in Eindhoven, for example, feel quite experimental to me. I also feel like Dutch design in general incorporates humor, irony, and some shock value.

Copenhagen or Basel would be my picks because they are great places to live and it would be easy to find design employment there.

Have you visited schools in these cities yet? Applied yet?

You mentioned nature... Copenhagen doesn't really have that, unless you like marine life and sailing.

Lastly, Copenhagen and Helsinki are dark in the winter... I mean really fucking dark. Wet too. This can be depressing. I've made it through two scandi winters so far and I can't take it anymore. Summer can be awesome though.
>>
Copenhagen guy here again
>>1115287
Kolding is a shitty city in Jutland which is neither worth visiting or let alone live in. The academy has an OKAY reputation nationally, but it's not the royal academy.. It's more like... A gateway for high school girls to express creativity or some shit... But i might be sceptic.
>>1115542
Copenhagen has no nature to offer at all. The very least is a few minor forrests 30 minutes away by train. Sweden and Norway is close, but weekend trips are not that common around here.
>>
>>1114863
eindhoven is a total shithole compared to the other cities. Maybe the uni is good, but OP will have a way better time at any of the other options
>>
>>1115542
Thanks for the help, man. I have only visited Copenhagen, and for five days. I make an exception for the nature aspect on account of knowing some family there and it being so close to Norway.

The dark thing is definitely notable. I know someone who commutes to Sweden from Copenhagen and rarely sees the light of day. However, there is a chance I may come home for Christmas and avoid some of that.

I'll be applying later this year. I just really want to do my research for a two year stint.

>>1115600

Oh, then fuck that. Good insight. Will steer clear of Kolding.

>>1115606

What turned you off of Eindhoven? Just nothing to do?

Thanks for the help bros.
>>
>>1115529
I heard about this/ Fingers crossed Aalto tries to keep in line with tradition and charge the minimum they can...who knows.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.