[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in the first semester of University and I've started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: baylor.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
baylor.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
I'm in the first semester of University and I've started the process for an overseas exchange for next year, and I was wondering if I could get some help on what the different universities that my university offers as exchange schools would be good for, and what others would recommend.

From the US there is;
Baylor University
California Polytechnic State University
California State University Monterey Bay
Drexel University
Kirkwood College (TAFE)
Loyola Marymount University
Northeastern University
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
San Francisco State University
SUNY College Brockport
University of Cincinnati
Western Michigan University

and from Canada there is;
Concordia University
Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)
Okanagan College
Trent University
University of New Brunswick

Theres a bunch of ones from across the rest of the world but I'm more interested in going to North America at this stage then Europe or Asia.
>>
I live in the area RPI is in. It's a fantastic school, but for a foreigner, it might be a bit boring. There's fuck all to do here, however, there are several schools in the area, so a lot of kids go to parties and get drunk every day of the week, which is possible thanks to the massive student population. Since you mentioned TAFE, I'm assuming you're from Australia, in which case I would to like to point out that it gets very, very cold here, much colder than it gets in Europe. We're actually colder than Northern Sweden. It's also overcast constantly, so you can go a few weeks without seeing the sun. If you have anymore specific questions feel free to ask.

Two questions that'll probably help not just me, but other people looking to answer

How important are academics?
A lot of people don't actually learn while abroad, they just take easy classes that don't affect their major. Is that going to be the case here?

What are you looking to get out of this?
Do you want a small, rural town? One that's average in about every way possible? A large city with tall buildings and attractions? You picked North America for a reason, I'd like to know what you had in mind.
>>
>>1096849
Of the ones in Canada, Concordia would be good as it's in Montreal so you'd be right in the middle of a great city. My coworkers daughter is studying there right now and really likes it.

Don't pick KPU, it's in a shitty suburb. Okanagan College is in a small town that's really nice in the summers but not so great rest of the year. I don't know much about the other ones.

If I were you I'd just go to one of the choices in California. SF State would be awesome, right in the middle of San Fran. Loyola is right in the middle of LA. Cal Poly and Cal State Monterey are in small towns but close to the beach so you can go surfing a lot.

No one really gives a shit about what you study at these exchanges, they're all about enjoying the place you go to.
>>
>>1096903
Yeah from Melbourne. I'm not really concerned with academics, just looking for a place with a great culture, hopefully go to a bunch of parties, pick up and get wasted etc etc, usual university fair. I'd prefer to steer towards a larger city just because I'm quite into music and would enjoy being able to go to gigs regularly and that's always easier when you're in a bigger city.
>>
File: RPICrest.jpg (55KB, 375x338px) Image search: [Google]
RPICrest.jpg
55KB, 375x338px
RPI student here, actually taking a break in the library
Academics are pretty big here, and this school takes no prisoners (if you fuck up, getting a another chance is a rare blessing). Can confirm the drinking thing, we have ~30 frats, and alcoholism runs rampant here, it isn't unusual to go out drinking on a Tuesday night (most people have easy Wednesdays). We're big on CompSci and engineering, business is also really good at our school, but if you're a business major and not an athlete, you WILL be laughed at. Can confirm the weather thing, although today was pretty unusual, it was sunny all day and almost 60 F.
You can see downtown Albany from some parts of campus, so it's really close to the state capital, about 2 hours from NYC; and downtown Troy (the actual town RPI is in) is going through a bit of a renaissance.
>>
>>1097235
if you're decently attractive, you'll be able to pick up american girls easy with an oz accent. i'm from jersey, have friends who went to drexel, and it's a pretty decent party scene what with other colleges being in the area. also, i'm very much into the philly music scene, but it's mostly indie rock and i assume you're looking for edm type fair.
>>
>>1097245
Nah, I'm super into a lot of Philly bands, midwestern emo and its derivatives are some of my favourite stuff. Shit like Algernon Cadwallader and Gloca Morra.

I've read online that Drexel is pretty high standard academically, would I be able to get away with going out and generally putting academics to the side there, or would I have to buckle down at least somewhat to pass?
>>
>>1097244
Yeah going out on a Tuesday is a pretty big there here in Melbourne in my area anyways so would be able to seemlessly transition into that. I am a business major, I'm not a freak athlete or anything, but I stay in shape, I follow basketball a whole lot and I do a lot of MMA. Do I need to be like stereotypical ripped jock to get through unscathed or just not a massive sperg?
>>
>>1097244
>>1096903
Also, this is something I've been unsure about for a while, how easy is it to drink underage in the states? Is it something everyone does? Do you get in much trouble if caught, and how often do people get caught? I'll only be 19 turning 20 when I'm over there, will it be difficult for me to go to parties or does everyone just drink underage?
>>
>>1097249
>would I have to buckle down at least somewhat to pass?

most of what i know about drexel is about their engineering program, which is pretty good, but i'm not sure about business. i have a friend who did accounting there and he's pretty much an alcoholic, so i'd say as long as you're not incompetent, you'll have a good time. just take easy courses i guess?

philly is a good city for drinks, music, parties, etc. so if you can manage to do your work properly i think you'll have a good time there.
>>
>>1097257
speaking for colleges in general, but no one cares at frat/house parties for obvious reasons, but getting into bars is hard. you generally get carded and if they find a fake, they'll confiscate it and won't let you in, but they won't call the cops or anything.
>>
>>1097253
just hide your powerlevel and you should be fine, although if it gets revealed, it doesn't matter too much because weird is normal here. It's pretty easy to get booze, as long as you know someone over 21, and some stores absolutely DO NOT give a flying shit about ID's, fake or otherwise.
>>
>>1097257

Get a good fake ID, it'll cost maybe $80 US for two. You'll get into bars no problem and have no problem buying beer, but you'll want a 21+ friend to buy liquor for you.
>>
>>1097289
This, just don't get a Connecticut ID, they're notoriously easy to fake; most bars won't take even a legit one unless further identification is given
>>
>>1097262
Yeah I think its probably going to be Drexel at this point, too good of a music scene in Philly
>>
Don't study in America unless it's post-grad and you're over 21. Being a under-grad in America as well as under-21 is just lame. The anon above that recommended the school in Montreal is probably the best choice.
>>
>>1097357
What exactly sucks about being an under-grad? I understand the draw backs of being under 21
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.