[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going traveling alone in Taiwan for 5 weeks. Anyone got any advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-03-26-17-13-21.png (424KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-26-17-13-21.png
424KB, 720x1280px
Going traveling alone in Taiwan for 5 weeks. Anyone got any advice on keeping safe? Taiwan general.
>>
Keeping safe?
Unless you're 10 months old, you should be fine.
>>
>>1095159
Anything I should avoid from doing? Any places to recommend?
>>
>>1095163
Smoking in public spaces may be forbidden in certain places, even if it's outside. I don't really have a lot to recommend as I only went there for a conference and visiting a university. Taipei is pretty cool, but I wish I was there on a holiday instead.

Taipei seemed more quiet and relaxed than other smaller places (I don't really like the activity of the markets at night in smaller cities).
>>
>>1095166
Thank you. What do you mean activity at smaller markets?
>>
>>1095168
I just meant that everybody seems to be out and about at night and getting takeaways. Oh, I guess the drivers can be a bit crazy, so watch out for that. Otherwise, it felt very safe to me.

Some people will be interested in you because you're foreign. I got told at the airport that I was handsome by two lady servers, but then I gained 20 kgs and I'm gay and jobless and depressed.
>>
>>1095169
Thank you. You've set me at ease. I was really worried. Im my own worse enemy desu. When I get drunk I get myself in all sorts of situations, would hate to end up in trouble.

Going to Philippines and Indonesia after,if you have any further tips?
>>
>>1095170
>Thank you. You've set me at ease. I was really worried. Im my own worse enemy desu. When I get drunk I get myself in all sorts of situations, would hate to end up in trouble.
Nah, Taiwanese people are some of the nicest I've met and they will look after you just because you're foreign. And best of all, you don't need to pretend to have endless conversations to be nice, people are genuinely nice, which resonated with me.

>Going to Philippines and Indonesia after,if you have any further tips?
Never been, sorry.
>>
shilin night market
>>
>>1095170
Where in the Philippines?
>>
>>1095187
Cebu, borocay and manila
>>
I might study abroad their for a semester.

My Mandarin is not great, but I can hold conversations in full sentences about most general topics. My reading/writing is roughly the same.

I have no idea about how I would travel though. I have lived in Illinois my whole life and never even been to Chicago, though.

Besides hopping on a train/bike/walking and going with the flow, what are some good ways to get exposure to the world which is not immediately visible?
>>
>>1095202
I don't think I get the question, sorry?
>>
>>1095207
How can I open myself up to world besides aimlessly wondering around?

My socialization skills are stunted regardless.
>>
>>1095208
Just go for it! You only have one life to enjoy as much as you can, see all that you can see. Your social skills will improve when you travel. Pick a country, do alot of research on Google to see what it has to offer, create a itinerary and go! Staying in hostels is a good idea to get to meet like minded people.
>>
>>1095158
Bump
>>
I've been teaching English in Taipei for about 8 months, ask me anything.

Taiwan in general is a pretty safe place.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.