[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New ESL General. The old thread is nearing the bump limit an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 4

File: template.png (78KB, 661x716px) Image search: [Google]
template.png
78KB, 661x716px
New ESL General. The old thread is nearing the bump limit and can be found here: >>1080192

Please try to skim and/or f3 the old thread to avoid asking similar questions already posted.

Resources for finding a job (Please help this grow if you have more resources for other countries).

General:
https://www.teachaway.com/
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/
http://greenhearttravel.org/

Japan:
http://gaijinpot.com/ (Note: most jobs listed here require you to be residing in Japan)
www.aeonet.com/
recruiting.ecc.co.jp/
http://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/global.html
http://jetprogramme.org/en/

Taiwan:
http://tealit.com/
>>
This might be a dumb question but when people say specific countries or programs require a bachelors, does that have to be something related to English? Or are they just looking for a bachelors to see that you speak the language well enough to graduate with a degree?
>>
>>1094881
It does not have anything to do with your English ability. Most of the time you have to be a native English speaker so the degree thing is not related to that.

Generally speaking your bachelor's can be in anything. For some jobs a degree in English or Linguistics is preferred but generally it doesn't matter, just have a degree.
>>
Who /middle east/ here?

I'd like to teach there, preferably not in the gulf though. My ideal location would be Iran, if not then Lebanon or Egypt. I've heard that the best way to find teaching jobs in the Middle East (apart from the gulf) is on the ground through word of mouth and visiting schools, is this true?

I would assume Iranian schools would be desperate for English teachers, as its generally hard for Westerners to move there and they have a young population. Is that the case? I am a native speaker btw, but also have a French passport, which may come in handy as France seems to have decent diplomatic ties with Iran compared to other Western nations.

Would my best bet be just to go to Iran, make contacts and drop my CV into language schools? Anyone else done this before?
>>
>>1094759
Y make a new thread before the bump limit?
>>
Can we get some conversation of non /JAPANTAIWANCHINAKOREA/ esl teachers here?
I appreciate that those are really popular places to teach but it would be cool to talk to others who have no interest in that part of asia as their location.

Mexico teacher here, been about 2.5 months at a language school in puebla. I like it, the learning curve was a bit steep and it took me a little while to build up enough hours to make $ to cover rent and food.

Any other /latinamerica/ teachers here?
>>
>>1094759
pic made me kek.

>>1094881
That's a government requirement, not from any schools per se (although they obviously want educated teachers, duh). Goes for pretty much immigration to any country, really. Do you want some lying illiterate pedophile shit-for-brains coming in to the same room as your children? No. A Bachelor degree-holder might still be a mouth-breathing pedo, but having at least a bachelor is a decent filter for 90% of those.

>>1095037
>preferably not in the gulf though
The Gulf countries are where 90% of such jobs are though, and they pay the best. The downside of course is you have to teach utterly spoiled Arab jerks, who will basically bribe their way to a top score if necessary anyway. Get something in Oman, if possible. Avoid KSA like the plague.

I knew an English teacher from Iran, he was Iranian and taught it in university as part of an English lit program. His English was generally very good, but he still made odd mistakes now and then... I imagine a native-speaker could do well there. Pay probably wouldn't be as high as in the Gulf either way. Main issue it is that this is not something the Iranian government allows yet. I'm extremely skeptical you'd ever get a work visa. Maybe in 10 years if the government keeps opening up...
>>
>>1095210
I'm not too fussed about the pay if I was gonna teach in Iran desu, as long as I have enough money to enjoy some good food, nature and shisha I'd be happy. I would imagine there are probably some Iranians who have lived abroad for a while in English speaking countries then teach when they move back.

Oman looks sweet but really expensive. Do the Saudis bribe the teacher or the school? Or does it depend on who is marking the exam?
In general I have found arabs from the gulf to have decent English desu compared to others.
>>
Does anyone else get annoyed when you read about people who don't have a TEFL qualification and have very little experience, teaching in various countries for a very low wage. It screws things up for the professionals and the ones who are serious about teaching abroad.
>>
>>1095209

I'm hoping to get into it somewhere in South America or Spain once I graduate, but I've got no clue where to start. Won't graduate for another 2 years though.
>>
USA here. I'm about to transfer to uni with an associates. I am researching the most efficient way to get to teaching in SE as soon as possible, mostly because i'm broke.

I am continually working on getting a BS, so that is one route. I am also looking in to getting a CELTA so I can land a first job for the experience.

Can anyone impart some knowledge on this?
>>
>>1095278
Spain i'm sure is more picky, but in central/south america theyre verrrry easygoing if youre a native speaker. Especially if you have a TEFL cert (even one of the weak online ones like mine).

I got hired first thing at the first real language school i applied at, and that was even with being honest about my very limited teaching experience. Now, after i have just a couple months exp. under my belt im pretty confident I could pack up, move to any major LatAm city, and find a new job within a week.

Dont get me wrong, LatAm def doesnt offer the best salaries, but Im working 25-30hrs a week and more than getting by.
Also, at least in Mexico they seem to prefer to ignore/sidestep the work visa question altogether, which can be a little sketchy for some. On the plus side, I get paid in cash with no taxes and if I get tired of it or fed up I can walk with no contract obligations.
>>
>>1095189
>Y

Y be so autistic? It had like ten posts before the bump limit and I just decided to do it while I wasn't feeling lazy.

>>1095209
Did you need to know Spanish for this position?

>>1095276
Not really. The best/most respectable jobs do not go to those people.

>>1095292
If you have an associates you can do the TALK program in Korea. You'll be in a rural location but I think it's a solid option if you don't mind that.
>>
>>1095224
They have decent English, because they have native English teachers. Not just ESL, but in general. Or Lebanese or other teachers who speak English just as well as natives. It's expensive, but so is the compensation.

Best places to teach in the Gulf are UAE, Bahrain, Oman, and Qatar. Kuwait is okay. KSA sucks, unless an international school on a compound, but great pay which can be used to visit neighboring more liberal countries of Bahrain and UAE and cheap flights to SEA
>>
Where can i work with no degree, and a 2 day class room tefl cert (24hrs) im a 29 year old australian. I flirted with the idea of teaching 2 years back, hence the tefl. I figured i would do the online course while i travelled. Only my laptop broke. I didn't complete the course in the allocated time limit and now my tefl provider wants more $$$ so i dropped it. Now I've got a girl to travel with but i would like to earn money while doing so.
>>
>>1095323
prob could get a job in mexico homie, if they can understand yr accent

>>1095301
you dont need to know spanish but it'd help a lot. At my school all the administrators and all the non-classroom discussions are in spanish, not sure how it is in other schools.

Also, even though its best to use only L2 in the class, sometimes it helps a ton to be able to explain a tricky concept in spanish.
>>
>>1095276
Like he said. The schools that hire the degreeless / fake degree / grossly underqualified are not schools I would work for.
>>1095292
The CELTA is probably unnecessary. Take pedagogy classes at your university if you can, and do practicum / volunteer type activities so you have some classroom experience before you start. Try to be able to document at least two years of experience. Even if it's tutoring center / language lab type stuff, it counts.
>>1095323
Without a degree you need to have your legal presence in the country formalized some other way. Your girlfriend can't get you a work visa. This limits your options. The danger is that generally you aren't legally allowed to work on a tourist visa, and if a shady employer decides to fuck you over, there isn't much you can do about it. You could try volunteering through an NGO or a church group, but I think professional ESL, or even decent casual work is off the table for you, unless your girlfriend is very adept at finding you enough private clients to make rent.
>>
>>1095388

True, I wouldn't want to work for schools that hire anyone either, but it devalues the salary of an ESL Teacher. For example. in Thailand, the average salary for an ESL teacher in Bangkok is 30K baht. I spoke to some existing and experienced ESL teachers in Thailand, who said that wage is quite low for an ESL teacher. Most jobs that offer a salary of 30K baht usually require little experience and qualifications and will hire most anybody (well any native speaker). But if you have a degree, a CELTA and 2 years experience, you should be getting more, however you'll soon find that hardly any employers will offer more than 30K baht for a qualified and experienced ESL teacher. Why should they when they can get billy backpacker off the streets and have him play games with the students. Because of the amount of inexperienced, unqualified people teaching in Thailand, it has devalued the salary for experienced professionals, making it not worth teaching in Thailand at times. And 30K is an example, I've seen teaching positions for a lot less. I found the only way to overcome this is to become a licensed teacher and specilise in a subject, i.e. Science and teach that. You get double the salary (60K baht) and do half the work.
>>
>>1094759
UKfag here, interviewing for ECC (Japan) in London this May.

I have a degree in Linguistics so I'm not worried about the gruesome grammar test I hear they have, from what I've read the make/break phase seems to be the demo lesson.

I have no TEFL or prior teaching experience but I'm a confident speaker with experience leading group sessions, so I'm not overly worried. A few things though:

>What sort of structure does the demo take? Any words I have to/cannot say during my lesson?
>Any recommended readings on ESL pedagogy?
>>
So I'm a white, english speaking person from the US. I have a degree, but I can't make much money in the US.

There are lots of companies online that get your TEFL and help find you a job, get you a phone, set up your bank account and such. Are these a waste of money? Would I be better off just applying at Thai schools, getting my TEFL, and finding a place to live on my own?
>>
How hard is it to lie about degrees. My white homie in japan has been rorting the system for 5 years saying his shits in storage at his parents.
>>
>>1095634

I thought Japs do thorough background checks.

But for part-time work, I would imagine you could fly to Japan, apply for part-time jobs and work them all at the same time and make decent cash. Just leave the country every 3 months and hope you don't get caught.

I can't imagine part-time jobs would ask for a copy of your degree in hand.
>>
Anybody have experience with online teaching, how easy it is to get jobs, etc.

Most online teaching gigs seem to pay dirt.
>>
>>1095552

Seconding this, have an interview with them in Manchester in May.
>>
>>1095634
I don't know who he's working for but it's either some mom and pop place that looks the other way, or part time, something...?

Because I am telling you right now, the big companies: AEON, ECC, Interac, etc. will ALL ask for a sealed transcript and/or a notarized copy of your degree.
t. Somebody with direct experience applying to all three of those places--and more.

>>1095636
>thorough background checks.

Not as thorough as Korea, but they do them if you're being hired from overseas for visa sponsorship--definitely.

Again, I don't know how this guy's friend has apparently been teaching English in Japan for 5 years with no degree. I'd need more information on the situation. It is not something you should be confident of emulating.

>I can't imagine part-time jobs would ask for a copy of your degree in hand

They won't. But they WILL ask for a proper visa, which is basically like asking for a copy of your degree. Getting/Having the Humanities or Instructor Visa basically means it's been confirmed that you have a bachelor's. There may be some places who will offer you part time employment on a working holiday visa or something, but I think it's technically illegal (don't quote me on that though).
>>
>>1095552
>>1095640
I think I talked to one of you guys before. My advice would be to just not worry about it or overthink it too much. (I think wanting to read articles on ESL pedagogy constitutes overthinking it--but hey do that if you want, can't hurt).

As I said before, Mine was based on "Can you______?" "Yes, I can/No, I can't."

So I mean, when you're demonstrating, just try to use big gestures that kind of conform to the words you're saying: For example: CAN (Shrug your shoulders) YOU (Point to the audience--point with your whole hand though, not your finger) THROW (Pretend you're throwing a ball).

SMILE. Seriously, fucking smile.
>>
Oh, and as for linguisticsbro, you should still read up on ESL jargon and terms (like "realia", "TTT", etc.) These are kind of dopey and no one really uses them, but there is a section on the grammar test devoted to ESL terms.
>>
>>1095649
>>1095651
Thanks a lot for the advice guys! I'll definitely look into the ESL jargon; perhaps some pedagogy, but your example of interacting with the demo is probably the most helpful part.

>>1095640
I would've been interviewed at Manchester too but ducked out as that interview date is my birthday, which I'd rather not spend in a gruelling interview. Good luck bro.
>>
>tfw wanted to try for ESL as a last ditch attempt to do something with my life
>tfw black

Should I even bother?
>>
>>1095791

teaching esl isn't worth it anyway. shit is mostly miserable deadend work that will never progress into a real career for 99.9% of 'teachers'.
>>
>>1095802
I don't know, I'm at a state in my life where all I can do is pick my poison.
>>
>>1095791
I work in Vietnam and have only met one black teacher here. So i guess it's not impossible but still most schools want a white face.
>>
>>1095807

Not him (I'm white), but is it possible to teach there w/o a degree? I'm guessing half the teachers you know don't have one.
>>
>>1095669
I don't know about ECC, but I've had a few ESL interviews (mainly through skype) and never found them gruelling. Usually there's two types of interviews: one where the interviewer talks about the role and school and asks if you can do it with just yes/no questions, and one where the interviewer actually asks you competency based questions related to your previous teaching (or non teaching) experience. Sometimes they will ask for a short demo presentation of a particular grammar point or tense and how you would teach it. If you did a CELTA, this will be extremely easy as all you just say is 'I'll use a PPP method with engaging content, present target language through clarification of meaning, form and pronunciation, use varied tasks and activitiies for practice and produce TL through speaking or writing'. Then you just say what things you would use to clarify the TL (gestures, visual aids, eliciting, realia, videos etc) and what tasks you may use for practice/production (gapfills, true/false, match the definition, quizes, roleplays, competitive games) etc.

If you don't have any teaching experience, just research PPP (presentation, practice, production), TTT (Test, teach, test) or Task based learning/communicative learning. These are the main teaching methods used in classes. Well I certainly use them anyway.
>>
>>1095637
>online teaching
lel

>Most online teaching gigs seem to pay dirt
You don't say? I do ever so seriously wonder why that would be... Hmmmm, golly gosh gee, it really makes no sense.
>>
>>1095649
And this is where the dancing monkey meme comes in.

I'm sure glad I don't have pantomime in front of my adult students here in Europe. They'd either laugh or think I'm treating them like they're retarded -- and either way they'd be right.

I mean, I understand exaggerated cues of course, especially for lower level learners... but FFS, this is why teaching in Asia sucks.

>>1095811
>Is it possible to teach there w/o a degree?
Only at bottom-of-the-barrel total sketch shows where YOU are being exploited. Why the fuck should an uneducated prole too lazy or dumb to get even a bachelor degree be in the FRONT of a classroom, teaching anyone anything? Sorry bro, no offence, but no. Such jobs exist, but I'd give them a very wide berth.

>Hey everyone, I'm white, and I'm planning to go to Brazil and give free breast-cancer screenings at a nice local beach-front location. Do I really need a degree for this?
>>
Any of you Japanese ESLs been in Japan more than 1 or 2 years? I might be looking for an extended stay but it depends on what I think of Japan of course. I also want to work on my Japanese and become fluent so that I can get into something besides English teaching, maybe Grad School.

I'm a bit worried about not having any teaching experience or certifications besides my bachelors, even though ESL is probably the only/best option for entry into Japan. Should I just cram some English teaching techniques before my interview/arrival?
>>
>>1096058
>And this is where the dancing monkey meme comes in.
>I'm sure glad I don't have pantomime in front of my adult students here in Europe.

Bro. Listen to what you're saying. European adults are not Japanese children. Very different people with very different English ability. When I taught adults in Japan of course I didn't have to jump around. I don't know, it doesn't bother me. I actually like kids, and I don't think I'm too "cool" or anything to be a goofball once in a while. Everyone's different though. Tb.h, I didn't even actually jump around with my kids really. AEON's lessons called for gesturing all the vocabulary, but it generally wasn't needed. Most of the kids are smart and like English. They study and already know the words. You're really just practicing with them.

>>1096067
I've been in Japan two years. Plan to stay one or two more years.

>Should I just cram some English teaching techniques before my interview/arrival?
As I told the other guy, that's kind of overthinking things. Just don't be a monotone beta. The big companies/programs give you training. The rest can be covered by your own common sense.

At any rate please feel free to ask me anything about Japan and I'll try to give an objective unbiased answer. I am not a rose colored glasses blue pilled otaku fatass nor am I an edgy, jaded, bitter, Ryan Boundless/Ken Seeroi type. So I think I'm suited for that.
>>
>>1096185
Any suggestions for potential places to live in Japan for a new ESL teacher?
I know nothing but Tokyo seems pretty pricey and the competition must be way tougher there, while living somewhere rural seems even worse due no one else speaking English to the alienated gaijin.
>>
>>1096067
>I also want to work on my Japanese and become fluent so that I can get into something besides English teaching

Same guy here. To be honest man, don't expect anything much beyond English teaching unless you have some other needed skill. Fluent Japanese isn't going to get you there in most cases. I have a coworker at my current job who speaks Japanese very well and has been in Japan several years. He's just an English teacher like me. I don't mean to discourage you, but just don't expect it. You could become a translator, which is by all accounts not a great or well paying job.

There are probably opportunities out there, I mean for example, my ex-gf who obviously speaks fluent Japanese and also English well (around 800 TOEIC) used to be a manager at an eikaiwa school but recently got a really nice job at a bank with a very good salary. So as someone who speaks both languages fluently you might be able to land something like that.

I can say that learning some Japanese does potentially open up better English teaching gigs. My current job is very nice, but some Japanese was a requirement.
>>
>>1096187
>I know nothing but Tokyo seems pretty pricey and the competition must be way tougher there

You mean competition to get a job? If you're being hired from overseas not really. I mean, most of the big eikaiwa schools are almost exclusively urban based. They're businesses so there's no money to be made out in the countryside you know? If you're already living in Tokyo I think well, there's definitely competition for jobs, but there are also naturally a lot more jobs to be had as well.

The costs of Tokyo are comparable to or cheaper than most major American cities. Much cheaper than places like London or New York.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a place? Somewhere that's not too expensive and urban but not too rural? I don't know, you could try like Nagano, or hmm Fukuoka?

Tokyo really isn't that super expensive. I have an apartment in the 23 special wards that works out to $700USD a month. Can you imagine an apartment in the city proper of NYC?
>>
>>1096196
Did you start out in Tokyo?
What was your first year like?
>>
>>1096188
I have been studying Japanese for around 4 years, granted this was intermixed with college and it's not as efficient had I spent 4 years in Japan. I wouldn't even say I'm good at Japanese, especially when it comes to conversations, but my point is that I'm not flying in blind. I enjoy learning the language and want to hone my skill in that, at least.

If I have to return to America in a couple of years, then so be it. But if I enjoyed Japan enough I would stay, probably having to find my own way if I wanted out of English teaching (but that's my problem).

Anyway, in what area do you live? I enjoy the urban style of Japan, especially the train system so that's one of the main reasons I want to go there. I don't enjoy the car-centric lifestyle of the States and Japanese is the only other language I "know" so my living abroad options are somewhat limited.
>>
>>1096199
Yeah, I started out in Tokyo. I was hired overseas and sent to a school in the western suburbs about 20-25 minutes from Shinjuku.

First year was fine. I worked a lot but enjoyed my time on my weekends.

>>1096200
I live in Tokyo. I just moved from the burbs to the city proper.
>>
>>1096206
Sounds nice. I enjoy Tokyo as much as the next guy, but it doesn't matter what city I end up. I like the idea of Kyoto, for example. I would even do JET, if I didn't have to start paying off my loans in six months and JET would only start over a year from now. Not to mention it's not a sure thing to begin with. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I like the idea of making "decent" money now.
>>
>>1096206
What kind of stuff did you do on weekends?
And did you know any Japanese before moving out there?

>>1096210
>if I didn't have to start paying off my loans in six months
Ontario?
>>
>>1096213
Southern US actually, it's only a few grands though. Assuming I can save up to 100,000 yen per month I hope to tackle it within the first year of my job.
>>
>>1096213
Idk normal stuff, sightseeing, hanging out, partying. Nope, Started studying a couple months before I left. I'd say I'm at about N3 level now (kanji is probably at N2) but I don't think I could pass N3 on account of the listening section and just general time constraints and pressure.
>>
>>1094759
I have no bachelor, can get a certificate but I'm not native speaker, do I have any chance?
>>
>>1096254
>Not a native speaker
>no degree

Wew lad. Don't hold your breath.
>>
>>1095802
Not true at all. Do some research.
>>
>>1095209
I recently signed a contract with a big McSchool in Moscow, if that counts. I was looking at places in the Baltic and Eastern Europe, but they were all asking for 2 years experience or else just seemed kinda shady (this may be my naivety at work). I've got a few months to get my shit together and learn a bit of Russian (!!!) before I go over there.

I'm Australian, and I just want to go somewhere cooooold.
>>
>>1096314
Is your salary going to be in rubles?
What's your degree in?
What language certification did you do?
>>
>>1096058

I was about a year away from finishing my degree, but life happened.

Anyway, any retard can teach kids flashcards with English words on them. Shit isn't rocket science.

Are you even the same guy in Vietnam that I was replying to? I just want to know if people without degrees can teach there and be successful.
>>
>>1096325
>salary
Paid in rubles - I know I'm going to get paid fuck all but that's fine for the moment. Hopefully I can find tutoring gigs on the side.

>degree
Linguistics 4 lyf, senpai

>cert
CELTA

Really, I just want to live somewhere else for a while, and if my choices are in an anonymous city in China/Korea with no culture/history, or Moscow, I'll go to Moscow.
>>
>>1096185

I'm the guy from the last thread, and I wanted to know how easy you think it is to get into a smaller eikaiwa or ALT position in case the ECC plan falls through.

My girlfriend is back in Japan now so I'm pretty on edge about the ECC interview in case it falls through. I've applied to around 12 different places in Kanto like Heart and Aeon but I've no idea if they're as stringent as ECC.
>>
>>1096327
>Anyway, any retard can teach kids flashcards with English words on them. Shit isn't rocket science.
It's more than that. You can maybe get away doing low-level shit like that, though. Wouldn't expect more. Do you really want to move halfway across the world to be paid peanuts for teaching flashcards, though?
>>
>>1096300
Thanks for the honestly so if I got a degree it will be still impossible? I dropped an IT career and im not sure if it will be worth the effort of going back to college. Any no native speakers ever make it?
>>
>>1096411
Will not find gainful ESL employment as an non native speaker with no degree. Why would anyone hire you? There are plenty of native speakers with degrees available.
>>
>>1096411
Sorry misread, as a non native speaker with a degree it's possible somewhere somehow, but your options will be quite limited.
>>
>>1096411
As anon has said many times in threads like these, having at least a degree as a non-native speaker wishing to English as a foreign language will move your chances from 'impossible' to 'very unlikely'.
>>
>>1096411

No, Europoors can teach in Cambodia and I believe Vietnam.

At least I saw a russian guy on youtube saying he was teaching in Vietnam when I searched "can you teach in Vietnam without a degree" kek
>>
>>1096606
Yea, I'm sure he's teaching lots of Viet lolis the ins and outs of foreign romance.
>>
>>1096699
that is NOT a thing teachers do!
r-right?
>>
>>1096805
Not common, but it happens I guess.

I once had a colleague who taught for a year or so in Chile. He claimed to have fucked one of his students who was 17 turning 18. Of course, he claimed they only did the ol' P-in-V once she turned 18. Who knows. She wasn't a virgin by his telling, and wasn't all that attractive (he showed us pics). He himself was rather fugly, a Brit with a ridiculous moustache out of place on his face and an apparently persistent uncontrollable gas problem.
>>
>>1096411

From what I understand the only places you'll be able to get hired are very under-the-table shady schools in shitholes like mainland China, the Middle East and Cambodia. In a lot of countries these places are actually breaking the law by hiring you but the government doesn't care enough to do anything about it.

If you choose to work for one of these companies you're taking a huge risk since if they choose to delay your payments (or underpay you, or not pay you at all) there's basically nothing you can do.

Get a degree and a good IELTS certificate and you should be able to get a decent job.
>>
>>1096861
Anon, that story is pretty gross.
>>
I have a couple of Skype interviews coming up, one for NOVA and one for JoyTalk. Any advice? Are they going to be hardasses or is it a mostly informal thing since it's over Skype? Do I need to wear business clothes during it?

Never done a Skype interview before.
>>
I guess the answers will be different for teachers in Asia, but have any of you guys found your language ability to have really improved whilst you've been living in the country?

I'm going to Spain with the British Council language assistancy thing mainly in the hopes of getting my Spanish improved, is this a stupid aspiration?
>>
>>1095306

That's lovely. I'd fancy teaching in the Gulf myself.
Why is KSA a big no-no?
>>
>>1097069
Actually I think that's a stupid question because unless you shut yourself away from Spanish then you're going to improve.
>>
>>1094759
JET Program reject here. I just got the results and I've been rejected. What would you guys say are the best alternatives to JET?
>>
>>1097075
Being hired from overseas for Japan I would say your best alternative to JET is ECC.
>>
>>1097071
Saudis are unbearable people. Entitled, arrogant, stupid, superstitious and conservative, hypocritical.
>>
Where are those meme ridiculously well paying middle east jobs? Where can apply to them and what are the qualifications? Or is it just a myth?
>>
>>1097000
>NOVA and JoyTalk

You can do better m8. Did JET, ECC and AEON all reject you? NOVA is worse than both ECC and AEON. It's far worse than ECC and basically like AEON except AEON pays you significantly more and gives you an extra week of vacation for basically the same kind of work schedule.

Don't do JoyTalk man. Don't accept any English teaching position in Japan that wants to pay you less than 250,000yen a month. There is no reason anyone has to stoop to a dispatch company that actually lists 200,000 as a possible *full time* salary. If you got rejected by other places, just wait it out a couple months and try again. I think ECC for example has a wait time of 3 months before you can apply again? You're not that desperate to get to Japan are you?

Anyway to answer your question, yes, wear a suit. Don't worry. JoyTalk and NOVA are not picky. You will be hired if you don't dig in your nose during the interview.
>>
>>1097671
These aren't actual ESL jobs, but international schools job, where having ESL certs helps, if it's not required outright
>>
>>1097694
I take it you need state certification? Where can you apply to them?
>>
>>1097690

I have an interview with AEON this afternoon, my interview with ECC isn't until May. I'm not applying for JET because I want to be in urban Tokyo and not the countryside.

I figured I'd apply for JoyTalk and NOVA so I at least have alternatives, and also because if I got the work visa there'd be nothing stopping me just getting a better ESL job in Japan.

I'm pretty desperate since my girlfriend is already waiting 5 months for me to arrive there. If I had to wait 3 months more it'd probably kill the relationship. I'm just making sure I have options in case AEON and ECC reject me, but I'll be going with ECC if I succeed in May.
>>
>>1097841

Actually scratch that, JoyTalk wanted to ship me out immediately without even sending off for my visa first so I declined.
>>
i dony have a degree but im white
can i teach in china and get 22kRMB/month?
>>
>>1097862
Good call to not trust that shit
>>
>>1097865

nope
>>
Anyone with experience teaching spanish?
>>
>>1097164
Just checked it out. Looks promising. How about AEON? How would you say AEON and ECC compare?
>>
>>1098714
AEON is more money but more work, ECC is a little less money but a lot less work
>>
>>1098806
OK, how much work are we talking for AEON? I don't mind doing more work if I make more money.
>>
>>1098808
Well, keep in mind that I have experience with neither, but I will apply for both because I'm graduating this semester. They both seem to be the best options by far.

AEON looks like your typical 40 hour work week with overtime options, and I think some days you may have work up to 10 hours... best money outside of JET though.

ECC is only 30 hours per week. You are making less money, yes, but I am partial to that because it seems very relaxing. I don't know how they do it, honestly, but I imagine it's pretty exclusive.
>>
How much do ESL teachers generally make per month in Vietnam?
>>
I got a job offer from NOVA and they want a scan of my passport. However, am I actually bound to anything until I sign a contract? I have interviews with other companies in the next couple of months and NOVA might want to send me to some shithole, so I don't want to be locked into it yet.
>>
File: water_water_olo.jpg (33KB, 358x395px) Image search: [Google]
water_water_olo.jpg
33KB, 358x395px
Bump.
>>
Intending to do graduate school on the side while teaching. I know nothing of education abroad though. Question is, is paying out of pocket my only option?
>>
>tfw you'd love to do that shit but you're not from an English-speaking country

I guess I could still teach English in some ugly noname industrial city in China, but I want to go somewhere nice :( .
>>
>>1095791

I've never understood the discouragement I hear when people are black and think they NEED to be white to get a job teaching English.

Can't speak for other countries, but I've applied for programs in Japan and got 3 of them(Nova, Interac and ECC). Not sure if being female helps, but I'm definitely not the white/blonde ideal most think of, so I figure nothing is impossible.
>>
so i think like alot of people Im interested in teaching english in japan. I know of JET but what other programs are there?

Also how would one look for acquiring long time work as ive been told JET is more of a temporary thing
>>
>>1101280
Depends where you are. Not sure what you mean by 'paying out of pocket' in this context. You generally cannot get (government-supported) student loans for studying outside the country you live in. There is support for serious scholars with high grades, but I guess you wouldn't be in that boat if you're asking about paying out of pocket.

>>1101336
How many people want to touch your hair? Ever hooked up with Asian dudes, and are they terrified of your animalistic tribal sexuality?
>>
>>1101347

Not there yet, starting in August. I figure it's because I'm mixed, but I don't actually have "black" hair. It's not coarse or afro-y, just falls in tight curls. When I visited a few summers ago, I had this really sweet old lady comment on my hair, saying it was cute, and then she sighed about her grays.

>animalistic tribal sexuality

Gosh this sounds funny. My recruiter with Interac warned me about going to drinking parties or get togethers with Japanese coworkers, saying the guys can get super aggressive and I just laughed, she seemed pretty serious though. I'm way too shy to just try and hook up with anyone period, Japan probably won't be any different. It would be funny if I could actually accomplish such a thing, might make for a fun story!
>>
>>1097069
I'm in the auxiliar program in Spain. If you have a good level already then your spanish will improve a lot. I came with a very basic level but am now higher than most who gave been studying for a similar amount of time.
>>
>>1101336
The discouragement doesn't come from black people, it comes from white people. I know or know of plenty of black teachers in the Middle East, Thailand, and Japan.
>>
File: Fulbright-Scholarship[1].jpg (234KB, 1883x604px) Image search: [Google]
Fulbright-Scholarship[1].jpg
234KB, 1883x604px
Fulbright english teaching scholarship recipient here, if anyone is curious about the application process or anything then lemme know.
>>
>>1101504
I don't really plan on applying, but what did you get?
>>
>>1101506

Colombia!
>>
>>1101347
Well rather I'm doing long term planning so I'm not sure the kind of support they give our internationally or for foreign workers.

If I were to go to a country with the intent of TEFL and going to graduate school on the side for something unrelated to TEFL but relevant to their country what kind of support is actually possible?
>>
>>1101588
None. Why should any country pay a foreigner to benefit off of them? It doesn't work that way.
>>
>>1101588
>>1101782
South Korea offer some kind of student scholarship to encourage more foreigners to study in South Korean universities. You have to learn Korean for 1 year and reach a certain level

Also I would guess you have to be pretty smart.
>>
>>1095558
if Thailand is your choice then all you need is 1-2k saved simply fly to thailand and find a job while on a tourist visa

you can also take one of their tefl things, they are cheap and short

Do not use a company for Thai jobs they will jip you

Do not take a job with no visa

Ajarn is a great resource for schools that are hiring but best way to get a job is in person

Never take a job under 30k baht a month
being american is a plus but they mainly want white girls but being white might still be an advantage if you don't look like a stoner but honestly even Filipinos can get english
teaching work in Thailand.

Thai people are not fond of Arabs and Indians and even they can find work so it's really easy

read a couple pages of this
http://www.ajarn.com/help-and-guides/cost-of-living/
>>
>>1102283

what if you don't have a degree
>>
Who teaches in South Korea here? I am doing the EPIK application atm, I have also sent my CV's to lots of different recruiters for Hagwon jobs. I am 20 years old, have a bachelors and 150 hour tefl certificate, but no previous teaching experience. What would you recommend? I am leanining towards doing EPIK atm as because it is in Korean state schools it seems that it is more steady, more vacation time, and no weekend work. What I mean by "steady", is no bullshit recruiter who is going to lie about jobs, and no shady hangwons who could go bankrupt when I am 4 months into the job and yet to recieve a paycheck. What do you guys think? Is EPIK competitive? I will be hoping to work in Seoul btw, but would do another large city if not possible. I have non-teaching related work experience, good references and I am normally quite good in interviews btw.
>>
>>1102297
then you can live like a poor shitter who get's payed like 500 usd(15k baht) a month like a Filipino, you'll be able to get by if you also do independent tutoring and charge a high rate
also those jobs usually give no visas and your employer can fuck you over anytime
follow this guide to not be fucked and actually live pretty comfy but also know you can be kicked out for working illegally so it would be best to work toward a degree maybe from a Thai uni or an online school that happens to be cheap

link to cheap life in Thailand
http://migrationology.com/cost-of-living-in-bangkok-thailand/
follow this and you can actually live a decent life even with a shit wage
>>
>>1097700
Google international school for the country of your choice. There are also placement/recruitment agencies as well. The Gulf states will pay your plane ticket out and back as well, and may provide housing or a hpushing stipend, in addition to your pay
>>
I have a degree and a TEFL certificate but I speak with a northern English (geordie) accent (mildly); will this make it hard for me to get a job?

Most people English teachers seem to have a standard southern English accent or just a standard American accent
>>
>>1103630
>Most people English teachers seem to have a standard southern English accent or just a standard American accent

well yeah it would be preferable but i think if you downplay it you could get it
also GOalybongo who is fucking Yorkshire and teaches english in fucking hongkong she does get points for being female because females are preferred
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZOCXDeXH9
>>
>>1103731
so i fucked up the link so here is another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZOCXDeXH9I
>>
>>1102300
EPIK had some cuts from the previous year so it'll be more competitive I guess. Two of my friends teach through EPIK one of them has a bachelors with no teaching experience. They're both female Americans though.

I teach through a hagwon in Tongyeong and the job is good don't knock it. It is a lot more variety of quality in the hagwon business though for sure.
>>
>>1103630
Asians don't really 'get' regional dialects. Like it hasn't dawned on many that they exist, and they certainly have little familiarity with them. National differences, perhaps. I knew an Irish girl (a relatively thick accent) who taught in Japan for a little while, and she was told (or had implied to her, really) on a few occasions that she wasn't a native-speaker. So you may have to defend yourself now and then.

"Standard" neutral accents are definitely preferred. Just don't teach them dialect.
>>
>>1095278

Spainbro here. There's a number of programs.

Most popular one is "conversation auxiliaries" the application is closing soon so hurry the fuck up.
>>
>>1094759
OP pic is so true it hurts
>>
>>1095802

Spic here. I've taught in all kinds of countries so you'll be good as long as you actually put in the work and try to learn the native language too. It helps you understand the errors your students will make and how the explain stuff better.

Just shot gun apps. A lot of places will outright skip you. Blame the retard parents that think all English speakers are white.

The kids will think you're cool as shit too but expect them to say stuff like "what's up nigga" in class because they really don't know any better.

TEFL is deadend if you only look for more TEFL jobs. Transitioning to something better is very doable if you network well.
>>
File: 1452955100899.jpg (165KB, 300x591px) Image search: [Google]
1452955100899.jpg
165KB, 300x591px
>>1095188
You're insane
>>
>>1095791
See
>>1104057
>>
>>1104058
To be fair to the kebabs, it's only relatively recently that they have been re-radicalised. Things like outright alcohol bans are relatively new in many of these places.

They were fairly happy shagging their camels and oppressing their women in the 1800s and much of the anger that existed was directed at the dying Ottoman Empire, which was also Islamic.

Then the appearance of a bunch of Jews setting up a country and making the Muslims who had previously lived there second class citizens rustled a few jimmies.

And the ever-growing presence of foreign oil companies making enormous profits and taking much of the wealth out of the country rustled them some more.

And then once the dictators realised they could play hardball a bit more this wealth didn't really trickle down very much (except in a handful of places with small populations and lots of energy wealth likes the UAE and Qatar) and by this point the jimmies were rustled rather severely.

People were feeling angry and helpless.

But it wasn't until the invasion of Iraq that the Middle East became the full-scale kebabbening that we see now where there is a lot of sympathy in the region for the extreme Wahabbist version of Islam and a fairly open Sunni-Shia civil war with plenty of violence directed at non-Muslims, too.
>>
>>1103630
>>1103731
>>1104009

What about me? I have quite a thick Scottish accent (Glaswegian).

Tbh most of the time its other native speakers who have difficulties understanding me, especially Americans and Canadians.

Should I just put on a fake North American accent? I did that when I lived in Canada
>>
>>1104107
The middle east was always as violent, and it would have been as violent (if not more) even wtihout western involvement.

Sunnis did'nt start beheading shiites because of fucking oil companies.

Islam is not compatible with western ideals
>>
>>1104429
Yo
>>
I've been teaching English for two years now. One year in Turkey and one year in Kazakhstan. During that time I've been able to see 15 cunts and travel for a significant amount of time in-between contracts. I'm stuck in South Africa with little money, but I've got a lead for a job in a casino to save some money. Feel free to ask me anything.
>>
>>1104505
How old were you when you started, and what experience/education/certs did you have?

Also, does being a foreigner give you momentum when picking up girls?
>>
>>1104505
I'm the Spanish bro from the other thread
Where in Turkey did you live? Why didn't you like it?

As well, I'd like to know if you got any kind of formation at the time of starting teaching

What about the difficulties want did you find the most complicated thing of Esl teacher lifestyle?
>>
>>1095807
>I work in Vietnam and have only met one black teacher here.
I know one half black Irish girl teaching over there. She said it can be prett racist but she's doing well.
>>
>>1104685
>How old were you when you started, and what experience/education/certs did you have?

I started teaching at 23 right after finishing up uni and did a TEFL certificate at my university. The TEFL certificate course was a month long, 140 hour course including observed lessons and feedback. I chose the TEFL over the CELTA, since it was offered by my university and it was cheaper. Looking back now, I wish I would've done a CELTA since the more prestigious companies to work for, where you won't get dicked around, will want a CELTA since it's accredited by Cambridge and will know that the course covered some certain requirements.

When applying with jobs for the British Council and International House, I can't make it past the screening process since I don't have a CELTA. Even if you don't think you'll make a career of teaching, I would still recommend going for the CELTA since you'll have access to better jobs.

>Also, does being a foreigner give you momentum when picking up girls?

I lived in Kayseri, a city in central Turkey, my first year teaching. I was so excited to get out and move abroad that I didn't realize I was going to a super conservative Muslim city. I'm sure anything west of Ankara is chill, and I heard you can openly date women, but being a foreigner there actually put me at a disadvantage...

Almaty, Kazakhstan however is a lot more cosmopolitan and thanks to the Russians for flooding the country with cheap, cheap vodka, Kazakhs like to party and partake in all the nightlife activities. Foreigners aren't so uncommon these days, so you still have to put in a bit of work, but it does give you a bit of an advantage to start out with.
>>
>>1104696

>I'm the Spanish bro from the other thread. Where in Turkey did you live? Why didn't you like it?
See above post.
That and I found the locals to be very xenophobic and just downright unfriendly. It didn't help that my complexion makes look like I'm of Middle Eastern origin. Not saying the whole of Turkey is bad, just this city in particular is a special case and is notorious around Turkey for its rude people. Ask your Turkish friends about and I'm sure they can tell you more.

>As well, I'd like to know if you got any kind of formation at the time of starting teaching
Like I said above, I had practice lessons teaching students who were preparing to enter uni and needed English to get accepted and as a result these students were self motivated. This gave no preparation, however, to teach a classroom full of rowdy Turkish high schoolers who didn't want to learn English. While the course was helpful, I found that I learned the most from sharing ideas with other teachers I worked with, learning from my mistakes and thinking of how I can approach thithe differently.

Teaching teens are a pain in the ass and these days I only look for jobs teaching adults. Don't have time to babysit people's shitty kids.

>What about the difficulties want did you find the most complicated thing of Esl teacher lifestyle?

I never experienced any homesickness since every day is brand new and interesting to me. Simple things like walking down the street becomes a joy when you're trying to read the signs or understand the people behind you speaking their native language. That's just me though.

I would say that a lot of new teachers struggle for a little bit when starting out teaching and it can be a bit discouraging if you don't have a strong support system at your school or miss your mum comforting you lol.

The biggest difficulty for me was the lack of flavor and spice in food in Turkey and Kazakhstan. Fucking Turkic palates, man... Weren't they situated on the Silk Road?
>>
>>1095791
The above two posts are mine. I'm half black and race has never been an issue for me. As long as you know your shit and do your best to speak with a neutral accent, your students will love having you as a teacher. Yea, even those cunty teens, although you may have to drop a few bars. I give my students a 5min break during our 2 hour lessons and I teach them Ebonics, which they absolutely enjoy.
>>
>>1101420
Are you me?
>>
>>1104803
Or at least the femaon version of me?
>>
>>1104791
>Almaty, Kazakhstan however is a lot more cosmopolitan and thanks to the Russians for flooding the country with cheap, cheap vodka, Kazakhs like to party and partake in all the nightlife activities. Foreigners aren't so uncommon these days, so you still have to put in a bit of work, but it does give you a bit of an advantage to start out with.
very cool, kazkh girls seem very attractive to me

a shame you are in a turbo Muslim city and not the outer Ankara region
>>
>>1104801
I want to network with you, if you are willing to chat through steam or something. Exchange real info after you vet me. Black military dude who has conversed with you in several threads in the past.
>>
Does anyone here have any experience with pursuing TEFL as a career? I have a useless degree and no career experience other than teaching English. TEFL is all that's left for me.
>>
>>1105215
The career is transitionin from TEFL to an international school or otherwise regular school, not an English school. This typically involves getting both your degree and getting licensed to teach. People will use TEFL to fund the degree and teaching license and go from there.
>>
>>1105218

So it's better to pursue work at an international school rather than get an MTESOL and try to work at universities?

Also, are online programs a good way to get licensed? Teacher Ready in particular seems like a decent one.
>>
>>1105233
I thin universities fall under the same umbrella of international schools, it's the same path, but if you want to break it down, there's way more schools than universities, with more turn over probably
>>
>>1105215
If you put in a few years teaching and further your education (a master's in TESOL, a DELTA, etc.) you could land yourself an administrative position in a language center.

My roommate had 5 years of teaching experience and had just completed his DELTA when he found a job as an ADOS in Vietnam. He earns $5000 USD a month. This ebin maymay that ESL teaching is dead job is only true for dancing monkey teachers who don't take teaching seriously.
>>
>>1105152
I knew you'd be lurking around here bro.
Gimme a shout at [email protected]
>>
>>1105146
There's lots of qtpies, but a whole lot of beanpies as well. Kazakhstan is great since you get about every ethnicity from Eastern Europe and to the east living in there. There's something to satisfy everyone's palate.

How are the femanons in Turkey? Any luck with the kizler?
>>
Currently I'm earning 70,000 AUD as a teacher in Australia, paying nothing in terms of rent (Remote NT), and will see a constant increase in pay per year, with the chance for a leadership position a very real possibility. I stand a real good chance to save 25,000 minimum by the end of this year.

But a part of me has been yearning to go to Taiwan or Japan and teach for a year, just to experience it. Even though realistically I will earn a fraction of what i do now.

Fuck, I envy you ESL teachers sometimes, it seems like it would be an amazing experience.

Maybe I'll just go on a holiday to sate my desires.
>>
You actually have to have an education, but teaching college online as an adjunct professor is an option for financing travel
>>
>>1106730
Fuck that! I'm not really keen on getting into academia until I'm much older.

I'll certainly be getting my Masters and hopefully a PhD in my lifetime, but I'm only 23 in my first year of teaching so I rather not go rushing back into Uni again just yet.
>>
>>1106732
>I'm not really keen on getting into academia until I'm much older.
If you don't do it early enough, you never will.

It's harder to get back into the longer you've been gone. For one thing, funding opportunities dry up after your mid-30s (so unless you've saved up to do it yourself, you're SOL). You also need the experience and track-record of arse-licking that academia requires. You cannot simply re-enter it as a 'nobody' who has too much actual real-world job experience (anathema to academia, as you may one day discover). There are dozens of lackies who've been posturing for years for any given position.

I did my MA and stayed in academia... it's been 6 years now and I'm honestly looking for the path out. '
>>
>>1106800
There are so many only masters programs from legit schools you can work and get it at the same time
>>
>>1106818
Studying for an MA and working in academia are not the same thing.
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.