[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most vegan-friendly countries? What are the worst?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: girlandcow.jpg (196KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
girlandcow.jpg
196KB, 500x493px
What are the most vegan-friendly countries?

What are the worst?

(recent vegan, can do with vegetarianism too on occasion, if it helps a bit)
>>
>>1089040
Why? Damn, people can't have conversations anymore without thinking something is a bait.
>>
>>1089036
Where is it that you are comparing for your travels? Probably the best vegan friendly country will be the ones where its religiously restricted.

But, is this a poll for curiosity? Or do you intend to go somewhere soon?
>>
>>1089045
I started vegan diet in january, and I'm trying to chose a destination for this summer, and since I don't want to bother everyone every time we go in a restaurant, and ending in a place where the only vegan/vegetarian stuff is salad...
>>
>>1089047
PS : I'm not 12, my english is just terrible, sorry.
>>
>>1089047
Again, what are your likely choices? I'm a foodie, and I could suggest specific tips.

As a recent vegan (or really anyone with funky diet restrictions), you need to know your shit. Don't be clueless what you could do to feed yourself given a quick grocery stop your 1st day of the trip. A bag of apples, jar of PB, yogurt for the fridge, and you have portable snacks to keep you alive when other people plans don't jive with you. Box of powerbars in the luggage too. What you want to do is not all that different than some athlete "in training" or lactose intolerant. There doesn't have to be major considerations for you if you don't want to eat junk.

One of your tricks is eating ethnically, and also not to be totally inflexible. So, for instance, you get your family/friends interested in indian food/curries, chinese/asian food, which will be easy in all of the US and Caribbean. If you go to Mexico, are you going to be pissed off if the refried beans might contain lard? Or if the rice was cooked in chicken stock? If you can let that go, you'll do alright. You order cheese dishes, mushrooms, and know a bit about their native dishes, to get something made for you. Molletes at breakfast, cafe with milk, and so on. Ask for things nicely with some knowledge of what they could have on hand, and waitstaff will be kind in return. Don't whine.
>>
>>1089052
>If you go to Mexico, are you going to be pissed off if the refried beans might contain lard? Or if the rice was cooked in chicken stock? If you can let that go, you'll do alright.
Nah I'm not like that...because I know it would be too hard when I eat outside, and also because I can deviate a bit once in a while if my main diet is what I believe in.

>>1089052
>Again, what are your likely choices?
At the moment Thailand, India, Korea, and Japan mainly. And maybe USA but as the regions seem really different from each other I wouldn't know where to start. But I'm opened to pretty much anything actually.
>>
>>1089053
USA is very vegan friendly in the Northeast and the West Coast. NYC has an abundance of vegetarian/vegan options and DC, Boston, and Philly aren't far behind.
>>
>>1089053
I think you'll be just fine. I'd put my time and energy into picking any of those locations. Asia is ideal for vegans if you don't mind broth. The US is fine too, if you are in basic suburbia and cities. Asians don't consume protein with every meal and nearly every menu will have vegetable choices. They steam their rice, primarily.

Then, after the country/city choice, you do the local version of yelp.com to find a few nice places (or talk to hotel concierges). Frommers/Fodors/LonelyPlanet/TripAdvisor will address vegetarian-friendly it in their suggestions for that city too. Hotels will accommodate all kinds of guests, so they are safe for finding items on menus when you dine in.

If you were going to say the rainforests in Costa Rica, or trekking through Peru, well, I'd worry you could encounter towns and occasional situations where the menu would stump you for an option on what to do. For your choices? No worries. They're all mostly lactose intolerant, too, so no dairy thrown into everything.
>>
India
>>
>>1089036
There's good reason for >>1089040 but I'll answer anyway.

India and parts of Africa are probably very Vegan friendly.

Some parts of Africa really go in for a bread & dips kind of cuisine. Ethiopia especially.

India has huge numbers of vegetarian restaurants and you can just avoid the yoghurt and cheese and ask for curries that don't use ghee.

For best results, go to religious aligned restaurants.

There are whole states of India that are mostly vegetarian.
>>
File: CSJubgm.png (159KB, 562x869px) Image search: [Google]
CSJubgm.png
159KB, 562x869px
I found Poland and Germany to be very vegan friendly when I traveled there last year. Quite a few vegan restaurants per city (even small ones) and Germany even has a vegan supermarket chain.

Ethiopia is okay if you just eat fasting food.

I'm from New Zealand so here and Australia I have found to be quite vegan friendly in my travels. Most cafes have good breakfast options that are vegan and all cafes have at least soy milk for coffee. There are usually quite large sections for vegan food in the supermarkets in these countries but the price isn't very reasonable in comparison to Germany.
>>
File: téléchargement.jpg (12KB, 290x173px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement.jpg
12KB, 290x173px
>>
>>1089036
India. Lacto-Ovo Vegetarianism is the norm (not that there aren't lots of normal omnivores too), and there are several sects that follow vegan diets. I'm a 'mostly vegetarian'/flexitarian, but I will not miss an opportunity to mention that veganism is fucking retarded and you're retarded too. But the answer you're looking for is clearly India. Nepal and Sri Lanka should be fine too.

USA of course and any rich modern country will have vegan restaurants here and there.

>>1089112
>I found Poland and Germany to be very vegan friendly
LOL. I live in Germany, and I think "very" is the wrong modifier here, bud. Maybe try "somewhat".

>vegan supermarket chain
Bullshit. In hipster areas of Berlin and a few Berlin-wannabe outposts, yes, but I would not describe it as a 'Germany' phenomena. I know the chain you mean, and mostly it's overpriced for the same shit you can get at other stores too. Veganism is as fringe here as in the rest of the world.
>>
>>1089036
If you truly want to stay vegan you're probably pretty much stuck to (rich) western countries where vegan lifestyle is a choice. Vegetarian is easier since a lot of "poorer" countries like India don't eat as much meat since it's expensive but still use animal products like fats, milk, eggs etc.
>>
>>1089053
ok well then you aren't a vegan

lard is a form of meat. Its not a product like milk or eggs.

Don't be lazy and just google a restaurant before going.
>>
>>1089036
>consider
Travel with people who share your same eating habits or are very sympathetic to them. Eating is something you have to do continuously so its always going to be an issue. My girlfriend loves seafood and I dont. If we are somewhere that is known for its seafood I pray that the menu has something else on it. Its not usually an issue but I imagine this concept would get magnified with much more particular eating habits.
>>
>>1089036
I can say that my vegan friend had a very hard time in Bolivia. THere's chicken in fucking everything.
>>
This is something I've been thinking about lately as well. I have been vegan for 2 years and have recently gotten into couchsurfing. I dont want to impose on any hosts who might cook for me and, should i travel out of the U.S., want to at least try the ethnic food. I have been considering reacclimating my body to dairy/meat before a trip for these reasons, I just have yet to do so.

Honestly anywhere urban you wont jave a hard time, there are always vegan options in large cities, especially in u.s. and canada
>>
>>1089036

Don't ever forget that vegans are less than 2% of the population. If you throw a hissy fit or are condescending at all to anywhere that can't accommodate you, then it's you that ends up looking like a massive jackass.

Don't expect the rest of the world to bend to your preferences. If you are American, this goes double for you.
>>
>>1089511
Your body is already "acclimated" to meat and dairy, shitforbraind. Humans are omnivores.
>>
>>1089059
>Peru
I found Peru to be quite easy for vegetarians actually. While vegetarianism is a fairly unknown concept there, almost any restaurant will serve several non-meat dishes, and while trekking through bumhole nowhere it's easy enough to simply ask for something without meat.

Other than the countries mentioned here already, I found Georgia to be really easy.

>>1089756
Gut bacteria change according to your diet. You don't eat meat, you become less able to properly digest it. Simply put, if you haven't eaten meat for years, and suddenly you do, this will lead to explosive rectal decompression.
>>
>Israel.
Hey there, here in Tel Aviv each Cafe or resturant has a vegan friendly menu of its own. Really.
In Tel Aviv especially there are a lot of vegan people.
You go around the streets, you'll find stickers ang graffitis about vegan lifestyle.
>>
>>1089036
Egypt.

I eat a lot of meat but in Egypt most of street food is vegan and delicious. I think I spent about a month there without even touching meat (only had some powder milk sometimes).

Turkey would be also good place because it's probably the richest cuisine in Eurasia. However, animal products are much more popular there than in Egypt.
>>
>>1089053
>At the moment Thailand,
hard to avoid fish based products. Fish and oyster sauce is in almost everything, but easy enough outside of that.
>>
Taiwan, vegetarian restaurants / buffets are common. Plus you can find good food from everywhere else in Asia here as well
>>
>>1089036
>being a vegan.

It's like you hate yourself enough to starve your body of ninety percent of all the required nutrients.
>>
OP
Almost every country has been mentioned
I think with a little forward planning you can go literally anywhere
Just go where you want
>>
>>1089036
Melbourne, Australia is really good.

NYC is good too.

Pretty much anywhere thats really progressive and cultured will have good vegan food.
>>
>>1091264
>hurrrrr veguns dunt get nutrishun!
>vegan eat da lettuce all dai lol

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

I guarantee my diet is far more nutritious than yours.
>>
>>1091319
>he's a vegan cuck
>>
>>1091319
I guarantee my diet is a billion times more delicious than yours you cuck
>>
>>1089036
Don't forget your B12 OP.

Also, how are people in the UK attitudes toward Vegans in general? Do waiters turn into pricks when you ask them if they serve vegan meal?
>>
Ethiopia, definitely.

They fast multiple times a year, for them fasting means vegan food.

Just order yourself a delicious fasting injera in every single restaurant.

It is also gluten free, as their special wheat (Teff?), is naturally free from gluten.
>>
>>1091460
If the menu offers a vegetarian (as often as not vegan by default) or vegan section, then order from that. Going to a restaurant where you know dairy or eggs are likely common in dishes (much less meat itself) and asking in that typically haughty vegan way about substitutions makes you the prick.

>>1091465
teff is not wheat though, it's teff.
>>
>>1091465
>It is also gluten free, as their special wheat (Teff?), is naturally free from gluten.
Sorghum, m8
>>
>>1092778
It's not sorghum either.
>>
>>1091319
Semen doesn't have nutrients anon
>>
>>1089036
Maybe israel.
-palestinain vegan.
>>
>>1089066
India certainly for vegetarian. Vegan might still be hard though cause they use ghee in a lot of cooking and eat a lot of paneer
>>
File: but what do I know.jpg (206KB, 775x1523px) Image search: [Google]
but what do I know.jpg
206KB, 775x1523px
>>1092843
...but it does. Trust me, I know. No homo.
>>
>>1089036
vegan friendly?? wtf should that be? a place where all vegans tell each other what good persons they are? wtf is wrong with you??? you can eat fucking rice anywhere... youre a predator, just accept it
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.