[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of moving from Houston to Seattle. Has anyone been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: seattle.jpg (21KB, 659x306px) Image search: [Google]
seattle.jpg
21KB, 659x306px
Thinking of moving from Houston to Seattle.
Has anyone been to both places and can tell me the difference?
Does anyone live in Seattle and can give some insight?

Also, feel free to ask me about Houston or Texas
>>
Moved to beaumont not to long ago.. what i dont like about going to houston is the busy ass traffic and the fact that the freeways are ALWAYS under construction
>>
Why are you moving? Do you have a job lined up?
>>
>>1066276
Visited Houston, live in Seattle now. (Used to live in New Orleans.)

+ Still no income tax.
- more hipsters than Austin
- no oil money
+ lots of tech money.
+ Summer is way nicer than Houston.
- Winter way worse than Houston.
+ Seattle winter better than in the midwest.
+? Instead of Latinos, Seattle has Asians
-- Hard to make friends in Seattle.
+ No god damn mosquitoes, termites and cockroaches.
>>
I've spent lots of time in Houston and have lots of friends there, but lived in Seattle for 8 years.

Before you consider further, Google "Seattle freeze" and "Seasonal affective disorder in Seattle". These things will affect you very strongly, especially coming from Houston. Cost of living is also a big deal but I'm guessing you know that already.

If you have a 150k+ job lined up maybe it's worth it, otherwise just don't. Personally I was making that much and I'm considering accepting a large pay cut to move to Austin, to a place where people are genuinely friendly and everyone's not depressed 8 months out of the year.

People will tell you that SAD and the freeze aren't a big deal, but they are for most people I know there.
>>
>>1066276
After tonight's Texans performance, I can definitively say Seattle has a better team
>>
>>1067759
Both Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and Seattle freeze might exist, or they might just be random crap people say.
Even if SAD exists, it affects at most 10% of the population and majority of those will be women. If you do have SAD, just buy some D3 vitamins; like $20 will be enough for the whole winter.

However, definitely don't move here without a good job. Seattle is expensive.
>>
>>1066276

I hope you like rain.
>>
>>1067798
The Seattle Freeze is bullshit. Seattle has the highest rate of people living alone, it seems like everyone either by themselves in a studio or with their partner/family. It just seems easier to find roommate situations in other places I've lived, which can help with making friends.

Also the weather and the fact that it takes an hour to get anywhere by bus makes people here lethargic. Seems like people hibernate during the winter, but that doesn't make them unfriendly or unapproachable.

SAD can be real though. I grew up in the pnw so rain/grey skies don't bother me much but I have had transplant friends who legitimately think it's depressing. You either get used to it or you let it bother you. Personally I miss the rain when it's gone. It's also easy to forget how far north we are but I used to go to school in the dark and leave after sunset - it's possible to spend weeks without seeing sunlight.
>>
I'm going to san antonio for two weeks for some training for my Job. Will be at the lackland air force base. I have no idea what to do there (in terms of tourism and checking the place). Also, as I am a muslim, are there any suitable places to eat? How likely is it that I will get shot? Coming from the UK btw.
>>
>>1068531
The river walk and Alamo are pretty much the only things to do there. There are a few halal restaurants and places with halal food selections but Texas has an incredibly low muslim population compared to the U.K., do you wear traditional clothing? If you wear that shit around there or the air force base you will defo get some looks.

As for getting shot, it's very unlikely but it does happen from time to time unfortunately. The vast majority of shootings are revenge killings for someone killing there own friend/family member. This tends to happen in the overwhelmingly black areas and to a lesser extant Hispanic neighborhoods. Anywhere in downtown should be perfectly safe for most parts of the day.
>>
>>1068531
>A muslim walks into an airforce base in Texas...

I don't know much. The base has a mosque. So people there would know where to eat. I think there are a lot of halal places in North San Antonio.

I mean, you might get shot, but probably not for being muslim. It just that everyone in the US has that problem.
>>
Seattle is great for tech. Behind Silicon Valley but ahead of NYC.

>>1067759
150k is an exaggeration, you can get by on half that if you are willing to do a modest commute. SV & NYC, yeah, you'll need at least 150k if you want to do things like buy a condo, go on vacation, and retire.
>>
>>1068533

Nope. Don't have a beard neither. I look indian (ethnically bengali) so hard to tell I am a muslim.

Do you think its wise to walk around the areas near the air base? are they safe places? Or would it be too suspicious to see a brown man walking in and out of the airbase?
>>
>>1068531
San Antonio has a Six Flags park and a SeaWorld park. Both are major amusement park chains and both have high-end rides. San Antonio is a great place for these types of attractions to be, as the Central Texas area has some of the best weather year round (warm all year + not too wet and not too dry) in the mainland US.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.