[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accounting to ESL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: beaver.gif (78KB, 450x482px) Image search: [Google]
beaver.gif
78KB, 450x482px
Hey /trv/,

I am an accountant from Canada. The main reason why I picked this career was because my parents wanted me to pick it.

I want to become an ESL teacher teaching overseas in the long run. In the past, I did some tutoring and I loved it. I am asexual, so I am not interested in having kids. I can earn enough to live comfortably in another country.

However, my parents do not want me to become an ESL teacher. They want me continue being an accountant. They said that if I decide to teach English abroad, they will not let me inherit their house. (I am their only child, but they can still donate the money to charity).

Should I still stick with the idea of teaching English abroad? Any advice here?
>>
>>1061300
Yes you should. And if your parents really love you, you'll still inherit their house. If not, who cares? You live overseas now anyway. Follow your dreams.
>>
>>1061304
>You live overseas now anyway
Things may not work out though. For example, I may not get used to the culture there or I may be sacked and unable to find a new job. If that happens, I am broke.
>>
>>1061300
See a therapist. Something you need to work out or get medication....

If you interrupt the accountant career, yea, you royally screw up and mess up all that you've worked hard to do. Why not put your time into getting a second degree that transitions you into a) more income/portability for this travel abroad idea, and b) appeases parents concerns for your future (because yah, you can't affording the upkeep on a house/taxes with loser prospects) and c) stimulates your mind a bit more than teaching english to third world idiots. Talk about lonely and boring both, someone with your personality will dieeeee from anyone speaking ever to you on a level that keeps a single/no-family person satisfied.
>>
>>1061304
>>1061654
Who should I listen to?
>>
Why ESL? Why not just do accounting overseas?
>>
>>1061657
I enjoyed tutoring more than accounting. I like interacting with kids.
>>
>>1061656
YOURSELF
START MAKING DECISIONS FOR YOURSELF
WANT TO GO AND TEACH ENGLISH?
FUCKING DO IT.

WANT TO BE A BITCHING ACCOUNTANT?
DO IT.

MAN UP NIGGA
>>
>>1061660
My parents said they will not let me inherit their house though. Is it really worth it?
>>
>>1061663
Is it worth following your dreams and doing what YOU want?
Do you want to let others rule your life decisions because of a fucking house?
Houses come and go, life changing decisions do not.

Make the decision that feels right for YOU. Dont let other decide what YOU do.

its YOUR life.

Grow a pair.
>>
>>1061659
Do it part time. Mentor on the side
>>
>>1061665
This guy >>1061681
said I can tutor part-time though.
>>
What type of accounting designation are you working towards, or already have?

How old are your parents, and where is their house? Is it like a million dollar one in Vancouver, or a 300000 one in Winnipeg.

Are they east asian? Kind of sounds like it. If you're asexual, then you're kind of fucking with the whole Confucius thing a lot more than what your job is.
>>
Have you thought about working in accounting in the countries you want to move to? I'm sure you could find accounting jobs as a foreigner in many cities in Asia. You could also possibly ask around to see if your contacts know of a company hiring that's either based or will be doing business abroad and offer your services. In fact, if you did this it could lead to an even better career than by staying at home. You could go on to do a masters degree in international accounting or international trade or MBA and your experience abroad would look great to get into very good masters programs.

You could also look into accounting based consulting work abroad.

Those are just suggestions, if you really have your mind set on ESL teaching go for it. It's not a well paying career and there's no progress in it like you'd see in your field of work but we should all be doing what we want to and love. I know some folks who were working great careers and decided to quit to travel and do charity work. I think working 9-5 for 40+ years is a bullshit concept that is basically modern day slavery. Don't feel like your whole life should be dictated by the fact your parents might not give you their house.
>>
>>1061684
Too bad you're Canadian. US Federal government has several jobs overseas that involve accounting, according to USAjobs.gov
>>
>>1061654
oh yeah he asks a reasonable question, and the obvious solution is to develop a reliance on medication. wtf kind of advice is this?

>>1061300
Can you get a Masters in Accounting? There are a few routes you could take with that.

You could get a masters overseas wherever you wanted to teach, and teach ESL part time. After graduating you can decide which route you want to take, and you will not have cut yourself out of the accounting job.

You can get a Masters in Accounting in the USA, which will only make it easier for you to get an ESL job overseas, may appease your parents, and may get you a University job which would be better in the long run. You might also consider teaching accounting overseas with a Masters degree you have earned in the USA.

The other option is to get a short contract teaching ESL in Colombia for 4 months, they have those. Or go to Asia for a year and save some money and explore. Then after that do what you want. At least you will have the experience when you are young, it makes a big difference imo.

There are a lot of different options. Nothing wrong with just jumping into ESL headfirst and going from there. I don't think medication is necessary.
>>
>>1061707
It is an expensive one in Vancouver. Is it really that obvious that I am Asian?
>>1061710
Do these people you know regret quitting their jobs? Are they happy now?
>>1061865
Pretty sure you need a license to practise accounting overseas.
>>
This board is becoming /adv/ for manchildren

Do what you want, if you wanna teach overseas, do it, if you wanna be an accountant and inherit a house, do it.
Personally, I'd be telling your asshole parents to get fucked. Your a grown man, they can't decide the direction of your career after your graduate.
>>
>>1062227
My parents may be right that I may have trouble getting used to the life in a new country though.
>>
>>1062263

If you're Asian you won't have the easiest time getting English-teaching work in Asia. A lot of parents demand a white face to go with the white language. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Still, you will be able to find work. If you choose this path (i.e., abandon accounting) you'd better really love it. And by that I mean love it enough to enjoy doing the same thing, year after year after year, for essentially the same salary, year after year after year. Career advancement is almost zero in this field, unless you open your own school (say hello to a 5 or 6 years of 70-hour weeks) or go the full academic route and return to school for a Master's in Education (or a doctorate).

Think of it like your favorite food. Do you love it enough to eat it every day for the rest of your life? Enough to swear off eating any other food?

As other anons have advised you, you're probably better off sticking with accounting. Career prospects and the money are far better (trust me, these are things that will become increasingly important to you as you get older), and accounting is an easy field to use to move into something else -- management, consulting, finance, etc.

If you still have a yen to tutor, do it as a volunteer in the evenings and weekends. If you still want to see the world, travel during your generous vacation time. You'll be happier and your parents will be happier, and you won't be stuck in a dead-end career in a country you may not care for very much.
>>
>>1062263

You should also keep in mind that a significant percentage of the anons advising you to "fuck your parents, grow a set, follow your dreams, etc." are not so much giving advice as they are justifying their own life choices.
>>
File: IMG_0438 2.png (812KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0438 2.png
812KB, 2048x1536px
>>1061300
Give up a good carer for a meme tier job with shit tier payment.
And hello again...
>>
>>1062295
That is not me.
>>
>>1061300
It's your life, do what you want. Who cares if you inherit a fucking house?

You're the only child, you've got them by the balls. Even more so that you're 'asexual'.

Why not go abroad with that accounting degree? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a job somewhere with English-speaking firms. Dubai, Singapore, London, New York, China, India, wherever the fuck you want.

>accountant
>asexual
big surprise.
>>
>>1062263
What the fuck do your parents know? Really?

>>1061663
> they will not let me inherit their house though
That's their only bargaining chip? A fucking house? Who the fuck cares.
>>
>>1062330
Is just becoming an ESL teacher worth it?
>>
>>1062352
You would even make more money as a trained burger flipper. ESL is the biggest meme ever.
Minimum wage, no future job. If you're a /r9k/ retard go for it.
Else enjoy no money, no pussy, no future.
>>
>>1062469
But the pay is ok here: http://leaveyourdailyhell.com/2014/01/07/how-much-money-can-you-make-teaching-english/
>>
>>1062352
>>1062478
Holy shit you're annoying. Did you bother reading the comments on the link you posted? Did you bother reading any of the useful advice already posted ITT? How much hand-holding do you need? Stop wasting everyone's time with this meme-spamming shit. Nobody here cares what you do or don't do; stop being such a faggot and make up your own mind.
>>
>>1062469
It depends, really. There is a lot of entry-level wages kept that get stuck at these rates because so many people are willing to take entry-level shit wages for a year and move on.

There is a potential career-track for those serious enough about it, but it's a relatively small arena at the higher levels.

I've been doing EFL for 5ish years and make €40k a year. Not bragging about that, as I realize it's not super high, just putting it into perspective. On the other hand, I don't want to buy a house or a fancy car, so it suits me just fine. I'm still saving about €1.5k a month at my spending levels.
>>
>>1062469
>You would even make more money as a trained burger flipper. ESL is the biggest meme ever.

Granted, you're looking for bites, but I'll feed you anyway. The average ESL salary works out to about $15-18USD/hr which is certainly more than a burger flipper makes. The "biggest meme ever" is inexplicably hating on ESL and saying anyone who does it is in the poor house and is the dregs of humanity.

Why honestly does ESL draw so much venom from random Anons? It's at a point where it's almost comical. I can't think of any other explanation of why people hate on this so much or even give a shit what other people do with their lives in this regard other than it's some guy who doesn't even have the measly bachelor's degree required so he lashes out at some unskilled guy who does and gets paid to live in another country for a while with basically zero qualifications.

It's like the only people who really make fun of other people or care what they're doing with their lives are people who are unhappy or unsatisfied themselves.

>>1062275
Lol, I remember you from the other similar thread where the guy was talking about giving up being a lawyer to do ESL. You parroted the same shit back then.
>>
>>1063008
What is your job? What country and what kind of job?
>>
>>1063012
>inexplicably hating on ESL and saying anyone who does it is in the poor house and is the dregs of humanity

I think you're both exaggerating and purposefully misunderstanding what people are posting -- the common response is that ESL is fine for a year or two or three, but as a permanent career is largely a dead-end for all but a handful of people.

>the only people who really make fun of other people or care what they're doing with their lives are people who are unhappy or unsatisfied themselves.

Welcome to the internet. Do you plan on staying long?

>You parroted the same shit back then.

LOL indeed. However: (a) It's true; (b) I didn't "parrot" anything; and (c) Misery loves company, as you just pointed out yourself. If you think posters who make fun of other people are "unhappy" or "unsatisfied," why is it so difficult for you to believe that people who give bad advice are often exactly the same?
>>
>>1063018
>I think you're both exaggerating and purposefully misunderstanding what people are posting -- the common response is that ESL is fine for a year or two or three, but as a permanent career is largely a dead-end for all but a handful of people.

Not that guy, I am the one who previously suggested he mentor/tutor on the side. That said, I don't think it being a dead end career is true, as much as most people that do it don't want it to be a career. I think specifically ESL opportunities are small at the higher levels, but don't outstrip demand. So if you want to do ESL as a career it is still possible. Especially, as I stated in other threads, you expand beyond ESL to becoming a genuine teacher at an international school, or even just a school in general, if you learn the language. And ESL is a great foundation for this. Let's say you are Joe blow with a useless bachelor, or it's in a field you find you don't like. You go do ESL for a year or two, while simultaneously getting your teacher certification, then apply for a "real" teaching job, with 2 years experience already teaching abroad.
>>
>>1063040
>while simultaneously getting your teacher certification

ESLfag here who is thinking about this. How would I go about getting state certified while still out of the US? Are there actually online programs? Are they not sketchy?
>>
>>1063056
Go to a legit university online. You do have to be aware of their proctoring policies. Or look at the universities close to where you are. Park University out of Missouri has a good proctorless online program. I haven't looked at their teaching program, but got my associates from them before transferring for my bachelor's in business. What country are you in? US and UK teaching credentials are the most marketable.
>>
>>1063056
>>1063064
In 'the biz', online programs are generally considered second-tier. For something like teaching, they're honestly inappropriate anyway. Think about it, how are you really going to learn to be a better teacher by reading some shit on your laptop? You need real in-class experience and personalized feedback, and these are next to impossible with an online program.

In general, such things are just cash-grabbing from the university, with little concern for ensuring quality. Sometimes that can make sense, I don't want to make blanket statements against them... but for teaching, they are junk.
>>
>>1063163
East Carolina University is one of the biggest names in teaching, and they have an online program, though proctored exams. Chapel Hill has renowned online MBA program. What you said was true, but legit schools have extensive online programs these days, and it's not like your diploma even reflects it was online. Move into the 21st century with the rest of us. There are even state funded online high schools these days
>>
>>1063166
I'm not American so IDGAF.

I'm aware 'legit schools' offer online programs, and just as I said: they are generally cash grabs. What I said about online programs for teaching English is even more true. I know because I'm in a position to hire people (in a small committee), and this is the overwhelming impression we get from anyone who presents a TEFL cert of some kind from an online program. They are generally garbage. Not everything can be taught or learned from behind a computer screen. With something like teaching, you absolutely need personal 1-to-1 contact with instructors who actually know you. If it's all theory and then a proctored exam (so what? 'proctored' just means supervised), you're missing the biggest part of it.

I'd be very curious to see where online distance learning teaching degrees get their grads. I bet it is not very far...
>>
>>1063314
How would an employer even know it'san online program? I'm talking teaching certifications from established schools for people who already have a bachelors. Not TESL certs from Internet operations. In the scenario. We aren't even talking about the same thing.
>>
>>1063314
Yeah, I think there was some miscommunication. For example, there is no indication if a degree is online or in-person on a resume or diploma. There is virtually no difference. This being established schools.
>>
>>1063337
>>1063338
Yes, a TEFL and regular teaching cert are quite different. I'd still insist that teaching credentials are not something you just get out of the way by doing it online. Unless you live somewhere truly remote, it's worth getting your butt into an actual brick-and-mortar institution for pedagogy. I can't imagine a teaching degree without some kind of in-class experience and supervision.

Are your standards really this low that you think this is something you can simply do via laptop?
>>
>>1063447
You are showing a poor understanding of online programs. At least a legit ones. The classroom experienceis replaced online. That's it. But all other requirements still stand. For instance, my wife took a health P.E. class online, she was still required to go to a gym and get her time certified. Online education classes at ECU, for instance still require internships and spending time around kids, it's all just done remotely. If you are currently employed as an ESL teacher you are getting that real world experience of what you are learning on the "laptop" anyway. And your future employer will see this, alongside your teaching certificate.
>>
>>1063454
You are showing a poor understanding of teaching. *If* you're already working as a teacher, sure I'd agree that's OK under those circumstances. I didn't have a teaching degree when I started out. If the number of 'places' in these online courses are kept exclusive and low,, so that university instructors actually 'know' a small handful of individuals, I could also maybe get behind it, under certain circumstances.

But we are talking about teaching... and you want to replace the classroom experience with a laptop. How wise is that? Think about that a little harder, anon. If the classroom experience is that superfluous in your mind, you're definitely in the wrong thread.
>>
>>1063475
But the original question was specifically talking about going from ESL to an international school, so even if your POV is not wrong, it's irrelevant. We are talking about getting a teaching certification WHILE already working in ESL in order to transition to international schools
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.