[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of moving to NYC from PA. More specifically Manhattan.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: NYC.jpg (17KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
NYC.jpg
17KB, 318x159px
Thinking of moving to NYC from PA. More specifically Manhattan.
Tips?
I already consulted google, but i'd like some first experiences!
>>
>>1056499
I moved from PA to NYC upper east side/spanish harlem neighborhood in 1998. lived there until 2005. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason to move to NYC. Why would you?
>>
>>1056881
Just seems like there's so much more opportunity there, than here. I live in a small town near Harrisburg, so there's not much for me here (besides family of course). Why did you move to NYC?
>>
>>1056881
Also, what made you decide to leave?
>>
>>1056499
You have people moving to PA from NYC because the rents are to high. We just lost two big toy stores because of the rents. Go to Philly.
>>
>>1057262
>I live in a small town near Harrisburg

Move to Philly or the Lehigh Valley. Same amount of job opportunities in relation to the population without the headache of NY housing.

NYC is fucking shit anymore desu
>>
>>1057262

You have to go where you want to go, but there really isn't much opportunity in NYC. It's all nepotism. And because the cost of living is so high in Manhattan, you have to struggle and work super hard just to lead an average life. Like the goal becomes surviving, rather than thriving. It's just super hard to keep up.

And the cost of living isn't just about downsizing. You wouldn't believe how expensive shitty/outdated apartments can be.

Every other city I've been to/worked/lived in seems to allow an individual to exist there comfortably without having to partake in the rat race.

I'd recommend a city with similar opportunities, but with a lower cost of living. Philadelphia would be a city to start with. It really depends on what your goals are though. NYC is one of the best cities for consuming culture. It's unfortunately just not as accessible to ordinary folks as it used to be.
>>
>>1057537
>NYC is fucking shit anymore

You mean now
>>
>>1057397
>>1057537
>>1057724
OP here, thank you all for your replies!
>>
q1 - Do you have money ?

If yes, move to NYC, you wont regret it AT ALL.

q2 - Do you have good skills and a college degree in something useful ?

Ans- Secure a job and move to NYC, but check your cost of living. Manhattan is extremely expensive. So is Brooklyn.
>>
Advice from actual NYC resident:
Do you make at least 80k, or 50k if you're willing to have a roomate? Alternately, are you willing to be an hour from everything? If not, don't come here.
>>
New Yorker here, grew up in Brooklyn currently live in Staten Island, and currently work + go to school in Manhattan. Do not move here unless you want to be miserable and not have any peace of mind.
>>
>>1058524
Why would anyone live in Staten Island. It takes forever if you want to go to the city.
>>
>>1058532
To be able to afford a house for one. And no it takes me a 30 minute express bus ride to get to the city. Plus Staten Island is comfy as fuck, so many good restaurants etc. It's the closest suburban neighborhood to the city, I love having my own yard with a dog and driveway.
>>
>>1058543
Dunno. I live in Queens and my express bus takes an 90 minutes to go into Manhattan and two hours to go back. 30 minutes on a bus that uses the Verrazano and Gowanus.
>>
Just move to the Lehigh Valley or somewhere in Jersey and commute to the city....or if you want to be east of the city and commute in try somewhere on Long Island

trying to find a place in NYC in horrible
>>
>>1057537
>>1057888

no fuck you both, don't come to the valley. Everyone was already eating each others asses about how "great" we have it here while simultaneously hating on it.

Just leave me here to die in this barren wasteland, we don't need all these people pouring in . Also i'm from the most expensive part
>>
>>1056881
How much is your rent?

Do you listen to KISS?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.