[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got back from traveling Germany in a rental car, but received

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1280px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png (6KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
6KB, 1280x768px
Just got back from traveling Germany in a rental car, but received a parking ticket (10 euro) along the way. Think it was for not using some kind of window-displayed clock(?) while parked (no signs or notifications about this anywhere, so can't figure out why I got the ticket). However, i also have no idea how to pay it. They gave me a bank account where the money can be transferred, but I obviously don't have a Euro bank account. The rental company is useless because they want to me to have pay their "administrative fee" ($50 to pay the ticket for me) rather than giving me any info on how to pay the ticket myself. Online research doesn't reveal much more than posts saying things along the line of "I couldn't figure this out and nobody would help me, so I just didn't pay it and cancelled my credit card or paid a huge fine from the rental company". What the fuck do I do? I've already left Germany and am back in the US.
>>
here You can learn about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_parking
>>
>>1047375

Seems like a really strange way to do parking. There literally wasn't a single sign anywhere in the town about it. Regardless, how would I pay it? I don't have a bank account in Euros and an international wire transfer would cost many times what the actual fee is.
>>
File: rightxd.jpg (32KB, 685x700px) Image search: [Google]
rightxd.jpg
32KB, 685x700px
>>
Unless you travel to Germany often: don't pay. They'll dismiss the fine before you go back.
>>
>>1047370
Belgian here. I got three parking tickets in Austria, which I have never paid. It was two and a half years ago. Haven't heard anything about it since. I'll just never return with the same car I suppose.

>>1047384
>There literally wasn't a single sign anywhere in the town about it.
If you need to park with the disc, there's probably a sign in every street that uses the system. Maybe you're just not used to look for it because you don't know the system. Similarly I crossed Germany without even knowing I needed an environmental sticker on my windshield, I ignored the signs about them because I didn't know how to interpret them.
Or maybe they city you were in has a set policiy regarding disc parking, which everybody exept foreigners knows about. That's how I got my expensive parking tickets in Vienna.
>>
File: RIGHTXD.png (193KB, 1048x889px) Image search: [Google]
RIGHTXD.png
193KB, 1048x889px
>>1047391
Don't fucking tell me what to do.
>>
>>1047393

The issue is that it was with a rental car. If it was mine, I wouldn't pay. However, with a rental, the car company charges you a huge fee for it if they have to deal with it.
>>
>>1047384
No, because you're supposed to know. It's standard throughout several countries in Europe. Every driver in Germany has one of these parking discs, and in fact there are signs always posted to let you know it's a blue parking disc zone. You probably just didn't notice it. Locals can get them at various official offices, including the ADAC. The rental company should've given you one, and frankly they're douche-nozzles for not and not trying to help you more. I guarantee you they will pocket the difference if you pay them. I'd tell them to politely get stuffed and that you will discourage others from using them as you felt their lack of support in the beginning and afterwards was shitty service, and that you will be paying the ticket on your own, end of story.

Which company is it, if I may ask?

Anyway, if you want to pay, try transferwise.com. I use it for transferring money all the time, and you really do save a lot on those normal bullshit bank fees. Just checked, and it would cost you $3 to transfer 10. Not so bad, desu.

The nice thing is you can set the amount you transfer to equal exactly 10€, plus a tiny percentage as reserve. They'll wait a couple days to see if the rate is going down and wait for the minute with (according to their algorithms) the cheapest exchange for you, and refund any difference. Again for 10€ not a heck of a lot of difference I guess, but I transfer back 2000€ or so every couple months and it saves me a shit ton. Do recommend.

Normally I'd say yea, skipping one stupid 10€ fine is never going to come back to haunt you. But if the rental company is making a stink about it, I guess they've got you by the balls.
>>
>>1047447

Company was Dollar/Hertz. They didn't tell us anything about the whole parking disc thing and then have given us no assistance in paying the ticket unless we fork over a $50 "administrative fee" on top of the price of the ticket.
>>
>>1047777
Those fuckers. As a German this pisses me off, because someone clearly didn't do their job informing visitors about shit like that. There's no excuse. I would honestly complain. Send an email in English to the branch or general customer service if you can.

nice quads too.
>>
How is it an issue dor you to wire money internationally? I know you americans still use checks and shit, but certainly your bank could help you with that?
Tell them to wire 10€ to the account and put the shit it says on the ticket in the subject line.
If youre having trouble understanding the german parking ticket system, just post it here and I'll translate and tell you what you need to know.
>>
Can't you just do an international transfer with internet banking? I do that all the time and don't even have to pay more than a few dollars in fees.
>>
>>1047801

Other than this, the trip to Germany was great. Went into Frankfurt and then drove all over the Black Forest. Wasn't too fond of large German cities, but the towns and countryside were gorgeous.
>>
>>1047370

First of all: why would you need an EU bank account to pay the money? This is 2015.

I would complain to the rental agency about their poor service before and after the ticket. See if they have any social media presence, if so, complain there. They will back off if you make a fuss about it.
>>
OP here. I wired the money, but there is no way to inform the German traffic agency that I have paid the ticket. The violation fee goes up after 10 days and payment has been sent but will not clear for up to 5 days. Tried calling the number on the ticket, but the automated system is, obviously, all in German. Any German bros here who can help me out?
>>
>>1047927
Bank deposit payments are a huge thing here in Germany.
>>
>>1047983

Yeah, they weren't really hot on credit cards. Bank payments aren't really much of a thing here in the US and cost an absolute fortune. Have no idea how somebody from abroad is supposed to take care of one of these tickets.
>>
>>1047966
Germany is bureaucratically anal enough that if you *sent* it within 10 days, you will be fine, regardless of when they *receive* it. So I wouldn't worry. They'll be informed you paid

Gotta say, hats off to you for actually going out of your way to pay a foreign parking ticket, even though it was somewhat unfairly acquired.
>>
>>1048365

Yeah, I mean I should have looked further into the rules before driving, but it seems like a really strange and easily overlooked rule that is designed to catch tourists. One would think that the car rental company would have gone over it and at least helped pay the ticket.
>>
Rental car companies use tickets as a scam. If you refuse to pay them they hit your credit report and send the debt to collections so people hound you. If you do pay them, they add a hefty administrative fee on top.
>>
I got a speeding ticket in Germany. My rental company told me they'd had to hand over my details and charged me a few euros admin fee, then I never heard anything.

I know it was legit because I saw the camera flash, but I guess once they saw I was from abroad, it wasn't worth pursuing for the small amount. Germany is a stupid country sign-wise, they seem to assume everyone is local and knows the rules.
>>
>>1048593
>they seem to assume everyone is local and knows the rules.
welcome to every big country ever. Frankly, knowing the traffic rules for a country you're driving in seems like a fair request.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.