[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /trv/. I am going to Oxford next semester from Canada and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Britain.jpg (94KB, 1600x811px) Image search: [Google]
Britain.jpg
94KB, 1600x811px
Hey, /trv/. I am going to Oxford next semester from Canada and was wondering where I should go on my March break. I don't want to spend a massive amount of money, but I want to go somewhere that would be fun for a short amount of time.
>>
Not Britain.
>>
>>1035665
Scots
>>
>>1035665
Do you mean in the UK or are you willing to get on a plane?

You have very good airport access, so lots of cheap European destinations.
>>
>>1035683
>>1035776
>>1035733
Yeah no, I wasn't thinking Britain or really anywhere in the UK, though Scotland may be fun. I would be willing to get on a plane because air travel is pretty cheap over there, suggestions?
>>
>>1035793

For a foreign trip I would suggest Budapest or Krakow, you ought to be able to get cheap flights out of Stansted pretty easily. How much time do you have? Will you be travelling for the whole easter vac?
>>
>>1037852
Budapest would be pretty interesting, I don't know a lot about Krakow how is it?
I think I have 9 days to travel from Friday after exams to the next Sunday when I need to be back.
Yeah I need to be gone for the whole vacation because the place I'm staying kicks me out.
>>
File: Canadian-Memorial.jpg (157KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
Canadian-Memorial.jpg
157KB, 700x500px
>>1035665

Locally Salisbury & Bath are worth visiting. Bath has the best architecture of Southern England.

If you like cycling I recommend Purbeck or the New Forest which are on the south coast.

Further afield, Brussels is a short flight away. It has regular trains to Ghent and Bruges. On a Sunday, Liege holds Europe's largest outdoor street market.

As a foot passenger you can travel very cheaply to the Channel Islands which is a mix of Norman French and English culture. Guernsey can be explored in a day (walk St Peter Port, then use cheap buses to circle the island) and has a plaque commemorating Isaac Brock, one of Canada's adopted heroes.
>>
York is nice
>>
>>1038014

Krakow is pretty interesting, one of the nicer cities in Poland and a lot of historical things to see if you're interested in that. 9 days would be enough time to do them both. You could also potentially squeeze in another stop (e.g. Prague) but you would need to think about timing carefully.

Btw if you want to go to places during term time and like hiking, you should think about joining the walking club (google Oxford University Walking Club). The trips for next term haven't been decided yet but it's likely it will be places like the Lake District, Snowdonia, Cornwall etc. Since you're going in a group in a minibus the cost is usually considerably less than if you were doing it by yourself on public transport.
>>
File: bibury.jpg (118KB, 980x380px) Image search: [Google]
bibury.jpg
118KB, 980x380px
>>1035665
Coach trips to London from Oxford are super cheap and run regularly from the main bus Station.

Within Oxford the collages are well worth seeing as is the Museum of Natural History & Pitt Rivers.

If you want somewhere a bit quirky to go to in Oxford, The Covered Market is pretty cool and you can find some seriously good food there, I especially recommend Ben’s Cookies (they are amazing, check out the double chocolate!) and Sasi Thai.

I also agree with the anon that said Salisbury & Bath, both are beautiful places.

If you like the whole 'quaint English village' thing, be sure to check out some of the Cotswold villages, they have quite a magical fairytale look about them, in a low-key sort of way.
>>
>>1038433
I think I have plans to go visit Bath and Salisbury, so this post makes me really hopeful.
Belgium sounds really comfy so Brussels -> Ghent -> Bruges -> Liege sounds like a great plan.

>>1038802
I could do Krakow and Budapest in the span of 9 days? That would be fantastic. I already have a group that enjoys hiking so I'll be sure to mention those spots, thanks!

>>1039165
How far away is The Covered Market? I'll probably get tired of the school food and want to try something new.
>>
>>1039406

The covered market is in central Oxford (off high street and cornmarket). There are quite a few good restaurants in Oxford too (my recommendations: al-shami, quod, pierre victoire. Prices are what you would expect for oxford but not out of this world).
>>
>>1039652
Is Oxford a particularly busy place or is it just filled with the students who go to the university?
>>
>>1040249

It's full of students. There are actually two universities (Oxford Brookes + Uni of Oxford) and a few other institutions like Ruskin. It is a fairly large city in it's own right though and is within easy reach of London so it does get very busy. It's also a big tourist destination.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.