[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some remakes of video games that are objectively worse

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 257
Thread images: 56

File: FMA-Cover.jpg (121KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
FMA-Cover.jpg
121KB, 500x460px
What are some remakes of video games that are objectively worse than the original?
>>
File: 1497053321102.jpg (150KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
1497053321102.jpg
150KB, 500x460px
What are some videogames that are canonically wrong but then fixed in an updated version?
>>
>>9802684
>canonically
who the fuck cares when the canon goes to shit in the second half?
>>
What are some off topic threads forced with a starting sentence like this so crossboarders can avoid having to discuss certain mediums on their respective boards?
>>
>>9802683
Twin Snakes
>>
File: King Bradley.jpg (18KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
King Bradley.jpg
18KB, 400x225px
Which games have sequels with outstanding action sequences and atmosphere?
>>
fpbp
>>
>>9802685
This guy being a cuck is canon
>>
>>9802683
>:(
>>
tfw I creamed my pants in Alphonse vs Pride and Kimbley
>>
File: image.png (49KB, 204x193px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
49KB, 204x193px
>>9802683
I hate this shitty meme. It's just like those deluded Huntercucks who think thier 1999 version is superior because "muh directing".
>>
Was Brotherhood that much worse?
>>
>>9802694
No it was better, OP is just being a faggot as usual.
>>
>>9802694
they were both good and enjoyable to watch.

I personally enjoyed brotherhood a little bit more.
>>
>>9802694
Brotherhood > fma.
>>
>>9802694
Brotherhood is better imo. Original is still pretty good but some of the shit that happens in the second half are just way to ludicrous.
>>
which had better humor? fma had a pretty good filler episode.
>>
>>9802694
The first anime series was pretty liberal in naming and personality. Several characters were switched around or combined with others. Brotherhood fixed it, but it was hard for some to accept it. Waifus were the first to go.
>>
>>9802694
Brotherhood is typical Naruto style, action scenes and shit, a little bit exaggerated
Classic tried to be more evangelion is, more dark/deep. Did good until the last 10 chapters I think, then the story went to the shutter. And God that final movie was total crap
>>
>>9802694
Brotherhood had much better action and a more fleshed out world, original had a better overall story and characters.
>>
>>9802694
op is a fagg, brotherhood was better in everyway
>>
>>9802702
>original had a better overall story
The story was shit after they started to do stuff that wasnt in the manga.
>>
File: Cinema vs Flick.png (1MB, 1600x495px) Image search: [Google]
Cinema vs Flick.png
1MB, 1600x495px
>>9802684
>>9802688
>>9802693
>>9802695
>Brotherhood
>Better

Borterhoop had a watershed color palette, considerable frame padding, low level of detail except at key points which just makes the anime feel disjointed and terrible cliche animation direction.
We're not even talking about the plot, which is objectively worse but that's beside the point.

2003 had a vibrant color palette, consistent animations, intense packed pacing and ballsy directors who weren't afraid to try new things.
>>
>>9802701
>deep
Just because they made it edgier than the source material doesn't mean its deep.
There was nothing complex or thought provoking about it.
>>
>>9802703
> better in every way
False, since it had to cover the first half the original did it ended up completely rushing it and making it nowhere near as heartfelt as the first, both series are mandatory for anyone that doesn't want to read the manga.
>>
>>9802705
>Borterhoop
Naming things you dont like like this is a 100% surefire way to let everyone know your argument is based in emotions and not objectivity.
>>
File: Scars-brother.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Scars-brother.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
>plot goes full iraq war
>>
>>9802702
I disagree about the original being better storywise. The part where Hoenhiem accepts his death is good in all but the story just seems like more story being piled on bit by bit unlike brotherhood where it was being built from the start. I also prefer the ending for characters like Scar and Ed not just getting bittersweet sendoffs from the world.
>>
>A whole thread about people who think the original FMA is better than the one that actually follows the manga's story

I bet you guys are just /pol/cucks who like it because the movie takes place in WWII europe and you can see your hero Hitler in anime form
>>
>>9802708
I'm not him, but he's right though. The original is better than Brotherhood in just about every way. I remember I started reading the manga because I liked the anime, but it turned out to be a shallow piece of shit that lacked any emotional depth to it. It was weird.
>>
>>9802705
mhu edge fuck off
>>
>>9802711
>Not following canon means its bad

you're the worst kind of faggot. I bet you're also the same kind of faggot that complains when a director doesn't translate every single lines from a book into a movie scene.
>>
>>9802709
yfw you realized God took his dick when he made Lust
>>
>>9802694
Brotherhood follows the manga closer, so it's odd when people shit on it because it's mostly how everything is suppose to be. It's like getting pissed if they did another Soul Eater that followed the manga closer, because they liked the original THAT much though only idiots think this way. Personally I found both enjoyable, but I'd rather stick with Brotherhood at the end of the day.
>>
>>9802714
You're the worst kind of faggot. I bet you defend Legolas being in the Hobbit Trilogy. Heck, I bet you defend it being a trilogy
>>
File: 1455814490400.png (144KB, 540x466px) Image search: [Google]
1455814490400.png
144KB, 540x466px
A better example would be the Hellsing series. but this is a shitposting thread so fuck it
>>
>>9802714
Bruh, it starts going to shit once the anime starts doing its own thing
>>
>>9802686
/v/ took a huge /pol/ cock in the ass, expect every board to crossboard as much as possible and people taking it gladly as a break from daily console wars and wojak posting.
>>
File: 1489425849864.jpg (43KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1489425849864.jpg
43KB, 650x650px
>>9802712
>I'm not him
>>
Brotherhood was better
eat shit
>>
>preferring fan fiction to the faithful adaptation

Fucking hell /v/ has shit taste.
>>
Original is better.

And the movie was a really nice finale.

The homunculi were better, since their birth was tied in better with the heroes.

Hohenheim and Dante being alchemical vampires was a neat concept
>>
>>9802723
>muh fanfiction is inherently bad

Wanna know how I know you're under 18?
>>
>>9802723
>interpretation has no place in art!
>>
What are some video games where the book it is based on is better than any other medium?
>>
File: 1419114521540.png (1MB, 513x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1419114521540.png
1MB, 513x1117px
>mfw someone implies FMA is better than Brotherhood

Contrarianism at its absolute peak. There is not a single thing that the original does better. Not one. I get if you like the original, I do. I'm not saying it's bad. But in comparison, Brotherhood is just better in every conceivable way. This is fact.

>Story
>Animation
>Pacing
>Homunculi
>Character development
>World building
>Themes
>Voice work
>Endings

Just try and debate this.
>>
>>9802725
Go pull one one, just one, good fanfic from fanfiction.net, then, and we'll tell you if you're underaged or not
>>
>>9802711
But Bradley is in Brotherhood as well and he's pretty much the exact same character, just with a name change and even more power.
>>
>>9802723
Why can't we like both
>>
>>9802728
>There is not a single thing that the original does better.
The soundtrack was better desu
>>
>>9802728

>voice acting

Alphonse alone destroys that argument
>>
JRPG plots are not good /v/. The original before Scar dies is better. Sorry.
>>
File: Sloth.jpg (17KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sloth.jpg
17KB, 640x480px
>>9802683
>Implying

The only thing better about the original is we got to see more of Ed's Milf of a mom and even then she was a lame homunculus
>>
I LIKED THE ORIGINAL MOAr CUz it WAS PART OF MY CHILDEN HOODS!!
>>
>>9802725

>liking fan fiction of any kind

Wanna know how I know you're a /v/irgin neckbeard?
>>
>>9802731
Same reason console wars are still a thing. One HAS to be objectively better than the other, as opposed to both having their merits and liking one or the other based on personal taste.
>>
>>9802694
Original's ending is fucking retarded
>>
>>9802728
Also the first few episodes were better paced in OG
The beginning of Brotherhood was rushed as fuck
>>
>>9802733

female va's for small boys? that gets me going son
>>
>>9802728
The original shits all over Brotherhood's first half, people actually care about Hughes in that one.
>B-But it had to be rushed
Still makes it worse regardless.
>>
>>9802728
I liked both and I give props to the original team for trying to give an ending rather than leaving on a cliffhanger or on a sol meaningless episode. But brotherhood actually trying to adapt the manga story takes the cake
>>
>>9802711
The manga ended pretty poorly desu. It turned into a pretty generic shounen by the end where the protagonists beat the big bad "God" through the power of GUTS AND DETERMINATION. I really liked 2003 better because the story stayed pretty grounded and had consequences for the main characters - not everything can end on a happy note through sheer willpower alone.

The only thing holding 2003 back imo is how it kind fucked up with the laws of alchemy, but that may have been a point since IIRC it was a plot point with the brothers realizing that said laws were bullshit anyways.
>>
>>9802694
Brotherhood is the Reddit version, Original is the 4chan version desu.
>>
The relationship the brothers had with their teacher was better in the original and I liked the episodes that focused on their training on the island. It was interesting.
>>
>>9802735
thats retarded
>>
File: 1447798072566.jpg (12KB, 344x259px) Image search: [Google]
1447798072566.jpg
12KB, 344x259px
I never really bothered watching anymore of Brotherhood after they fucked up the pacing of the first episode(s?) with Nina and Shao Tucker.
Is it really better than the original anime?
>>
>>9802728
>There is not a single thing that the original does better
Soundtrack and the first half are widely considered to be above and beyond BH actually.
>>
>>9802728
>Character development
yeah no, the homonculi had actual backstories to them and their main traits were a lot more subtle, in Brotherhood they were literally just the seven deadly sins personified
>>
File: 1422920452675.png (46KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1422920452675.png
46KB, 1024x1024px
I challenge any FMAbabby to find a single scene that is even 1/10th as good as a single second of any of these fight scenes

https://youtu.be/0FL6jgIzxMI?t=65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyiEI12Ahcc
https://youtu.be/gE_b272oT_Q?t=165
>>
>>9802684
Why does canon matter? Is there going to be a full metal extended universe? Why the fuck does it matter? You know how you’re supposed to enjoy something based on its own merits? Why care that there’s something before it or after it? Canon is not a fucking element of quality, Jesus fuck I don’t even like the original but bringing up canon is such a pissy little nothing comment.
>>
File: 6z8g3x2cm1rn8uxqo1_400.jpg (82KB, 358x310px) Image search: [Google]
6z8g3x2cm1rn8uxqo1_400.jpg
82KB, 358x310px
>>9802744
>the story stayed pretty grounded
>>
>>9802737
where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>9802683
I LITERALLY just started watching this and just finished episode 3. Everywhere I looked it said Brotherhood is better so I'm watching it.
>>
>>9802694
>Brotherhood has a good ending!
How did Al make a deal with Truth after Father ate him? Seems like a huge gaping plot hole for the sake of a happy ending to me.
>>
Brotherhood's openings were GOAT
>>
>>9802683
>implying fma:b is a remake of the original anime
What did he meme by this?
>>
File: 1471813702106.gif (3MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471813702106.gif
3MB, 400x400px
>>9802683
Wait, there are people that unironically think that the original FMA anime was better than brotherhood?
>>
>>9802748
>>9802755
Push past the first few episodes, the last 1/3rd is one of the best last arcs of an anime I've ever seen
>>
>>9802733
Considering he was like 12 Al's dub VA for the original show did an amazing job.
>>
>>9802728
let's do this thing.

>Story
It's definitely a more faithful adaptation, yes, but the stories are so radically different once they diverge that whichever you consider 'better' comes down entirely to personal preference. I'll always prefer the darker tone and character focus of 03 myself. Brotherhood had a better Mustang and Scar though.

>Animation
If you mean the art direction then sure. Brotherhood looks better in stills. The animation itself isn't particularly better or worse in either.

>Pacing
This is more a product of what 03 had to be; the options were either filler or strange hits to pacing as the plot became its own thing. I think Brotherhood wins out on this one because it was a more proper adaptation but that's not to say that 03 did poorly.

>Homunculi
nah

>Character development
03 is far more character focused and character driven, doubly so once it started doing its own thing. To say that Brotherhood did anything interesting here is to discredit some half the series worth of episodes of entirely original writing and character growth that showed more than Brotherhood could have ever tried to.

>Worldbuilding
Both are fine in this regard. I think generally Brotherhood was more story focused so it had some good stuff, but 03's look at the characters actually inhabiting the world are legit as fuck. Basically, do you prefer larger scale worldbuilding, or smaller scale?

>Themes
Entirely subjective.

>Voice work
Both are fantastic in the original Japanese dub, but 03 has a better English dub. It's still arguably one of the best in the entire medium. Eat a dick if you think otherwise.

>Endings
This all just comes back to one being a full adaptation and one being forced to become its own thing. The 03 ending hits a lot harder, but Brotherhood generally makes more sense and offers much more closure. The fact that 03 needed a shitty movie to try and tie up some loose ends is definitely a detriment.

There, I tried to debate this.
>>
>>9802755
You need to start with the original, it has better pacing and covers the first half MUCH better, feel free to start brotherhood after the original things begin in the first series, just look online.
>>
>>9802751
>Chibi kawaii loli flying around and beating hordes of ravenous monsters

Yeah, masterpiece
>>
>>9802759
they like the edge
>>
>>9802744
>stayed grounded
>nonsensical universe hopping
>set in the ""real world""" but still has dumb shit like occult nazis and Ed's steam cyborg arm
>robot Archer
>>
>>9802756
>How did Al make a deal with Truth after Father ate him?

Father didn't eat him, Al transmuted himself so that he could meet Trruth and make the deal.
>>
>>9802728
Eh I think the homunculi were better in the original even if they didn't fit their naming. They felt more human there, had actual nuance to their characters being abominations born from once-humans, and their character arcs tied in pretty nicely into the themes of the anime (not everything is black and white).

In contrast the one thing I hated about BH was how all the homunculi were nothing more than assholes with a superiority complex against humans that echo the Nietzsche philosophy of father. They were all boring as fuck and were one dimensional villains.
>>
Original is good but Bradley made Brotherhood so much better
>>
>>9802751
Is the actual manga just some generic shounenshit, then? That's sad, really had a high opinion of FMA.
>>
>>9802764
You're retarded, my dude, the complexity of the animation of that and Envy transforming is astounding. I know you're trying to make some vain point, but really go back and watch it.
>>
File: Maes,-Elicia-chan-, ep1.jpg (68KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Maes,-Elicia-chan-, ep1.jpg
68KB, 1366x768px
You can like a lot of things better about Brotherhood. But the original turned Maes Hughes into an icon of the medium.

If it were up to Brotherhood you'd never know who this character was.
>>
>>9802685
As opposed to the original's garbled mess?
>>
>>9802767
>Father didn't eat him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U7bLrDAaDot=07m01s
>>
File: 1-10.jpg (38KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1-10.jpg
38KB, 300x300px
>>9802744
>the story stayed pretty grounded

The ending had Ed go through a magical gate and end up in an alternate dimension that was WW2-era Earth where he had to have a wizard battle with the Thule society.
>>
>>9802683
I wish brotherhood just had the tone of the original, the tension break moments in shows like soul eater and fmab make it really hard to get invested into.
There is a reason good films keep this thing together called "suspension of disbelief", it works.
>>
File: gif.gif (250KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
gif.gif
250KB, 250x188px
>>9802751
this just goes on to show that if you like stale, cliche modern animations you'll love brotherhood.

If you prefer Western cartoon like a normal, balanced person who wasn't bullied in his teen years and shit himself off from his own culture as a result, you'll be drawn to 2003 instead.
>>
>>9802744
>where the protagonists beat the big bad "God" through the power of GUTS AND DETERMINATION.
Actually it was because their dad set up a counter years in the making that they even had a shot
>>
>>9802753
Aside from Nazis, how was it not grounded? It didn't devolve into some guy becoming or a God and everyone fistfighting him.

>>9802766
I should've added the caveat of not counting Shambala I guess. Without the movie, I thought the anime ended perfectly. It even gave a decent and chilling explanation for where all the bullshit energy is needed for alchemy comes from. Not any worse than
>lol tectonic plates xDD

Although I will admit the movie brought us a GOAT song: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dxtsy_fullmetal-alchemist-the-movie-conqueror-of-shamballa-op-link-by-l-arc-en-ciel_music
>>
>>9802683
nice bait faggot
>>
>>9802777
If you're gonna bait, you could try a little harder
>>
>>9802728
>There is not a single thing that the original does better.

It does the Nina chimera scene better, but that's about it.
>>
File: 1476320737973.jpg (91KB, 493x639px) Image search: [Google]
1476320737973.jpg
91KB, 493x639px
>>9802683
>>
I remember watching the original and then a few years later reading the plot to the manga on Wikipedia and assuming that there was no way that brotherhood could possibly be as good.

Then I actually watched brotherhood after a few years of insulting it without actually having seen it, and I was fucking blown away. The first 11 or so episodes that are just a speed retelling of the first half of the manga are pretty fucking rushed and awful. Everything after that though was absolutely incredible. Easily one of the best anime ever made, and my favorite Shounen by a long shot, followed by Hunter X Hunter.
>>
>>9802735
The Last Airbender guys actually claimed they didn't know about Sloth and Mustang until after making Avatar. Yeah right.
>>
>>9802683
Pic unrelated
>>
>>9802683
>FMA:B
>shounen trash
>FMA
>edgy shounen trash
There, I summed it up for you.
>>
File: Hunterxhunter.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Hunterxhunter.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
>>9802705
Isn't this garbage happening to all anime sooner or later? There's a reason people are calling anime the worst kind of art out there. It's so uninspired and fucking bland, especially nowadays.
>>
>>9802770
I mean, yeah, but to be fair, it's a really really really really good shounen
>>
>>9802774
I didn't know even anime had speed readers.
>>
>>9802683
love this serie so much both the fma and brotherhood. is there any anime else that gives of the same vibe?
>>
File: 43c.png (727KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
43c.png
727KB, 800x800px
>>9802771
>my dude
>>
>>9802787
>FMA
>edgy
Is this some new meme? Where does this come from? It's not any edgier than Brotherhood.
>>
>>9802762
Someone with a good opinion on /v/ for once.
>>
File: 1414378445741.jpg (37KB, 599x483px) Image search: [Google]
1414378445741.jpg
37KB, 599x483px
>>9802792
>Hurr Durr
>>
2003 is worse simply because that ending was a letdown. There was no final fight against the big bad behind the curtain, nothing. Although I'll always prefer it over Brotherhood because muh nostalgia.
>>
File: 1357064563835.jpg (236KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1357064563835.jpg
236KB, 640x480px
2003 had a better OST by far
brotherhood had more details on the world and international issues. I also felt it handled the business with scar a bit better
03 had more hard hitting moments while brotherhood felt more cartoony. and while that isn't always a bad thing it could have done well with more consequences to stupid character actions.
Also the homunculi were miles better in the original
>>
>>9802785
What
>>
>>9802790
Embarrassing. You could just admit you were wrong and move on, but no you have to save face on an anonymous forum for some reason.
>>
>>9802797
You're right. They were miles better in the manga.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf8hLlg85zA

>that fucking wait between seasons on Adult Swim
>>
>>9802772
This might be the only valid criticism towards brotherhood. The rest is shitposting
>>
File: fj.jpg (171KB, 1162x459px) Image search: [Google]
fj.jpg
171KB, 1162x459px
>they made one last episode of flapjack in flash and its all about whale dicks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATLQEqLTf0
>>
File: 1437277509128.jpg (102KB, 336x506px) Image search: [Google]
1437277509128.jpg
102KB, 336x506px
>>9802801
>mfw seeing this fight for the first time as a kid
2003 did some pretty magical things. It's a shame they didn't add more fights because those were definitely the highlight of the anime.
>>
File: 1495909483395.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1495909483395.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>9802788
My friend told me to watch the 2011 version of HunterXHunter, so I watched the first three episodes of the ´99 version along with the newer one.

Holy fuck, the older version completely blew away the remake. They forgot so many important details in the remake that I couldn't do anything else but dismiss it. What the fuck were the slant eyes thinking?
>>
>>9802793
I would say fma was meant to be more of a story about tragedy while brotherhood was more adventurous like the manga.
>>
>>9802705
>fma 2003 was my first shounen
>>
2003 > Brotherhood
>>
>>9802694
Brotherhood is better overall but FMA has some highlights.

The first few episodes of FMA are really good. And I think the overall animation quality is a bit better.
>>
>>9802772

imo the best way to watch is original anime up until Hughes dies, then switch to Brotherhood.
>>
File: Psiren.jpg (107KB, 760x576px) Image search: [Google]
Psiren.jpg
107KB, 760x576px
I liked Brotherhood more but 03 had the best girl.
>>
>>9802794
You flatter me.
>>
>>9802801

Oh my fucking god, I totally fucking forgot about this until now. I remember that long wait, and that commercial.

God damn, that feel when you remember something that you forgot about and it all comes rushing back to you at the same time. What a feeling.
>>
File: ComeHereLookAtThisGuy.webm (233KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ComeHereLookAtThisGuy.webm
233KB, 320x240px
>>9802777
>normal, balanced person
>watching cartoons at all
>>
>>9802799
Embarrassing. You could just admit you're a speed reader and move on, but no you have to save face on an chinese moving pictures forum for some reason.

Seriously though you're an idiot. Everyone had their own truth in FMA. There is no god; god was a metaphor.
>>
>>9802811
After watching a shitload of anime adaptations I can confirm FMA is the only one that actually pulls off decent original content.
>>
>>9802813
way better than drugs imo
>>
>>9802815
>God is a metaphor
>Father gets a huge power boost, enough to create a miniature sun, after absorbing a metaphor
Yeah okay kid. I can see why you like Brotherhood better now. It all makes sense.
>>
File: 2.jpg (375KB, 546x1990px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
375KB, 546x1990px
>>9802784
>The first 11 or so episodes that are just a speed retelling of the first half of the manga are pretty fucking rushed and awful.
Yeah, I get that they were going into it expecting most people to have already watched the first series, but they really should've just taken the time to redo it properly.
It's not like FMA was some no-name property running on no budget; they could've easily afforded another ~12 episodes to do things right.
>>
At the very least 2003 had better openings and ending songs.
>>
>>9802817

Oh, for fucking sure. It's just a shame that it happens so rarely in one's life.
>>
File: 1292038583873.jpg (70KB, 358x268px) Image search: [Google]
1292038583873.jpg
70KB, 358x268px
Brotherhood is better but 03 is worth purely for photoshopping Ed into things.
>>
Brotherhood have a better ending and more satisfying final combat,

People should stop bitching about the first part been rushed because brotherhood was made for the fans who already watched the 2003
>>
>>9802815
Not even him but stop posting, christ.
>>
>>9802803
don't shill your own videos, man, it's really desperate
>>
>>9802819

at that point, FMA was old hat, there was better anime being released and probably just wanted to practice animating fight scenes
>>
As someone who used to also sat the 2003 version was better, I rewatched it last year and it does not hold up. The added characters feel like fanfiction and many character arcs feel a lot less natural compared to the original
>>9802693
While I agree that people give the 2011 version too much flack it does ruin Kite's character and also the 1999 York New City arc is pure kino
>>
I always sum up the difference between FMA03 and FMAB as '03 focusing on the science aspects of Alchemy, while Brotherhood focuses on the fantasy aspects of alchemy.

'03 ends up with a grittier tone because of this. The Elric Brothers have to work within the confines of the laws of their universe, which doesn't end up being kind to them. In Brotherhood, you get things like the final fight with Father, where it becomes more of a typical shonen with power level stuff. The show's differeing uses of the Philosopher's Stone is a good example of how they go about tackling their respective stories.

To bring it back to /v/, think of it like Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. One is based on puzzles, the other is based on action. Both are good, and people have differing opinions on which is better depending on their tastes.
>>
>>9802820
Undo and Rewrite are great but all of Brotherhood's openings are GOAT
>>
File: steenee luluco.png (136KB, 483x444px) Image search: [Google]
steenee luluco.png
136KB, 483x444px
They're vastly different in plot, conflict, and resolution. They share little except the beginning and some character designs.
They're barely comparable if at all, they're two completely different standalone stories.

To answer the non-/a/ related question, many lament the gen 3 remakes of Pokemon to be inferior to Emerald (which they technically were not a remake of but are viewed by many to be).
>>
File: myman.gif (478KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
myman.gif
478KB, 500x281px
I like the tone they were trying to go for in 2003 but they clearly had no idea what they were doing and wrote themselves into a corner really fast since their source material wasn't finished.

what I DO like is how argument devolves into shitposting whenever the series is even mentioned in passing.
All I care about is that my main man Armstrong is fantastic in any and all versions of the story.
>>
>>9802823
It's matter of ''you can't have your cake and eat it too'', people can't claim Brotherhood in every way while dismissing it's poor first half as a consequence of the first show. Fact is both are great and mandatory for anyone interested in the series, picking one over the other exclusively is retarded.
>>
>>9802828
>'03 ends up with a grittier tone because of this. The Elric Brothers have to work within the confines of the laws of their universe, which doesn't end up being kind to them.
The funny thing is that the big reveal of the anime was that the laws were bullshit anyways and powered by human souls.
>>
03 had a terrible movie. what the fuck was that even?
>>
File: 1484852570306.jpg (250KB, 890x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1484852570306.jpg
250KB, 890x1186px
>>9802684
Hyperdimension Neptunia
kinda
>>
>>9802683
>>9802684
Duality of man
>>
>>9802828
'03 would have been so much better without the garbage ending and would perfectly with what you're saying if the last episode and movie just didn't happen.
>>
>>9802830

This is try, but people will always argue about them simply because one took from the original manga and one didn't.

Humans are pathetic.
>>
>>9802837
Last episode was fine imo. It was the movie that tried to explain too much.
>>
>>9802833
It's powered by tectonic plate movements in the manga, isn't it?
And the chinese equivalent is powered by dragon magic or some shit.
I liked how in the manga the final solution was to combine the east and west alchemies.
>>
>tfw we will never get a good FMA fighting game
>>
>>9802823
This,and let's not forget that 2003's story falls apart when it stops following the manga and the alchemy is inconsistent as fuck thanks to the earlier fillers
Most of 2003fags are nostalgiafags so they don't remember any of this
>>
File: 1494996105113.jpg (45KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1494996105113.jpg
45KB, 540x540px
>>9802821
>>9802817
Getting hit with nostalgia like that is some powerful shit. There's times where I'm simply glad I know what that's like because of my shit childhood.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (27KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
27KB, 600x750px
>>9802838
>humans are pathetic
spotted the 03 fanboy
>>
>>9802839
It really goes against the gritty, grounded style the rest of the series had, and you could tell that the writers threw the idea out there as a joke but nobody in the room had anything better.
>>
>>9802838
are you a homunculus
>>
>>9802844
>not getting envy's quote which is consistent with both versions
You shitposters throw your lives away for nothing
>>
>>9802815
>god was a metaphor.
Please explain to me anything that implied there was not really an omnipresent sentience force, and that it was just all in their minds.
>>
I've been rewatching the original series and it holds up surprisingly well animation-wise for an early digital anime.

>>9802727
Stalker
>>
>>9802797
Soundtrack is the one thing I'll agree on
Music in Brotherhood was oddly, pretty bad and dissonant. I've never gone and listened to either out of context but 03's didn't stick out in a negative way.

The manga is certainly better than either anime but Brotherhood was at least faithful and well produced. Really don't like the story or tone of 03.
>>
>>9802844
>The original is edg-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZa5cuMO5ikt=03m48s
>>
>>9802820
Golden Time Lover is GOAT though
>>
>>9802819
that kind of makes me want to try watching the '03 anime up to when it starts being "monster of the week" adventures and then just switch to brotherhood after they leave resembool
>>
File: 1441315111133.jpg (18KB, 639x851px) Image search: [Google]
1441315111133.jpg
18KB, 639x851px
>>9802845
>It really goes against the gritty, grounded style the rest of the series had
Did it? IIRC Al died, Rose got cucked, Dante got eaten by Gluttony trying to escape, Ed sacrificed himself to bring Al back learning more about Truth in the process, and Al lost all of his defining memories of the past 3 years with Ed being stranded in earth with a poorly functioning synthetic arm.

As far as I'm concerned the anime ending fit perfectly with the tone and themes that were built up throughout the course of its run. The heroes barely survive and the big bad was defeated (not entirely because of them), but there's a strong ray of hope underneath all that suffering and bitterness - a hope born from the experiences the characters have went through.
>>
>>9802755
ok I just finished episode 4 and that was pretty fucked up
>>
Reminder Bradley's VA died. R.I.P mein Fuhrer ;_;
>>
>>9802850
>Music in Brotherhood was oddly, pretty bad and dissonant
nigger what are you on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWcIZWmXfk&ab_channel=wd0

I like the music in both, just to be clear
>>
>>9802815
>There is no god; god was a metaphor.
This is literally wrong. I'm almost sure you're falseflagging to give BH fags a bad name.
>>
>>9802833
>>9802837
>>9802839

Forgive me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, I haven't seen '03 in quite some time. Pretty sure they went with the idea that equivalent exchange operated at a greater level than just their one universe, which explains doing things that appear to break the laws.

It's kinda like how people try to explain things like entropy and energy conservation on Earth and forget we're not a closed system, causing math to not add up. In this case, you have Alchemists performing acts they shouldn't be able to, but the majority of people in FMA didn't realize their system is bigger than they thought.

...You can see why FMA '03 would appeal to me.
>>
>>9802854
I mean specifically the PARALLEL UNIVERSE LEL ending.
It just jumps into absurd fantasy for no reason.
It just should have ended with Ed dying.
>>
>>9802739
>Original's ending is fucking retarded

It is. But to their credit as retarded as the original ending was, at least was built around the fucking theme of the show, equivalent fucking exchange. That was the entire message of the series, that you simply can't get around paying the price no matter how hard you want to do so. And then the movie came and ruined even that, but that's a different matter.

Meanwhile the manga and Brotherhood completely shat the bed with what was basically a power of friendship ending. It was not built on learning a lesson, it had nothing to do with character development. If at any point during the series Ed was offered the chance to restore Al in exchange for his ability to use alchemy, he would have gone for it in a heartbeat. Because they have went through and seen much worse sacrifices than that.

I don't mind a happy ending. Bur the shounen fight ending coupled with a solution that was just too fucking easy feels even more disappointing than lolnazigermany.
>>
>>9802820
>Kesenai Tsumi
>Ready Steady Go

Can't argue with that
>>
>>9802820
the first fma op is fucking nostalgia orgasm
>>
Fuck this thread,are the PS2's FMA's any good?
>>
>>9802683
>>9802684
Story and artstyle was better in FMA
Some characters like >>9802688 (Good examples) look helluwalot cooler in FMABH

Music is good on both ends, but the constant "muh manga comedy art style" ruins FMABH
The first 8 episodes is a damn mess in FMABH
Pacing and tone is better in FMA.
FMABH is a series that is good for first timers and very good for FMA(Manga) readers, but FMA(03') is awesome for first timers, while purists of FMA(Manga) hate it for doing it's own story.
>>
>>9802861
>it had nothing to do with character development
Except it absolutely did.
The entire series was built on the bonds of humans as a central theme.
>>
>>9802859
No you're correct. A big question that was oddly never really brought up is
>Where does the energy needed to perform a transmutation come from?

The question begins to get foreshadowed heavily halfway through the anime and when Ed/Al learn of it in the final episodes, it shatters their entire world views. In the last two episodes (I think) the opening narration changes from Al mindlessly talking about the laws of alchemy as a metaphor for life to admitting they don't know jack shit and were too naive.
>>
File: envy.jpg (271KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
envy.jpg
271KB, 1280x720px
>>9802844
Really now?
>>
File: f2c964dfe91caa7c6e418d37aa79fa65.jpg (402KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
f2c964dfe91caa7c6e418d37aa79fa65.jpg
402KB, 1024x819px
>>9802694
I stopped liking Brotherhood when it had herds of characters fighting each other. They did that same shit in Kill la Kill. Makes any character fucking dull. Though a lot of the fights are pretty decent. Wrath/Bradley is in it more too.

The original can age pretty poorly since some of the characters are totally different from the original. Tone is more cynical too. Ending movie is pretty bad.

I love how Envy had a bigger role because of Trapfags.
>>
>>9802818
>The entire last 10 episodes are huge crowds of people shooting, slashing, and punching homunculus and Father like a bunch of videogame bossfights
>the Philospher's Stone becomes a goddamn combat powerup
>the homunculus have a different origin that makes them Father's personality henchmen and doesn't actually tie into the themes or ideas of alchemy and the story
I will never understand what people see in Brotherhood.
>>
>>9802797
I personally prefer Brotherhood's ost, because it's really similar to Victory Gundam's, as they had the same composer. I do also like 03's, as it was composed by a dude who worked on Godzilla movies too.
>>
>>9802860
Like I said the parallel universe thing didn't bug me at all. It's not really anymore stupid than magic dragons and tectonic movements.

As far as I'm concerned the anime ended perfectly - it's the movie that shat all over it.
>>
>>9802864
OVER HERE AL
>>
welcome to the trash can boys
>>
>>9802870
I hated that too. The original anime gave them a lot more to work with.
>>
03 Lust > Brotherhood Lust
Brotherhood Envy > 03 Envy
Brotherhood Gluttony > 03 Gluttony
Brotherhood Greed > 03 Greed
03 Sloth > Brotherhood Sloth
Brotherhood Wrath > 03 Wrath
03 Pride > Brotherhood Pride
>>
WE DID IT BOIZ, SHADOW REALM SHITPOSTING
>>
>Mods leave up waifufaggotry threads, hentai threads, and console war threads
>Moves this to trash

Fucking hiro.
>>
>>9803173

where it belongs faggot
>>
>>9803122
but they squandered it and really kept them as sins for no reason.
In BH it's father purifying himself to be closer to god
>>
>>9802864
Played the second one, whatever the fuck its title was. It was alright. Very generic JRPG style, and I wasn't really impressed with the bossfights. But it's okay,
>>
>>9803132
03 Lust = Brotherhood Lust (lust is always amazing, always)
Brotherhood Envy < 03 Envy
Brotherhood Gluttony > 03 Gluttony
Brotherhood Greed ? 03 Greed (who cares greed sucks lel)
03 Sloth > Brotherhood Sloth
Brotherhood Wrath > 03 Wrath
03 Pride > Brotherhood Pride

FITE ME
>>
I like the original because it has more of best girl

Also there is not nearly enough porn of FMA's semen demons, fujos are cancer
>>
>>9803228
No need, I agree with everything.
>>
>>9803228
I mean it's not like we disagreed on much. I don't remember much about 03 Envy, Lust was barely in Brotherhood and Ling Greed is best Greed
>>
File: 1474938632321.gif (2MB, 264x150px) Image search: [Google]
1474938632321.gif
2MB, 264x150px
>>9803196
>kept them as sins for no reason
This really bugs me. Does it mean that only 7 people can perform human transmutation? Can someone else do it again if one or more of the homunculi die?
At least in Brotherhood there's a reason behind them being the 7 sins.
>>
>>9803239
Sciezka was SOOO much better in FMA 2003.
Her face was so cute and she wasn't so annoying as she is in Brotherhood.

Same with Rose being delicious brown.
>>
>>9803262
Envy was a [spoiler]3rd Elric brother with daddy issues who crossdresses, oh and he became a dragon for no reason. [/spoiler]

Probably many people's first trap
>>
>>9803132
03 Lust = Brotherhood Lust
03 Envy > Brotherhood Envy (who never really got a chance to shine, he was a pathetic piece of shit from start to finish)
03 Gluttony = Brotherhood Gluttony
03 Sloth >>>>> Brotherhood Sloth
03 Wrath <<<<< Brotherhood Wrath
03 Pride (lol who cares, just end it already) < Brotherhood Pride
>>
>>9802771
They're post 2000 recycled japanimu animations applied to a setting where it doesnt fit at all.

2003 was one of the last classic anime, drawing inspiration from American cartoons, and it shows.
>>
>>9803309
>Does it mean that only 7 people can perform human transmutation?

Nah, of course not. They were deliberately created by Dante, it wasn't something that always happens as a consequence of human transmutation.
>>
>>9803196
They lose the meaning of their names but they gain a meaningful purpose for why they exist. The BH homunculus have a "reason" in the story for why they were created but they don't have a narrative purpose that supports the storyline. A lot of the reason they exist in Brotherhood is just so there are enough enemy agents around to do all the bad things.
>>
>>9803309
I think Dante finds them.

Also there were more apparently, the first Lust was mentioned a few times. Also Dante did most of them too.
>>
File: 01.jpg (328KB, 1057x1524px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
328KB, 1057x1524px
Well since we're in /trash/ might as well
>>
File: 02.jpg (372KB, 1054x1507px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
372KB, 1054x1507px
>>9803574
>>
File: 03.jpg (354KB, 1058x1508px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
354KB, 1058x1508px
>>9803591
>>
File: 04.jpg (329KB, 1057x1512px) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
329KB, 1057x1512px
>>9803601
>>
File: 05.jpg (321KB, 1057x1503px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
321KB, 1057x1503px
>>9803612
>>
File: 06.jpg (324KB, 1055x1512px) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
324KB, 1055x1512px
>>9803629
>>
File: 07.jpg (332KB, 1057x1513px) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
332KB, 1057x1513px
>>9803640
>>
File: 08.jpg (332KB, 1056x1514px) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
332KB, 1056x1514px
>>9803650
>>
File: 09.jpg (309KB, 1057x1507px) Image search: [Google]
09.jpg
309KB, 1057x1507px
>>9803659
>>
File: 10.jpg (305KB, 1055x1512px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
305KB, 1055x1512px
>>9803678
>>
File: 11.jpg (431KB, 1056x1510px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
431KB, 1056x1510px
>>9803696
>>
File: 12.jpg (375KB, 1055x1518px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
375KB, 1055x1518px
>>9803708
fin
>>
>>9803708
>Ed being a gentleman above a dick with legs
Good ending.
>>
File: 1474950463333.gif (797KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1474950463333.gif
797KB, 500x282px
>we will never get another FMA vidya
>>
>>9803903
How has there not been another after Brotherhood?

I remember the first anime having plenty
>>
File: 1359259526756.jpg (416KB, 729x900px) Image search: [Google]
1359259526756.jpg
416KB, 729x900px
>>9803978
There were a couple on the Wii, DS, and PSP while it aired, just nothing since. Not even a shitty mobile game to play on the crapper.
>>
File: ck.png (286KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
ck.png
286KB, 500x498px
>>9802715
>>
>>9802693
god damn it I came to /trash/ to escape /a/

also 2011 did nothing wrong
>>
>>9802723
>/v/
And now I see why this thread is in trash.
>>
>>9802805
>They forgot so many important details in the remake that I couldn't do anything else but dismiss it.

most of this was added and was absent in the manga. 99 ver seems deeper at first because it treats the story with an emotional bishonen/shoujo attitude, but the manga and newer anime ultimately tell a more original story.

They are both good but '99 would be drastically inconsistent with the chimera ant arc and is ultimately worthwhile to the exclusion of the manga rather than as an adaptation of it.
>>
File: 1329977003786.jpg (15KB, 231x200px) Image search: [Google]
1329977003786.jpg
15KB, 231x200px
>>9803574
>>9803708
>tfw this is canon in the 2003 version
>>
>>9803903
>no new FMA media period
IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR
>>
Dante or Father?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv0cs2QPjfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7mKTI6Xww
>>
>>9804590
I didn't like either.
>>
>>9804590
_ ____ __ ____ Dante!
>>
>tfw the movie looks like shit

>>9804590
Dante is a qt
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihc964sRt8M

Blonde Asians look weird.
>>
>>9802776
this
>>
>>9802776
Yeah the chibi comedy inserts completely ruined it for me. I know they were in the manga but at least there they weren't in your face.
>>
>>9802830
this
Arguing about this is silly.
>>
Remake
>>
>>9804376
>Rose getting raped by central forces

Yeah that shit fucked me up more than Nina actually
>>
>>9811215
Yeah the original did that a lot better
>>
Reboots are cancer
>>
Heartgold
>>
Remake
>>
It's always terrible
>>
>>9802683
bump
>>
>>
All
>>
>>9802683
BONES cannot write endings. Why would people prefer that to the actual non clusterfuck?
>>
Don't bother
>>
TMNT
>>
>>9802729
Bad Mondays?
>>
Spiderman
>>
>>9802683
nice b8
Thread posts: 257
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.