[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What specifically made this man a folklore hero? Was it his journey

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

What specifically made this man a folklore hero? Was it his journey towards Alaska, or his sheer optimism of living away from society?
>>
File: 1495653926345.gif (66KB, 402x601px) Image search: [Google]
1495653926345.gif
66KB, 402x601px
>>11513750

It was multiple things, himself having troubling feeling as though he doesn't fit into society anywhere, being generally unhappy with modern life, having an unrealistic fantasy about off the grid living and isolationism, overestimating himself and maybe to an extent over-valuing himself in the grand scheme of things and society. I would assume most people can relate to, which is a push away from the craziness of modern life and a yearning for a more meaningful, self-understanding, explorative, simple, uncomplicated life, which of course ultimately ended in tragedy, because he was a city boy with big dreams and little if any real life experiences.

I'd assume it clicked especially with the hipsters and millennials because it was a push away from traditionalism and mainstream ideas about life and happiness and success with a push back alternative to the hippy movement (which failed). But honestly, the guy had it made, rich parents, could have gone off to a good school, made a fortune and THEN trek around the woods after he retires early, lets assume in his late 30's to early 40's. Though personally, I think his self-intentions were a little noble, if not misguided, delusional and self-centered. I would even hint he might have been mentally ill on some level, and not just depression wise.
>>
>>11514253
Do you think that McCandless would have had the same kind of impact worldwide about the whole "Trail movement" had he not died in the early 90s but more in the early 2000's? Cause the he knew that he lived extremely in denial to the point of extremes, but would you think it would have mellowed out and realized that living in the frontier was not a good idea?
>>
Literally who
>>
ok, where the fuck was this posted originally and what janitor moved this to /trash/?
>>
>>11517148
To be honest, I made this thread in /trash/, to avoid the process of having janitors move it from /out/, /his/, or /adv/.
>>
Isnt this that dumbass that parked his car in a flood zone and went into the wilderness completely unprepared, and then died from eating spoiled peanuts?
>>
>>11517244
Tl;dr: yes

He died of starvation, he lived in an Alaskan passenger bus, left his datsun outside in the desert, and canoed down the Colorado
>>
>>11517278
God I remember learning about that guy in 11th grade, I and most of my class thought the hardships he faced were due to his own unpreparedness. Hated that unit because we watched a guy in the Arctic try to kill his dog for warmth and food.
>>
>>11517476
Heh, John London's: To Build a Fire. Read that the other day.
>>
>>11517500
Jack***
God damn me
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.