[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Didn't see a thread this would slot into, so here goes...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 16535019090_99c2e32d8c_o.jpg (214KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
16535019090_99c2e32d8c_o.jpg
214KB, 1067x1600px
Didn't see a thread this would slot into, so here goes...

I have about £200 burning a hole in my pocket, /toy/. I want to get something with engineering that's going blow my mind sideways out of my arsehole. Please recommend anything you think would fit the bill. Can be from any company, any property, it just has to have amazing engineering.

Pic related, something I was considering.
>>
Buy the Gundam
>>
>>6474452
The Robot Damashii Generall
>>
If you're into Transformers then get either MP01 or MP04 if you're lucky enough to find one under 200 quids.
>>
>>6474606
Afraid to say I'm not, really. I'd considered the new Diaclone stuff from Takara but while it looks fun I can't get past the slightly cheap look of the figures, it's too much like the old Manta Force stuff I had as a kid that cost pennies.

Here's some things I already own:

>Robot Damashii figures
>Sentinel Re:Edit and Armorize Iron Man figures
>Hot Toys Iron Man figures, Robocop, Raiden and others
>Star Wars, Kinnikuman, Street Fighter, and other SHF
>Kamen Rider W SIC
>1000toys synthetic humans
>Assorted ThreeA robots

Looking for something that's more overtly mechanical and intricate if it exists. Doesn't matter if it's big or small.
>>
File: 20869684813_c8cce092d1_z.jpg (94KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
20869684813_c8cce092d1_z.jpg
94KB, 640x360px
>>6474624
How about the Riobot Sahelanthropus?
>>
>>6474624
https://hlj.com/product/ACA82133

I think you'd be interested in something like an Arcadia or Yamato, Macross Valkyrie. Highly technical figures, with incredibly engineered parts and transformations. Make masterpiece Transformers look like shit.
>>
File: FRDRIFT.jpg (163KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
FRDRIFT.jpg
163KB, 2048x1365px
Are you a big enough moneybags to drop the dollarydoos on a second string character from a franchise you don't even care about?
>>
>>6474629
Riobot Anubis is cooler tho

>>6474452
Consider the PG Unicorn gunpla
>>
>>6474606
I have no opinion on transformers whatsoever, but don't fall for the "diecast=guaranteed quality" meme OP.
>>
>>6475559
I'd personally reccomend the PG strike from an engineering stand point, if you were going for a mod that is. HMM Zoids are also awesome, but not quite the same amount of ENGINEERING compared to a PG. Riobot Anubis and Jehuty are both amazing too.
>>
>>6474452
>engineering that's going blow my mind sideways out of my arsehole
Amazing engineering, you say?

1. Watch this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZYCD9wwzA
2. Pick your jaw up off the floor
3. Go buy it
>>
>>6474654
I do love Macross, especially Do You Remember Love. I heard the Yamato/Arcadia stuff is beautiful but fairly fragile, any input on that?

>>6475385
Probably not. That thing looks super-cool but if it can't transform what's the point?

>>6475559
I've been looking at the Gundam kits, the RGs seem especially impressive for their size and price. How stable is the PG Unicorn once it's built? Also, I saw a review of the Metal Composite final battle Unicorn, I love that iridescent seafoam green finish they gave it - are the GFFMC Unicorns actually any good?

>>6476218
Glorious. Was this by the same designer who did the Re:Edit figures? It has a lot of the same tricks going on.
>>
>>6476258
Yeah, well they aren't meant to be played with like a normal toy per se. But they aren't super delicate. As long as you're not tossing it around, it should be fine.
>>
>>6476246
How well does it hold together? A lot of companies could make something like that but it's a matter of how well the material will hold up as you play with it.
>>
>>6477779
Great. Sentinel build quality is pretty top-notch for the most part. Also, I dunno about "a lot of companies" being able to engineer toys on that level, if they could wouldn't they do it? I mean, of all the companies producing high-end toys these days (and there are a lot of them), there's no shortage of money or cheerful willingness to make things that don't necessarily hold together well.
>>
>>6477816
>>6476246

It looks neat but Bandai puts out a Robot Damashii every month with that kind of engineering though.
>>
>>6477826
Mazinkaiser still has more advanced engineering than Robot Damashii anime Gundam.

I will say the ANIME line has 75-80% of Mazinkaiser's engineering.
>>
>>6476246
Well I guess that is amazing if you are coming from Hasbro level figures. Pretty standard elsewhere.
>>
>>6477838
>>6477845
Am I just buying the wrong toys or something? I've been buying high-end Japanese toys for about a decade now, and Sentinel's Mazinkaiser is still impressive to me. I mean, sure, I've seen some of these tricks before, but never accomplished so well.

Also, I only own one ANIME release so far (Char's Zaku II), but I was pretty underwhelmed with the engineering. The only things that were kinda impressive were the ab crunch and the way half of the elbow joint was red. The shoulder butterfly joints and um...swingy hip joints I was used to from Gunpla so those weren't particularly impressive to me either. And I was downright disappointed with the ankles, they have pretty shit range and the engineering isn't very clever, just a double balljoint. Are the other ANIME releases significantly better?
>>
>>6477957
Yes. The regular Zaku II has better knee joints and no hip floppiness (other than that it's the same figure, though). The RX-78-2 beats most gunpla and high-end stuff by having a well-articulated midsection and an incredibly clever shoulder butterfly joint system in the torso. Guncannon is probably my favourite though, it actually has very similar articulation to that Mazinkaiser engineering-wise. Its only issue is the legs don't split very far. I don't have the Dom and Z'gok yet, but people rave about the engineering on those too.
>>
>>6475385

That's practically a gundam with an autobot symbol thrown on>>6475559
>>
>>6477816
I know articulation being called engineering is a meme but their engineers are more likely doing things like verifying that the materials can withstand loads or designing the molds to make sure they don't have production issues.

The only thing that really stands out to me is the waist, which they did nicely with a bunch of sliding (or maybe floating) pieces to cover up gaps. But similar mechanisms are a staple on RG gunplas' sliding armor and some MGs like the RX-78-2 v3. Everything else looks pretty standard, except the hips, which I've only seen on the MG Astray Gundams.

Bandai could probably do it with a model kit or a particularly expensive metal build. Mazinkaiser also has the advantage of a particularly large upper body, which gives it plenty of room for that ab crunch, you can see the z-axis gap on the crunch between the upper chest and stomach. Speaking of impressive, the MG V2 and RG Zeta are pretty incredible. If the frames were made of stronger material and they were sold premade as toys I think a lot of people would be blown away.

>Sentinel build quality is pretty top-notch for the most part.
My Riobot Jehuty seems so-so. It's nice but it put me off from being their more expensive figures.
>>
>>6476246
>diecast
no thank you
>>
>>6477963
>better knee joints
Do you mean they did away with the soft ratcheting that sort of makes the knee snap into certain positions? That really annoyed me on Char's.
>>
>>6477957
You should really dip into the rest of the Anime line if all you have is the Char Zaku. (Probably the weakest of the lot)
Quite a lot of really interesting engineering going into those figures.
>>
>>6474452
I love my RG Zaku II, but you'd need some basic gunpla skills to put it together. Riobot Gurren Lagann has shifting plates too and a tracking eyeballs on his chest that moves along with the head.

It depends on what kind of fancy engineering you're after though. Armor plates that shift on their own as you move the figure is a personal fav of mine.
>>
The RG Unicorn is apparently really good and well done and it's barely $30.
>>
>>6478063
Yes, exactly. Non of the subsequent releases of the Zaku have that, thankfully.
>>
>>6478150
>>6478157
I have been Gunpla-ing for a while, but I've mostly stayed away from the RG line. I hear they're kind of fiddly and/or hand-grenade-esque due to packing all those fancy features and small parts into such a small scale figure. Plus, I tried building the one everyone said was the best (Mk.II) and it's not a whole lot of fun to pose due to the scarily tight joints on the frame.
>>
File: YAMERO.webm (2MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
YAMERO.webm
2MB, 720x1280px
>>6479390
>scarily tight joints on the frame.
Just grab it as close to the center of rotation/action as possible and gently move it. Never had a problem with them.

Also, the RG unicorn is a fucking marvel of engineering apparently.
>>
>>6479390
Weird, the RG Mk-II might be one of my all time favourite Gunpla, it feels as good as an action figure and better than most of my gunpla, even HGs. Never had any problem, I even did some stop motion with it.

>>6480012
I didn't even wanted him but now I kinda do....damn you Anon.
>>
>>6474452
I dont know how much your monopoly money is worth compared to american but id recommend the white dingo gm sniper (MG) if you can get your hand on one
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.