[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people are paying a couple hundred dollars for action figures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: ebay.png (658KB, 1357x765px) Image search: [Google]
ebay.png
658KB, 1357x765px
>people are paying a couple hundred dollars for action figures that will eventually be in stores for under $10

People with money are fucking dumb
>>
Actually, not all of them will, due to the rampant overstocking of wave 1 figures killing customer enthusiasm before the 3rd or 4th wave almost every time.

Also, it's more egregious that these are shitty 5 PoA figs that probably have sloppy paint and minimal gimmicks and/or accessories. The hell is this Force Link shit, the new version of CommTech? I'm sure that'll force sales in droves, rather than these toys actually being fun and not weak, generic versions of Amiibo/Skylanders.
>>
>>6466309
>It's a why can't anon just use the general thread episode.
>>
I wonder how many people paid through the ass for an early Jyn Erso.
>>
>>6466359
Generals are cancer.
>>
>>6466315

star wars toy purists (old people) like the old figure style. they are also good for kids

Black series is for the younger adults.
>>
>>6466315
Fuck 5PoA. They're borderline unposeable, why even have articulation if the best pose you can get is the classic 'one arm outstretched with gun'? Maybe if you're lucky you can get it into a walking pose and take a photo before a gentle breeze knocks it over
>>
>>6466405

>>6466406 here, posted my comment before I saw yours. That's a good point, actually- I guess I forgot that toys are for kids too
>>
>>6466405
A subsection of people enjoy the old style of articulation. The same sort that enjoy plain ReAction figures. And more power to those who can enjoy those at 10 bucks a pop, though I can't fathom enjoying them myself.

But to keep this line going, it needs variety and an interesting hook, or for the price to be bargain-basement. I doubt Force Link is any more innovative than the umpteen other tie-in games that Hasbro's tried to keep lines afloat in the past, like that weird dice game.

I mean, is a kid really going to want 2 of these guys or one of those shitty Titan figures that have the same articulation at 20 bucks?
>>
>>6466406
Crazy as it might sound, but I suspect those figures in particular are possibly meant more for children, who tend to use something called "imagination" to "play" with those toys.
>>
>>6466424
They should be priced for children, not for adults. I don't care what Disney's charging for the license, the figures aren't worth 10-13 bucks. Especially since they don't have a property behind them that's worth that much, especially not if the last 2 retail purges are any indication.
>>
>>6466424
nope, it's just using "nostalgia" as an excuse to cheap out.
>>
File: 015.jpg (280KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
015.jpg
280KB, 1200x900px
>>6466309
I've always thought that it's youtube reviewers who bid up these auctions. The views/subscriptions they get for posting early reviews of these soon-to-be-everywhere toys could theoretically offset the absurd auction price.

>>6466406
Don't forget the awesome surrendering poses!

>>6466417
I agree that the price should be bargain-basement for 5POA. The figures can be fun despite their limited articulation, and many of them look pretty great, but paying close to 10 bucks for one just ain't worth it. I liked a lot of the Rogue One figures, but I had no desire to buy any until they started reaching the ~$4 price range.
>>
>>6466447
>>6466432

I think Hasbro has decided that $10 is a good price for the figures to make quick and easy gifts to kids, while also turning a good profit.

If I had some nephew or niece who was really into star wars I wouldn't hesitate to get them one of these every now and then for no special occasion.
>>
>>6466309
>no new aliens or robots

Lame
>>
>>6466638
They just don't learn. Nobody wants Star Wars toys of normal people in normal clothes.
>>
>>6466675
I'll buy 2 of the Rey's desu. And MAYBE a Luke. Everything else is an easy pass.
>>
>>6466309
Star Wars toys are such a cancer. they make more than 10 of the same character, and the ones no one cares about occupy a toy/comic store shelf for decades
>>
>>6466829
They also basically invented toy collecting so maybe shut the fuck up!?
>>
File: daffy_duck__1920x1080 (2).jpg (91KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
daffy_duck__1920x1080 (2).jpg
91KB, 1920x1080px
>>6466838
>it was the FIRST so it was GOOD
>>
>>6466838
So? Every practice and meme they brought into it on its inception were pure cancer and still haunts us to this day.
>>
>>6466838
>Wahhhh wahhh
Get over yourself. We don't owe star whores shit when it comes to toys.
>>
Before TPM was released, a classmate of mine was offered $100 for his new Mace Windu as he walked out of FAO with it. So... I guess it isn't surprising that 20 years later people are pulling the same shit.
>>
>>6466309
>People with money are fucking dumb
No, they have money. To most people it would seem stupid, because the average person thinks, "You could save it/spend it on something more important." They only say this because they can't comprehend having enough money that $810 to spend on Star Wars figures, regardless of what they eventually go for in December, is no concern. You have a poor person's thought process, anon.
>>
>>6466946
It's insecurity at its worst;
>wahhh you spent HOW much?
>you spent HOW much gas going to the store?
>you didn't wait for it to go on sale??

Literally who the fuck cares, collectors would be much happier if they worried about themselves
>>
It's probably a youtube reviewer bidding that high. The ability to be THE FIRST to review or the only review for these for 3 weeks. Like that stupid race to be first to comment under someone's post on threads. These are probably the ones the guy found on vacation from Panama. He's definitely going to pay for his trip on this.

Also never doubt the stupidity of Star Wars collectors. Especially if they can be the first to have something. There was this one time two of them who also collect GI Joe had a race to get something. KMart got some 25th Anniversary vehicles 6 weeks ahead of everyone else and they found one of the 3 stores that still showed stock. They raced over there a high speeds and ran through the store like maniacs. They weren't on the shelf so one went to the service desk to grab a manager, the other snuck in the stock room and found them on case. While idiot 1 was explaining the dire situation of getting these, the other one was checking out. Then he took his eBay pic of them in his back of his truck and posted them when he got back. Neckbeard 1 was still at the store looking and was furious to find the other walked in the back room and bought them. He actually wasted the polices time to try to arrest him for trespassing. Then he called the other one and was crying for him to take down the listing. Literally begging him to sell them to him cause he can't sleep not having them and the people on Hisstank will think less of him because he didn't have them first.
>>
>>6466309
It's usually the youtubers that do this, so they can have the first video reviews out of them/.
>>
>>6466309
>People with money are fucking dumb
People that buy Star Wars shit are dumb. They're as bad as Transformers.
>>
>>6466374
I don't know but I got fooled into ordering a solid case expecting her to be scalped to hell and back. If you told me she'd be on shelves 2 months after the movie, let alone 7-8, I never would've believed you.
>>
File: 2008-06-02_194102.jpg (19KB, 363x416px) Image search: [Google]
2008-06-02_194102.jpg
19KB, 363x416px
>>6466309
I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW
>>
>>6466447
Is that some mouth articulation? Does he have "It's a trap" action?
>>
>>6466882
>1st highly successful small scale figures

Wouldn't have G.I. Joes in 3.75 scale if not for the success of the first Star Wars toyline.

>1st highly successful movie licensed toy

Literally changed the game on movie merchandise marketing. No Star Wars toys? Then no Aliens, Predator, Terninator, Robocop, and other such movie based toylines we had as children.

>1st toyline to also include secondary and tertiary character designs just because they looked interesting

You'd be enjoying nothing but major A list heroes and villians right now. Fan of The Beetle? Who the fuck even is that? Make more Green Goblins. Mary Jane? Why would anyone want a figure of her? Kids don't like that mushy romance stuff. Make more Venoms.

And if you enjoy licensed Lego, they basically pioneered that as well.

But yeah, we don't owe them anything.

>captcha: select all images that are punching bags

Sounds about right.
>>
>>6467107
>Owe George Lucas
>Man who almost sank his own series into oblivion once he had total control

>Owe Disney
>A corporation that would love nothing more than to bilk you of money from the moment you're born, the moment you discover your dick/twat, the moment you die.

No. Respect your history with acknowledgement, learn from its mistakes so as not to repeat them, then keep moving the fuck forward.
>>
>>6466395

Newfag
>>
>>6467114
I dunno, the franchise seemed to be going pretty strong before he sold it. Clone Wars had 5 seasons and merch all the way through. The Lego sets were super popular. The hasbro toy lines had some of the highest level of quality and articulation towards the end of the Lucas Arts era. (TVC in particular was great quality and difficult to find as it was selling out like hotcakes in my area). So many Force FX lightsabers and roleplay helmets. A collectible miniatures game that was also pretty popular at my local gaming shop.

Now, since the Disney take over there have been some missteps in marketing. Turning the 3.75 scale to 4poa kid oriented toys only, then bringing the better quality 3.75 line as a Walmart exclusive. Along with case ratios and wave slot selections. How many Revans per case? Wasn't he a Fan's choice figure? Hopefully they step up their game these next two years.
>>
>>6467145
I'm an oldfag, which is how I know that generals are killing most of the fun on this board. All this "why did you make a new thread when you could have posted in a general" and making "things that wouldn't belong in a general" generals. It's fuckin pedantic.

But naw, I guess on such a slow moving board we need to save that "what is this toy that I have vague memories of but have no information or even a picture of" thread. Or the "Is my toy worth cash monies/Treefiddy reply thread. And lets not forget the 3 sessions old Transformers General. Wouldn't want to lose those.
>>
>>6467152
Meant more the Phantom Menace, where he took total control over the production of the film. Once he realized he was shit and stepped back more(or the studio forced him to), the production value rose some but still suffered. Hell, didn't he used to complain about the increased articulation ruining sculpts?
>>
>>6467170

>doesn't remember the era for generals
>uses cancer incorrectly
>uses pedantic like a moron

You're either a newfag or a moron. Either way you're probably going to respond with another autism driven pedantic post.
>>
>>6467178
>calls someone a moron for using pedantic

>uses pedantic

Okay, so you're just a retard. Good to know.
>>
File: latest.jpg (40KB, 408x544px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
40KB, 408x544px
>>6467174
Yeah, I mean, agree the movies were poorly written and directed. And part of that was rushing to remove the importance he placed on Jar Jar. If you watch the behind the scenes stuff for episode 1, he constantly states how important Jar Jar was for the overall plot. The second movie's working title was something like "Jar Jar's adventure" even.

But when everyone hated him, he had to re-write stuff pretty much as it was in production.

Also his first script was taken to a script doctor to be touched up and improved. Also the actors who did improvising (Han Solo's "I know" as Leia professes her love for example)

But also his directing was less hands on as the first trilogy, he sat behind monitors and didn't interact much with the actors. Plus there were a lot of child actors and he hates working with kids in film. Totally a lack of effort on his part. No on site filming either, just green rooms.

But for all it's flaws it does have it's moments. I was rewatching them recently and noticed for the first time that most of the people involved in the podrace have yellow and red iris patterns. Kinda like maybe some of them are sith corrupted.
>>
>>6467209
>most of the people involved in the podrace have yellow and red iris patterns. Kinda like maybe some of them are sith corrupted.

Big if true.
>>
>>6467170
>I like spam threads

just go to /trash/ or /b/ then. the whole point of generals is sorta to make it easier for people to discuss shit. when there's 20 different threads related to the same thing it gets annoying for people who are looking to post in other threads. this isn't rocket science.
>>
>>6468629
Board related topics aren't spam.

Talking about collectors who spend a shit load of money from thieves who sell test units from China or OP's early cases is definitely related and qualifies for its own thread on /toy/

Personally, i think its nuts how people need shit right now, rather than waiting and seeing if the toy is even good.
So even preorders, to me, are stupid.

Also, is captcha being an asshole? Always says that i don't get it correct when i hit POST.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (150KB, 1000x848px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
150KB, 1000x848px
>>6467209
>But when everyone hated him
this what killed StarWars for me.
i liked gungans and Jar Jar and that awesome as fuck race-part.
But every dork was whining how bad these things are so i said fuck it. Im a SW-hater now.
However i own picrelated figure. Captain Tarpals is badass.
I also have a small jar jar and Droideka figure from 2-3 years ago and lego minifig of R2D2
thats basically my entire SW collection.

But no. Every starwars faggot will be buying luke and darth vader in every fucking for all over again and again when next shitty movie comes out.
PS:
Btw in my opinion Anakin from newer movies is way shittier character than Jar Jar.
Jar was doing what he was made for - he was funny slapstic-character.
Anakin was a main villain that was a shitty annoying teenager
>>
>>6468724
english is not my language and im typing from vedroid. so..yeah
>>
>>6466405
Take your brain back to when you were a kid and think about what articulation you would prefer. Why the fuck would anyone over the age of 3 want limited articulation? We need to stop underestimating kids, they're not retarded
>>
File: 8382.gif (234KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
8382.gif
234KB, 120x120px
>>6466961
source please
>>
>>6468724
Yeah, Anakin's character development was pretty poorly done. He was supposed to come off as this tortured hero, but it came off as whiny teenage angst. Look at his basic storyline and it could have been better if written better.

Started off as a slave. Had no control of his life. His only joy was building/repairing things and participating in the pod races, which he always lost.

Then one day he meets a Jedi, and the Jedi tells him he's important. He participates in a race and then learns that in doing so he's won his freedom. And he is told he will be trained to be a Jedi. Everything is going aces.

Then he gets to the temple, and they tell him that he won't be trained. And from there everything seems to become a struggle for him. He fluctuates between extreme over confidence in his abilities to spirals of self doubt and believing that he needs to be better. Be perfect. He's the "chosen one".

So when things like gaining a seat in the council happen, but he's not granted the title of Master, it again makes him question his worth, which eventually drives him to the darkside. Fear that he can't live up to the expectations of being the Chosen one and will be a disappointment to everyone. Anger that he isn't a better person and that he can't fix everything. Hatred of himself for not living up to his own high expectations of himself.

If written better and with some subtlety, it would have been a better story of the dark hero slowly becoming further corrupted.

And I was honestly the same way about Jar Jar. I actually liked his design a lot (hated his voice), but the one time I defended the character, I got flamed. I had to hide my non-hatred of Jar Jar like it was some kind of secret shame. It wasn't until the Jar Jar is secretly a Sith fan theory that my interest in the character peaked at such a level that I could discuss the character with friends again.
>>
>>6467209
>If you watch the behind the scenes stuff for episode 1, he constantly states how important Jar Jar was for the overall plot
No, retard. Jar Jar being "the key to all of this" has nothing to do with the plot. Jar Jar was the first fully CGI main character in a major motion picture. If Jar Jar worked and was believable, then all of the other CGI elements (Battle Droids, creatures, Watto, other Gungans, the podrace sequence, and on and on) would work as well, since Jar Jar was the major element they spent the most time on. If he didn't, the whole movie would fall flat. How successful they were is partially a matter of opinion, but WETA referenced the work done on Jar Jar when developing their approach to Gollum, so on a technical level it was, at minimum, a huge stepping stone to the way we use CGI in movies today.
>>
>>6469171
>"He's the key to all this, if we can get Jar Jar working. Because he's a funnier character than we've had in any of the movies before"

Yeah, sure sounds like he's talking about the technical cgi aspect and not character development. Dumbass.
>>
>>6469207
Because if the character comes off as phony, then the humor doesn't work, and--

No, you're right. George Lucas is an idiot, the prequels are stupid, only the original original cuts of the OT have value, and also Rogue One because it sucked the OT's cock.
>>
>>6469220
I liked CG Yoda. And Darth Maul and Grievous designs were pretty rad.

Man, I'm gonna watch Clone Wars on Netflix.
>>
>>6466961
I want to watch a Youtube series about stories like this instead of run-of the mill DeviantArt idiots.
>>
>>6466838
> Star Wars was the end of healthy civilization

Gotcha.
>>
>>6468724
That theory that Jar Jar was originally supposed to be an evil counterpoint to Yoda, a kind of trickster gaining peoples trust by being so clumsy, is my favorite piece of fanon.
>>
>>6469742
If you watch the prequels with that in mind, it makes things seem more interesting. He's the one who leads the course of the first movie. He even is the one who plants the idea of going to war in Padme's head with "Gungans have a grand army. Maybe that's why you no likin us."

Basically anytime a character makes a decision that seems like a bad one or out of character, look to see if Jar Jar is around.

Also I'm pretty sure he sabotages Anikan's pod racer during the repair scene by throwing a tool into the engine, because after hearing about the bet to free Anikan, he suddenly remembers it's there and goes to pull the tool out of the engine.

He's also the one who pushes the granting of power to Palpatine.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.