[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i want to become a toy maker... -industrial designer -sculpting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 18

File: IMG_3301.jpg (77KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3301.jpg
77KB, 1080x1080px
i want to become a toy maker...

-industrial designer
-sculpting 5/10
-3d modelling 3/10
-access to FDM 3d printer - yes
-access to SLA or SLA yes
-post processing, almost.
- materials available for low run production: wood, only a couple of rubbers, and couple fragile resins (protoindustrial third world shithole)
also a very low budget to start with.

>where do i start?
>what do people really like?
>what totally will you give me money for?
>>
File: 29376236331_67a28e61da_o.jpg (74KB, 1426x496px) Image search: [Google]
29376236331_67a28e61da_o.jpg
74KB, 1426x496px
>>6436166
I'll be monitoring this thread. I've got some concept art for keshi/pvc figures and not sure what medium to pursue. Probably 3d modeling just to allow for symmetry.
>>
>>6436176
Left looks like Zuckuss in a long coat.
>>
File: chibisimpact.jpg (53KB, 1483x548px) Image search: [Google]
chibisimpact.jpg
53KB, 1483x548px
Hey, it's pretty hard to make a living as a toy maker unless you get popular in the urban toy scene.
You can have an Etsy store and sell little figures of established franchises, in small limited pieces to avoid lawsuits.

For me I love chibi really well sculpted stuff. If I could afford I'd get bunches. Also love keshi, so shit like this >>6436176 is very much my thing.
I have no idea how well does that sell.
>>
>>6436198
>that skill
Man I wish I had that kind of skill. Same here, love keshi stuff and wish it was more available/cheaper. Also curious of how well it does. They sell for a lot online and conventions, but don't see the connection between size/quality and price. Seems so easy to mass produce through molding.

>>6436187
I can totally see that. It's The Fly from Bandai's Horror World series.
>>
>>6436166
that dinosaur is cute as fuck, anon. I'd buy one in a heartbeat
>>
Army Men.
>>
>>6436166
What, for a living? Just a hobby?
>>
>>6436635
Imagine being such a grumpy faggot that having someone else find something cute throws you into a blind rage.
>>
Why not invest in a CNC mill and/or SLS 3D printer and make actual figures? Or a pressure pot for resin casting.
>>
>>6436733
Now that I think about it you just need to be able to cast resin. You can just buy premade joints or have them printed on shapeways. You can make toys the old fashioned way
>>
File: IMG_0074.jpg (206KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0074.jpg
206KB, 750x1000px
>>6436166
I'm doing the same thing sort of. I'm lucky in that I really like frame arms girls and such which are very hot right now. I'm starting by casting small GK add on packs and such, moving up to blank bodies if they come out well, and then trying to make my own tiny robot girls.

Is one of those vacuum pots in the low hundreds good enough for small scale, small piece recasting?
>>
OP HERE

>>6436584
Not my design, but totally gonna do my own version, i like the simpler silhouettes but adding surface details and textures, and a semi detailed paint work that complements the overall figure. Also love mechanical design and automatas, so i'm thinking on integrating some internal mechanism or doing some experimental approach with materials like paper.

Friendly reminder that funko pop are designed to be crowd pleasers, just the hint of a pop culture reference on a not that detailed canvas just to allow fast and massive production . That minimalism seems lazy. Despite i own just three of their toys, and one was a gift.

>>6436744
Yes always a vacuum machine will help to extract air bubbles on the resin. Try to adapt a PC bell and a hand air pump for starters.
>>
>>6436744
Vacuum is more for molds to prevent bubbles when you put it under pressure.

When you pour resin in you'll get bubbles and vacuums may or may not remove them all even if you vacuum it when it's in the mold, so pressure casting is typically the way to go and recommended by industrial resin producers.
>>
>>6436733
>SLS 3D printer
That's a large investment desu.
>>
Do you have a solid, unique, identifiable graphic style to your work? Cuz that's kind of a prerequisite to making money at this unless you're willing and able to spam your work for years and years, or latch onto a fandom that is juuuust popular enough but juuuust small enough that your work has an audience.

I both work in the field as a small-scale artist-designer, and as a large-scale commercial-designer/modelmaker. Making a living as the former is so much more work.
>>
>>6436867
Where do you sell your shit, Squid?
>>
File: received_1732588956769622.jpg (109KB, 1091x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_1732588956769622.jpg
109KB, 1091x2048px
I am working on 3d modelling this old Sportsman RV based transformer to 3d print a figure of. Do you guys have and suggestions? Maybe a way to have it so other people could make it? I am new to both 3d printing and modern transformers.
>>
>>6436166
Good luck OP Im at 9/10 for most of your skills and know I have very little chance in hell mainly because I don't live in California or Asia. Hoping to maybe someday get noticed or sell off my designs in some sort of way.
>>
I'm also thinking of doing my own designs and printing my own toys.
Maybe some transformers weapons, and my own small robot designs.
My problem is that commercially available 3d printers have results that are still grainy.
>>
>>6436867
What do you do at Shoot the Moon anyway?
>>
>>6436836
Yea but Formlabs is coming out with one for $10,000. Which is doable for someone who's in middle class. You just need to save up and/or finance the purchase. It's a serious purchase but if you're serious about toy making it might be a good one in the long term.
>>
>>6437319
There's always kickstarter or taking money for preorders too. You'd probably need to start with something else to get some prototypes you could use to entice people, but it's an idea.
>>
>>6437141
A little of everything except soldiering, programing, and the deeper end of mechanical engineering.

So CAD, model making, video editing, low-end mechanical engineering, and concept sketching.
>>
licenced shit
hipster wood toys for their retarded hipster babies
really cool spinner designs because those don't exist
adult autists shit like fidget toys
>>
>>6436867
Still looking for it, but drawing isn't my best job, i'm looking into taking some illustration techniques workshops. Justo to get a closer look of what defines me as a designer. Stuff i did on college didn't satisfy me anymore. Also the need of money and work always distracts me from that search. (Design isn't well paid and opportunities aren't the best on this side of the world.

>>6437134
Nothing that a bit of sanding or priming would do.
>>
>>6436166

It really doesn't matter what you do or where you start. You pretty much just have to do He-Man and Transformers homages and you're good.
>>
File: Gay-Empire-V1.jpg (326KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
Gay-Empire-V1.jpg
326KB, 576x576px
Make wooden toys, maybe something based on a pre-established ip or weird monsters.

If you can get resin (smooth on is a bit costy but is the most widely used one) make bootlegs, parody toys based on existing ones, people love them.

People tend to pay more attention to how you paint the toy so get creative with that.

If the sucklord could do it, you too.
>>
>>6436955

start small.

If you are new to both 3d printing and toy design just start with small stuff so you can get a hang on the basics, then proceed with more elaborate things.

3d printing is costy and theres a lot of things that can go wrong, get documented on how are you supposed to model the pieces so the printing process goes well and which printing materials are good for what you want to do.
>>
>>6437134

post processing and printing halfs of objects is very important to get good results in FDM printers.

Also not selling the print itself, but using it as a prototype.
>>
>>6438471
This isn't intended as any kind of snarky, but if you have no distinct graphic style or visual aesthetic, why would people want to buy your product? Are you decent at mechanical engineering? If so, why not design some kind of mechanical puzzle or fidget toys? Even then, though, that market is overssturated unless you can figure out something that makes your work different than what's already available.
>>
File: Photo 4-24-17, 10 25 50 PM.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 4-24-17, 10 25 50 PM.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
These are my favorite /toy/ threads.
I know they never have many places to go as we all have pretty much the same limited advices, without anyone actually into the industry to talk about his experience, so they all last a very short glimpse into the catalog and fade fast, but I still love to know that there's anon making things out there.
>>
>>6439153
Good one anon , thanks
>>
>>6439532
Maybe we should make a /toy/ making general. And a sticky. The sculpting threads are rare in /ic/
>>
>>6439558
The customs thread serves that purpose and it's always dead.
>>
>>6439558
I don't think it'd go anywhere.
We're what, 6 people interested in that kind of stuff? 8 tops.
>>
>>6439532
is that the double king from colgrave's animations?
>>
>>6439575
The righteous.
>>
File: 64625.jpg (12KB, 256x171px) Image search: [Google]
64625.jpg
12KB, 256x171px
>>6439572
21 posters itt. Though I'm not sure how many are seriously planning on actually starting.

Any call for lewd animal scales? I saw this Okami figure and simultaneously fell in love and realized there weren't any real zoo scales.
>>
>>6436166
I designed and learned everything about toy making as a hobby in a year. Go to instagram and subscribe to the designer toys website feed.
Just look at what is made, don't copy them, find something in the trend and more importantly that you like.
If your thing is 3d modeling then go that way. Make a thing then get a highdef print. Make a mold out of it then cast it. Nice package, sell, repeat.

I am sculpting with my hands because i find it easier. And 3d modeled toys tends to have that "3d modeled" look that i don't like.

The lowest budget i can think of is silicone caulk mixed with corn starch. it makes a sort of modeling clay. You will have less details and less durability than silicone but it can work for shitty bootlegs or small pieces.
>>
http://lightbeam3d.com/

i don't know about their prices but the result is amazing.
>>
>>6439841
https://youtu.be/7fwytA5r2Mw

here is what you can do with the caulk and starch
>>
File: hotline_miami.jpg (1MB, 1700x1251px) Image search: [Google]
hotline_miami.jpg
1MB, 1700x1251px
>>6436166
I feel you, OP. Been sculpting figurines for a number of years as a hobby. Been wanting to get me a 3D printer to create joints and tiny parts. Not really interested in turning it into a profession, it's just fun to make stuff.
>>
>>6439880
3d printers are better for large parts. Precision and accuracy are both poor
>>
>>6439880
You should sculpt your joint once then mold them. You can use high resistance resin to cast them like smooth on task or 65D.
>>
>>6439880
An $80K 3Dprinter is kinda much for a hobby.
If you're talking about the hobby 3dprinters, then you're NOT going to be able to make joints, strong parts, fine detail, or anything other than ribbed blobby messes.
The "hobby" in the hobby level 3dprinters is repairing and maintaining them, not making anything.
>>
Alright, so I'm poking for vacuum chambers, but it's a lot to take in. Can anyone recommend a specific pot and pump for 1/12 scale figures (meaning, nothing over ~six inches in height) and, say, Smooth-on Mold Max silicone and TASK resin? Though I can see myself ending up using the featherweight more since I'm planning on mostly scales, not actual toys.
>>
>>6439939
i build one with a refregirator motor it's virtually free.
I use Esprit Composite silicone and i don't have bubbles even without degassing.

Degassing is more optional than pressure casting.
>>
>>6439939
To be precise i also used MoldStar silicone and didn't had bubbles problem. Only when i used a vaseline cream to avoid the two half of a mold to stick to each other. I tried pure vaseline once and it didn't worked at all. I still have this to figure out.
>>
>>6439939
If you have budget a vacuum pump costs around 100$ and you can make the pot yourself with a big glass jar.
>>
>>6440158
What, like cutting a hole in the metal top of a 1 or 2 gallon mason jaw? You can DIY the seal tight enough for that? And any good vacuum pump brands to recommend? I'm comfortable dropping a hundred something right now, or I could wait a month and a half for my birthday to get something better if there's a huge difference.

Now you say pressure casting's the more important part. Anything to recommend on that side of things, or can it be similarly improvised? Sounds like that part requires a bit more professionally made equipment.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>6439921
Not quiiiite true. We use a few FDM machines at work constantly, but we're doing protos for larger toys marketed to kids, not finely-detailed action figures. FDM 3D printers are FANTASTIC for making shells and chassis for things like animatronics, but less-so for collectors-grade toys.

>>6439841
If you DO want that hand-modeled look in 3D, there's some fantastic books out in Japan on designing toys and action figures in a mix of Rhino and Zbrush. The one I got has industry examples, like how they modeled a Nendoroid, a Revoltech, and the Desktop Army figurines.
>>
>>6440228
Actually, scratch that, looks like pressure pots cost way more than vacuum chambers. I'll have to hold off a bit longer if I want to get serious. It'll have to be Ooomoo and Smooth-cast for a little while longer.
>>
>>6439841
As a page or hastag on instagram?

Did once the caulk and starch, works fine with resin but still had to sand a lot to get a nice finish.

>>6440279

I'd like to see one of those books. Do you have a digital copy? Or can you point me where to get one?
>>
>>6441045
I haven't been able to find a digital copy, except for sale from the publisher. The books are available on Japanese Amazon and through Kinokunia Books. If I can get consistant access to a scanner I'll put up a few of the lessons.
>>
>>6441527
Thanks that will help us a lot.
>>
>>6441045
I don't post my instagram on here but if you are on it there is a chance you saw what i'm doing.

>>6440289
Yes it's expensive you need a compressor and a professionnal pressure pot.
If you are careful with your mold design and air vents you should be fine. A pressure pot is used with slow curing resins that develops bubbles as they cure. If you plan on using fast resin you will not have enough time to put the mold in the pot anyway.
>>
>>6443855
The main thing I need right now is for it to be lighter. I can get by with the simple, fast stuff in most molds, but it's very heavy compared to recasts I've gotten from e2046, say. That and faces. I have a helluva time casting 1/12 faces without a bubble in the nose. With the things I'm planning on casting, I definitely need a pressure pot if I want to start selling.
>>
>>6443855
>a professionnal pressure pot.
Most peoplebuse modified paint mixer/sprayer pots. I know ca tech makes pots for casting but they're not certified so who knows how good they actually are
>>
test pls ignore
>>
2nd test
>>
>>6444106
How do you modify them? Most of the listings I looked at said they barely held up to 50 psi, and many started buckling sooner than that. I saw Smooth-on sells one specifically designed for resin casting for 700 usd. Looking at them, I think they're by CA Tech, and not to sound like a corporate whore, but I doubt a resin casting company would be selling a resin pressure pot that isn't at least pretty good. Other than that, the cheapest resin specific one I can find is in the 300 range.
>>
>>6444197
They change the pressure release valves and remove the mixer and what not and plug the remaining holes.

I think smooth-on's pots are by binks. Binks pots are certified for the listed pressure but expensive. But I'm not sure smoothing actually uses binks pots. The cheap pots you saw are probably Ca technologies. There are people who just cast using harbor freight junk so take it as you will.
>>
>>6444241
I can live with ~300 for just personal use. My amiami order's up to 450 this month after all. If I went up to the real deal at 700, I'd really want to be confident I'd be able to at least sell /something/ and recoup a bit of the costs. And this is before even thinking about the actual resin/silicone costs.

I think I'll gamble on the middle CA Tech first and maybe upgrade later if I get good/popular/trusted enough that I can take money for preorders on a future release.
>>
>>6436955
that is super complex for a first project

Really a general rule for anyone is to get solid design and artistic/technical skills before starting something big.

>>6439532
fuck i love that guy. Sculpt needs some work but you're on your way!
>>
>>6444954
Still very early, I met a roadblock with the top crown. Gonna try some very thin wires and hope that shit stays put.
Once it's done I'mma send one to Felix.
>>
>>6439880
These are really fucking cool and I want them now
>>
File: small_cultist.jpg (505KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
small_cultist.jpg
505KB, 1000x562px
>>6446380

try a stiffer modeling clay, that way you can create very thin or small detail without warping or the thing falling apart.

Guys im making a little Crazy Bones-like cultist figure, any advice besides a better camera?
>>
>>6448210
not him but what kind of clay do you use?
>>
>>6448210
I'd say to make the eyes sulk back into the head instead of pop out. It's somewhat similar to another thing I'm making right now.
Loved Crazy Bones btw, nice scale.
>>
>>6448490

i made it myself, is a mix of 1 kg of somewhat firm plasticine, 150g of pure bee wax and 150g of paraffin.

Melt everything together in a pot at a low to medium flame preventing it from boiling and just keep stiring until it becomes an homogeneous mix.

Now you have clay that stays solid when cold, becomes malleable when warm and liquid when heated.

>>6448651

thank you, I kinda like the bug eyed look, but im gonna experiment with the looks.
>>
File: 4L_0Ab10KBW.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
4L_0Ab10KBW.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>6448790
Seems a nice mix, for positives and prototyping, then recycling after making a master mold.

OP here, This is something i'm working on, but still can't define the face... Some heavy detailing is missing to. I'm using an sculpey knock off made in my country
>>
>>6448790
Couldn't you just buy monster clay or cx5 or something? Seems like unnecessary work to save a bit of money
>>
>>6448831
Where you from?
>>
>>6448841

A bit of money? Dude, monster clay and cx5 cost over 25 dollars each plus shipping.

The shit i make costs 14 dollars and i still have enough wax and paraffine to make 2 kg of clay. Thats without mentioning the fact that i dont have to wait for it to arrive to my house.

And no, stiring melted stuff is not a lot of work, is just a bit boring.
>>
>>6448831

What are you trying to make exactly?
>>
>>6436166
make generic medieval. people love it and they will come back for more to make armies.
and you can subtly make dark souls stuff.
>>
>>6448894
Colombia

>>6449156
A big cheeked little chicken and its in the face where the lack of style hits hard. All this time overthinking it and its gonna end with a generic shit face
>>
>>6451620

make a drawing of how you want it to look first, that way you are not making shit up as you go and you have a more concrete idea of what you want to do.
>>
>>6450339
I'm already making Dark Souls stuff, but not so subtly.
>>
>>6451620
Border bros. Brazil here.
Not having Chavant, Monster Clay and WED clay readily available is a fucking drag.
It also took me a long time to gather all the materials I needed, just this week I got a little lamp oven to soften my clay. And I still didn't invest in molding and casting supplies. Takes so much money not having dollars.
>>
I'm thinking about 3d printing because I know blender pretty well. But I don't know which method of printing will be the best.
>>
>>6455781

if you can afford it, send your 3d print to a resin or dust based printing service, but you need to adjust your models so it has a hole for the excess of resin or dust to get out. The frailty of the model depends of the material and it can get pretty costy to have a high quality print.

FDM printing costs a little less and you can control if the object will be hollow, semi hollow or solid, but the model must be adjusted to have a flat surface to lay on and post processing like getting rid of supports and sanding the surface of the object to get rid of the layers or any irregularity must be done and that can get tricky on really intricate models or models with little details.

In both cases the model must be a manifold to prevent errors.
>>
>>6437326
Making a 3D model in a program would be a good start. Even if you don't buy the printer you can get someone else to print it or maybe use it in other manufacturing methods.
>>
>>6439921
You can easily get smooth, not-ribbed things with no stringing out of 400$ FDM printers if you know how to configure the settings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMakersMuse/videos this guys Wanhao i3 makes really professional looking stuff.
>>
>>6440279
Could you show us a few pages about the Nendoroids? I'm a commerical game artist, so I'm always curious to see the pipeline work of other craftspeople.
>>
Sup people, OP here.

>>6455781
Sla / sls for quality. Less sanding, almost ready to prime and print after taking out supports or cleaning.

Fdm. Parts orientation are key. Think of it as an intermediate process. Fill,sand, bondo, sand, primer, sand(optional), paint, finish. Cheaper than sla and sls, allows you to iterate, size and Big parts.

For both you have to think on detail how to make molds, and depending of the quality of it how well you copy those details.

>>6455981
Fdm know your supports, people print spheres and hypercubes in there. Not perfect but quie close.
>>
...I..I've started..

Granted I've only made figures out of Polymer clay..but I mean..hey, I've already sold a few.

Would definitely love to get into casting them in resin, not sure if I want to share them here though. They're all brightly colored girlie creatures
>>
Speaking of, what's the best way to sell things as a westerner? I've never sold anything on Etsy before, but I assume that'd be it? I see a lot of dollhouse furniture makers on eBay too. Or with paypal, would it be easiest to just make your own site even if that way requires a bit more advertising?
>>
>>6456038
You can print things relative cheap at shapeways
>>
>>6457201

post them, im curious now.
>>
>>6457201
please do. share with us your experience
>>
File: IMG_4850.jpg (3MB, 4032x2606px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4850.jpg
3MB, 4032x2606px
>>6458670
>>6458895

I feel like you all will hate them..but sure!
>>
>>6459035
they are pretty cool imo, i like the mix of cute and weird.

They totally could be vinyl toys.
>>
>>6459241

Awe thanks anon, I really appreciate that! :D

I've begun looking into resin casting for them such as OP has for their figures as well since vinyl figures can be very expensive.

Thanks again, I thought I'd get ripped to shreds showing them on here
>>
File: fingerguns_godzilla.png (82KB, 192x191px) Image search: [Google]
fingerguns_godzilla.png
82KB, 192x191px
>>6459259

as long as you are not Chris-chan levels of bad people will like your stuff even in 4chan.

The world is full of people with ideas but only a few are brave enough to make them a reality, keep pushing it forward.
>>
>>6459265

That means a lot..thank you!!

That's my struggle right now with social media and advertising. I don't want to be THAT brand, but also want to get them out there so it's a bit of a struggle in that area
>>
>>6458417

Cutieclops anon here, I personally prefer storenvy, they take out less fees, AND you can customize your store, unlike Etsy!
>>
>>6436166
I'm currently working to become a toy maker. Teaching myself to draw, paint and sculpt. I want to produce with a similar model to acid rain, but with a completely different sci-fi aesthetic
>>
>>6459275

post them on instagram and add a lot of tags, people will find them eventually.
>>
>>6459308
Thanks, I've only every bought comics from that store, so I totally forgot about it. And those cutieclops are pretty cute! If you're planning on adding joints, they'd fit right in on the /bjd/ thread.
>>
>>6459567

Oh well thank you! I do want to add joints to them and I did post them in the BJD thread just to make sure they weren't too similar to another doll makers creations
>>
>>6459716
Nice .

Refine them. Cant unsee a 'mlp' reference there. Just work them enough to take them away of that reference. You can add textures or more colors to detail them. Also make a blank one .
>>
File: IMG_5967.jpg (113KB, 1162x917px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5967.jpg
113KB, 1162x917px
>>6459877

Thanks for the tips anon, definitely plan on making a blank one for molding.

Will definitely try and work away from "those that shall not be spoke of", I wanted to keep them as minimal as possible with the design though and not add too much "detail" to them so as they'd appear less like "those that shall not be spoke of"..

DESU that's gonn be hard because I am an OG "those that shall not be spoke of" collector from childhood and these are kinda my answer to something I cherished that I feel was stolen from me..
>>
File: Photo 8-2-17, 6 45 27 PM.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 8-2-17, 6 45 27 PM.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Over the course of 3 movings in a very short amount of time my Dark Souls sculpts got damage.
Decided to take the tragedy to make them better;
On the right is the old Black Iron Tarkus body, on the left the new version.
>>
>>6459999
well you have 'justified' why you did them that way... keep the root concept but make it more interesting, not just a fan art. think of it as an improved definitive version. see how other artists made their impression with the toys... but still keep it your way.

>>6460390
just battle damage. those deserved to be finished
>>
>>6444018
You can try pouring resin in the detailed area mold open. When it cures you close the mold then pour to fill the rest.
>>
>>6461973
Now that might work. I've never thought of trying that. Also, I'm so used to making two part molds that I forgot just a simple block mold with a cut or two might work. I'm trying to recast shackles now and the two perpendicular circles are making it very difficult but you just gave me a couple ideas.
>>
>>6465859
If you do that, try to use a resin with low shrinkage.

Resin with a substantive shrinkage when cured can pull away from the mold wall, and then the resin from the second pour gets in there and weird things can happen.
>>
>>6465868
Yeah, I definitely need to experiment with more resins. Right now I've just been using smooth-on smooth cast shit, but I'm finally trying out the task series and the featherweight would be helpful for my shinki cradle 2.0 (and possibly some cosplay shit I want to try making) But I should try some brands other than just Smooth-on too. Any recs?

The convenience is the main reason I use them. They have an outlet store like 15 minutes from my house and they're based in PA so if I don't feel like driving, I still get my stuff in just a couple days.
>>
>>6465887
You find some great prices on ebay, like 2Liter of resin for around 25€.
Depends on your country but check urethane resin.
I have to try smooth on 65D to cast action figure, i've read it's solid enough to be handled.
Anyone used that?
>>
Alright, think I'm gonna stick with smooth-on for a while. Bought some alumilite and 5 runs of a mold all came out unusably squishy. Either its tolerances are way too tight or it's just not designed for the kind of molds I want to use it with.
>>
>>6465905
The 65d refers to hardness. Most toy plastics are 70-80D
>>
Are there any other resources or places that anyone knows of, like forums for toymaking or something? 4chan is pretty dead for this type of thing, and most people would rather just stick Apoxie Sculpt on an existing figure than make vinyls/custom toys like the ones presented here.
>>
>>6455981
>>6457048
Thanks for informations.
>>
>>6466175
Yes but 65D is more durable.
I cast in 78D and it's too brittle.
>>
>>6466927
Unfortunatly there are separate sources across the interweb but you find all this by searching the right words on google.

But if you find a forum like this please share.
>>
>>6467781
What do you need it to do?
>>
>>6467792
I want to duplicate a motu figure.
But using the same resin for all the body parts. I've seen someone using 65D for the figure and 45D for clothes or armor.
>>
>>6469071
The body might be fine but watch out for the joints. Casting resin is generally weaker than thermoplastic in some way unless it's the hardcore industrial kind
>>
>>6436198

would you ever be down for a "contract commission"?
>>
>>6469071
>>6469125

with 65d i dont think that would be a problem, since is somewhat flexible.

You can also use the smooth cast TASK series, they are resins designed to be used as industrial parts and prototyping. Smooth On sells one that has similar characteristics to ABS plastic.
>>
File: Photo 8-8-17, 7 47 16 PM.png (3MB, 2288x1012px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 8-8-17, 7 47 16 PM.png
3MB, 2288x1012px
Alright, I need some advice.
Should I cast this helmet solid in resin or leave it hollowed out? I have never cast anything in resin so I don't know how heavy it'll be. If I cast hollow it means I'll need to mold two separate pieces for the head instead of just one.
It's about 4,3cm tall (1.69 inches I think), about 13cm in circumference at the top.

Any knowledge is help.
>>
Bump to save it.
>>
>>6471840

hollow it, making it a big piece will make it really heavy (relative to the size of the figure of course) and more prone to break.

Make a two part mold.
>>
>>6479449
try to make it a 1mm wall thickness, then try the two mold cast.

or you can try to roto mould it
>>
>>6479449
>>6481423
I'm probably going to make a single piece mold for all the pieces, try and get a good one cast and they use the resin pieces to make a two piece.
This oil clay is fairly sturdy but still softer than the likes of Monster Clay and I don't want to mess it up when making the plasticine bed.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.