[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there still toys out there that have potential to cost thousands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: s-l16001.jpg (166KB, 800x1175px) Image search: [Google]
s-l16001.jpg
166KB, 800x1175px
Are there still toys out there that have potential to cost thousands of dollars after a while or has that kind of thing pretty much stopped around the early 90s? I went through a few lists of valuable figures out of curiosity and noticed there aren't really much from the 2000s and up.

I open the shit out of everything I buy these days since most of them are brand new and made this year or the past 2+ years and I get a blast playing with them and keeping them in top condition on my shelves with weekly cleaning, but I can't help wonder if some will go up in value one day which could make me wish I kept an extra mint one
>>
>>6422677
The toy collector boom happened in the nineties, so basically everything since then has had people like us sitting on some in the hopes they would appreciate.

So obviously, they didn't. Retro stuff appreciated because less was made, and hardly anyone thought to collect. Once the collectors market opened, and tens of thousands of units were produced, you will never see that kind of thing happen again with anything retail.
>>
>>6422677
Very unlikely for off-the-shelf products. Diecasting and injection molding require the manufacturer to sell tens of thousands units in order to make a profit off the molds, so the sheer volume of these toys ensure that they will never rise by much.
>>
>>6422677

Not really. Outsourcing to china epidemic has hit most every country at this point and Quality Control has hit rock bottom.
>>
What about toys like Nendos, Figmas & Figuarts? In particular the Tomoko Nendo goes for 70+ now and it doesn't look like it'll be re-released.
>>
>>6422677
Any rarity today is artificial. There are a horde of scalpers that buy up every figure they deem to have the potential to be in demand and charge 2x on ebay. After you account for gas money + time used to acquire their inventory they make about 10% profit on each figure. These scalpers will not be stopped. They have wives with money or live with their parents so they can keep up the charade that their hobby makes them money. Hasbro could have stopped this years ago by selling direct but the scalpers figured that out too and the limited quantity made available is purchased instantly.
>>
>>6422780
That's a really minor price increase all things considered. Price jumps are in the tens of dollars. Sometimes hundreds, but that is usually reserves for something that was hundreds in the first place. OP was more asking about the potential for thousands of dollars.

It's like the difference of having a toy that cost $2 be worth thousands vs. having $2000 worth of figures that you could make $5000 off of. Certainly some profit to be made, but far from enough to be worth the initial investment if all you cared about was some extra money.
>>
yes its still the case and people that think its scalpers are probably bitter retarded.
Basically what happens
Low quantity is made.
Legitmate collectors buy it all out
Legitmate collectors tend to hold onto stuff almost indefinately.
Therefore the amount in circulation is tiny and the price rises.

Ive seen people ask things like if its that easy why doesn't everyone do it. They miss the point the scarcity and demand is caused by collectors themselves.
>>
How the fuck can you expect anything to increase in value ten fold when there's a bajillion of them? You need to find true rarities, like factory mistakes. I went to Target a month ago and found an ASM2 Spider-Man Marvel Legends figure inside of a Captain America ML box, and it even had an old Toy Biz Mojo BAF piece instead of an Onslaught piece. It's a one in a million factory mistake. Goodbye, college loan debt!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (177KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
177KB, 1280x720px
>>6422946
that's cool man but have you seen the rare vintage vulture that was accidentally packaged with ultimate spidey
>>
>>6422780
They will mostly end up like the late 1990s-early 2000s waifu merchandise is now, pretty much worthless. You can walk into any secondhand otaku store in Japan and swim in a giant bin of outdated dating sim goods.
>>
>>6422677
Short answer: No.

The boom and bust already happened in the 90s and early 2000s. Adults with discretionary money that grew up in the 60s/70s got nostalgic and started buying up toys from that time.

Due to the fact that toys from the time were not as made in large numbers, and the shit QC resulted in a lot of rare "Variants" A lot of older toylines skyrocketed in price.
There's also the supply/demand. Like I said supply is low, most people back then opened their toys and played with them so there's a (comparatively) very small amount of MoC examples of most of those toylines that are considered classic.
There were also several examples of truly limited product like mail-away figures.

Nowadays production waves are gigantic, and anything labeled as a "special" release or "limited" release isn't. It's just like the same boom and bust for the comics and card industries. People saw what happened and in the 90s people were hoarding product like crazy but because of that there is no demand for it.
Nostalgia filter aside most of the toys rom the 90s aren't that great even. While there are some examples of 80s toys like TMNT and GiJoe that have some valuable pieces there were probably never again be a huge price jump like we saw with Star Wars....for example.

Also it depend son the purpose of your question. If you're looking to "invest" in collectibles you're looking int he wrong place. Put your money in an IRA market account or Mutual Fund.

However, if you insist. Personally IMO I think that things that are truly limited like popular Kickstarter lines will probably be expensive in the future. Stuff like Boss Fight, Mythic Legions, and so on. They're high quality and relatively limited.
Or Lego. Lego just never loses value if you keep it New in Box. Lego is pretty good about not doing reissues so if you miss a set or theme while it's on shelves, it's GONE. Over time lego is the best by far at keeping money.
>>
>>6422780
See >>6422868
Rarity on those products is just artificial. If a product is popular enough companies can and will re-release product. They're just vanity figures basically because the price is artificially inflated.
I've got my SHF TMNT for $40 each on ebay despite MSRP being almost twice that.
>>
File: Mezco Armored Batman.jpg (174KB, 628x786px) Image search: [Google]
Mezco Armored Batman.jpg
174KB, 628x786px
>>6423584
You forgot Comic Con exclusives.
Most of them go up in price, and the few that dont retain their value.
>>
>>6422700
The exact same thing happened with baseball cards.
>>
I don't believe they're made in the millions. That's just something Hasbro says to convince people to go along with price hikes, like "boo hoo oil is 'spensive" and "boo hoo molds r lost." But there is a much higher percentage of collectors keeping stuff boxed. All balanced against poorfags who drag their feet for years and expect a bargain to reward their sloth.
>>
>>6422677
>that watermark
>>
>>6424770
I thought it would be hilarious to use because of the watermark
>>
>>6423256

This. The only things that price jump like mad in Japan are kaiju vinyl. All the anime stuff is a slow boat to being worth nothing.

Even for evergreen stuff like Dragonball, Sailormoon or Evangelion. Old shit from Japan just gets replaced by nicer looking stuff as time goes by and no one wants the outdated ones. There's no nostalgia factor driving the 'retro fugly' collecting like you have in the USA.

The thing that made Star Wars explode in price is pire supply. Lots of 80s kids destroyed their SW toys which raised rarity for the product. Anything with a built in 'collector' market will not see that happen again.

If you wanna invest? Try to go for some kids toyline where the original generation of fans will hit working life in the next 5 years.

Of course, if someone makes new figures, you're screwed.
>>
>>6425080
>Of course, if someone makes new figures, you're screwed

Which is why you shouldn't even bother. Almost all of the franchises that were popular when we were kids are still popular today.

Transformers, Marvel, DC, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Lego. These brands just don't stop. The companies that own them will keep resurrecting them for the next generation.

I honestly would not be surprised to hear of He-man getting a new cartoon in like five years or so.

>Lots of 80s kids destroyed their SW toys

And they still do. Which is why they make cheapo toys that no collector would want. Marvel Legends aren't meant for kids. Their price tag should be enough to scare off any parent.
> oh but look honey, this spider-man here is cheaper. I'll let you get two of these kind if you don't get that one.

So you're right about the built-in collectors market thing. And as for the toys that are specifically made for kids? Completely worthless
>>
>>6425080
>There's no nostalgia factor driving the 'retro fugly' collecting
Except Bullmark and all these other 60's/70's looking vinyl kaiju. You brought up kaiju right in the first line!
>>
>>6424588
You're correct but even here the scarcity is purely artificial. I consider con exclusives separately because they are on their own playing field so to speak. The only primary market availability is in-person at cons...and even then the price is inflated simply because something is an exclusive.
Unless you have the money to spend to continually and consistently attend cons (which, honestly at that point your discretionary budget is so high it probably is irrelevant) you have to rely on the mercy of the secondary market and that negates the point of speculating on stuff. (Assuming that is OP's Intention)
>>
>>6425156
While that's True Lego holds its value fantastically

>Which is why they make cheapo toys that no collector would want.
This. The 5 poa bullshit that is becoming common wil never be valuable. Maybe 50 years from now on nostalgia but there is such a colossal amount of it MOC untouched that is highly unlikely.
>>
>>6425321
>you have to be rich to attend conventions
third worlder or fly over stater?

And it's hard to say it's artificially scarce, as most companies wouldn't beable to sell a ton of units at the conventions. Most everyone who goes there can get what they want.
It's basically only limited because of the amount of people they can sell it to. Anything more is a huge burden to these companies, since many of them don't have actual warehouses for themselves and usually get distributed to actual retailer distributors in temporary places.
>>
>>6425362
Not that anon but even PA is shit for cons. There are very few to start with and none that have exclusives. So yeah if you want exclusives, you're stuck going to NYC or CA which does add up.

Hell, even nothingburger cons these days are charging $30 a day and half of them are flea markets full of broken old toys priced like artifacts from Tut's tomb.
>>
>>6425362
>third worlder or fly over stater?

>Today on 4chan, an anon pretends they are wealthy!
>>
>>6425156
My parents were always the opposite. They would rather spend more on something higher quality than less on something I didn't really want.
>>
>>6425801
Just the opposite.

Guy's trying to claim that people who regularly go to conventions need to be wealthy, which is totally untrue. But in the eyes of third worlders and people in shitty states, i guess you have to be wealthy to visit places with worthwhile conventions.

I guess this is the reason why smaller conventions like Botcon and Joecon move around or PAX adding new venues.
Sure, not every convention is big enough to get Hasbro or Mattel to even show up, muchless produce an exclusive, but other makers do make exclusives anyway. Some companies just produce generic "Convention Exclusives" that aren't unique to a single convention, but are limited and valuable nonetheless.
>>
>>6425326
Well, Lego is the exception.

They're already pretty expensive toys to begin with. And it's well known that once Lego discontinues a set, they won't be making it again.

So it makes sense why aftermarket Legos can go for a lot. And you don't have to wait nearly as long for a return on your investment
>>
>>6425911
Are your parents collectors as well?

Because I am, and I personally would not (well it depends on my kid's age). If my kid is say younger than ten, he or she will most likely break a Marvel Legends figure within a month, because these nice collectibles aren't meant to stand up to the kind of punishment a kid will put it through.
>>
>>6425212

I don't think they're fugly. Not for kaiju, anyway.

The thing is, their retro market isn't very mainstream. Apart from ultraman, kaiju and some small selection of stuff (tatsunopro, gegege kitaro etc) there isn't a lot of it being applied to everything else.

Very different from the retro fugly trend set by Super 7 and Hot Topic with their simulated / vintage repros.
>>
Toys are worth whatever the sucker you are selling to is willing to pay for it.
>>
>>6422677
It says "PLEASE DO NOT COPY"

So why did you copy it? Care to explain??
>>
>>6422677
The big hurdle to overcome is everyone expects the stuff to appreciate, so many keep everything in package, which prevents the sheer volumes of it from appreciating.

Plus you don't have the millions upon millions of kids playing with the stuff and destroying what gets made as many of them would rather have a smartphone than toys.

Hoestly if you want big money investment I'd invest in the things people couldn't afford, mainly the high-end LEGO sets like the death star, star destoyer, and Jawa sand crawler.

In the long run they'll end up being like the GI Joe aircraft carrier and space shuttle complex in terms of value.

>>6422700
I don't think there'll ever be the kind of collector's explosion like what happened in the late 90's.

BUT stuff does gradually appreciate. The late 90's POTF2 vehicles that are reissue original trilogy ones are starting to appreciate, as are the early-to-mid 2000's Hasbro GI Joe vehicle reissues.
>>
>>6426337
Some people have real world expenses because they don't live with their parents (before you get booty blasted, there's nothing inherently wrong with living with family). And they have to work. Which means that money going towards travel from, say, Florida to San Diego Comic Con means taking time off of work and then spending possibly 2-3 months worth of rent for travel and hotel within a reasonable distance (add money if renting a car). Then account for money to spend on convention exclusives and impulse buys.

For that much money I could just pay rent a month or two ahead, buy a new gun, and then have some money set aside in case of an emergency expense.
>>
>>6424588
Unless its transformers or marvel where the only thing exclusive about it is the box.
>>
>>6439475
>BUT stuff does gradually appreciate. The late 90's POTF2 vehicles that are reissue original trilogy ones are starting to appreciate, as are the early-to-mid 2000's Hasbro GI Joe vehicle reissues.
I own some of those Joe vehicles and I think I paid maybe $10-20 over original retail for a lot of them. That's not a lot but it is a general rise. I think it helps that Hasbro has stopped producing O-ring figures entirely.
>>
>>6439804
TF still does exclusives that are unique. Look at that Primitive Optimus Prime black repaint, it's pretty dope and I'm trying to get one for like $50.
>>
File: 1500764579875.jpg (179KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1500764579875.jpg
179KB, 900x1200px
>>6425801
Mein sides!!
>>
>>6422677
There's a few Hot Toys figures from 2011-2013 that were so limited they've skyrocketed in value.

Iron Man Mark III Silly Thing (gunmetal grey variant) - about $1k
Iron Man Mark IV Secret Project (gunmetal grey) - $700
War Machine Mark I Milk (monotone) - $500

Leonidas, Whiplash, Davey Jones and the DX Ledger Jokers all fetch a pretty penny too.
>>
I was able to sell off a collection of mighty max toys in 2011 for like 3 grand. They were all carded and boxed. and i soled the uncarded and onboxed stuff a few years later for like 1600. i still have a little left too
>>
>>6424766
Lego set production runs are confirmed to be a minimum of 10.000. Sets that only had 10.000 produced were the Female scientists set, Ideas Mars Rover and initially the Exo-Suit with the Retro Spacemen.

The Research Institute got the 10.000 run only because Lego knew they have a shelf-warmer on their hands so it sold out immediately but does only surpasses its original price by a couple dollars.

The Mars rover was one of the first Ideas sets and stayed on the site for a year or two, moving at a snails pace. Now the set fetches prices of upwards of around 150 to 200$ compared to its intital 30 or 40$

The Exo-Suit got a second run because niggers bought up the entire stock because they combined a love for the Spaceman in the Lego Movie with a love for 80s Space lego in general but the additional run(s ?) was around for quite some time and now the set is barely worth the original asking price with most listings rotting at 5€ more the 35€ original price and used ones barely getting 25 bucks.

Sometimes niche products really are niche products.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.