[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Kind of shelf do you recommend for displaying your figures?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

What Kind of shelf do you recommend for displaying your figures?

I have pic related and anytime I bump into it I end up knocking over several figures off the shelf and Im getting pretty annoyed with it.
Ive been looking into getting one of those ikea glass display cases but are they worth it?
>>
>>6411185
>knocking over several figures off the shelf
You should invest in stands. The human form isn't very stable with just two feet.

>ikea glass display cases
Generally you'd want an enclosed display to reduce dust gathering on your toys. The ikea one is probably one of the cheaper options because you need to build it yourself.
>>
Those Ikea Detolfs are great for the price, but all you really need is something appropriate for whatever toys you collect. The more high-end your collection, the better the shelves you invest in should be. That said, even if you're collecting low end stuff like Marvel Legends or Transformers you should probably avoid something like particle board.
>>
where is your shelf located that makes bumping into it such a common occurrence? upgrade either way, but maybe consider moving it
>>
Sturdy display case with a decent seal to reduce dust. In Ikea terms this means no Detolf types. More along the lines of a Fabrikor or Hemnes.
>>
Personally, I make sure to give my shelf a very heavy and low center of gravity. Put a bunch of thousands long books at the bottom and the entire thing won't budge.
>>
>>6411208
Yknow for where its located I shouldnt be bumping into it as often. I have it in a little tightly spaced nook in my room
Its hard to describe and im not home to take a pic.
The reason I bump into it is because I have an outlet next to it but that outlet is behind my dresser thats right next to the shelf.
I dont use it as much now because my figure collection has grow alot since I got this shelf
>>
>>6411293
I didnt think to add some kind of heavy weight at the bottom. That might help haha
>>
>>6411192
>Invest in stands
I probably should do that haha. I have like 2 really unstable figmas that constantly tackle my other figures to the ground whenever I bump into the damn thing.
I wish there was an Ikea close to were I live. Im scared to order one online cuz I fear the glass shattering on the way over. The closest Ikea near me is like an hour an a half away
>>
Look up CURIO CASE
>>
File: asian-bookcases.jpg (77KB, 584x640px) Image search: [Google]
asian-bookcases.jpg
77KB, 584x640px
My dream display
>>
File: 92efad5dcb7e9d02887ff0abed4e8a64.jpg (288KB, 900x1089px) Image search: [Google]
92efad5dcb7e9d02887ff0abed4e8a64.jpg
288KB, 900x1089px
>>6411209
I hate the legs on a Fabrikor so much, I would stub my toes on that shit all the time.

I lined my Detolf doors with weather stripping (though it was the pile type, not the foam kind in this photo). It was like 7 bucks for a 17 foot roll of it. My house is extremely dusty and this has made my life significantly easier.

/toy/ really should have a masterpost for pimping out your detolf
>>
Waddell makes some good ones but they're goddamn EXPENSIVE. Like you're talking 4-5k
>>
>>6411613
>I lined my Detolf doors with weather stripping

thats a good idea
>>
>>6411626
I did that, its hard it takes some careful hand-work or you end up with adhesive on the glass forever
>>
File: Bullshit.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Bullshit.gif
2MB, 480x360px
I ordered my detolf about a year ago and also got the circular lightning accessory that came recommended with it.
I figured that the top would come pre-drilled or that there'd be some pilot holes to make a detachable space. But there was nothing - it was a solid square piece of wood. So I can't install it without manually cutting a hole in the top of the shelf and I don't have the woodworking tools for that.
So now it's just sitting there in the packaging mocking me.
It's a damn shame as well because I've got some really nice models that would benefit from lightning.

Are LED strips my only option? Because if I get those then that means having wires running down the length of the shelf and I'd prefer to avoid that.
>>
>>6411643
So it turns out they changed the detolf design recently. I recently added two more shelves to my display and they dont seem they have that anymore. That being said just invest in a drill.
>>
>>6411647
>I recently added two more shelves to my display and they dont seem they have that anymore.
I've never seen that. Every detolf that I've seen has always had 4 shelves (the base and the 3 glass) and they were never modular - you couldn't add extra parts to the top or bottom. And the frame only had a certain number of rods so you couldn't add more shelves inside either
>>
>>6411643
lucky, only thing I hated about the detolf was the pre drilled hole on top for the light.
I was going to get the lights but I changed my mind and now I can't find my caps for the hole
>>
>>6411643
>invest in a drill.
do it, it doesn't hurt to have some tools at home.
all ways come in handy in the future.
>>
>>6411643
>>6411647
>>6411669

>invest in a drill

Listen to the wise words of this swole ass negro. As a man, you need a toolbox and powertools
>>
>>6411700
forgot link, d'oh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkAmsiwLfBI
>>
>>6411613
I have larger figs (Hot Toys, RAH, ThreeZero) and props so the shelf loads and protection offered by a Detolf would still be a no-go.

For safety reasons the shelf load should be many multiples higher than the actual weight of your stuff on them. A better protective wooden frame (Hemnes) or thicker glass/metal (Fabrikor) frame is also essential. Granted I wouldn't care as much for cheaper stuff but definitely seconding >>6411200:
>The more high-end your collection, the better the shelves you invest in should be.
>>
I personally will not use glass displays. California is earthquake country and while I'm certain they will fall off the shelf if a big one hits, at least heavy slabs of glass won't fall on top of them.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50263838/#/30279784

This billy bookcase in birch veneer is what I'm using. At first I was hesitant to buy it because it looked really tall in person, but the imposing stature actually gives off a nice feel in the room. It also came with wall fasteners so it doesn't tip over.

Since it's not a glass display case, I can put non-toy stuff in the bottom-most and top-most shelf (which are terrible heights to display anything at) and it doesn't look weird.
>>
>tfw no Ikeas near by
>Detolfs aren't affordable because the fuckhuge shipping rates from Ikea and third parties
>>
File: 71WB9AJimGL._SL1500_.jpg (88KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71WB9AJimGL._SL1500_.jpg
88KB, 1500x1500px
Two of these because I'm not a pussy whos afraid to dust his collection
>>
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19020480/
>>
>>6412415

Sadly, no ikea in my country
>>
File: 20170709_221527.jpg (277KB, 958x406px) Image search: [Google]
20170709_221527.jpg
277KB, 958x406px
I still need to get some detolfs, but for now I have a few wall shelves.
>>
What is good sealed case for poorfag who lives in apartment infested with bugs?
>>
>>6412345
Fucking this. 69.99 with freaking $120 shipping from ikea
>>
>>6412441
Christ, is it me, or are transformers the ugliest things to display.

Sorry bud, I love the back lighting and you have a good set up, With the colors and height of the figures.

But god damn, transformers always look ugly when displayed. Yes there are exceptions, but for the most part, they all look like a broken toy glued together, or just a block chunk of plastic.
>>
>>6411643
>solid square piece of wood
>Ikea
>solid piece of wood
I wish my man
>>
File: FUG.png (45KB, 1026x429px)
FUG.png
45KB, 1026x429px
>>6420217
>$120 shipping

You lucky bastard.
>>
>>6420690
Holy fucking shit dude
>>
>>6420690
pick a closer ikea you dip, also in all honesty it's more cost effective to buy a bunch of crap from ikea than a single product since shipping will be the same amount.
>>
>>6411639
Never heard of lighter fluid to get adhesive off glass?

>>6412345
I looked at ordering a $16 floor protector for my office chair. $16, with $130 for shipping. Are you fucking kidding me?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.