[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best Devilman figure that isn't his classic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

Is this the best Devilman figure that isn't his classic version or have I missed one? Does anyone know if this is worth the $100+?
>>
>>6382233
I own it. It's great to look at. Colors are perfect, the wingmembranes are semi-transparent.
Articulation; the wings make his torso heavy, so some poses are hard to do. Legs come loose really fast.

The painting and sculpt are awesome though. If you don't mind spending a lot of time posing it, it's easily worth the money. Make sure to use a stand with it.
>>
>>6382265
How loose are we talking with the legs?
>>
>>6382271
One of them falls off really easily while posing. I read others having the same issue. It's also really easy to get it back in the socket, but still it's a bit of bad design. On the other hand, this is the final action figure made by the designer before he died. And it does look really nice on display.

So if you want to play with your figures a lot, skip it. If you want to pose it and display it; get it.
>>
>>6382973
Any other decent Devilman figures out there, then? It seems like there should be more than I'm finding.
>>
>>6382979
Not really. There was a classic Devilman by Figuarts, but I didn't like it's design.
This is the most bad-ass looking Devilman figure.
>>
File: 549423.jpg (108KB, 600x906px) Image search: [Google]
549423.jpg
108KB, 600x906px
>>6382979
figma just showed off a gray prototype of the Takeya Devilman recently. So maybe wait for that one?

There is Sentinel one as well but it has it's own share of issues and probably costs a ton now since it came out a while back. The base on that thing is fucking sick though.
>>
>>6382993
Will this one come with wings?
>>
>>6382993
Not my favorite design but I may still get it if there's nothing else out there.
>>
>>6382979
Depends on if you want it to look anything like the original character.
There are a ton of Devilman figures out there but nothing that looks even a bit like the manga.
>>
File: ffb8d6b4ed80ec21681dcd52edb290a6.jpg (381KB, 751x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ffb8d6b4ed80ec21681dcd52edb290a6.jpg
381KB, 751x1024px
>>6383020
>>6382995
>>6382979
There's also the Kaiyodo Violence Action Figure ones. Limited articulation but it's a good likeness to the OVAs
>>
>>6382994
It better..
>>
>>6391417
I love this one! What scale?
>>
>>6391513
It's like 6 and a half inches to the top of the head, 8 to the top of the wings. Towers over figmoes and the like but so does the character, so it checks out
>>
>>6391417
Why is it painted like a dollar store toy?
>>
>>6391733
Probably because it was dirt cheap and isn't even slightly comparable to modern day import lines? You have to remember that before McFarlane inspired toy companies to do more detailed sculpt/paint a lot of stuff from that time looked bad. Then ToyBiz inspired them to add tons of articulation. Imports are only as good as they are now because of McFarlane and ToyBiz.

Also Kaiyodo made really low grade toys even when things were improving because they wanted to be the cheapest.
>>
>>6391740
McFarlane was responsible for a lot of things, but he mostly inspired the Western market. I was buying a lot of Japanese hobby mags in the early to mid 90s, and there were already mindblowing sculptors working back then. Takeya was already on the scene, for example, and his shit absolutely annihilated what McFarlane was doing for the first few years. I still think Takeya's work is better than anything McF ever did, but at least the sculpting improved to a level where it could compete in later years.

As for articulation, Japan was pushing boundaries on that shit LONG before Toy-Biz. Remember the figures we got for the original Power Rangers, the ones brought over from Japan? With thigh and bicep swivels, hinge ankles and wrists, ball hips and shoulders, and even articulated fingers? That was in the early 90s, when McFarlane was still 7 POA figures and Toy-Biz was bouncing between 5-9 POA.
>>
>>6391754
>McFarlane was responsible for a lot of things, but he mostly inspired the Western market. I was buying a lot of Japanese hobby mags in the early to mid 90s, and there were already mindblowing sculptors working back then. Takeya was already on the scene, for example, and his shit absolutely annihilated what McFarlane was doing for the first few years. I still think Takeya's work is better than anything McF ever did, but at least the sculpting improved to a level where it could compete in later years.
I'm not sure why you're making this into an argument about sculptors and artistic quality. McFarlane didn't change how people sculpted, he changed their understanding of what could be done with action figures in regards to mold detail retention in toy grade plastics. Also for pushing the limits of paint applications to accentuate those details that weren't done before him in THOSE SPECIFIC MATERIALS. He has been directly credited by Japanese companies and collectors alike for being the guy who made toy companies realize it was possible. I don't know why you're bringing up sculptors in general like it has anything to do with this conversation.

>As for articulation, Japan was pushing boundaries on that shit LONG before Toy-Biz.
Oh lord. Here we go again. Figures with articulation existed before then but they flopped because kids didn't care. ToyBiz created the modern adult collectors market that inspired high quality import figures to push for as much articulation and accessories as possible. The figures themselves didn't directly do amazing in Japan but it inspired Japanese companies to aim for adult collector markets with ACTION FIGURES. Once again...Japanese companies have acknowledged the contributions our markets have made for them and how it's inspired them to do better.
>>
>>6382271
Mine is pretty sturdy. It's not super easy to pop off and usually only falls off on me if I'm doing crazy poses or putting it under stress. It fits in easily.
>>
>>6382993
The wings on the head look too goofy and the boner looks stupid.
>>
>>6391769
>Japanese companies
>Japanese companies
>Japanese companies
>Japanese companies
(source needed)
>>
>>6391733
Probably because it's a strange variant. It's usually either the normal colors or the manga (blue/purple) coloring.
This specific figure has a shit ton of different variants. It's not too bad, though the tail is a bit fragile.
>>
>>6391513
ML scale. With the wings on he calls over a but.
I do like the scale of the VAH a bit more so because of how tall he is. Stands above most ML figures, but just under Hulk/Larger Marvel Legends.
Considering his height in most media, he seems to be in the 6-8" tall range.
>>
>>6382233
I'd like a figure that more accurately captured Nagai's art. >>6382993 looks kind of cool in that Takeya kind of way, though. I can't tell if that's just a ridge that comes up or if that's actually a penis.
>>
>>6392985
I do imagine devils to have giant dicks.
>>
It is interesting what size they choose to do Devilman figures, because he is actually huge in the manga. Looks like he is 4, 5m tall at times. Maybe the original form of the Demon race were giants before they got their merging on.

But because his design is so human-like you expect him to be of similar size with other human characters. SIC or PAK size would actually be appropriate next to 1/12 figures. That said I do want a 6inch-ish Devilman that isn't TV ver. inspired. Crybaby might bring us something, meanwhile I hope the movie ver figma won't be at rape price.
>>
>>6393270
>>6393270
From what I've seen just from reading most of the official stuff released like Devilman vs Hades and Getter Robo vs Devilman, it seems like he's usually around 6-8 foot tall at base height, but seemingly has height manipulation.

Devilman has a weird osmosis of other powers from sonic-screams and telekinesis to fire-breath and electricity emination. I wouldn't doubt the height thing varies, but it's certainly an excuse to have different figs in different scales.
>>
>>6391815
Not going to go dig that shit up when you're clearly being combative about it and will just ignore any sources I provide anyway. You can literally go look up translated interviews from both Bandai and Max Factory saying that western companies do some things better than them and it inspired them both in today's market and in the past.

It's common knowledge among long time toy collectors that ToyBiz helped create the demand for adult collectibles that were aimed at adults from day one rather than collected by adults but aimed at children. It's well known fact that McFarlane is responsible for trying stuff with molds that even the factories didn't think was possible which led to huge advances in sculpt quality.
>>
File: devil1.jpg (146KB, 483x720px) Image search: [Google]
devil1.jpg
146KB, 483x720px
It's obviously Sentinel's.
>>
>>6395610
Face isnt my thing at all.
>>
>>6395610
That's not even Devilman. It's Amon.
>>
>>6395637
Did Amon punch Jinmen's shell?
>>
File: 7b984ddb574e9dfbeb0f3abf990bbcf0.jpg (277KB, 1024x803px) Image search: [Google]
7b984ddb574e9dfbeb0f3abf990bbcf0.jpg
277KB, 1024x803px
>>6395610
Looks like a cool figure but doesn't scream Devilman as loudly as I wish it did.
>>
File: ME0016988_01.jpg (48KB, 600x692px) Image search: [Google]
ME0016988_01.jpg
48KB, 600x692px
>>6382233
I am so tempted that or the other color. Idk which is better...
>>
>>6397996
Whatever floats your boat. I think the green/purple one looks way cooler.
>>
>>6397996
It's not a great figure by all means.
>>
I just want it because I loved Nirasawa and I believe this was the last action figure he designed before he passed away. It wasn't even released till after his death.
>>
File: FIGURE-030865.jpg (190KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-030865.jpg
190KB, 600x600px
>>6398233
Well, they are still releasing some Ultraman statues he worked on too. But yeah not really toys.
>>
>>6398233
>>6398241
I wish they'd make Figuarts of some of his kaijin designs. Especially the Worms from Kabuto.
>>
>>6398262
There're at least 50 kaijins that needs SHFs, so...
>>
>>6395610
Shitty, tiny wings, and shittier joints. The hip joint broke from it's own weight apparently, just standing on 3 points including the tail and like 6 months late I picked it up and it fell apart.

I think weak joints was the common complaint at the time iirc.

Looking forward to figma, Revoltech would've been ideal as Zetman was practically a Devilman action figure.
>>
>>6398334
I like the wings, but definitely, the joints suck balls, very fragile.
What sucks the most is the useless gripping arms of the base
>>
Oh....he comes with nothing? and doesn't have pupils? I thought he did. would look cooler if he did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5EuJTtMe-s
>>
File: 171826u2r8s2zjspdco9aq.jpg (60KB, 640x471px) Image search: [Google]
171826u2r8s2zjspdco9aq.jpg
60KB, 640x471px
>>6398844
I might as well get this one instead lol comes with a lot more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ltGv3cxAtI
>>
File: daruma_making4.jpg (23KB, 285x192px) Image search: [Google]
daruma_making4.jpg
23KB, 285x192px
>>6398844
>doesn't have pupils?

Problem solved.
>>
>>6398957
For a 100+ figure...I would not want to do that.
>>
>>6398262
A few different Horrors from Garo would be nice, too.
>>
In terms of articulation that looks to have the most of the other figures beat. IMO the Fewture line had the best Devilman figures.
>>
>>6382994
GSC exclusive
>>
>>6391813
>>6392985
It's a sheathe.

It is where his dick would come out.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.