[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: figures that we shouldn't like, but do. pic very much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: spawn_iii.jpg (126KB, 981x800px) Image search: [Google]
spawn_iii.jpg
126KB, 981x800px
ITT: figures that we shouldn't like, but do.

pic very much related- there's very little in the way of useful articulation, the accessories make no sense, and my exposure to the source material is limited to a couple episodes of the old animated series.
>>
>>6376803
Why should you not like it? It looks awesome
>>
>>6376803
The animal buddies were kinda weird, but the axe looked cool. It was reasonably well articulated for a figure of its time...it had all the basic points of articulation, and I think it might have even had swivel wrists and waist? The cape/wings looked fucking AMAZING and the deploy action feature actually worked and looked cool. His eyes even lit up!! Basically if 10th Anniversary Spawn had never come out, I would say this is the best "basic" Spawn figure of all time. I still have mine in storage, never gonna sell it or get rid of it.
>>
>>6378280
people are stupid and think articulation >sculpt/paint.

some of you fucks need to realize that without mcfarlane we wouldn't be here.
>>
>>6378291
If McFarlene hadn't done highly detailed sculpts on toys someone else eventually would have.
>>
>>6378291
I can't play with sculpt and paint
>>
>>6378297
Yeah, I'm sure it would have happened, but there's no telling how long that might have taken. It could have set the toy industry back for untold years. Toy sculptors used to be told not to make their sculpts too detailed, cause it would probably be lost or degraded in the molding process anyway. Then Todd comes along, and out of either ignorance or bravado, decides to do it anyway, and proves it entirely possible. He starts making the most incredible looking toys anyone in the western toy market has ever seen, and everyone else starts scrambling to catch up.

Todd's influence was even felt a bit outside the US...the Spawn toyline heavily influenced Yasuhiro Nightow, who would go on to create a fuck-awesome amazing Trigun line in the spirit of McFarlane toys, and eventually, the Revolver joint and Assemble Borg for Kaiyodo.

In the end you can always make the argument "someone would have eventually." But what's the point in that? Todd did. So we should be grateful. Even if he's lost his way since.
>>
File: muckman.jpg (56KB, 575x704px) Image search: [Google]
muckman.jpg
56KB, 575x704px
>>6378297
>If McFarlene hadn't done highly detailed sculpts on toys someone else eventually would have.
You're acting like the toy industry hadn't been around for over a hundred years and a hundred million toy companies weren't producing a hundred bazillion doys every year.

Here's a really nice PlayMates toy that's highly detailed, more detail than the majority of toys today.
So we'd have highly detailed toys, but not in the way McFarlane made them.

It's basically expecting a million monkeys on a million typewriters to write Shakespeare.
It's unpossible.

It required an outsider to put up their own capital, start their own toy company, and make something that comic fans want. It's a very special circumstance, that required special market conditions (90s comic boom) for that to happen.
>>
>>6378304
The sculpt is exactly what you're playing with. It's the physical form, including the joints themselves. The articulation points are just the means to manipulate it further, dumdum.
>>
>>6378291
Either over the other is stupid.
>>
>>6378324
Articulation is what allows for play, you oaf. If sculpt/paint were more important I could just get a statue that does nothing and looks better than a toy.
>>
File: atf toys.png (2MB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
atf toys.png
2MB, 1200x675px
>>6378357
>Articulation is what allows for play
nope
>>
>>6378291
LOL

forget chogokin, plamo, deicast cars, 1/6 figures and all the other shit that exist since way before mcfarlaneshit
>>
>>6378792

Except none of those have any bearing at all to why McFarlane toys were so important back in the day.
>>
>>6378360
We're talking about action figures here.

Shitty little army men are terrible examples of sculpt and paint being important since they're underdetailed and unpainted, so good job.
>>
>>6378320
>Playmates
>Muckman
>unpossible

...has...has HE returned?

Will he bring back art and culture?
>>
>>6378324
the manipulation of the figure is the playing though. otherwise it might as well be a statue. What exactly can you even do with the sculpt and paint? look at it? i dont think that counts
>>
>>6376803
>neck
>shoulders
>elbows
>wrists
>thighs
>knees

It's hardly immobile. It's only really missing the waist due to the gimmicks.

The worst part overall are the light up eyes. They lack a plastic insert to diffuse the green so you can only see the inner bulb at some angles. The torso is fused shut and there's no battery cover so once they die that's it. You're better off putting some putty over the eye holes and painting them green. Depending n what you use the light may even still shine through.

The cape is neat but nowhere near as nice as that photo, it's a thin tent-like material cut pretty basic. They only go for about $20-$25 MISB though.

If you want you could probably take the cape off(it's held on by screws) and replace it- the fishtank Burnt Spawn figure has the same body with a basic rubber cape and metal chains. Or buy Spawn 3, the club exclusive Burnt Spawn with masked head but they go for around $100.
>>
>>6378936
>>thighs
>>knees

These are useless without ankles. Even still, they're pretty useless as just a swivel or a hinge.
>>
>>6378357
How do you not understand that the physical joints themselves are part of the sculpt. You don't just have disembodied parts floating together with magnets, the pins, pin holes, and housings are all part of the sculpt.

You fucking retard mongoloid.
>>
>>6378908
>Shitty little army men
whoa whoa whoa now hold on a minute
>>
>>6379005
>How do you not understand that the physical joints themselves are part of the sculpt.

Nobody is disputing that, dipshit. But when you're seperating the two as in >>6378291, you're clearly talking about two different things, nevermind that sculpts are cut up to place joints anyway.

You are dumb as dirt.
>>
>>6379025
>Nobody is disputing that
>>6378304
>I can't play with sculpt and paint
That's exactly the dispute, you fucking retard. You play with the sculpt because the joints are a part of it. Jesus, is your attention span so limited by your fidget spinner that you can't look through the chain of replies?

Go reeee somewhere else, kiddo.
>>
>>6379047
When you argue that one is more important than the other, you are creating a seperation between sculpt and articulation. For all intents and purposes of this discussion they are two seperate things you dense motherfucker.
>>
>>6379047
>Go reeee somewhere else, kiddo

Also, you don't get to say this when you're the aggro weirdo saying shit like >>6379005 in the first place.

I posted >>6378304 by the way. I don't need to read a reply chain to know what I already said.
>>
File: islandraid01.jpg (104KB, 750x345px) Image search: [Google]
islandraid01.jpg
104KB, 750x345px
>>6378946
why are there so many deep autists who care about ankles like they're super duper important?
>>
>>6379266
Please, try to use your hips and knees without moving your feet and ankles and tell us how that works out for you.
>>
>>6379266
Ankle pivots and swivels are necessary so shit doesn't take a nose-dive off my fucking shelf you faggot.
>>
>>6376803
>cape looks like bat symbol...
>>
File: flightstands6.jpg (39KB, 450x525px) Image search: [Google]
flightstands6.jpg
39KB, 450x525px
>>6379310
>>6379273
>all this deep down autism
so those figures on uneven ground prove you guys are crying over nothing and the fact these exist in a hundred dozen forms by almost every toy manufacter in a thousand earths makes your complaints incredibly silly.
>>
>>6379397
Glue all the ankles solid on your figures and then come back to this thread
>>
File: iron man fights.jpg (87KB, 862x488px) Image search: [Google]
iron man fights.jpg
87KB, 862x488px
>>6379435
Nah, I'm fine and never have to worry about ankles, because I'm not autistic for them and have the money to have stands.... despite them coming with nearly every toy.
>>
Oh, it's just subjectautism up to his old tricks again.

Nothing to see here people, let him sperg out about the evils of articulation and plastic stands by himself.

Some of you newfags might think you can talk sense into him but trust me, he just wants (you)s and will do anything for them.
>>
10 poa is more than enough for a kid.
>>
File: star wars new normal.jpg (850KB, 2994x2451px) Image search: [Google]
star wars new normal.jpg
850KB, 2994x2451px
>>6379775
yep
>>
>>6380481
That's five.
>>
>>6379397
Is that one of your famous coat hanger stands subjectanon?
can we please get a glimpse of your collection with all it's coat hangery goodness?
>>
>>6376803
I wish I still had that spawn, it was one of my favourites along with this.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.