[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just heard that anime figures can sweat if I leave them unopened.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: 2017-06-08 15.34.41.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-08 15.34.41.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I just heard that anime figures can sweat if I leave them unopened.

Is this true?

I like buying shit and just leaving them sealed even if the value doesn't necessarily go up. I do it frequently with Nintendo games and consoles.
>>
>>6371463
I heard Nendoroids get sticky if you don't let them breathe because of ''plasticizer" or some shit. I don't know about games or consoles.
>>
>>6371466
What about figures?
>>
>>6371463
I bought an unopened jin roh revo a few weeks ago on a trip to japan and it was a bit "sweaty" feeling when I took it out. I think it could be related to the softer materials used on the figure, but I'm not sure. Like >>6371466 said it it could have also been sprayed with something in the factory. The feeling went away after a bit of posing so it's not something I'd worry about too much if you do plan on opening stuff up.
>>
Yeah, the plasticizers evaporate over time from the soft PVC plastic used in most figures. If they can't evaporate they'll condense on the surface forming an oily layer.

Plasticizers are additives used to change the properties of plastics. It's why the PVC plastic used for toys are rubbery unlike your hard PVC pipes.
>>
>>6371467
All plastics do this.
>>
So do you guys air out your sealed detolf shelves and stuff to deal with this?
>>
>>6371546
Who's taking the time to seal a Detolf airtight?
>>
>>6371557
It probably takes less time to apply some weather stripping than it does to clean the shelves and contents once they get dust-covered.
>>
File: jotaro.gif (979KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
jotaro.gif
979KB, 500x278px
>>6371463
>will being a raging autist bite me in the ass one day?
>>
All figures do it but the time and severity changes based on the type of plastic used. It is simple to clean with warm water and soap if you can disassemble them easily to clean them.

Had to do it for a Super Battle Collection Vegeta and Baby last year that were incredibly greasy and sticky.
>>
>>6371663
Is this a recurring thing or does it only happen once and you're good after washing it?
>>
File: heat.gif (491KB, 500x208px) Image search: [Google]
heat.gif
491KB, 500x208px
>>6371667
Once a figure starts seeping plasticizers, it won't stop until it "dries" up.

Plasticizers coming out usually happens with age. Things that quicken decomposition like heat and light will make it happen sooner than later.

Since all toys will eventually release their plasticizers, there's nothing really you can stop it except keeping everything at room temperature (under 80°) and keeping them out of direct sunlight.

Also, beware of packaging. While you keep them away from air and light, that tight environment means if a toy is seeping plasticizers prematurely (within 10 years), it will all condense.
The fact that packaging is cheaply made also aids in the rapid decomposition of the toys. The plastic trays, bubbles, and foam also release their own gases/chemicals, along with the paper/cardboard (highly acidic), also quickens the deterioration of the plastic.

In addition, some plastics will react negatively to plasticizers, despite that plastic not containing any, which can cause discoloration/scaling/etc.

So if you store your toys in their packaging, keep them in a cool dark place. Invest in AC if you live in an armpit city or country.
>>
>>6371463
i live in a shitty hot house, will my figures on display suffer?
just got into /toy/ this year
>>
fug
I turn my ac off when I'm not in the house and it's been in the high 90s the last few days. Rip toys, time to get out of this hobby
>>
>>6371530
Hard plastics generally won't. Plasticizer is an additive usually added to molten PVC to make it "soft" when cooled. Hard plastics like ABS have some ability to elongate naturally and are used as is.
>>
>tfw my moleass room on my moleman house on my greyass city provides me with a permanently temperate space to store toys
I literally only need a tall, stable detolf to be set for life for this aspect of collecting. No figure of mine has seen the sunlight after getting here.
>>
I suspect there's also some kind of cost saving issue behind the scenes. Elasticizer leak seems to affect toys from the late 80's onwards more than it used to. Stuff like TMNT have it bad far more than vintage Star Wars or MASK etc.

The worst batch seems to be from the eatly 2ks with NECA. My worst ever case of leak was a Nigjtmare B4 Xmas figure that ended up standing ankle deep in a pool of its own elasticizer sweat.
>>
Some of this stuff is rather eye-opening. How do toy/figure collectors deal with this shit? I always figured I'd get into toy collecting casually as a hobby and it seemed fun because I thought it would be low maintenance.
>>
>>6371997
As a long time collector in this 30s, i don't deal with it, because none of my toys have been affected... so far.

The worst that has happend so far are GI Joes from the 80s rubberbands snapping out of nowhere.
>>
>>6371999
So is this a /toy/ myth or something
>>
>>6372002
No, because i don't live in an armpit country or city.
I also keep most of my collection stored away on inside walls (vs closets on a wall facing the sun) or in a storage room outside that gets only about an hour of sun everyday.

I have seen toys in really poor condition still in package from other collectors though.
>>
>>6372002
Not a myth. This is a real thing that will happen to toys. Thing is, it usually takes a long ass time for a figure to be affected. Like a couple decades, even if the figure is MISB.

Unless you leave the figure in direct sunlight, which will cause severe discoloration and leakage sooner. Another thing is if you live in a hot and humid climate that will also speed up the toy degradation.

As for my own experience, I've only run into this a couple times so far. When I bought a MOC Toxic Crusader Headbanger and then opened it, it was sticky all over. I just washed it, and it hasn't felt that way since. Also a couple loose figures I own have parts that are degrading. The hands of Super Naturals Ghostlings, oh and the hands of a talking Kevin McAllister figure.

Thankfully I haven't had anything made in this century start this yet. I guess it makes sense that some early 2000's toys would start showing signs though, based on how they've been stored. As for the more recent stuff cited in this thread like nendo's, IDk since I don't collect them.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.