[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any toy lines you really want to get behind but find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 16

Are there any toy lines you really want to get behind but find yourself just unable to pull the trigger because you know it will be a large investment to commit to?

For me it's the Figma Table Museum. There are so many iconic artworks here and this really is a unique opportunity to have figures of them that really will look neat in a dedicated collection.

What's yours?
>>
>>6341675
I have the Vitruvian Man, Thinker, Angels, and pre-ordered The Scream but I don't have a dedicated collection for them. Just have fun posing them next to your other figures.
>>
File: IMG_1789.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1789.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
If you're unsure, Venus de Milo is fun. Only TTM I have, probably will get the Scream when it's released, maybe Shamefur Dispray. I will so preorder 'The Wife of the Fisherman's Dream' or Venus of Willendorf on Day 1.

The two lines I can't bring myself to invest in yet iare Frame Arms Girls and .Megami Device. I love the looks and the media associated with both lines, but gunpla doesn't do it for me anymore, even if it's moeblobs.
>>
File: IMG_4541.jpg (334KB, 1599x1071px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4541.jpg
334KB, 1599x1071px
>>6341675

I'm chasing the Table Museum right now, don't have a problem pulling the trigger.

I start having issues when it comes to Acid Rain. I'd like to army build and get multiples of the different types but I have an issue paying that much for a 1:18 figure. Not sure why I'd pay the same amount for a Figma but hesitate for Acid Rain. I currently only have one.
>>
>>6341675
I don't have this problem OP, at least with this line. I mean, I kinda see your point since this line doesn't have an "end" per say and they can do this indefinetely. I like to think that in this case, and only in this case, I'm not collecting toys but "mini-arts", so I'm more inclined to keep collecting them. The only one I'm not sure if I'll buy is the Shamefur one because to me he doesn't hold much value and works more like a meme.
>>
>>6341978
And yes, I have them all.
>>
>>6341675
Figma in general.
The prices have gone insane and there's barely any accessories anymore.
>>
File: 27695503201_df5a058fff_h.jpg (357KB, 1600x734px) Image search: [Google]
27695503201_df5a058fff_h.jpg
357KB, 1600x734px
Third party Transformers, but 3P Masterpiece figures specifically. It's just too big a commitment with too many variables at too high a price. You might have what feels like a definitive figure of a character, then a few weeks later another version comes out, then maybe another, official version.Sure, you can sell it off, or maybe the first one is a better figure, but even then the excitement isn't there as much. To that extent,I feel like I've largely burned out on G1 designs,; too many previous attempts cross different lines in different styles that when we do get a perfect version, it doesn't feel as special.

I am loving things that go against the typical trends, like Perfect Effect's Beast Gorira, because no one else is going to make an Optimal Optimus like that.
>>
>>6341984
Can you post a picture please?
>>
>>6341675
Okay, so the Vitruvian Man seems like it has potential for posing as some sort of Lovecraftian body horror experiment gone wrong; anyone got pics?
>>
I just preordered Vitruvian Man because I checked the shop sites and just found out about Figma re-releasing the entire line.

He is pretty great even in the normal configuration, 4 arms and legs make it even better. And because of the truly generic design of a 1500s statue/painting he is far more versatile and fits better to other lines as when you try mixing random movie/tv show toylines.
Especially the normal mode looks like some angry god, just wonderful.

Thanks for sharing, though I don't really see the appeal in having too many naked stone men. In a way Thinker and Davide are so similar, I would be content to just have one or the other and change poses once in a while for the other statue, even if details don't match up.
Maybe a woman would be nice but when looking at the Venus it feels wrong to use her without the skirt and with arms but with it she has no articulation. Every other Venus is more to my liking.

>>6341675
To come to topic I feel like it was a bad idea to start with the Lego Modular houses or Lego houses in general. At first it looked like nice city but now I don't have a large enough table to display my 8 Modulars + Simpsons House, Kwik-E-Mart, Haunted House together and I already bought the Ghostbusters firehouse + another Modular and can only keep them in box but the sticker seal of the unopened modular just opened up by itself last week as if it cries out to finally be built.
>>
>>6341675
Pretty much those. I want them but not willing to press order.
>>
File: poju robot 1.jpg (66KB, 460x800px) Image search: [Google]
poju robot 1.jpg
66KB, 460x800px
>>6341675
It's just not going to happen, I've decided.
>>
>>6343223

Get the grey version?
>>
>>6343224
Shamrock is a gateway drug. I told myself I'd just get him and next thing I noticed there's 6 more polynians on my shelf.
>>
File: Sad.gif (103KB, 500x253px) Image search: [Google]
Sad.gif
103KB, 500x253px
>>6343396

Try being poor, I hear it helps prevent purchasing too much stuff. I know it works for me.
>>
>>6343223
This. But even if the price is pretty high for this, the real problem for me is having to explain to every other person why I own a lewd trapbot, which for all purposes looks like jalbait on top.
>>
>>6344076
Basically the two insurmountable problems I have with the figures.
>>
>>6341675
MOTUC
I've always loved He-Man from the 200X cartoon growing up, but the way the figures are distributed and how late I've missed the boat, the fanbase seems particularly unwilling to sell things or want any newcomers to this specific fandom. With figures raising over at least $50 and the autism of the org site, it's ultimately not even worth it.
>>
File: IMG_20160917_213150.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160917_213150.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>6341675
I got a bootleg it's pretty good
>>
>>6342139
This. I almost shelled out a fortune for IDW figures.

Almost.
>>
>>6343223
The Polynian line definitely belongs in this thread.
White Shamrock is the only one I don't have yet.
I pretty much ended up like >>6343396 after picking up Emil.
>>6344801
>Buy Revoltech loli Alice.
Nobody cares.
>Buy six Polynians including both Clovers and a grey Shamrock.
Nobody says anything.
>Buy a Monster High vinyl.
"What the hell did you buy that for Anon?"
>>6343407
You could try also being irresponsible.
It works for me.
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (477KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
477KB, 1920x1080px
>>6342777
Hi anon. Im really sorry about my delay. Here the pic. If you need another one just ask.
>>
LEGO. I have a really small collection and I love looking at stuff made out of them but I'm just so uninspired to build things with them, and the stuff I want is expensive or I have nowhere to display it.
>>
>>6341675
Well, despite having many pieces, they're really cheap by todays standards.

When they announced the scream l knew I HAD to start the series. But at the same time, I'm skipping the angels because they really mean nothing to me.
>>
>>6344859
How'd you know it's a bootleg?
>>
File: IMG_3456.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3456.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>6341712
Venus is also the only one I have so far. You're almost getting two whole statues worth of her with her extra parts.

Got reissue of Thinker preordered.

>>6348987
Cheaper probably because no licencing fees, and minimal paint details.
>>
>>6342139
same also i want to get me thos perfect effect scouting force x but fuck every place i look wants a 100 bucks for the little fuckers
>>
>>6349094
Not him, but that anon might've bought it off ebay from a seller located in China. Bootlegs on ebay are relatively easy to spot: stock photos orginally from GSC site almost exclusively (actual photos are poorly posed and haphazardly placed in box), any seller located in any part of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Phillipines, and Malaysia is 99% of the time selling a bootleg, in-hand the paint apps are sloppy, joints too-loose/too-tight/break easily, gummy-soft plastic, mold defects and flash, and sloppy application of glue to fasten pieces to parts. Any of those will tell you it's a bootleg.
>>
Is vitruvian man fun to pose?
>>
>>6349372
I like that you have Captain Smollet
>>
File: Vitruvian Man.png (3MB, 1617x1363px) Image search: [Google]
Vitruvian Man.png
3MB, 1617x1363px
>>6349902
>>
File: IMG_3909.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3909.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I've got a few. I've got my foot in the door with the RD Anime figures (packed up in this photo because I'm moving) but I'm mainly interested in getting more of the P Bandai and Exclusives ie the prototype dom and the real type zaku. I don't have the funds at the moment though and I can only see them going up in price. Samw goes for a number of KA signatures and metal compsites but that's a whole different tier of investment.
>>
>>6349924
Alan Davies!
>>
>>6355235
oh my god...
>>
>>6341879
Lucky for you, Oritoy is re-releasing the Sol and Desert at less then 30. I pre-ordered 6 of each.
>>
>>6341675
Assembleborgs. Literally Japanese Lego where the more you collect the more display/play options you have. Sucks that these were not release outside of Japan until recently and some of older ones have skyrocketed in price.
>>
File: 1394983903177.jpg (285KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1394983903177.jpg
285KB, 960x1280px
>>6363438
Actually, they were. The very first wave of Assemble Borgs were made DIRECTLY available in the US on Amazon. They didn't sell very well at all, so they stopped offering the line in the US and that didn't change until recently. Basically, you missed the boat.

Anyway, I would suggest trying the line out anyway. I started with just one, and built up a pretty respectable collection bit by bit. They're tougher to work with than Lego for sure (get some Revolpliers!), but oh man you can make such cool shit with them. Even my dumbass AB part swaps with other Revos look awesome.
>>
>>6341675
Frame Arm Girls. I love the designs but I can never settle down and actually paint them proper so I feel a bit bad just building the kit and leaving it at that.
>>
>>6344859
Not OP, but I haven't had any luck finding a bootleg of the Vitruvian Man yet. All the usual websites I follow seem to have them coming from Japan/USA at genuine product prices.

Anyone else have better luck than me?
>>
Acid Rain
>>
>>6348987
I've got all of them, but the one I wasn't that interested in was Scream. It just doesn't look like it'd be as much fun as the others.
>>
>>6363633
just take a look at how the kits look unpainted and what their decals cover. Stylette for example is not Snap Build friendly with a lot of areas that should be painted to get close to intended look. The Megami Devices are very good on the unpainted looks.
>>
>>6341675
I never bit the bullet on figmas, was never weeb enough i guess (even though that Lum looked really really great).

Recently said fuck it for the plaster Thinker and Venus de Milo though.
As an excuse i tell myself i'll use them as reference for drawing.

I'm also still kicking myself for not buying a Ray Harryhausen Skelly.
>>
File: 14975636396112129545655.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
14975636396112129545655.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Honestly, as an artist, I can't see how artists aren't buying this shit up. Japanese technical display figures of masterpiece anatomy. Also peepee jokes.
>>
>>6374824
Because as a fellow artist, these Figmas don't have the greatest range of motion or proportional accuracy. I have many alternatives for pose references, most of which are better than those. For all-around good posing and proportion, I use a Hot Toys TrueType.

To be honest tho, the need for figures as anatomical models to draw from is waning since there are so many free 3D pose tools available online now. Plus none of them will be as good as going to a life drawing session if you're actually trying to improve.
>>
>>6375354
>none of them will be as good as going to a life drawing session
starting hobbyist drawfag here,
Aren't crazier action-poses rather impractical for life-drawing? It's more that you can use it to set up a display of poses of different characters to figure out wich angles would work out the best with what kind of fov .etc
Less about anatomy, more about foreshortening posing and maybe lighting.

Also salsa on the 3d pose tools? I only ever knew of posemaniacs wich didn't work all that well.
>>
File: IMG_0823.jpg (262KB, 1449x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0823.jpg
262KB, 1449x2048px
This bastard. I'm a super fan of the X series, especially Vile's design. It screams at me "Buy Me! This is the perfect figure!"
Then I see that price tag. I'm saving up for him to continue the internal debate if he's worth it.
>>
>>6375891
>http://piraticoctopus.tumblr.com/post/119875838666/for-anyone-who-wants-a-free-pose-able-human
This one is pretty good and has a lot of options.

And sure, if you're setting up a big fight scene or something, figures might be pretty helpful. But if you're just starting out, I absolutely cannot recommend life drawing enough. You know how they say learn to walk before you run? If you get a decent foundation of life drawing down FIRST, you'll have a much better understanding of how to draw from your toys. Starting out by drawing from a toy might be fun, but you won't improve much (if at all) from it.
>>
Robot Damashi... Came so close to buying the old Zaku II but just never found one for a reasonable price for a long while. I ended up really wanting the RG and then learnt basic gunpla stuff so I can build a Zaku II figure. I must say, other RD toys have tempted me a lot but now I have a hard time justifying the prices when there's so much options with the gunpla releases.
>>
>>6375911
I bought that straight away when it was released

best D arts figure is best D arts figure
>>
>>6341675
For me, motuc.
>>
>>6341675
Really want me the Vitruvian man. Wheres the best place to order for a Western Europe piggu other than amazon? They seem a tad extortionate
>>
>>6377593
There's a second release coming if you don't mind waiting until January of 2018 for it. Pre-order is pretty cheap on amico right now, 5.3K.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-019561
>>
>>6377449
Sounds like my next investment then.
>>
>>6378059
even comes with a rocks glass full of whiskey

nice nod to the manga
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.