[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>reddit the collectable toy I don't get the appeal.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault.jpg (239KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
239KB, 1280x720px
>reddit the collectable toy

I don't get the appeal. They do fucking every brand known to man, they're mass produced, cheap as shit and just overall look tacky. As they so desperately appeal to the "le nerd" sub culture.

I don't get the appeal really they're not a collectable toy becuase there's nothing exclusive about them
>>
The appeal is the they do every brand known to man, they're mass produced and cheap as shit.
>>
>>6336258

I bet you view Beanie Babies as the spawn of satan.
>>
>>6336266
Not at all becuase they had their own unique character their whole appeal wasn't just slap on some branding.

Which I has no problem with McFarland Toys are get but at the same time everything about Funko feels cheap and just about the "$$$" like it feels like it preys on stupid peoples love for media consumption. Don't get me wrong all branded toys do but I feel like funkos feel disingenuous to toy collecting culture
>>
>>6336264
This.
They appeal to 'Le nerd XD' types as well as people desperate for certain licences.
I hate these things but I still caved and bought one when they put one out of my favorite cartoon character.
It's the only figure I have never taken out of the box.
>>
>>6336278
But you could usually find a better made McFarland or something for most stuff, whcih is what bothers me about them, everything about them is cheap
>>
Do we seriously need this thread again.
Stop getting upset people like something you don't, Christ.
>>
>>6336258
Oh, the Pop vinyl toys.

I really thought they're just for cars.
y'know like bobble heads
>>
>>6336330
They are not?
>>
>>6336278
i just have plant baby groot, my friend gave my mum a dalek but yer they are nasty looking no style wats so ever
>>
>finally there's merch for a less mainstream series I like!
>...it's only funko pop vinyls
Every fucking time.
>>
is it possible to physically edit them to look better maybe? Like that scar funko, if you just painted the pupils on there, wouldnt it be fixed?
>>
>>6336258
Short answer is it's cheap merc for people that want to show they are a fan of that show/game/series.
I see nothing wrong with it becuase it gets rather hairy trying to create arbitrary lines in what is and isn't fine for useless fetish idol shit.
>>
>>6336283
That's not the best way to look at it becuase that's what leads to stupid shit posting of "I don't understand why anyone would buy garbage that isn't this $500 item"
Yes they are cheap and popular but that's most things in the toy market. Honestly Ive always been more curious of people having hang ups on stuff like pops becuase it has 0 effect on any market except the vinyl market.
>>
I know a guy who hoards these things. I feel bad for people like that who can't see that Pops are absolutely the new Beanie Babies and once society moves on from the "geek culture" fad, they're not going to be worth shit. At least Beanie Babies are cute, even if they're worthless. If you like them for what they are, fine, but don't bank on someone paying you a mint for a giant headed, dead eyed figure of Sophia from the Golden Girls in five or ten years.
>>
Got my first Funko yesterday, the really feel cheap and shitty, but I absolutely love my cutesy dead Laura Palmer, by doing every single character known to man from every single franchise, they can't help but shit out a couple of good ones.
>>
>>6336258

The way you see funko pops is the same way normal people see toy collecting. It's just a piece of plastic that can be mass produced and has no real value.
>>
>>6336258

> I want something that speaks to my self-proclaimed neediness for decoration and display but I don't want to put any thought or effort into it.
> I have just the thing.
>>
File: ike-broflovski-pop-vinyl.jpg (63KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ike-broflovski-pop-vinyl.jpg
63KB, 800x800px
The only one of these I have seen and kinda wanted
>>
>>6340995
They eyes are so far apart that it ends up looking weird
>>
>>6341854
Different anon.
Incidently it's that's the only Pop I've seen that comes pretty close to screen-accurate (Ike's head is more egg-shaped).
>>
File: figma fatass.jpg (582KB, 1074x839px) Image search: [Google]
figma fatass.jpg
582KB, 1074x839px
>>6336258
>>
>>6341854
>>6342144
South park got decent figures, years ago.

I always think about picking up a few SW ones but they aren't worth the price.
>>
Funk Pops are just the worst.

However, from a marketing standpoint, it's great. You have almost every license there is, and your toy is cheap, so even normies that would never buy a toy will go "that would look cute on my desk"

"Well, they're cute AND cheap, so I could get a couple more. I like these characters... That won't hurt"

Then maybe they discover a Funko discussion board...

>They are now hooked to this shitty vinyl crap.

Although, I don't know if they just make so many of these that they can continually maintain stock, or if the bubble has FINALLY burst on these things, because every time I go into a store that sells Funkos, they always have this MASSIVE wall lined with shelves full of the things. And they don't seem to be moving like they used to
>>
>>6342844
Import/comic shops that ride the funko pop train get what they deserve when it takes them down with them. Not saying that out of spite they're destined to fail anyways since the first rule is not to store shit in bulk like that fucking ever
>>
>>6340995
>physically edit
>physically
>edit

So I'm guessing you're one of those types who can't "survive" without a mobile phone

Better words

>modify
>customize
>repaint
>fix

And they make "blank" funkos, good chance the cheap qc encourages user modifications
>>
>>6336266
Beanie babies were genuinely well made, you got a high quality toy for the price. $5 gets you a tsumtsum now, yet $5 used to get you a high quality plush beanie babie, with so much care and thought put into its design and presentation. Don't ever compare them to this shit again or I'll beat your ass son
>>
>>6336264
This and >>6336278

I don't care for their POP line, but I like some of their other stuff. The non-human ones usually look decent. I have one POP, and have been eyeing others.
>>
File: michael.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
michael.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
I buy them sometimes because many characters and franchises that I like usually have no or very little merch besides Funkos. I go for the figures of characters that I love and that look decent (not all of them are ugly and they have gotten a little better over the past few years, although most of them are still garbage) and that's it. I'll buy higher quality merch too but only if it looks good enough and isn't too expensive because I'm not going to pay over $100 if it's not something special.

Although Funko can barely do the favorite character thing right. They always shit out the worst characters first.

>wait for them to make a figure of a fav character
>looks like total fucking garbage
>tfw
>>
>>6336258
>I don't get the appeal.

>They do fucking every brand known to man
>cheap as shit
>appeal to the "le nerd" sub culture

>don't get the appeal

Stunning.
>>
>>6342092
Post some pics, pls.

The soulless, black eyes are my biggest gripe with these things.
>>
File: 51Xkh8p-34L.jpg (43KB, 481x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Xkh8p-34L.jpg
43KB, 481x500px
>>6336258
I hate the over all rinse and repeat sculpt of human characters. They're bland and boring. The more elaborate ones with actual different sculpts I get more. Pic related
>>
File: 51wV9rv2zHL._SY450_.jpg (35KB, 333x450px) Image search: [Google]
51wV9rv2zHL._SY450_.jpg
35KB, 333x450px
I like some of them
>>
>>6336258

They have definitely been stepping their game up lately.
>>
>>6352719
this. The dragons from GOT also look pretty cool since theyre more than just that bug eyed bobble head
>>
>>6352774
That's actually kind of cool, QC issues aside.
>>
>>6341258
>I absolutely love my cutesy dead Laura Palmer

wow it's actually real
>>
File: TheArmTree.png (94KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
TheArmTree.png
94KB, 350x197px
>>6352774
I hope they do the new season too. I want the evolution of the Arm.
>>
>>6336258
I used to work in a trade center and these things were everywhere. Only normies who didn't like toys bought them and they constantly sold for no apparent reason.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.