[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought an older GI Joe figure (pic related) and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 51qlfeYr3kL.jpg (56KB, 296x451px) Image search: [Google]
51qlfeYr3kL.jpg
56KB, 296x451px
I just bought an older GI Joe figure (pic related) and I'm having so much more fun with it than any of my more modern Joes from the last two movies/25th. I think a lot of the designs from this era were just more fun, and honestly, I think the sculpts are better in a lot of cases. Less detailed, maybe, but the overall aesthetic was more to my taste. Like when they update those old designs for the modern line, I often don't like them as much. Anyone else really into the aesthetic on late 80's-mid 90's GI Joe?
>>
>>6316338
top notch fig, i enjoyed one for quite some time in the past
>>
>>6316338
yeah ARAH style joes have quite a good following.

I liked the most realistic ones though, like original Lt. Falcon and Footloose
>>
File: dsc010822.jpg (70KB, 362x469px) Image search: [Google]
dsc010822.jpg
70KB, 362x469px
>>6316338

Dude, that was one of my favorite figures as a kid.

Now I kind of need to track one down, along with the ridiculous early 90's snake eyes
>>
I love a lot of the early '90s Joes, but I think it's more nostalgia than anything.
>>
>>6325349

There is a certain charm to them too.
>>
>>6325349
I don't really have nostalgia for ARAH Joes though, and I still love em. I ignored GI Joe through pretty much all of my childhood and only got into them as an adult.
>>
>>6316338
Only 90s design I liked, besides blue snake eyes, was ice cream soldier.
>>
File: joe-zartan-v2-head.jpg (46KB, 864x1594px) Image search: [Google]
joe-zartan-v2-head.jpg
46KB, 864x1594px
>>6316338
Like others have said, they definitely have a fun kind of charm. I absolutely LOVE the modern Joes (and other 1:18 action figures) and the more the articulation and detail you can pack in at that scale the better. BUT the original o-ring Joes are better "toys". They lend themselves to play and casual fun more than modern figures.

I really wish the Reaction figures took after them rather than the shitty 5 POA figures. I would have bought mountains of them if that had been the case.

Pic related was my number 1 favorite as a kid. I still have him kicking around somewhere.
>>
>>6325437
My problem with ReAction is the almost purposely terrible sculpts. The Alien sculpts were great, but other than that, I've only really liked the Gremlins. But fuck paying 10 dollars for 1 inch tall figures.
>>
File: headhunters2.jpg (20KB, 135x300px) Image search: [Google]
headhunters2.jpg
20KB, 135x300px
I love some of the designs from that period. These dudes were pretty cool.
>>
>>6325528
The Alien figures worked because they were essentially an '80s product finally seeing the light of day. The rest of the line just apes that style, and frankly a lot of the licenses they did were from long after that Kenner style had been supplanted. Sure, I wanted figures for The Fifth Element. I didn't, however, want them to look like they were made in 1978.

>>6325758
I loved all the Headhunter-related figures. Especially the Headhunter Stormtooper.
>>
>>6325758
There's just something about the sculpt style of ARAH that looks so...effortlessly cool. Like it's a little clunky and strange, but it's also stylish as fucking shit.

The 25th and Movie sculpts feel sort of tryhard to me. Like they're really trying to capture that coolness but it's not really working and they're trying to force it through. Like I said, tryhard.

I'm not saying I don't like the modern figures, I have quite a few in fact. But there's some kind of easygoing slickness to the old sculpts that just can't be re-captured.
>>
The BAT was good, they were in the comics a lot when Cobra attacked the Pit.

I liked the newer toxic vipers and the toxio zombie a lot.

Never saw any of the Headhunters in the UK. Shame.
>>
>>6316338
The modern figures have excellent accessories. Way better than the older figures.
>>
File: cover.jpg (105KB, 458x473px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
105KB, 458x473px
>>6316338
OP were you around when ARAH Joe was in its heyday? I agree they seem more fun, and that may not just be nostalgia talking. Seemed the people in charge of designing/sculpting those Joes could take more creative liberties then, and it showed in the variety of figure and vehicle sculpts. They didn't yet have the pressure of a disappearing market. The inserts you'd get with the toys were more fun too, they had the thrill of good guys vs. bad guys without all the complexities and grey areas of modern conflict. I don't think the modern cartoon attempts (Resolute, Renegades) really recaptured the excitement either. They were too serious.

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/inserts/ They're here but the scan quality on some seems low and they don't all show the whole contents of the insert. If I still have mine I might scan them. And in some cases old and new Joes can be mixed together in the same scene and they don't look that "off", at least to me.

>>6325437
I never saw that Zartan, thanks for posting him. Agree on the ReAction figures; I was a kid in 1984 and even then I didn't like 5 POA figures because they were too stiff and didn't move right. Haven't changed my stance on that, and ARAH Joe is when I really started to enjoy action figures.
>>
>>6325885
Also, the Alien figures actually had detail in the sculpt. The other ReAction figures are super smooth and generic looking. 1980s Kenner figures look better and more detailed than the other ReAction figures.
>>
>>6326663
>OP were you around when ARAH Joe was in its heyday?
I was! But sadly, I wasn't really a fan in those days. I was more excited by stuff like TMNT and Dino Riders at the time, so GI Joe kind of flew under my radar.
>>
>>6325437
>I really wish the Reaction figures took after them rather than the shitty 5 POA figures. I would have bought mountains of them if that had been the case.
agreed, if they were going to use a style with crappy articulation they could have at least aped a style that actually looked good that way, like say modeling them after MOTU or WWF figures(indeed I'm amazed that no line is doing that at the moment)
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.