[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys ever find yourself keeping certain toys just because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1453540181035.png (1MB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1453540181035.png
1MB, 900x1200px
Do you guys ever find yourself keeping certain toys just because you like the franchise and you feel like you HAVE to? It's fucking weird, almost like a feeling of obligation. I don't play with any of my MGS figures anymore and in fact most of them are just sitting in storage right now, but I just feel like I can't sell them cause I'm such a big MGS fan.
>>
>>6305107
Not yet but to be fair that's why they make those toys/items
They know a lot of people will want to brand their gods on their clothes and adorn their shelves with idols to them.
>>
Yes and with the exact same franchise. I bought the Big Boss and Raiden revo's, and the Solid Snake, Gray Fox, and Venom Snake minis. And I honestly haven't even looked at them in months. But I knew I had to buy them or I would regret it.
>>
File: roflbot (1).jpg (119KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
roflbot (1).jpg
119KB, 720x960px
>>6305129
not quite
>>
>>6305107
Same issue with same franchise. Are wemgs fans autistic or something?
>>
File: IMG_6292.jpg (1MB, 2410x2928px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6292.jpg
1MB, 2410x2928px
Dude I know what you guys mean I'm the same and one of the main culprits is mgs. We need to name this phenomenon (something other than just being a faggot)
>>
>>6305231

"Impulse buying" followed by "sunk cost fallacy" pretty much sums all that up, and it is definitely not something unique to toy.

You buy shit on impulse, then later on defend it or refuse to part with it because you now own it and psychologically you can't give it up.
>>
>>6305245
Nah, I think this is something totally separate. Cause the situation you describe, I feel that shit all the time too and I know how to push past it. I do it all the time.

What I'm trying to describe here is a weird sort of reverence, a feeling that as a huge fan of a certain franchise you MUST possess the merch, and losing it will somehow decrease your standing as a fan or something. It's a weird sort of comfort to me that I own Revo Mini Grey Fox, even though I haven't seen or touched it in almost 6 months. It's an entirely different kind of pull, and even though I can describe it, I don't understand it, and I definitely can't move past it.
>>
>>6305245
>>6305290
How often do you people buy and then sell things? I mean, I always see sell/trade threads. Why though? Why even buy toys if you're just going to go around and chuck'em?
>>
I'm in the same boat with mgs. I finally bit the bullet and put some on eBay, got an offer for $75 for play arts venom snake and it feels like I'm selling a child or something. I forgot i even had it for months, I don't know what this is
>>
>>6305298
That's an entirely different topic, but your question has been asked many times and the answer is pretty simple. People enjoy a toy for a while then get bored of it and move on, or it wasn't as good as they expected and they wanna get rid of it, or they find a grail and need quick cash for it, or they fall on hard times and need to sell everything they can just to make ends meet. There are plenty of reasons why people sell or trade toys.

For me, it's usually because I get bored of things after a while. Then I sell them so someone else can enjoy them, and I in turn can use that money to get something I'll enjoy.
>>
It all started when I sold a used play arts solid snake I had laying around because I didn't know it was worth a lot and I didn't really care about it. I was like "wow I don't mess with any of these," listed some and now it's like

"NO NEVERMIND I NEED THIS LOOSE JUNGLE SNAKE WITH NO ACCESSORIES AND A SUPER LOOSE LEG YOURE WANTING TO PAY A LOT FOR THAT I FORGOT I HAD FOR TWO YEARS"

Does everyone feel this way about mgs?
>>
>>6305107
I sort of have a theory actually, that because we MGS fans went so long without good toys (and no, I don't count the McFarlane ones as good) that when we finally started to get them, we clung on tight because they felt like solid gold. And we continue to hold on because we know what it was like to go without, and we're afraid that if we let these go we might never get any more in the future.
>>
>>6305298
>I always see sell/trade threads
The BST thread on /toy/ is filled with people who impulse buy shit
I've seen someone buy a Planet X NotGrimlock from an anon and then sell it off like a month later in under the same e-mail because they don't know how to manage money
Then there's this one anon who I won't name(but you can probably figure it out by lurking a thread or two) that is always looking to buy figures from a certain series and then always ends up selling off figures from said series "immediately" all the time
I just find it pretty sad
>>
I keep toys I haven't so much as looked at in a long time over the smallest of memories I have with them. Most glaring example I can think of is some old Halo figures. I have a younger brother so even when I was 15-16 I played with toys because of him. I played around with some Halo figures with him on maybe 4 or 5 occasions, and haven't looked at them in YEARS. But can I sell them? Nah.

If I've genuinely played around with damn near anything, it's a no-go. Only things I can successful sell are things I bought and shelved to look at.
>>
I've got toys still in the package that I only bought because they were on my knoe list.
>>
>>6305107
no, if I don't like the figure enough, I don't buy it. I love Street Fighter but haven't liked most of the figures out for it. I love MGS too and I mess around with revo Raiden, Big Boss (Peacewalker) and Gray Fox the most. I missed the train on Venom Snake but after completing the game, I don't want him as much... so I haven't gotten him despite his price remaining stable all these while.
>>
>>6305107
Who did the work on the face? Looks good.
>>
A few.
Most of my superheroes other than a few select good ones, all of my SAS figures (The accessory selection and qc are horrid, and the part 6 character/color selection was almost unbelievably shitty.) my Figma Guyver, D-arts Zero (One of the worst figures I own.) and the entire Funko Myster Mini SU line.
>>
File: 1493518481442.jpg (219KB, 900x678px) Image search: [Google]
1493518481442.jpg
219KB, 900x678px
>>6305158
I dunno
>>
>>6305107
I buy the figure I like and I don't open them. I just want to have the best 3d model of the characters I like
>>
did someone gave medic snake a paint wash on his face?
>>
No.

I skip a lot of stuff despite my enjoyment of the franchise, like the Metal Gear figures.

So many ugly figures, like the awful Yamaguchi Revoltechs or out of scale with what i actually collect, like the fucking PAKs. Figma Snake was almost nice and the soldier was actually good, but why only buy the soldier? meeeeeh.
>>
>>6305107
>Do you guys ever find yourself keeping certain toys just because you like the franchise and you feel like you HAVE to?
If the figure is halfway decent and it's literally the only option (or affordable option) available then yes.

>I don't play with any of my MGS figures anymore and in fact most of them are just sitting in storage right now, but I just feel like I can't sell them cause I'm such a big MGS fan.
You don't have to play with something to enjoy owning it. I don't actively play most my old video games or actively read most my old comics/manga but I still enjoy owning them. Every now and then I will go back and experience them again. You will most likely feel that way one day about the MGS figures you own.

Also worth noting the money you'd recoup is often less than what you originally paid. Then if you DO want to own it again later you might have to pay even more and you won't know if the person who owned it cared for it as well as you yourself did. Unless it's ruining your life (see: hoarders) then why not keep it?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.