[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about companies who release a bad/half assed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

What do you think about companies who release a bad/half assed product only to re-release it a few years later with major improvements such as better paint, sculpt, articulation and accessories?
Does this put you off buying figures from them in the future?

Mafex is a pretty bad offender when it comes to this sort of thing.
see: Batman, Spiderman and now Catwoman.

Hasbro also just gave a huge 'fuck you' to everyone who bought their original 6" black series Vader by releasing the 40th anniversary legacy pack.
>>
Then don't buy it. Wow, that was difficult.
>>
This shit happens all the time. You just suck it up and

>keep your orignal figure
>sell your original figure out of frustration and quit the line
>buy the new figure and have both
>buy the new figure and sell the original

depending on how you feel. I see it as a good thing because now there's a better figure for the character someone might like. If you already liked the figure this one doesn't take away from it. A lot of people that are just getting into SAS hate the old part 3 sculpts. If they remake them all, those people can have figures they actually like and the people that already liked them can have both. The only way people really lose is if they suddenly have to sell the now-obsolete figure for way less than the price they paid, but that's not really that much of a downside.
>>
I bought a car once.

The next year they made a better one.

Fuck me indeed
>>
>>6293977
>Hasbro also just gave a huge 'fuck you' to everyone who bought their original 6" black series Vader by releasing the 40th anniversary legacy pack.

First release was ROTJ. 40th is ANH.
>>
>>6294043
Any comparison shots?
>>
>>6293977
pisses me off because I don't even notice much the little things they change until I see comparison pics and my OCD forces me to buy the new one and sell the previous one at a loss.

I'm getting Saiyan Sag Vegeta since it's better than the previous release. I'm a fucking idiot and the reason these companies continue to do this.
>>
Not quite the same, but I find committing to MCU Hot Toys hard because of the constant stream of new costumes and versions that are usually better than the last. to me, it's not that offensive if a $20 Hasbro toy does this, but a $200 figure that's now obsolete is a huge pain.
>>
>>6293977
Up to the company. It's annoying but if I hold off buying thinking there will be a better one only a few years later, I will always be waiting.

Sometimes the improves are worthwhile, other times its fixing fuck ups.
Like the later Skyward Sword Link pommel cause retards like those from /v/ broke theirs.
>>
>>6293977
Medicom is awful. They dragged their dick around on WW, months past the expected ship date, and not even a month later are pimping a better version. Apologists like >>6293979 can get bent.
>>
>>6293977

This is lame, so are all their Bale Batman figures. Nobody wants this shit.

Why don't they make a Pfeiffer Catwoman or some shit? Atleast with that Catwoman you could pull off all the sick poses she did in the film and get a cool whip. They could do a cool Returns Batman too, maybe have it with the torn cowl or something. Animated Batman stuff would be cool too.

Fuck all this Nolan shit. It's all been done.
>>
>>6294341
>Fuck all this Nolan shit. It's all been done.
Honestly I just want Bane at this point. He's the only that hasn't really gotten a proper figure from them and it doesn't seem like Bandai has any plans for a Figuarts either.
>>
>>6294350

Yeah that's true. Make Bane and be done with it.
>>
File: IMG_7206.jpg (226KB, 866x799px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7206.jpg
226KB, 866x799px
>>6294341

Returns Catwoman would be way too complicated. All those sculpted stitch marks, painting them white. It wouldn't work. How could they do that and have it blend with the articulation? Same deal with Batman. Where would his armor allow ab crunches, how could you move his head?
>>
>>6294384
Returns Batman has an easy cheat for ab crunches with the ribbed armor. It's non screen accurate, but the Hot toys Keaton Batman suits arguably have more articulation than the real suits as is. A plastic figure can cheat more.

Also, painting all of Catwoman's stitches is easily done by a modern company.
>>
>>6293977
I don't really mind it since there's always the possibility that another company is just going to make a better figure a few months/years later anyway. The real problem is that they're making a second Catwoman instead of the big guy.
>>
>>6293977

WTF, why her again?

Where's Bane? Where's Two-Face? Scarecrow? How about classic Burton Batman and villains?

I don't get it.
>>
>>6294363
Will he be a big figure?
>>
>>6294384

Nah, they could do it. Give Batman a soft plastic overlay for the armor chest and a soft pliable cowl, and he's retain his articulation. Catwoman? If they can do this lame, tacticool Anne Hathaway thing, they could make a Catwoman in a skin tight vinyl suit who was actually aerobic and worthy of a figure.

NECA will probably have a proper 6" Catwoman covered this winter anyway.
>>
>>6294425
4U
>>
>>6293977

Is that 2.0 figure something I can buy?
>>
>>6294054
> What do you think about companies who release a bad/half assed product only to re-release it a few years later with major improvements

Yeah that doesn't apply at all to literally anything and everything that has upgraded models over time
>>
>>6294444
>NECA
> 6"

Pick one
>>
File: Figuarts Han Solo.jpg (60KB, 920x613px) Image search: [Google]
Figuarts Han Solo.jpg
60KB, 920x613px
>people buying ugly toys and get angry when a company actually makes a good looking one
I can understand someone buying a the much hated Yuuzhan Vong that ruined star Wars forever and ever because that's the last time anyone is ever going to make a figure of them, but buying a halfassed Luke in a costume that will get a billion more figures in the next decade?
Dumb.
>>
You think they should re-release the same shitty figures because you bought garbage instead of waiting for something better?

I didn't buy the first BS Vader or Mafex Catwoman, now that they have made improved the figures I will definitely buy Vader and I will probably buy Catwoman. I'm glad to see these companies fixing their mistakes and putting out decent products.
>>
>>6294196
My brother bought that Wonder woman, grimaced at the horrible face sculpt, and kept it in box for about a month contemplating on opening or selling it. He eventually opened it only for Mafex to announce the better version the same week
>>
Jojo fag here, everyone hates SAS Gappy's face sculpt and wants a 2.0
I'm nervous about buying him on the off chance that we eventually do get an improved version
>>
If it's a toy sold in major market retail stores I'll usually buy the new one and return the old one in the new packaging.

If it's an import I'll probably just enjoy the original. Unless it's a major improvement, then I'll buy the new one and have both until I decide to sell one of them.
>>
>>6293977

You ought to be used to American toy companies doing this. Hasbro, Mattel, Neca, whoever. They all remake / repaint shit to double dip. Transformers is probably the biggest offender. But Mattel is the largest jewhole, adding one must-have accessory to the same repackaged buck.
>>
>>6297709
More companies need to do remakes/repaints/redoecos, because foreign companies are just as bad in releasing poor sculpts with poor paints.
Still waiting for a good Casca, among other toys.

Also, Mattel redoing anything fixes nothing, because everything they make is shit. Nothing that comes out of their shit maker is worth buying.
... well, except for their diecast stuff. Everything else? It's always a turd.
>>
>>6293977
Time and cost is a factor. Example the last 6inch Hasbro Vader was $20 and two years ago, this new one is tied to an accessory and costs $44 becuase if it.
That's not a whole lot to get angry at.
>>
>>6295214
You know, the weirdest thing about that toy is that she looks like she has a receding hairline in photos. In person, it looks fine, but in every photo I take, that part of the tiara looks like a bald spot.
>>
>>6293977
So you basically want everybody to have a shitty inferior product when a better one could be made, just because you bought the shitty version already.
>>
File: img_7.jpg (348KB, 1064x850px) Image search: [Google]
img_7.jpg
348KB, 1064x850px
>>6293977
I don't see companies releasing improved versions of their figures as being a problem by itself. There's a lot of long-running toylines whose earlier releases were impressive for their time but then became outdated as the line's quality increased over subsequent releases. In those cases it's nice to get a new version of a figure that came out nearly a decade ago to match the new ones you have. The problem comes when the new version comes out within a few years of the original one, usually with little to no improvement. Worse yet is when the selling point of the "new" edition is it coming with accessories or parts that the original figures should've had to begin with. Perfect examples of this are the recolored Legacy MMPR figures that come with the special weapons.
>>
>>6294341

I want this.

And the only Batman i own is the Bale Batman.
>>
>>6297863
It doesn't cost $44
>>
File: rZlWqyW.jpg (254KB, 792x623px) Image search: [Google]
rZlWqyW.jpg
254KB, 792x623px
>>6294072
http://www.starwarshelmets.com/RotS2ANHvader_comp.htm

I take it you mean the costumes. Differences are completely different helmets since all the ANH helmets got sold/stolen after the movie hit theaters. Red lenses on the helmet in ANH v.s. black elsewhere. Part of the robe goes over his shoulder armor in ANH, and under elsewhere.

>>6293977
A better Habro Star Wars example would be Princess Leia in the red boxes having a far shittier head than the Leia on the Vintage style cards released only 3 months later. But even then Hasbro told people about the decision to fix the head. I can see why nobody would have trusted them to actually fix the head but that people bought the thing right away even though it was one of the slower-moving figures puts the blame only on themselves.

To the topic in general:
Updates are always good and in my experience there will alway end up to be an idiot that you can sell your old shittier version to. There is often some amount of money lost by reselling a "used" toy but the post >>6294039 with the car explains that well. There will always be a better product down the line. It makes no difference if the better version is a figure made by the same company only a couple years later or let's say between a Star Wars model kit from the 1980 and a Star Wars model kit from 2015 Bandai.
>>
I bought a Jotaro Kujo from the SAS line when it came out and Star Platinum... only for them to announce they're releasing the fixed sculpted head for the first release... with the variant Jotaro release. I'm still happy with the purchase but it definitely made me care a lot less about getting more SAS Jojo toys.

Basically... if you don't like the practice, stop supporting the line. I never did buy a single SHF until renewal Black came out and it stopped being a complete shit show as far as likenesses go for Kamen Riders.
>>
>>6298363

> Leia is a Slower moving figure

Man, I don't know where you are but I have barely seen any Black Series that wasn't Rogue One peg warmers and Finn for like a year.

Even on Amazon and whatnot. I ordered the first Leia on HTS when it came up because having something is better than nothing or paying some faggot scalper markup at $100 later (which I wouldn't do anyway).
>>
>>6298541
Slower Moving =/= pegwarmer. In a store that isn't 100% pegwarmers I would expect Leia to be the most likely sight aside from the most well known pegwarmers.

I am in Germany where they have cancelled the Revan wave due to """"""""""not enough orders""""""""". But cases of nothing but 6 Obi-Wans or 6 Leias are available. Toysrus carries the 40th Leia as like the only retailer even though the line isn't exclusive.
I really hate release schedules and shit, nothing makes sense and rules change constantly. I had to play the scalper and order the entire Revan wave from someone who imported it from the UK. When I got the Leia in my hands I chose to sell her because I would rather have nothing than something thats flaws piss me off so much.
On the other end I saw 40th Han Solo up for order on TRU.de, the next day he was gone and now there is an eternal "you want an E-Mail when we get it back in stock?" button instead. I hoped I could get Han and Leia with 20% off since they did it 3 times in a row since January but now I am not so sure about that anymore. I just hope Ebay gives me some hits. Worst case scenario someone will probably inevitably sell them used. At least there are many choices, possibilities and luck.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.