[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the general consensus on mini mates series? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: 0.jpg (1MB, 4200x2700px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
1MB, 4200x2700px
what's the general consensus on mini mates series?
I'm not sure about the quality of the figures overall
>>
>>6263087
Haven't bought any in almost seven years but I always remember them being pretty decent for cheap 2.5 inch figures. Never had any QC problems with any of them.
>>
File: 4297748522_c17be75ef2_z.jpg (70KB, 640x585px) Image search: [Google]
4297748522_c17be75ef2_z.jpg
70KB, 640x585px
The very earliest ones were cool but the more they've tried to make them complex and 'realistic' they've just gotten worse and uglier.

I mean Jesus look at that Thanos...The original was simple but great.
>>
>>6263087
I'd say that, overall, it's a solid line, ESPECIALLY if you like getting a variety of characters. I know there was a decent span of time where if you wanted an obscure character, Minimates were likely to be your best bet. However, that said, the designs can be VERY hit and miss. When it's a hit, they really can be stand out figures with a lot of charm.

>>6263106
See here. A bit bulky, looks a bit awkward overall.

A lot of the movie tie-ins can look quite ugly, too, because they try too hard to capture an actor's likeness. Other times, even if not a movie related figure, they can get a bit needlessly complex in paint/accessories and it muddies a figure unnecessarily.
>>
>>6263087
I know it's their 'look' but they'd be drastically improved (in my opinion) if they had a more rounded head mold for the human faced characters.
>>
>>6263087
Their original more simplistic ones are better

They are too detailed now

>>6263106
Like this guy said
>>
>>6263087
Man, when I was a kid, all I fucking wanted were Minimates. They looked like Lego minifigures on steroids. After finally getting my hands on some, I was so immensely disappointed in them. They're very overpriced and divided into highly specific sets that make creating a well-rounded cast of your favorites difficult. You'll always end up with a few in a box set that are disappointing in some way, whether it's the hair/helmet sculpts or the ridiculous printing on some.

Just my opinion, of course. But I'd caution against them.
>>
>>6263087
They're probably my favorite toy line. I love that I can have a BTTF Marty, Beatrix Kiddo, Dutch, and Spider-Man hang out and not worry about scale issues.

However, lately they've been doing more MCU Stuff and other boring ass properties which has severely tanked my interest.

Also, for the record, the ones in your picture are supposed to be a bit more bright and cell shaded cause they're from that cartoon. That Thanos looks like absolute trash.
>>
A few years ago I had a lot of issues with the feet falling off. I haven't bought any lately so maybe they've improved that.
>>
They were good 6 years ago but the quality kept decreasing and it was annoying having to buy the 10th iron man minimate that year
>>
>>6263087
i own some of the battle beast ones. they can barely stand, armor parts pop off easy, and they arent brick-brand compatible. not really sure what the appeal is
>>
>>6263091

I had QC with half the ones I bought. Parts are loose fall off, paint glued joints and on top of that, they're cheap light plastics and don't balance well anyway. I think they suck.
>>
File: DCC10417.jpg (45KB, 752x564px) Image search: [Google]
DCC10417.jpg
45KB, 752x564px
>>6263087
It's been 10 years and I'm still butthurt about how badly they shit the bed on the last couple of waves of DC Minimates. Seriously we got Red Sun Supes and Wondy while my Teen Titans will be forever half built and my JSA team will have Ma Hunkle but not fucking Alan Scott. Not to mention little shit like getting Mary Marvel over Black Adam and Ocean Master instead of Black Manta. I get they were in it for the long haul before the plug was pulled but looking back the character selection is bizarre and infuriating.
>>
>>6267152
I'll also say, as somebody that collected them pretty hard for several years, I'd argue that DC Minimates were probably their peak in terms of detail while still maintaining that Minimate look. I'd say the line started to go downhill with the Iron Man 2 Movie Minimates,the wave for the first movie wasn't bad but 2 was when they got too heavily into sculpted parts to the point where the figures stopped looking like Minimates.
>>
File: panika.jpg (44KB, 200x291px) Image search: [Google]
panika.jpg
44KB, 200x291px
>>6267152
>Red Sun was 10 years ago
n-no...it can't be..
>>
i hate how the only okami amaterasu toy is the shitty looking mini mates one
>>
>>6267152
For what it's worth, DST has the DC license for their ugly ass vinylmates now. Meaning we're probably getting new DC mates. There's still hope, anon.
>>
File: c'mon.jpg (53KB, 1248x620px) Image search: [Google]
c'mon.jpg
53KB, 1248x620px
>>6267186
>red sun
>>
Are these worth much money? like is there a market for them? I have a box full that i was thinking of selling but i dont know if there'd be much interest
>>
The old TRU exclusives can go high depending on who it is.
>>
>>6271337
Not that I've seen, really, since they're fairly widespread but not as loved as Lego or Mega, though I'm sure there's a collector or two out there that might make it worth your while if you happen to find them/they find you.
>>
>>6271337
>>6271778
Depends on who you have. Deadpool from wave 28, Kraven the Hunter, Shocker, McFarlane Spider-Man, old exclusives (Scarlet Spider is a good example), nostalgia figures (90s Gambit) can all fetch $30 or more. Then there's exceedingly rare shit like the mega figure Sentinel or Galactus that's easily hundreds.

And a lot of variants from older waves are guaranteed anywhere from $30 to $100 depending. They have really good value for older stuff.
>>
>>6263087

I think they're pretty neat. You can build up a huge collection with a ton of characters real easy, too.

I rather liked the Ghostbusters minimates though.
>>
File: 20170409_220052.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_220052.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
>>6272035
>>6271778
>>6271415
Thanks for the responses, i have a few TRU/SDCC exclusives and a few old ones but other than that its a fairly boring collection
>>
>>6267198
Holy shit, I am actually excited.
>>
I only collect minimates and have a fair amount. How does everyone display theirs?

>>6272711
I see the exclusives but none of the boring.
>>
>>6273151
I display mine in complicated and infuriating action setups. It's a fucking house of cards man; I swear a lot when doing a reset.

Honestly though, I'd prefer it to the standard we're all standing in a line setup that a lot of people do. Where's the fun in that?
>>
File: IMG_0183.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0183.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_5248.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5248.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>6280159

Just the variety of characters is the best thing about minimates imo. Who would've thought we'd get an Air Walker?!
>>
>>6280226
That's why recent lines have been disappointing. So much fucking MCU stuff. I don't even hate the MCU like most people seem to, but the comic lines have all but died to it.
>>
>>6280312

We did get Enchanctress and Black Knight recently, and the Giant Sized Xmen
>>
>>6280312
YES! And if they have been comic lines, they've been shitty rehashes like the Giant Sized X-Men line. I don't hate the MCU stuff, but I wish we could get more complimentary Comic stuff to go with it. My kingdom for a fucking Dr. Strange wave.
>>
>>6280159
Nice riser system, what is that?
>>
>>6281252

They are display riders from CollectingWarehouse website.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.