[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /toy/ think of small soldiers? where the actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: SS2.jpg (59KB, 599x396px) Image search: [Google]
SS2.jpg
59KB, 599x396px
what does /toy/ think of small soldiers? where the actually toys any good?
>>
>>6239403
I have a few.

Not particularly great. They have the detail like from the movie, to an extent. But they have almost no articulation. We're talking single swivel at shoulders and hips and heads.

Accessories were pretty lame.

Still, I like them and keep them because the movie was fun and they match.
>>
>>6239403
The toys are neat but kind of sad because they have fake cuts and joints molded into the plastic, taunting you with what could have been
>>
>>6239403

Love them, articulation and all. I actually have all of them except for the battle changing figures (because they go for hundreds of dollars) and Flatchoo
>>
File: 20170313_210646_HDR-1.jpg (615KB, 2662x1573px) Image search: [Google]
20170313_210646_HDR-1.jpg
615KB, 2662x1573px
Favorite movie of all time. The toys are basically bricks, but that didn't stop me from loving them as a kid. Still do, considering all I do with them is have them on display.

I actually recently made some of the Commandos into Lego minifigs because why not.
>>
Really wish NECA would take a crack at some new figures of the Gorgonites and Commando Elties, they seem perfect for it
>>
>>6240121
They don't even have to light up or make noises. Just articulated like in the movie is perfectly fine. Though I wonder because this is a 98 film or the fact that it isn't super popular why nobody has taken a shot at using Small Soldiers for the nostalgia bucks.
>>
>>6241138
The latter. Some of us have fond memories, sure, but honestly, outside of /toy/ I haven't heard anyone mention that movie since...well, pretty much since 1998.
>>
>>6241138
movie didn't do THAT well... but the toys of the Commandos did well. I bought them up, even the Burger King ones and I don't even like the movie, GI Joe or military stuff that much, I just really liked how they moved in that movie. I do wish they got some kind of accurate sculpts with great articulation.
>>
i wish they'd do a re-make
>>
I had almost the whole toyline.

I really liked them. Solid sculpts and features for the time.
>>
>>6239403
They were cool for the time. They go for a lot now.
>>
>>6239403
I was one of those weird kids who preferred the Gorgonites..Strange monsters where always cooler than military stuff to me. I thought the commandos where mostly forgettable.
>>
i think i'm gonna rewatch this. thanks /toy/
>>
>>6242169
What do you mean weird? Did you not watch the movie? Most kids like good guys better.
>>
>>6242254
actually, the good guys were the commandos before the chip made them into terminators. the gorgonites were the bad guys.

seriously this movie was so underrated. it's aged just fine, too, which is more than i can say for almost all 90s flicks
>>
>>6242254
It seems like every discussion of this movie mentions how much people liked the Commandos better.
>>
>>6242828
Actually the Commandos were marketed in the film as the heroes, but since their only directive was to destroy the Gorgonites, they ended up being destructive an dangerous toys.
>>
I remember seeing trailers for this movie all the time as a kid but I never watched it. Looked too edgy and I was a good kid. Loved the Burger King toys though.
>>
>>6243300
it's worth watching. any toy fan would appreciate it
>>
>>6243088
>>6242828
Oh whoops. I thought you said Chip. You meant the microchip. We were on the same page. I need some sleep.
>>
>>6242160
How much do they go for? I still have that deluxe Chip figure but am willing to part with it since I like the regular line's sculpt of him better
>>
>>6239403
This movie hit me hard as a kid. I spent a year playing with other kids pretending we were the Commandos. Perhaps the first VHS I bought by my own.
Also, this guy started recreating the entire cast of Gorgonites and Commandos (even original Troglokhan) just because his kid loved the movie a lot and only Chip and Archer got propper figures.
Check out his work: http://forums.stanwinstonschool.com/discussion/2409/small-soldiers-recreations
>>
>>6247179
https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/j-r-dejesus-recreates-small-soldiers#
the guy also has a youtube channel and I bet he docummented this project on another web, with a lot of wip pictures and stuff, but I don't rememeber it now
>>
I have Archer. I used to have Chip Hazard. I really want Insaniac and the eye one
>>
File: 4912028_j7nksicf.jpg (16KB, 337x300px) Image search: [Google]
4912028_j7nksicf.jpg
16KB, 337x300px
>>6247190
Insaniac is one of the cheaper ones on ebay. 6 inches tho. Ocula unfortunately only got a BK toy, but if you don't mind him being slightly out of scale he's a good toy.
>>
>>6241138
Yeah, it's a shame NECA no longer really takes chances with their licenses. That's kinda what they built their company on. Most of their licenses are from older sci-fi/horror movies, that without NECA, wouldn't really have any presence in the collectible market. (except for MAYBE the occasional Hot Toys or Sideshow release. But those are few and far between)

But now that they're established, they're just going to keep playing it safe, and release Aliens and Predators for the rest of their days, with the occasional license from a new release
>>
>>6242169
I think a lot of people preferred the Gorgonites. I did as well.

Except for Chip Hazard, that is. Because I liked Tommy Lee Jones (even as a kid). Chip Hazard and Insaniac were my absolute favorite toys from that line
>>
>>6239403
Couldn't actually punch their way out of the packaging. 0/10
>>
File: 379-1.jpg (37KB, 420x627px) Image search: [Google]
379-1.jpg
37KB, 420x627px
>>6247822
Fun fact, they actually designed the packaging for the 6 inch figures to make it look like they were trying to kick and punch their way out.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.