[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These designs have really grown on me. Are we going to get figuarts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 31

File: IMG_6104.jpg (219KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6104.jpg
219KB, 1200x600px
These designs have really grown on me. Are we going to get figuarts? Surely we'll at least see the red ranger?
>>
They look shit
>>
This is the first time I've been glad Sentai Figuarts are dead.
>>
>>6225874
you really think they'd make these? I mean. .. come one.
>>
>>6225876
What? No. I'm saying I'm glad nothing Sentai-related gets Figuarts anymore.
>>
File: 1488179957245.jpg (129KB, 878x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1488179957245.jpg
129KB, 878x1200px
>>6225857
Then you must be the most casual normalfag known to man
>inb4 "I-I was only baiting haha you guys fell for it haha!"
>>
>>6225857
>These designs have really grown on me
>grown
sorry anon, you have terminal brain and eye cancer.
>>
>>6225857
this movie is going to fucking bomb. Not appealing to fans or new kids,, just garbage
>>
>>6225951
just lilke Bayformers and Bayturtles, M i Rite? Thank god no one Loved those abominations.
>>
>>6225951
I hate to tell you but kids are really excited for this movie. I saw Lego Batman twice and both times the kids in the theater erupted with excitement during the trailer. And both times going in and leaving they were screaming and cheering about Power Rangers over by the standup display.

These ugly fucking designs resonated with them somehow.
>>
>>6226049
Second movie didn't do well enough for a sequel with Turtles though.

Guess goes to show what happens when you try to pander to the fanbase over doing your own thing.
>>
>>6226063
Kids just ain't picky. I'm sure there's shit you remember liking as a kid that you don't understand how you liked now.
>>
>>6226110
I complete agree and I know for a fact there is but saying it's not appealing to new kids is just untrue and that's my point. It's resonating with them pretty strongly.
>>
>>6225879
If it cockblocks this from getting figuarts, fine, but I really wanted Kyuuranger figuarts.
>>
>>6226110
You mean like MMPR?

But yeah, was at Toys r Us and some kid was super stoked picking out a new Power Rangers toy.
>>
I'd settle for some Mega Bloks of them. At least they'd be good for parts. They'd probably be pretty bad ass figures by themselves though.
>>
>>6225857
We arnt even getting a 6 inch line with marvel legends articulation.

I would get that.
>>
>>6226478
>gets a 5 inch and 6.5 inch line
>complains because no 6 inch line
scalefags are so silly
>>
>>6226543
I set up displays.

I want a set for Iron fist and a few others to beat the shit out of. And a cheap (relative) set of rangers to fight in the universal tournament set up would be nice. I can go get the 6 inch line for the OG rangers right now at TRU.

I have accepted that I am a scalefag, I also accepted others are fine with none scaled figures. You should too, if you enjoy the lines they gave us then good for you, I don't like it.

I was pointing out they did not put out a line that matches the current 6 inch line with marvel legends articulation. My guess so they can use the new rangers in the line with the BAF piece in it.
>>
>>6226663
Aren't modern Marvel Legends also ridiculously oversized?
>>
>>6226717
Only a few, I only have a few myself, the humanoids tend to be the closest to scale.

They just happen to be a common scale that DBZ and Toku figuarts tend to hover around. And I just want to do a set up with the entire team getting solo'ed by Iron Fist.

The old lines were the worst.
>>
>>6226478
Because Bandai is brain dead when it comes to scale.

Also a general was made to prevent threads like this from constantly popping up. Way to check the catalog OP >>6209095
>>
>>6226663
>set of rangers to fight in the universal tournament
>OG rangers

You must be a ACBA fag or worse you must that Pancheasy guy.
>>
File: 1429632645763.png (76KB, 602x652px) Image search: [Google]
1429632645763.png
76KB, 602x652px
>>6226663
>>6226726
>he needs his toys to be 6inch scale, no more no less even though .5 inch isn't much of a difference since they are humans in armor
>>
File: power-rangers-movie-poster.jpg (328KB, 622x960px) Image search: [Google]
power-rangers-movie-poster.jpg
328KB, 622x960px
ITT: grown ass men hate everything

Im hyped regardless. If i can sit through 40 episodes of operation overdrive, i can sit through 2 hours of this
>>
>>6227505
I'm 32 and I still enjoy things, its only that childish mentality that leaves people unable to just watch something stupid and fun.

This movie will be either a train wreck or brilliant. and I want to see it so bad.

>>6227256
I have no clue what you said. How about you explain your self instead of acting like a bitchy 16 year old girl.
>>
>>6227505
don't hate everything, just wish this had way better designs than looking like yet another bayformer-iron man clone robot and suit wise.

actually up for more fun things with fun designs, just that some of us are bored of a fantasy/scifi project looking like whatever was last deemed a hit by hollywood.
>>
>>6225857
I've been having the opposite where I like them at first but each time I see them again I find something new to dislike about it.
>>
The zords are trash but the suits are fucking dope.
>>
>>6226049
Nah itll be a huge success like the avatar airbender and dbz live action movies
>>
>>6227792
I can understand that, but reading the script that Landis from chronicle wrote, it could have been much worse. Originally Landis wanted zach to be pink and kim to be black, zordon to be a tentical monster, and alpha a bb8 knock off.
>>
File: aQKLlbM.jpg (173KB, 2048x1325px) Image search: [Google]
aQKLlbM.jpg
173KB, 2048x1325px
>>6225857
The rejected designs looked better than this.
>>
>>6228478
Its better aesthetically, but dull. Looks like video game armor; or like all those lame photoshops of old Power ranger helmets over Iron Man or Nolan Batman images.
As far as that armored look goes, I still think the '95 movie did it perfectly.I honestly think those are some of the best superhero suits in any movie before or after. They look better than the rubbery suits of most superhero movies of the 90's/early 2000's, and more iconic than a lot of newer superhero costumes.

I like the alien look these suits are going for, even if its a bit tacky. I've always wanted a Ranger series that plays with the alien aspect of their origin as far as aesthetics go. Hopefully the costumes look better in movie 2.
>>
>>6228189
Landis can't help being a turbo fag can he?
>>
>>6228489
>I still think the '95 movie did it perfectly.I honestly think those are some of the best superhero suits in any movie before or after.
>They look better than the rubbery suits of most superhero movies of the 90's/early 2000's,

You can't be serious. This plasticy shit? They looked like fucking action figures
>>
>>6228514
But for what it is, it works, imo. And honestly, looking like action figures isn't a bad thing as far as toku designs are concerned.
>>
>>6228514
They were made to sell merchandise and I'd say it worked really well.
>>
>>6228519
>>6228522
No shit they're made to sell merchandise, but to claim THAT as "some of the best superhero suits in any movie before or after" you're fucking mental.
>>
>>6228527
Can you name anything better?
>>
File: guyver.jpg (44KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
guyver.jpg
44KB, 1280x720px
>>6228533
Ahem.
>>
File: R1 Guy.png (352KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
R1 Guy.png
352KB, 1000x562px
>>6228533
Notice the presence of texture, which goes a long-ass way to making your costume look like it's not just one large, unpainted plastic toy. Something the old movie ranger suits completely lack, and what the new ranger movies suits were trying to have but completely failing at.
>>
>>6228533
As the guy who posted the claim that they're some of the best, I'd say there's plenty that are as good and better.
>>6228536
, for example. But there's also a glut of superhero movies and a lot of them have utterly unremarkable costumesThe MCU, for example, has a lot of utterly bland costumes that just start to feel like they where designed by template. All theThors, Black Widows, Hawkeyes, etc. There's some great ones like the first Captain America suit and his Stealth suit from the second movie, and Iron Man before it started getting all samey too. And recently I thought Black Panther's and Ant-man's suits where cool. And of course there's all the garbage DC movie costumes, though I do like Affleck Batman's.

Anyway a lot of those suits might look better on a technical level, but if they don't seem "right" or like they work for the character, its almost worse than an outright bad one.
>>
>>6228550
But Guyver is a bio-armor and the MMPR movie ranger weren't trying to be that. I like the fact that they aren't drowning in textures. I think they did a good job of capturing the feel of the TV show spandex while making it look more legit.
>>
>>6228478
All Iron Man.
Bottom left two look like MK42.
>>
>>6228514
They look kinda shitty in that picture but I watched the movie a couple weeks back and they look great in motion
>>
>>6228189
>Thought Zack getting pink was great for a gag.
>Stuck with it through the whole film.
Oh noooooo
>>
>>6228189
Jesus christ.
>>
>>6228189
>no giant spider
>no giant space dog
2/10 would not watch
>>
>>6225951
theres plenty of adults pumped for the movie. theyre closer to the "normie" side but they grew up with the original and cant wait to see the movie. think outside your bubble.
>>
File: 1311037900266.jpg (28KB, 448x329px) Image search: [Google]
1311037900266.jpg
28KB, 448x329px
>>6226110
>I'm sure there's shit you remember liking as a kid that you don't understand how you liked now.

Like the original Power Rangers?
>>
>>6228478
why are you posting Destiny renders?
>>
>>6228478
>either barely any white or white all over
Fucking hell, how hard is it to put the chest detail white, then some white on the lower arms and legs?
>>
>>6228514
Better than spandex.
>>
>>6228514
Guy comes to /toy/ and complains about something looking like an action figure.
>>
>>6227505
>...i can sit through 2 hours of this

2 hours?

Are you sure tho?
>>
>>6228478

Ultraman or Iron Man?

>whynotboth.jpg
>>
>>6228514
>They looked like fucking action figures

Yes. And...?
>>
File: 49072765as7.jpg (36KB, 600x387px) Image search: [Google]
49072765as7.jpg
36KB, 600x387px
>>6228514
Ah yes, the suits that were completely falling apart before and after the movie finished filming.

It's amazing they got a good fight scene with the grunts near the beginning since you could see how hindered the stunt actors were with all that padding and rubber restricting their limbs.
>>
>>6226063
>>6225951
Don't forget, they're still cranking out Power Rangers TV shows on Nickelodeon every year or two.

It really is just like Bayformers, where kids are growing up watching the TV series and boom, then there's a trailer for a super gritty, hyper-realistic(to a child) movie based off the IP you watch every day after school and you're super fucking excited for it.

The same thing happened to me when I saw the first trailer for Transformers back in 07. I was super pumped to see the movie, having grown up with late RID reruns and the Armada trilogy. It's not too hard to see why children are so stoked to see this movie.
>>
>>6228705
Actually, ritas ship was a giant spider ship in landis's script. It was called the Arachnitor or some shit
>>
>>6229447
I still can't believe they initially thought it would have been a good idea to film them without their visors so we could see the actors facial expressions...
>>
>>6229878
Arguably, the whole reason the Power rangers have those fake mouths as an aesthetic is vestigial influence from battle Fever J being a loose adaptation of Captain America. Its an odd design choice and I can see why American producers didn't know what to do with it.
>>
File: Where.gif (487KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Where.gif
487KB, 500x281px
>>6228514
>they looked like fucking action figures
>>
File: 31uyK5GYW3L.jpg (9KB, 195x238px) Image search: [Google]
31uyK5GYW3L.jpg
9KB, 195x238px
>>6225857
>wanting live-action based toys
>>
File: ReverseGloryhole.jpg (53KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
ReverseGloryhole.jpg
53KB, 600x350px
>>6229878

They still think it's a good idea. Not only that but the silver lips are molded after the actors this time and might possibly move when they talk.
>>
File: why anime is unreal.jpg (31KB, 620x395px) Image search: [Google]
why anime is unreal.jpg
31KB, 620x395px
I dare any of you to show me something looking like an updated version of spandex that DOESN'T look like iron man, halo or a transformer.

I fucking dare you.

these designs are good for what they are, and if any shf figures got released, or soc megazord, /toy/ would bitch and whine and then find them gorgeous in hand.

metallic paint and detailing is REQUIRED for these designs, just like pacific rim's bots, the mass retail toys are too simplified to be pretty, I hope this gets to be bayformer level of successful, because it would be awesome to see a rise of tokusatsu that didn't look like cheap cospla or knock off iron man/halos, this does avoid that enough to work, though the blue glow should have been more white to evoke the idea of COSMIC POWER
>>
File: Daremeagainfaggot.jpg (205KB, 637x995px) Image search: [Google]
Daremeagainfaggot.jpg
205KB, 637x995px
>>6231918
>I dare any of you to show me something looking like an updated version of spandex that DOESN'T look like iron man, halo or a transformer.
>>
>>6231918

>>6228514 Right above you.
>>
>>6231918
>>6231918
Why use spandex?
Or if you want spandex, just make it smooth "armor" that solidifies, reinforces, or whatever when needed like GL auras or Venom.
>>
>>6231924

looks like a basketball, imagine it in bright colors, it would look awful.
>>
>>6231928
spandex is the original suit design, which 98% of toy posters want the movie to use.

and have you forgotten how HATED the green lantern suit and movie venom have been?
>>
File: gantz0.gif (2MB, 540x291px) Image search: [Google]
gantz0.gif
2MB, 540x291px
>>6231995
But those are just shit designs.
Nothing stopping them from using a smooth spandex instead of MUSCLESALLTHETIME plastic suits and just CGIing the spandex reacting to the situation.

The Gantz movie did almost photorealistic CGI with the suit going from smooth to hard to XTREMEMUSCLES depending on what they were trying to do.
It was a pretty neat effect and was rational too.
>>
>>6232004

what video game is this again? halo?
>>
>>6231995
>and have you forgotten how HATED the green lantern suit and movie venom have been?

No argument on Lantern, but of all the reasons I've ever heard for hating movie Venom, the design of the suit itself was exactly none of them.

His being shoehorned into a plot that didn't need him at all, his implementation in said plot, his awful characterization, his terrible voice, or the amount of time we had to see Topher Grace's stupid face and his stupid shark mouth instead of Venom? Those were the real problems with movie Venom. The suit itself was, at worst, just "eh". It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful, and was a complete non-issue compared to everything else that was wrong with the character.
>>
File: PowerRangers.jpg (221KB, 1200x819px) Image search: [Google]
PowerRangers.jpg
221KB, 1200x819px
I don't understand why they opted to do original suits anyway, why not just do Mighty Morphin? If the whole premise of the movie is to appeal to 90s franchise nostalgia, why not? Instead its more of an imitation of Power Rangers, which was already an imitation of Sentai, that loses a ton of context in translation. It just seems like its all of the image of the Power Rangers/ Super Sentai, with none of the actual heart of what makes the series work. Part of what works is the cheapness of everything, yet the movie is almost all computer CGI.
>>
>>6232040
People do seem to overlook that at least for the most part they got his right as a character. they didnt fuck with his backstory or his motivations too much, aside from adding gwen stacy a a love interest. i dont remember losing his girl being part of his vengeance towards peter, even if it wasnt gwen.
>>
>>6232745
Because the original spandex is kiddie show bullshit and just isnt genuinely cool to anyone who isnt a child. we love the originals for nostalgia, or ironically for how campy and bad it is.
Outside of nostalgia and campy "so bad its entertaining", the original power rangers is shit. and I say this as someone who is still buying MMPR stuff.
>>
>>6232752
So if the foundation of the original franchise is shit, why even bother with it at all? I have a feeling that this movie is going to fail because its a niche genre that doesn't appeal to its niche because its trying to be appealing to general moviegoers as well, but it can't accomplish that because it won't be able to get away from the fact that it is a Power Rangers entry. It should have full embraced the fandom, but instead I feel like its a simulacra of Power Rangers that doesn't appeal to me because it has the semblance of being the franchise I care about, but none of the authenticity.
>>
>>6232756
>if the foundation is shit why bother
80's TMNT cartoon
>>
>>6232761
So you're arguing....? That the Michael Bay TMNT movies are successful? I mean I guess they got a sequel, but they're not really faithful to the original...and they're not really good. Oddly enough the original live action movies I think everyone would agree are better movies and they use somewhat cheap costuming, but it works.
>>
>>6232752
How is this any different than the CEO/suits meme?

"I love it! Love everything about it! Wouldn't change a thing!....but let's go ahead and change this and this and this and that until it's barely recognizable"

They aren't even making a Power Rangers movie. They are just getting another movie they wanted to make, putting a very very vague Power Rangers veneer on it and using the IP because they think the brand name has some kind of value associated with it that a fully original movie wouldn't. From what i've seen and read this shit may as well not have been a Power Rangers project at all. It's right up there with Dragonball Evolution in disrespecting the source material because they think they are so edgy, mature and enlightened that they can "elevate" some "shitty kids show".

Nothing pisses me off more than a pretentious cunt who thinks they can make everything better if only they were in control.
>>
>>6232019
I didn't realize video games could become photorealistic now.
>>
>>6232768
>Nothing pisses me off more than a pretentious cunt who thinks they can make everything better if only they were in control.
Irony.
>>
>>6232768
I agree with you mostly, but I disagree with the idea that the changes were made because a pretentious cunt thinks he's making things better because he's in charge. I don't think that these changes are being made with any sort of creative agency or desire to improve upon the source material, but are instead being made to try to maximize profits from the film by checking all of the boxes that the suits in the boardroom have identified as being integral to creating a successful summer blockbuster. Its a by the numbers film with no creative that is going to hit all the beats of what a film like this should have, but due to its by the numbers assembly, its going to have nothing memorable and will be forgotten in a month. Its not going to be terrible, but its not going to be good either. It'll be the film equivalent of eating cardboard.

By the way, everything I just typed you could change slightly to apply to the new Ghost in the Shell movie coming as well. Its a major problem with summer blockbusters in general.
>>
File: power rangers.jpg (75KB, 827x536px) Image search: [Google]
power rangers.jpg
75KB, 827x536px
from this specific angle, it looks passable

not great, just passable.

i think it's the multitude of patterns used that really hurt the designs. if they were the same glossy material used on the shoulder pads it would be fine
>>
They really should've made the deluxe megazord smaller/structured also the face should've had a mouthplate.
>>
>>6227505
They look a little better in this pic, I like the brighter colors.
But they're just so ugly. I wish the design were a bit simpler and without the purple lights... I actually like the initial concept of them looking alien, but I wish they looked more organic rather than robotic/Iron Man like.
Also the figs are disgusting.
>>
>>6232971
He looks kind of like Lord Zed.
>>
>>6232040
> of all the reasons I've ever heard for hating movie Venom, the design of the suit itself was exactly none of them.

Wrong. That suit was shit, that design was shit, that version of the character is shit. There you go, now you guys can go back to discussing this upcoming piece of shit Power Rangers design that has shit toys.
>>
>>6225857
See I have nothing wrong with these designs
its alien technology so it should look alien

in the original MMPR they wore like spandex/lycra bodysuits and plastic helmets. it made sense when you were a kid but when I think of it now it seems kinda weird.
but now it makes more sense it is more like a body armor and is made out of some alien material.

Its just to me makes more sense when you look at the overall story of the Power Rangers especially when it comes to the new movie
>>
>>6225951
actually.. I think this movie is going to be a big success. I think it is going to be similar to the first Live Action Transformers
everyone is going to rush and see it the thing is going to make tons of money and be the #1 movie in the world for a couple of weeks and everyone is going to say they liked it and thought it was good and cool but the first chance they get they are going to talk shit about it on websites like 4chan
>>
>>6234049
McDonalds syndrome. Everyone says they hate it, but they still sell a billion hamburgers everyday.
>>
>>6232799
Nothing ironic about it. One person is arguing for the integrity of source material and the other person is arguing to source material is irrelevant disposable trash.

Sometimes we get amazing things better than the source material when changes are made but that really is a rarity that probably applies to .01% of all projects that deviate strongly from the source.

>>6232818
Hollywood has a lack of creativity in general and it's not just affecting summer blockbusters. Virtually every genre is affected by their top brass being douchebags.
>>
>>6234062
Its more sinister now though. At least Marvel will hire up and coming creative directors to do things sometimes, like in the case of Ant-Man, and will still be involved but at least the film has some authenticity in terms of a unifying creative direction. With things like Power Rangers, Ghost in the Shell, DC movies, and that abysmal Ghost Busters, it seems like the general planning pattern is boardroom, then whipped director, shoot. Instead of creative director, boardroom, shoot, boardroom, creative director, shoot, boardroom, release. The studios are always going to clash with the directors, but its when they don't that things fall apart.
>>
>>6233030
plot of the sequel right there :^)
>>
>>6234049
It's going to be exactly like Transformers and they are going to milk it in the same way
The first movie will be okay
The sequel will be absolutely shit
The sequel's sequel will be slightly better than the sequel but still shit
Then everyone will stop caring except for China
>>
>>6234118
I think the first movie will be shit merely because its TRYING to copy Transformers from the getgo, so in a way its more of a tangential sequel to Transformers than an original IP in the Power Rangers franchise.
>>
Just came back to reiterate that I really hope we get SHF of these.
I just sold off my shitty legacy ones and now I'm sad because there is no other option and now I have no toys.
>>
File: Screamcover.jpg (22KB, 278x359px) Image search: [Google]
Screamcover.jpg
22KB, 278x359px
>>6234219
>I Have No Toys and I Must Play
>>
>>6232756
because its banking on nostalgia and something kids love while trying to make it "cooler" so that more than just nostalgic diehards will enjoy it.
>>
>>6232768
I was just arguing against the spandex. i dont think what the did with the suits is ideal but itd be fucking dumb to use the spandex as it was originally, no matter how faithful.
At absolute best you could make suits sort of like captain americas, but honestly the originally movie did it best.
>>
>>6232818
And yet, its still going to be better than the original MMPR. Easily.
>>
>>6233288
I loved the suit and so did many others. there was a lot of "he was shit in the movie but at least he looked cool as Venom"
>>
>>6231992
But it's not in bright colors.
>>
>>6227505
>I'm gonna try to blame everyone's distaste for shit designs on everything and everyone BUT the shit designs.
>>
>>6234031
Super Sentai is more like theater, though, so the suits being like that doesn't matter. Power Rangers is weird but I get what you mean.
Still, I don't like these on the basis that they look like Iron Man Crysis edition rather than an interesting take on alien body armor.

>>6234219
No. Fuck off.
If we aren't geting figuarts of [insert any sentai team here] these shouldn't get shit.
>>
File: 1369869771614.jpg (80KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1369869771614.jpg
80KB, 350x335px
post >yfw Bandai jumps on these things and make SHFs of them while other sentai teams that didn't get any are still in NEVEREVER territory.
>>
>>6234314
If you honestly believe this, you're delusional. If MMPR was not a thing and this movie was the United State's introduction to Sentai, there would be not Power Rangers in the west.
>>
>>6234466
I agree with him, mostly because i hated the Power Rangers and this one doesn't look as cheesy and cheap.

that said, i hope it bombs.
>>
>>6234473
If you hated Power Rangers, a Power Rangers movie is not for you. I don't understand why modern cinema feels the need to cater to everyone and as a result producing garbage. I mean I understand it, maximizing profits, but at some points this has to end. This should be a movie for people that like the Power Rangers, and I don't feel that it is. I hope it bombs too.
>>
>>6234475
>I don't understand why modern cinema feels the need to cater to everyone
Movies cost a lot of money.
Making movies is a business.
They need to attract as many eyes as possible, not just fans.
What's so hard understand?

If you like Power Rangers to remain "true", just stick with your cheesy cheap old crap. The movie isn't made for you, otherwise it would have just been another MMPR episode. It's a movie made to get as much attention as possible, even haters like myself.

Still, i'd like to see it bomb, despite my interest in the designs.
>>
>>6234473
>doesn't look as cheesy and chea
It looks incredibly cheesy. The designs are bottom of the barrel. They're all over the place. They tried to apply a cool factor and it just doesn't work. I think there's just too much going on, like they couldn't decide on one thing, so it just ends up looking bad.
I wouldn't mind a cool redesign, but this is really bad.
>>
>>6234492
Still not as cheap and cheesy as the originals though and looks better for it.
>>
I fucking hate when something inspired by tokusatsu tries to take itself too seriously and be "realistic" or "mature."

I'm trying to word what I mean by that but I really can't. It's not like I can't enjoy a darker story or something, I loved Amazons and Kuuga for example. I think it's just because those series are true to themselves and don't feel like cynical cash-grabs just going for what edgy teens think is cool.
>>
>>6234520
But from the trailers it looks like it'sgoing to be a quirky light-hearted film with serious undertones like the first Avengers film. Yeah, it'll be a serious situation but the characters seem to dial the seriousness down a lot with their dialogue and stuff.
>>
>>6234520
yeah, that's how I feel. ZO, Amazons, Kuuga, even Ryuuki went the edgy routes and were still somehow true to the roots.

Costume wise, for me, that old Power Rangers movie actually looked great. Kamen Rider The First also did a good job redesigning the iconic duo, which is also a damned hard thing to pull off. That being said, if you hate this upcoming movie, just don't spend your money on it, this is the year we're getting so many other movies, it's easy enough to pass on something that feels like a shitty cash grab butchering of your old fav. Otherwise, you're really just letting them make even more sequels of this.
>>
>>6234530
>quirky light-hearted film with serious undertones
Looks like a teenage drama flick with mmpr tossed in for some reason.
Lots of angst and all the rest.
>>
>>6234573
Idk, I saw as much humor as I did drama.
>>
>>6234456
If these ugly ass designs get Figuarts before the Kyurangers or the other 5 Kyorugers there will be fucking hell to pay. I'll never stop whining about it.
>>
>>6235290
I'd rather they strike while the iron is hot and get some interest rolling in the sentai SHF again than any arbitrary seniority. Sentai SHF is dead at the moment, and we wouldn't get Kyurangers or Kyorugers regardless if this movie gets figures. But if it does, and they do well, we have a chance of that happening.
>>
>>6234487
Its hard to understand because not every movie needs a 500 million dollar budget. They could have made a good Power Rangers movie on the cheap that caters to fans and it ironically would have made more money. Given that part of the fandom involves buying into the cheapness and cheesiness of the franchise, this seemed like a no-brainer, but instead we get a big dumb transformers movie that costs way too much for what it is and will likely just break even in the market.
>>
File: 1356404094061.jpg (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1356404094061.jpg
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>6235413
Look, I too would have loved a film that leaned into the cheesiness of the original show. But you KNOW what that would mean. The film would become a "cult classic" at best. Film critics either too young, too old, or unaware of the tone of the OG show would be utterly perplexed at the rubbery monster suits and low-budget CGI. It would fucking tank at the box office.

Love it or hate it, this is the best moneymaking move based on what the largest part of the market wants and understands. As is the case 95% of the time, the "hardcore fans" are left in the dust because they control so little of the profitability of the film.
>>
>>6235528
I'm arguing that this movie should have been made so cheaply that just the fans would have been able to let the make their money back. Imagine if it would have been the original MMPR suits and a soft reboot to that? If they would have focused on making toys to that just the merchandising alone probably would have financed the movie and more. Instead though they're spending probably five times what they should on a product that will satisfy nobody.
>>
>>6227505
This poster kind of punctuates the problems with the zords. Would you be able to tell what any of those shapes are without prior knowledge, aside from being able to make out a tiger's pounce?
>>
>>6235556
>original MMPR suits and a soft reboot
Why even reboot though? The original cast is only in their 40's. Bringing them back in their original suits with their original Zords would've gotten the general public a lot more nostalgic than a reboot in which nothing resembles the original. I really think the movie should've been a bigger budget version of the dino teamup. Dino Charge to appeal to the kids, MMPR for the general public, Dino Thunder for the hardcore fans who are sick of only MMPR getting fanwanked. It'd be the Power Rangers version of The Force Awakens, mixing the originals with the new generation.
>>
>>6235686

Because most people do NOT like their superheros to age, EVER.

and weren't some of them dead?
>>
>>6231889
Yellow ranger's jugs-a-poppin.
>>
>>6235696
People went nuts for elderly Star Wars characters, I think they could accept Rangers in their 40's.

>weren't some of them dead?
Trini died, but they could use her replacement Aisha. JDF and Amy Jo would be enough to put butts in the seats.
>>
>>6235560
To be honest with you, I STILL had trouble making out some of them even knowing what animals they're supposed to be. Everything just looks like random blobby lumps and sharp bits aside from the Tyrannosaurus (which just looks like a big penis) and Saber Toothed Tiger, which doesn't look like a tiger (or catlike at all, in fact), but is discernible as some sort of quadrapedal animal.

Okay, I went and googled pics of the tiger because the face in that poster was just perplexing me. THOSE ARE CANNONS ON THE SIDES OF ITS FACE. Horrible design choice, as from side view it appears to ave a long rodentlike snout.

The fault lies mostly with the Zord designer, but whoever designed this poster fucked up too.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (190KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
190KB, 1920x1080px
>>6235686
This is actually a pretty exciting idea. Even Austin St. John is looking better lately and maybe even seems to have dropped some weight.

I would have been 100% on board for this multi-generational teamup.
>>
>>6235851
>Amy Jo
Get milfy mid 40's AJJ into Hollywood action hero fighting shape and I would definitely see that movie.
>>
>>6235556
Movies like this aren't made to satisfy anyone. They're made to give the general public something to spend two hours doing and then go "eh, that was alright." Other sources of revenue come from kids that parents want to shut up for a while, twentysomethings who remember MMPR from their childhoods but aren't picky enough to complain about the inaccuracy, or nerds ironically watching it so they can rage about it later online. Doesn't matter. All that matters is that people will pay their ten bucks. And it WILL happen.

Looking at this from a stereotypical evil money-grubbing CEO standpoint, they kinda did things right. They KNOW that a relatively small segment of their final viewing audience will rage over it, and that they can turn a profit on a big, loud, dumb, CGI-filled popcorn flick.

Also, no studio would have greenlit your hypothetical movie. Why break even making a tiny movie that will please a handful of nerds, when you can make a bland blockbuster that will make its budget back several times over?
>>
>>6233030
>power rangers: episode one
>>
>>6232799
kek
>>
>>6235876
We'll see if it makes its money back several times over, I'm saying it'll just break even or worse while my movie would have easily done better. We're going to enter into a great decline of summerblockbusters if your type of thinking continues and then the pain will really kick in.
>>
>>6236701
>We're going to enter into a great decline of summer blockbusters
Haven't we already though?
>>
>>6236701
4chan is fucking hilarious.
>>
File: Ratmonsters.jpg (12KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Ratmonsters.jpg
12KB, 320x240px
>>6235413
>They could have made a good Power Rangers movie on the cheap that caters to fans and it ironically would have made more money.

That's what the '95 movie was going to be, but they changed their mind and gave it a larger budget instead. The rat monsters from the Green ranger clone episode where from that original version of the movie.

Arguably the Turbo movie was closer to what you wanted, too, without the nostalgia factor.
>>
>>6235686
The general public wouldn't want to see this though.
>>
>>6235560
No. But I doubt anyone could understand a super advanced and fucking weird alien races robot interpretation of pre-historic Earth creatures, I means that's even if they are interpretations of Earth Creatures and not alien analogues of those animals.
>>
>>6236756
the turbo movie sucked
not even amy jo johnson could've saved it
>>
>>6227505

I'd be a much happier camper if blue black and yellow's visors looked as close to the source material as red and pink's did
>>
>>6236742
Ad hominem, failure to refute the central point. 4chan is hilarious.
>>
>never watched Power Rangers
>watch trailer for new one
>dialogue seems fun and the characters are alright
It seems like it will be a fun time. The way they all talk to each other seems natural. I might go see it.
>>
File: p166357_d_v8_aa.jpg (436KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p166357_d_v8_aa.jpg
436KB, 960x1440px
>>6234487
>>6235413
>>6235528
>>6235556
One party you are forgetting in this is movie theaters. They will not carry cheap ass films if they don't fill seats. They don't get any compensation for it. A great example is Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters, Box office was 5.5 million but only cost 750,000, so it made over five times the cost back. So why didn't we see Sea Lab or Brak show the movie? Because theaters reported that it was a negative cost on their end and was basically a waste of time and money and that film actually lead to some theaters to have a sterner critics eye to what dose and doesn't show up in their theaters. A cheaply made PR film would have been shunned with limited release in select theaters if they were lucky.
>>
>>6236701
>We're going to enter into a great decline of summerblockbusters if your type of thinking continues
Like the anon above said, we're already there. We're living it.

"My type of thinking" is simply the reality we inhabit, friendo. It's not my opinion or what I want, it's just facts. I mean, fuck, my actual opinion is that I want the same shit you do, a cheesy, fun movie that hits all our nostalgia points in the right places on a minimal budget. Rubber monsters, foam zords, explosions every time someone gets hit, the whole nine yards. I'm just telling you it isn't realistic.
>>
>>6227505
>If i can sit through 40 episodes of operation overdrive, i can sit through 2 hours of this
>If I can stand 40 episodes of mind numbing garbage drivel, I can surely be tortured in a theatre for 2 hours!
Yeah that sounds awesome, way better than enjoying something good.
>>
>>6238576
I'm sorry but why would you ever want to watch anything good?
>>
File: KamenRiderSkull.gif (982KB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
KamenRiderSkull.gif
982KB, 371x209px
>>6225857
I seriously hope not. I hate the designs. If SHF did do these guys I'd honestly be pissed. The sentai line is dead and for them to do these pieces of shit would be a dishonour.
>>
File: 1488489550790.gif (2MB, 360x264px) Image search: [Google]
1488489550790.gif
2MB, 360x264px
>>6227505
Hey man, if it's schlock I can't wait. Went to see XMEN Apocalypse with my friends cuz my gf is a marvel cuck and wanted to see dudes punching each other for 3 hours. The entire fucking theatre was laughing hysterically throughout the movie. I don't think I've laughed that hard at a movie in public before. Gonna see this with my friend when it comes out just outta curiousity and if it supports the toku industry I guess why not.

If Power of Rangers can be at least half as entertaining as Apocalypse I'll forgive it.
>>
>>6242711
we get it, you want to be a cool contrarian by defending the shitty new movie
>>
>>6232791
WHy can't they be photorealistic? In actual gameplay, sure you are right. But pre rendered cut scenes? Nothing at all keeping that from being photo realistic aside from time and budget.
>>
>>6234091
>abysmal Ghost Busters
I am pretty sure 'board room not working with director' was NOT why that movie was abyssmal, if anything they chose the director they did because they didn't need to 'whip' him or anything. He was already of the same mindset as what they wanted.
>>
>>6234466
If you think the original power rangers is is better than what this movie will be, youre delusional. It at least wont be any worse. MMPR is a pretty low bar set.

>If MMPR was not a thing and this movie was the United State's introduction to Sentai, there would be not Power Rangers in the west.

You say that like it has any effect on what I said. Just because something became popular with children doesnt mean it was good.
>>
>>6234475
A lot of people who like power rangers are looking for this. Think outside your circles, because plenty of nostalgic "normies" are pumped for this movie. Its the nerds like us moaning.
>>
>>6235294
The movie would create a good opportunity for reissues of the MMPR/Zyuranger shfs. theyd be dumb NOT to capitilize on it honestly, because lately ive seen a huge surge of classic MMPR styled merch. Demand has risen again
>>
>>6235413
>caters to fans
Or they could try to make something that isnt shit?
>>
>>6243026
I get the feeling we'll see version 2.0s rather than reissues, thanks to technicalities. Bandai is paying more attention to the west now. I almost expect SHF Shinkocchou Seihou style releases of the 6 Zyurangers+ White.
>>
>>6235528
>Look, I too would have loved a film that leaned into the cheesiness of the original show. But you KNOW what that would mean. The film would become a "cult classic" at best.

Because there's not already an entire fucking MEDIA EMPIRE founded on the principle of leaning on the cheesiness of the original premise, right?
>>
>>6243035
Reissue now, then do 2.0s later.

The originals go for high prices and demand is there, and it would be most profitable to just make more of what they did before, while having a card in thier pocket later to get some people to buy them AGAIN while also selling to the people that missed the first two times.
>>
File: OOHHH.jpg (29KB, 459x465px) Image search: [Google]
OOHHH.jpg
29KB, 459x465px
>>6235528
>the original Yellow Ranger was a guy
>in the US it was a girl
>an asian girl
>asians usually have smaller boobs
>so no one ever questioned why she had a flat chest

I just realized this.
>>
Why is it so hard to understand that P-Bandai stuff hardly ever gets reissued once released? Especially nowadays unless it's a slight recolor
>>
>>6243051
Lets be real, its not like MMPR stuff wasnt out of the ordinary for them to do in the first place. They made a line more catered to US than japan, made versions for us, and even an entire figure for MMPR (ok it was a sort of kitbash, but you get what i mean).

They did something out of their usual before, why not again?
>>
>>6243070
production costs
>>
File: yesand.png (26KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
yesand.png
26KB, 201x201px
>>6243089
Yeah, which couldnt be much because its a reissue. making new versions would cost more.
>>
>>6243037
Nigga don't be obtuse. For all the things theMCU does faithful to the comics, there's quite a few things they switch up or avoid in fear of it being too cheesy. Its also way more irreverent and deprecating than it is cheesy.
>>
>>6243037
Well marvel isn't that cheesy. Hawkeye only has slight purple in his outfits, vision has more mute colors and doesn't look very stupid, scarlet witch is just a girl who loves hottopic, quicksilver just wore gym clothes, hulk doesn't have purple pants, thor doesn't wear his stupid hat, iron man's colors are dark as shit to . antman is the only one that's really cheesy.
>>
Look at the BAF megazord compared to the others, tell me figures surpassing that level of quality and detail would be of NO interest to you lot, go on and tell me the very idea OFFENDS YOU again, please.
>>
File: file.jpg (144KB, 597x223px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
144KB, 597x223px
We need some figuarts now.
>>
>>6243026
>>6243035
>>6243045
As one of those people who didn't hop on board for the Figuarts before, I'd really love a rerelease. Come on, Bandai. I want a Green Ranger for less than $100.
>>
>>6243242
I won gifts cards for Barnes and Noble from my school since they were our bookstore. Found out they sold Figuarts online and picked up the White and Green ranger. Still bummed I didn't pick up the rest. Last I checked pink went up to $200+
>>
>>6231889
The only thing I see truly stupid on the costumes are thay the girl outfits come with high heels/wedges. They seem over designed but whatever
>>
>>6243226
Fuck yes, only want black power Ranger tho
>>
>>6243050
JUST
>>
File: 1469754157278.jpg (31KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1469754157278.jpg
31KB, 512x384px
>>6243226
> you are now remembering that fake leak of P-bandai.jp releases that had Mega Red + Cyber Slider as an August 2014 release

Fuck whoever did that
>>
>>6234572
The First/The Next Rider costumes are top tier
>>
>>6226084
>Bay movies
>pandering to the fanbase
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
>>
>>6244733
TMNT2 really did pander to fans by throwing Bebop and Rocksteady, Krang, Baxter Stockman, and Casey Jones all in one film and set everything up for them returning in a third film.

I'm still really annoyed at 2 because is looks like they tried to bring in characters that fans wanted but watching it sucked as the whole movie is just screaming "GET OUT OF HERE, COME BACK AND WATCH TURTLES 3!"
>>
>>6244733
Bay didn't direct either TMNT.
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.