[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to this board and new to collecting and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

I'm new to this board and new to collecting and I'm trying to decide a on a good place to start, was thinking about buying pic related, any tips for buying and general advice
>>
>>6198111
Read the buying guide if you're interested in anime http://www.buyfags.moe/So_you_want_to_be_a_buyf/a/g%3F

Besides that, what are you interested in?
>>
>>6198117
Star Wars, X-Men, Super Sentai, Star Wars
>>
File: greetings from toy.jpg (77KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
greetings from toy.jpg
77KB, 640x960px
>>6198111
If you're after imports, shop Japanese retailers Amiami or HLJ. Use paypal to buy from them. Do your homework on a figure so you don't overpay. Starting out, you WILL overpay but try to keep it to a minimum. Lurk around here and find out what's good and what's not, what to look for in a figure and what to expect from a company. Set a budget and prioritize. Get a quality shelf or cabinet and set up an attractive display. /toy/ collectors are autistic and maladjusted so don't take it to heart if you post and someone spergs out over your comment. Open you goddamn toys, don't leave them imprisoned in boxes. Avoid Funko at all costs. Welcome to collecting.
>>
Sinon is a solid figure, it's getting a re release soon, if you buy it now be sure to get an original (not bootleg) for non aftermarket price (l wouldn't go higher than 6000 yen)
>>
>>6198128
The best, affordable Star Wars line is that of the SH Figuarts.
Truly a scaled down hot toys if you ask me in my imo opinion.
Here#s the Official website showcasing the series (ignore the realisation series as that isn't canon)
http://tamashii.jp/special/sw/

Figuarts for Super Sentai as well

As for XMen, well I think Marvel Legends may be your best bet, however Revoltech did show off a Wolverine but for the life of me can not find a picture right now.

There's also a Mafex of Wolvie if you're into Megos.
>>
File: Sinon.jpg (314KB, 1209x1511px) Image search: [Google]
Sinon.jpg
314KB, 1209x1511px
>>6198111

There's a rerelease coming so buy that instead of getting scalped for the original
>>
>>6198129
why pay through paypal?

I was thinking about just using a credit card.
>>
>>6209022
Works better for me as a US customer. Many CCs have trouble purchasing overseas due to fraud prevention. Also, it's easier to get your money back in the rare occasion that you get stiffed
>>
>>6198111
I buy the bottleg aliexpress version, totaly worth it.
>>
One piece of advice that I found useful is in learning how to curtail your collection and spending. When I started collecting first I was like a dog chasing cars; there are so many amazing figures that it can be overwhelming and pretty quickly you'll have a tonne of flavour-of-the-month stuff that you impulse bought, that you might regret. So maybe think about the franchises you really love and try to limit it to those with the occasional dip outside of that.
>>
>>6213687
This is very true, I have lots of stuff from when first started collecting that I don't really want anymore and looks out of place in my collection.

Sticking to just a few things makes it much easier to have a nice looking display. Have a look around the internet at other people's displays and get an idea of what you want your collection to look like.
>>
>>6213687
>>6213724
There are quite a few figures in my collection that were bought on pure impulse that I now love after watching/playing what it comes from. Impulse buying has it's advantages because if you wait until you actually appreciate the IP it may be too late to pick things up.

I think more realistic advice would be...expose yourself to toys as early as possible to reduce the number of hype/impulse purchases. So pay attention to events like Wonfes, Toy Fair and Tamashii Nations for news on toys. The sooner you see a prototype the more your initial feelings of awe subside. Then you can focus on buying the stuff that still gets you super excited 6+ months later. This is especially important because import prices are going up and so spending $60+ on something you better know you want it beyond some brief few day/week period of super hype.
>>
>>6213771
>Then you can focus on buying the stuff that still gets you super excited 6+ months later

I think this is solid advice, I've noticed too that I've been applying this attitude to my collecting aswell.
It's great you don't regret some of your impulse buys, but I've heard a lot of people (myself included) who have or just never picked up that IP. My original advice was really just for a beginner, to avoid getting too carried away. In my case all that stuff about WonFes/preordering/planning etc. didn't come until later.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.