[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the 'collectible' toy market so saturated with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: 1200x630_GotG_PM.jpg (149KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
1200x630_GotG_PM.jpg
149KB, 1200x630px
Why is the 'collectible' toy market so saturated with Copy+Paste shit? When did joints and realism stop being cool?
>>
File: Batman66PM_1200x630.jpg (178KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Batman66PM_1200x630.jpg
178KB, 1200x630px
>>6179161
I legitimately thought that your pic was from a parody or spoof. Turns out they are real.

I have no idea, I guess easier to produce? I don't mind no joints sometimes, but the sculpts should at least be different. If you want to sacrifice sculpt, put that energy into something else (paint, articulation, etc.).
>>
>>6179161
those are designer butt plugs, op.

the sex toy spam gets old quick
>>
The casual toy market is probably the main money generator for the toy industry. The after market is big with scalpers and collectors buying multiples but the vinyl collectable market copy/pasting is the sort of uniform collectable that the market was asking for. Tbh over engineered figures with 68 points of articulation aren't that great. You pose it and leave it there, or you move it a couple of times and it's loose as your mother
>>
there is a significant amount of the mass market that doesn't care about realistic toys they can "play" with...they only care about the "cool" factor and stuff they can put on desks
>>
corporate is cheap and lazy. they've learned through experience that nerds will buy literally almost anything to exemplify their nerdiness.
>>
File: 445-Sonic_Totem.jpg (147KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
445-Sonic_Totem.jpg
147KB, 900x1200px
>>6179204
>nerds will buy literally almost anything to exemplify their nerdiness.

This. People buy totem images in some sort of effort prove they're fans of a property.
>>
File: IMG_20160109_010802.jpg (703KB, 2160x1160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160109_010802.jpg
703KB, 2160x1160px
What I want to know is where did the figurines go? I could find some decent figurines from most properties mabye less than twenty years ago, but now you'll be lucky if you find any. I wish there was a company willing to make figurines like these for characters and properties not overdone by the big toy companies. Shit, I'd kill for a series of GWAR or Aquabats figurines.
>>
>>6179210
no worse quality that most of his recent games
>>
>>6179644
I agree. Seems the only figurines these days that aren't retardedly stylized are Pokemon ones.
>>
>>6179644
I think the small scale market sort of dried up due to costs

the big toy companies make these types of things for their properties still...only now they put them in blind bag/boxes
>>
File: 18-Custom-Toys.jpg (95KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
18-Custom-Toys.jpg
95KB, 500x667px
A combination of it being cheaper to reuse molds and the (once) popularity of customized vinyl toys.
>>
>>6179736
I remember enjoying those. They had no POA but they worked. Wish I still had my Poliwhirl, but they all got sold at a garage sale ages ago. A shame most companies have given up making toys like that.

>>6179742
I wouldn't mind all of the collectibles if they weren't so big, but I get that they make them that size to justify the price. I don't have the room for all these toys when they're this big. And I refuse to buy blind bags/boxes without knowing for sure what's inside of them. I pretty much only waste my time with Lego Minifigures since those are easy to figure out with a bit of bag groping.
>>
>>6179161
>When did joints and realism stop being cool?

Wow when did they stop making articulated or realistic toys?
>>
>>6179789
Honestly I really like the "Marvel 500" toys which you can also feel to find what you want. They feel like an upgraded army man figure, a little bit like a high quality board game piece or something. I know the paint jobs can suck on some of them but some are nice
>>
>>6179210
Yeah..... that sounds like most toy buying. You're telling me you play with your toys and swish and zoom them around and have grand adventures with them? I seriously doubt it.
>>
>>6179851
I photograph my toys. Buying them gets me feeling creative and has me searching for accessories for them and building dioramas. I also buy lego, which I usually buy from Bricklink (as opposed to just collecting sets) because I enjoy coming up with my own creations.

So yes, toys are a more involved hobby for me than just collecting a property. Hell, I actually don't even own any toys from my three most favorite anime (Evangelion, first Gunbuster, or original Macross)
>>
>>6179851
how often do you hear people say things like, "well no, i don't really like the style of funko pops, but this is the only merchandise this series gets"

because that happens an awful lot
>>
>>6179792
/thread
>>
File: 4L_ZniUil9U.jpg (64KB, 467x723px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ZniUil9U.jpg
64KB, 467x723px
Tired of the funko ones and the same over priced limited nendoroid, figma, videogames, pop culture shit. Thinking in opening a designer toy store, static ones as entry product. The articulated decent ones (pic related) and heavily worked diy kits and paper toys, and materials for those who want to create something and 3d printed parts and accessories for exhibition. Stop looking at munnys and dunnys as the top ones. Look for coarse's scorpion for mortal combat x collector edition. And 3A toys. Static high detailed ones, articulated, accesorized, and fabric clothed.
>>
>>6179204
Is it right to call normalfags nerds though? They are fake as fuck
>>
>>6180060
Well call it market segmentation, normies buy low price low detail lazy static products, harcore fans will buy the high end collectible ( articulated or highly detailed or graphic atractive)
>>
>>6179161
>When did joints and realism
I don't think ALL toys need joints or realism.
But if they don't they should have some other play value and maybe some nice designs. Pop vinyls and all of those uninspired plastic turds don't seem to have joints, detail, playability or design in their favor. What's worse Is my sister has a couple of those dorbis things and they don't even seem to have great paint aps or QC.
I'm pretty sure the entire appeal of these collectable lines backs on 1. the consumer being completely blinded by the property the figure represents and 2. the consumer doesn't have the knowledge to research and track down superior figures representing the same property.
>>
>>6179898
>"well no, i don't really like the style of funko pops, but this is the only merchandise this series gets"
My problem with this argument is it almost always applies to TV series and movies that are most poorly represented by POP's style. Like American Horror Story.
>>
>>6179161

Some of this shit is actually making Fucko POPS not look so bad.

Is that what they're aiming for, or something?
>>
>>6180354
I'm not sure, there. People insist Funkos are super popular, but I always see them shelf warming and eternally clogging shelves at LCCs.
These spinoffs and new plastis templates are almost always made by Funko themselves, which makes it seem like they are trying to explore alternatives for people who notice how ugly Funko Pops are.
>>
>>6179161
Being a nerd these days is cool, but toy collecting still has a negative stigma. These novelty pieces of shit don't have that. Wanna be geeks buy them to seem like real collectors but aren't willing to pay 20+ dollars on a figure. It's basically a way for people to collect without being made fun of, I've been made fun of by people who buy that kinda stuff for spending 20+ dollars on figures.
>>
The real question is how does that prick from Bif Bang Pow stay in business?? Most of his shit is like Loot Crate fodder. These are seriously like the late 70s Fisher Price Little People which were basically a peg. Can't believe this shit is real sometimes.
>>
>>6179644
Didn't Palisades or SOTA or someone do some GWAR figures back in the day?

But yeah, I think >>6179749 hit the nail on the head. The current trend of "designer geek toys" or whatever you want to call them was built on the corpse of the designer vinyl scene. A common trend in that whole subculture was treating a sculpt more like a canvas than a 3D representation of something, with the interest coming from what a given artist could make on that particular canvas. It was about the aesthetics rather than how accurately it portrayed something, if that makes sense. When Funko and company came along, they realized that they could combine that with the licensed characters by just slapping halfassed renditions of characters onto a simple blank body, making 20-something Redditors think that the toys were "artsy" renditions of the characters because they shared a base body (completely missing the point). It's like if you had a bunch of artists selling little canvas paintings they'd made in a niche community, only for a big company to come along and drive the artists out of business by convincing the public that mass-printed copies of someone's shitty Batman fanart would look nicer on their wall because of "geek pride" or whatever.
>>
>>6180359
Most people I know own at least one.
>>
>>6179881
>no Evangelion toys
Get the Cu-Poches, they're adorable
>>
>>6180390
>The real question is how does that prick from Bif Bang Pow stay in business??
BBP is the "production" wing of Entertainment Earth. So all of their losses get pushed onto EE. EE makes a lot of its money fucking its shop clients. See, when EE deliberately breaks up and order, they skim extra shipping fees. When they lie about a product and you cancel, they take a restocking fee. When you go under because they keep fucking your supply chain, they collect more fees.

They're a complete joke and the joke is on the people they take for a ride thinking they can run a store with those assholes as their supplier.
>>
>>6180811
I just...I cannot caution you enough about getting into bed with these people. They're are borderline impossible to run a business with. They post info that they know is false and they put a death grip on your money. You will find yourself without product when you need it most and crushed under piles of bills when you can afford it least.

At the end of my dealings with them I left them holding a small bag but it's nothing compared to how much they stole from me over the last few years.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.