[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the BEST figure of Unit 01? One that's around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 33

File: IMG_8119.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_8119.jpg
1B, 486x500px
What's the BEST figure of Unit 01? One that's around the 5"-7" range? Is it pic related?
>>
File: 4.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
4.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>6166012
Revoltech is the most most accurate and has better articulation.
>>
>>6166021
What about it makes it more accurate?
>>
>>6166021
>that head
>accurate
Jeez

I know /toy/'s been going down hill but still. You need like 3 different Revoltech Eva-01s to make a decent looking one. At some point you should just get one of the models.
>>
>>6166012
Yep, robot damashii eva is the best eva toy Ive had the pleasure of playing with. Revoltech is still good and cheap but once you go RD you cant go Revoltech ever again
>>
SOC SPEC XS-01R or Rebuild, Robot Damashii if you don't mind the ugly hip joints.
>>
Not OP but what are the good kits?
>>
>>6166021
I love that one, I bought it recently and the head swap they gave makes it look really badass. 10/10 My only complaint with those is that the little charging pump in the back's cord breaks too easy.
>>
>>6166027
revoltech can pull off dynamic poses like the show does
RD only looks good in standing poses mostly
>>
>>6166148
Um, no. RD looks great in any pose. Even Unit 3 looks fantastic pulling off the animal like poses from the anime.
>>
>>6166176
Nah, it's too stiff. It doesn't look natural.
>>
File: IMG_5757.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_5757.jpg
1B, 486x500px
The RDs are the shit. Passing on the reissue of 01 a couple years back is a huge regret for me. I only have the night combat version but yeah, they're possibly the most awesomely articulated figure there is
>>
>>6166176
t. guy who paid premium for RD
>>
>>6166106
Kotobukiya Rebuild kits are pretty great, if not a little pricey.
>>
>>6166176
Naw, it's fucking awful hips make any sort of dynamic pose look like shit.

Why they decided to give it such birth giving hips is beyond me, ruins a decent sculpt.
>>
A lotta bois here preaching the hip meme.

As someone who actually has owned BOTH I can tell you that, unless you are dead set on the TV version, the RDs are the definitive Eva figs. They're not flimsy, not stiff, great paints apps and sculpt and have human like articulation--which is great because eva's are giants wearing armor.

Because they are pretty hard to find, a lot of people rather convince themselves that they are not good.
>>
>>6166354
>have human like articulation--which is great because eva's are giants wearing armor.

Wow this is definitely a creative excuse for mediocre articulation.
>>
File: $_12.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
$_12.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>6166012
>>
>>6166356
????
The RD articulation is fantastic
>>
>>6166012
Robot damashii has better sculpt, feels better in hand but it's fucking expensive and has funky hips
Revoltech has better articulation and is cheap but the sculpt is not as good and the plastic doesn't feel as good, but there's also the fact that revoltech has done almost every single eva so it's the best choice if you want the whole collection.
>>
Evolution series Revoltechs looks natural in all poses, very fluid, like in mid motion. RD looks like it's broken into pieces just because of the way they have gaps to achieve articulation. Hips gets brought up because they placed the hinges at the top, on the outside rather than the inside or center of the legs. That's what gives the creepy splits look if you look at it from the front. Revoltech actually solves similar problem by having small hinged pieces covering such gaps at the crotch. Also elbow articulation is lacking compared to Revoltech.

Evolution series has a distinctive sculpt, personally I like the Q movie new designs Evas a lot better for sculpt. Also, RD 02 Beast looks like a turd.

I got them all as they were released so I'm not being stingy about paying too much or not able to have them. Not that I think that matters, but more of a poor excuse to try and ignore the fact RD got issues.

I haven't built the new Koto kit yet. Looking at it the colors seemed fine so that will probably be the "definitive" one for me as I liked the movie ver kits.

I can guarantee there will be another Revoltech or even a RD in the next few years that can only be better than previous attempts so waiting is another strategy. RD can use the Kinnikuman's hips of double ball joints at hip and upper thigh, and they've gotten better at organics so it wont look like a skinny robot this time. Yamaguchi's sculpt has improved over the years, and methodologies for the shoulder and hips of his latest Revos works well for a new Eva. And Kaiyodo loves making Evas.
>>
>>6166356
Confirmed to not own the RD.
>>
Got the RD recently for a bargain ($10 complete w/o box) and really it's far from perfect.
Those fugly hips, it's not a meme it really looks bad in almost any pose and feels like they forgot to put a piece there to cover the gap.
It has peanut knees, single jointed elbows that limit the arm range, the waist joint has gotten loose (granted it was slightly used but it's the only loose joint so far) and the torso is too gappy/segmented. I know for a fact many are just looking over these flaws just because they paid way too much for their RD.
On the other hand the revos get a lot of flak (the old ones especially) but might be just as good action figures if given the chance. The very first TV based ones are great, save for 01's head sculpt maybe. Solid, chunky and better designed at places that latter ones, like the wrists and elbows with non-ratcheted joints or the shoulder pauldrons that JUST WORK. They're cheap af too, try getting one.
>>
>>6167639
That's the V1 you tard, not the evolution.
>>
>>6166021
>that face
>accurate
Okay sure
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
s-l1600.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>ugly joints and shit proportions
>Rebuilds
Man up and make your own you plebs
>>
>>6167828
You're the tard, I WAS talking about those.
>The very first TV based ones

Also V1 revos >>>> EVO revos
Eat shit :^)
>>
>>6166012
Yup, it's pic related. In fact, it's the best rebuild figure, no matter the scale.
>>
>>6166012
By far the SoC SPECs. Comes in TV and Rebuildshit flavors. They are quite expensive though but they give you the most bang for your buck. The Revos are floppy poorly sculpted trash and the RDs have the most hideous hips in existence.
>>
>>6166012
I have a few

>SPEC NGE Eva 01
It's pretty nice. Tons of weapons, and it's got metal armor to boot. It also has incredibly accurate proportions. The articulation can be pretty limited though, and the knee pylon on mine broke off. If you can afford it this is one of the best options, but it can be pretty fragile as well.

>Revoltech F-Type Armor Eva 01
It's bad. The only revoltech aside from Getter Robo Go to have issues with joint looseness, but unlike Getter Go this thing's articulation is shit and it comes with the bare minimum weapons. It looks kinda nice just standing there with its crotch out I guess.

>RD Eva 01
Not very good, tedious to pose and feels cheap

>Kotobukiya NGE Eva 01
Probably my personal favorite out of any Eva 01 figure. Articulation and balance is REALLY nice, and it has the best head sculpt out of any Eva 01 figure (it can pull off a legit as fuck roar with the neck articulation). Looks wise it's great, but you may need to do some detailing for a complete look (so basically just panel lining). I'm afraid the jaw might break off though, so be careful with that. Of course the proportions are a little off model, but it makes up for this with the excellent articulation.

As a satisfied owner of the Revoltech Eva 00 (from 2.22) I can imagine the Eva 01 Revo is also solid
>>
File: 1390141146832.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1390141146832.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>6167903
>Also V1 revos >>>> EVO revos
Theres no arguing with shit taste.
>>
>>6168006
The Koto TV Eva is a very good toy, an annoying kit to put together, and a bad 01 since it's that off.
If you want to recreate something, the first and most important goal is to make it look like the original.
>>
>>6167842

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Kaiyodo sculptors? They made a ton of verions of the EVA 01 and never ever managed to get the headsculpt right. That's like the most unique part of the whole design, for fucks sake.
>>
The Revoltech aren't perfect but are much cheaper to track down than the RD, come with cool accessories and generally "look better" except for 01's head sculpt. All the other units look pretty fucking spot on though. They are also quite well articulated and the stylization makes them look great in action poses.

Unless you have a hatred for the Revolver joint system you will probably enjoy the Revoltech more for the price you will pay. RD were nice when they were going for $40 but good luck finding them for that price now.
>>
File: DSC_2674a.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC_2674a.jpg
1B, 486x500px
The Kotobukiya TV ver. kit is pretty good, but requires some painting.
>>
Why is there so much shit taste in every eva thread? I can't honestly tell why people still hold on to muh tv designs. Rebuid designs are just better. Can they not leave their opinions about the movies aside when talking about pure design? I mean the movies could be even worse but the eva designs would still be better. Rebuild evas are smooth as fuck in motion, the glow on unit 01 is great, yellow 00 is fucking top notch, the red details on 03 break up thebcolor scheme much better, 04 is fucking amazing and 08 looks so good it just doesn't make sense. Even more familiar designs like 13 and mk06 are nice and the weird ones like 05, mk09 and za bisto are weird but sort of cool. I'll admit that 02 loosing it's orange and having green mk06's instead of MP evas sucked and that tiger unit 02 looked like shit but still, most rebuild evas make for much better looking figures
>>
File: DSC_2563a.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC_2563a.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>6168466
>>
>>6168498
Simple color schemes works better and tends to be a more effective and memorable design.

I don't like the new 02 Yamato head horn thing, and really miss the 4 eyes open gimmick. Now everyone has a mouth.

In the end, there is very little difference in design to bitch over what's better anyways. More Evas than before, more the merrier, just keep making updated toys for every version out there.

And make some damn Angels again.
>>
>>6168539
>And make some damn Angels again.
Holy fuck, this this this. We get slight variations on the same three or so fucking designs for the last 20+ years and barely any of the unique as hell angels.
>>
>>6169255
Blame Rebuild for that.

Hopefully we'll get something decent for the 25th anniversary.
>>
>>6168503
Is that your doing, anon? I have another rebuild version coming in that I intend to paint. This is the first painted example I've seen, and it looks fantastic.
>>
>>6169466

Yes, that's my photo. The yellow on the kneecaps were unpainted, as well as the grey on the knuckles and the green stripe on the horn. Since I bought green and yellow paint to paint those details, I just painted all the green and yellow molded parts to give it some consistency. I then gave the whole thing a dull coat of topcoat.
>>
>>6169637
I'd say RD generally captures the motif. Revoltech makes them more like the EoE designs where it's a balance between the TV's masculine look and Rebuild's worm look.
>>
>>6169641
RD looks like an ugly sausage with arms, yeah.

Revoltech is this weird inbetween design which just looks like the sculptors couldn't make up their minds. So Revoltech as usual.
>>
>>6168498
Came in here expecting another Rebuild-anon spergfest and found this instead.

Oh hey, there's dat boi after all:
>>6169575
>>6169618

Reminder to report and ignore the raging autist and his silly crusade against Rebuild and yellow Evas.

-Anyway-

I got the new Koto kit last month and it's a pretty good figure representation. Unfortunately the colors are bad and it looks like a nightmare to seam-weld due to all the weird part-overlapping going on. That, and several of the seams just don't line up properly or they "sag" inwards at the edges. The entry plug mechanism is also ridiculously tight because of the slide-rail angles, so the rearmost cover panel snapped off at the internal liftarm. I had to completely disassemble the torso to cement the part back together and sand it. So far it's functioning smoother and holding strong.

I've been looking around a little for a bold-enough purple paint just in case I decide to tackle the issues, and I think Citadel's Genestealer Purple will work. Maybe darken it up a little with Xereus Purple?
>>
>>6169650
Which kit was recently released?
>>
>>6167639
>blue 00 RD NEVER FUCKING EVER
why
>>
>>6173148
Kotobukiya's kit of the TV design.
>>
>>6173256
Oh fuck, that is slick. Looking at that compared to my XS-01R, I'd take this in a heartbeat.
>>
File: IMG_4441.jpg (134KB, 800x1005px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4441.jpg
134KB, 800x1005px
>>6173206
Because RD is retarded and only does Rebuildshit.

>>6173606
I once told myself the same thing too...

Left is the rebuildshit version, right is the TV version that you're looking at.
>>
>>6173617
I was a HUGE fan of the original series when it first came out, I am not fond of a lot of things about the Rebuild designs (particularly the heads), but in retrospect, I simply think the old designs are kinda goofy. The feet look overly large and the shoulder span is a mile wide. The Rebuild Evas are kinda gaunt and hunched and creepy, which is cool to me, and I find their proportions more "balanced" overall, which I find visually appealing.
>>
>>6173622
Also wanna add: I find Koto's new TV kit to be the pinnacle of Eva 01 figures, because it brings the proportions down to reasonable levels (at least imo) while still maintaining my favorite parts about the design. The fact that the outer "teeth" are very prominent and visible is glorious.

Also, this pic >>6173617 makes the kit look more washed out than it really is I think. I have it here on my desk, and sure it's on the paler side, but not THAT pale. And it looks pretty decent once you panel line.
>>
The RD 01 is probably my favorite toy. The articulation is amazing and it's incredibly satisfying to pose and fiddle with. I kind of wish it was the TV version but I don't know if the proportions would make it as excellent of a toy.
>>
>>6173613
I mean I most certainly dig the look of the rebuilds more, but having a good representation of the series is always nice. The kit just looks great and clean, even if inferior in design to the rebuilds.
>>
>>6173744
The point of that was to point out that the Koto model kit in contrary to the stock photos is pretty bad, especially in comparison to the Rebuild one which despite having much shittier proportions has way better colors.
>>
SPEC is the best by a mile. Only problem is with armour falling off every now and then. If you're answer isn't the SPEC Evas, you probably don't have one. The RD is nice, but the SPEC has better (and lots more) accessories, better articulation, better size, better gimmicks and a better look overall. Plus there's the bonus of them having all three original EVAs, including blue 00! Some kits are quite good too.
>>
>>6173785

I don't understand what could possibly lead you to say that the SPEC has better articulation. Overall I like the SPEC line more as representations of the EVA units just because I strongly prefer the look/proportions, and I love the size/heft, and the articulation is certainly good, but the RDs are more poseable than 99% of the action figures ever made, and I'd recommend anyone get one just to fiddle with even if (like me) it's not really your preferred look for the EVAs cause they're just really fun. There's no way you can call the articulation better on the SPECs unless I guess you just mean because you don't like how the hip joints look on the RDs or something.
>>
>>6166420
Did they ever make RD's of the tv design's or is it all from rebuild?
>>
>>6173941
All rebuildshit. For better or for worse is up to you to decide.
>>
>>6173774

I have a few issues with the TV kit, but the colors aren't bad at all. >>6173613
just a shitty picture. Pic related is the same kit pictured here >>6168466 >>6168503, but unpainted. The only thing I did was paint the green and yellow bits, since I had the paint, and give it a dull coat top layer.
>>
File: DSC_2540as.jpg (903KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2540as.jpg
903KB, 1500x997px
>>6173968

lol forgot pic.
>>
>>6173969
It looks nice indeed.
Can you post some more pics of the TV kit, anon?
>>
File: DSC_2672as.jpg (945KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2672as.jpg
945KB, 1500x997px
>>6174074

This is the only other picture I took for the time being. I can post more later, maybe tomorrow.
>>
>>6174098
That would be great, anon.
Thank you.
>>
How are the Bandai Hobby kits?
>>
File: TOY-RBT-4116.jpg (83KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
TOY-RBT-4116.jpg
83KB, 600x600px
Speaking of the kits, did anyone pick up the halloween eva 01 kit koto did last year?
>>
>>6177570
its a burning godzilla crossover..
>>
>>6166021
>that awful tacky paintjob
"No"
>>
Honestly one of my biggest problem with the revotechs is that they can't look up. Sprinting is a pretty important pose for evas to do, and none of them can look up far enough to be convincing. I love unit 08, but she can't really use her sniper rifle properly lying down.

Aside from that, they're alright. I still prefer the RDs, but the revoltechs will do, especially for the ones bandai never got to.
>>
File: kDmwUp5.jpg (190KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
kDmwUp5.jpg
190KB, 1152x2048px
>>6166021
>better articulation
>>
File: D4XQqS4.jpg (212KB, 1600x1141px) Image search: [Google]
D4XQqS4.jpg
212KB, 1600x1141px
I brought gifts. They're not mine, evageeks is the source.
>>
File: DE3hujz.jpg (233KB, 1600x1222px) Image search: [Google]
DE3hujz.jpg
233KB, 1600x1222px
>>6178549
I think the far left is the bandai hg rebuild repaint
mid left is kotobukiya rebuild.
mid right is kotobukiya "tv version"
and right one is bandai's old hg.
>>
File: 3Gr9PhY.jpg (216KB, 1600x1090px) Image search: [Google]
3Gr9PhY.jpg
216KB, 1600x1090px
>>6178557
I think it's easy to tell which company did a better job at each version. (bandai's cheap rebuild cashgrab, and koto's we havn't seen the series models)
>>
File: Eva01_berserk.png (318KB, 708x540px) Image search: [Google]
Eva01_berserk.png
318KB, 708x540px
>>6178549
>>6178557
Thanks for posting these, I love comparisons. This also sorta illustrates why I love the Koto TV kit so much. One important feature of Eva 01 to me is the teeth on the outer jaws. I loved the way they were drawn very prominent and angular in the anime, so I tend to look for kits that portray this. To the best of my memory, most of the old Bandai kits don't really have this (or don't focus much on it, leaving the teeth sorta flat and bland). Even the PG has very flat teeth. The Koto sculpt really seems to emphasize them, so I immediately loved it.

Sadly, Rebuild seems to have simply done away with this part of the design altogether.
>>
>>6178566
do you own the bandai kits or the spec eva?
I kinda wish the koto didn't have water decals. and had red inner mouth, plus that green thing on the horn.
I have the spec, the koto tv kit, gonna build the bandai kit soon. I can do a comparison review.
>>
>>6178587
I had a bunch of the Bandai kits, yes, of varying grades. I haven't seen them in years though. I bought them and built them back when they first came out and they went into storage when I moved out of my parents' house.

I never owned the Spec. I heard good things about them of course, but I never liked the look of them. The silver replacing the lavender, the general proportions, the slightly mushy sculpt, even the finish on the plastic. I just never found it attractive.

Also, yeah, me too, I wish the TV kit had a painted horn stripe. Seems like it would have been easy for them to do, and the kit doesn't even include a sticker for it. Same for the inner kneepads really, they had the yellow plastic to make it happen. The red inner mouth I can kinda understand cause there's no other red plastic on the kit, but again, a prepainted part woulda been nice. At least that last one is very easy to remedy, even if you have shaky hands.
>>
File: IMG_2791.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2791.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Here are some notes I took way back on what kind of Eva toys are available-especially more obscure ones:

>Chogokin Anima Super Evangelion (http://www.toyboxcollection.com/reviews/animaeva01/)
>Movie Realization Eva with F type parts(http://robotjapan.proboards.com/thread/12930/movie-realization-eva-01)
>RIOBOT Creation Eva(http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2012/riobot_creation_evangelion01_test_type)
>Soul of Chogokin GX-14 Eva(http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2003/evangelion_unit_01)
>Banpresto S.C.M (Special Collection Model) EX Eva
http://ameblo.jp/hinjaku/entry-10997062141.html
http://ameblo.jp/hinjaku/entry-10468906486.html
>Kaiyodo Xebec Toys
>High Complete Modelhttp://www.amazon.com/Evangelion-Complete-Progressive-EVA-01-Accessories/dp/B000RHKZJ2 (lots of accessories, weapon storage locker)

ichiban kuji evas(banprestos prize figures)(It's as tall as the lmhg eva's leg and definetly smaller than chogokin spec. Dunno about revoltechs, I don't have those)

I have two very old Revos. First Evas, they're decent. I also have the RD one and it's fucking fantastic. People highlight the articulation and sculpt and while those are stellar I want to point out how blown away I was by that release. It -feels- so high quality and firm yet smooth. The Eva balances so nicely, it's not lightweight cheap but it's not stupidly heavy either. There's plenty of accessoires; loads of different hands. I'm really happy with that figure.
>>
File: 20170212_161644.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170212_161644.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
I have one revoltech and one RD 01

I regret picking up the revoltech
>>
>>6178723
>Non-evolution model
jej
>>
>>6178764
anyone has the medicom RAH?
>>
>>6178764
RD 01 is one of my favorite figures and is great for picking up and just mess around with

why would i need another 01 ?
>>
>>6178782
I do. It looks great and posed well out of the box. However, the ankle joints on mine have become incredibly loose to the point of the figure being unable to stand without support. The elbow joints are also not as tight as they were OOB.
What's weird is that the joints became loose on their own. I hadn't touched it for years, it just stood on a shelf.
>>
>>6178866
The original guy is right, though. The Revo has more range.
>>
>>6178871

IMO, and this is just an opinion, it's okay to disagree, here's my list as far as balance of accuracy and articulation.

Kotobukiya > Damashii > Revoltech > RAH > Kaiyodo (the old, old ones in fixed poses)

I'm just glad we have so many options.
>>
>>6178890
>>6178871

Also I'm not sure where the Bandai PG fits since I've never seen one.
>>
File: 20110125134755.jpg (191KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
20110125134755.jpg
191KB, 500x375px
>>6178871
Well, here's the thing. The RD feels really nice and easy to pose, and it is capable of a huge range of motion. The Revo is okay to pose but sometimes it feels like you're fighting it. And while it does have a huge range of motion as well, I feel like it SELLS it better because of the sculpt and the way you can force joints past their limits with tricks like popping them out, moving them, and reinserting them. Basically what I'm trying to say is, the Revo simply looks more dynamic than the RD in almost any given pose. It's definitely a Yamaguchi sculpt through and through, his sculpts always look great in action.

Like, take this photo. The RD could do this pose too, but it wouldn't look nearly as dynamic. This shit looks great, tightly wound like a spring and ready to leap into action.
>>
>>6178971
The dynamic look doesn't come from the sculpt it comes from the jointing. If the RD has better articulation then it can pull off the same look by having the torso lean forward and popping the hips forward.

I don't have the RD but if it's all it's cracked up o be it should be able to pull it off.
>>
>>6178723
If you don't want it I'll take it
>>
>>6178975
Not that guy but sculpt plays into "feel" or otherwise statues with specific sculpts would have no reason to be anything but detail-less blobs in a pose. Revo Spidey in the same pose as Marvel Legends Spidey "feel" different.

The proportions, the way details are sculpted and how things are jointed all affect the feel and how well certain poses get sold. The RD can in fact get in that pose but it'd look nothing like the Revo in that same pose.
>>
>>6178975
Incorrect. With Revos, it's ALL about the sculpt. You seem new here (or at least very uneducated about Revos), cause damn near everyone knows that Yamaguchi's sculpts are 100% responsible for the dynamism.

Take note of how the jutting angle of the top and the swooping curvature of bottom of the Eva's thighs accentuates the line of the leg. Look at how the extraordinarily shapely calf rises to meet it. Look at how the hip breaks away from the line of the thigh as an entire separate piece, giving the hip a severe 90 degree angle. Look at the long, lean, craning neck (a recurring feature in Yamaguchi sculpts). All of these things and more combine to give this figure dynamism. The RD is very good, but it doesn't have that spark, that life, to its poses.

I don't have my RD with me, but I wish I did so I could mimic that pose and show you how huge the difference is.
>>
>>6166021
In what way is this more accurate? It looks good, but it's way too stylized to be considered accurate.
>>
>>6178990
>The RD can in fact get in that pose but it'd look nothing like the Revo in that same pose.
Then do it
>>
>>6179032
>You seem new here (or at least very uneducated about Revos),
Revos get their dynamism from the cuts and jointing, not the sculpt. Sculpt-wise the Revoltech Revy is more primitive (i.e. blocky) than a lot of modern figmas and Figuarts, but can pull of significantly more dynamic poses than almost all of the figures from the aforementioned lines.

That's because dynamism comes from asymmetry, but specifically asymmetry that emphasizes a difference in weight. The elementary example of this is contrapposto, which is achieved with a very simple and relaxed pose for which 90% of its dynamism comes from a simple tilting of the hips and clavicle, which affects how the torso and limbs are weighted.

Now compare the relatively rigid geometry of the conventional (but ideal) anatomy of Classical statues against a cartoon design like something out of Transformers Animated, which feature heavily stylized human anatomy mixed with distorted hard surface geometry. The classical statues are significantly more dynamic with a simple pose than most of the animated show, and certainly more than the TFA standing concept art.

You have a grave misunderstanding of art if you think sculpt is where the revoltechs get their dynamism from. It's 99% from the way the figures are cut and jointed, because really, Revoltech's sculptors do a fairly poor job and take far too many liberties. Given, some of the sculpt has to be sacrificed for the joints.
>>
>>6179032
>>6179155
It's both.
>>
File: 20170213_025733.jpg (867KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_025733.jpg
867KB, 2048x1152px
>>6178971
Thing is in the show the evas are often seen in their hangar standing perfectly straight. Or that almost iconic hunching over when the clamps are released after the elevator ride.

Dynamic sculpt kinda gets in the way there
>>
>>6179505
Few things.

The revoltech has a much closer knee bend angle than the RD, so you're just not going to get it there; notice how the heel looks like it touches the butt on the revoltech. And again the revoltech has a much wider angle for the leg stretch, so I don't think the RD is comparable.

But the neck should be down slightly lower, and the held tilted slightly more up and with its chin to the camera (tilted to the side). If you can do it anyway.

It honestly looks like the revoltech has a wider range of motion and it's fairly noticeable. Whoever said the RD has a better range of motion should do some explaining.
>>
>>6179155
>Revos get their dynamism from the cuts and jointing, not the sculpt
All that depends on who sculpts the figure. If it's Yamaguchi, his sculpting style is one of the most distinctive things along with how he adjusts his sculpt to allow for the most extreme poses possible.

Some of the other sculptures for Revo do focus more on detail than articulation.

It's a hard line to pin down as it branches out in so many different things and with so many different people and styles working on it there isn't a defined 'style' for Revo, just a more well known one with Yamaguchi.

Revoltech are probably the only line I actually look at who sculpts the figure when it goes up on Amiami just to get a better idea just what else to expect beyond the photos.
>>
>>6179505
This is a valiant effort, but yeah, it doesn't even come close to how dynamic the Revo looks up there.
>>
>>6168498
Shit taste
>>
>>6179505
I don't really see the point you're trying to make. Because Evas are often seen standing straight up in the hangar...that's how I should leave my figure? Like, okay, I can understand if you wanna leave your Eva in a hangar display or something, the RD would be great at that and the Revo would suck at it.

But I much prefer dynamic action posing, and I'm pretty sure 95% of the other guys here do too. And the Revo excels at that.
>>
Does anyone have the old Bandai PG from the late 90s. I wanted to pick it up but i haven't seen any reviews on it anywhere.
>>
>>6180688
no, and you shouldn't either. the body has a rubber sock around it, and you can fuck poseability when it makes the armor pop off with every move. look it up on youtube. it's simply bad toy design, with a crazy pricetag.
>>
File: IMG_8790.jpg (1MB, 3527x2358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8790.jpg
1MB, 3527x2358px
The Revoltech one only looks decent from the profile. Straight on it looks weird
>>
File: IMG_0070.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0070.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>6180688
I built it with zero experience and it's a pain in the ass. The pvc suit is very hard to stretch and will rip if not careful. The waist armor will snap without doing some kind of drilling to the slots. Posing outside of neutral is also pretty much out of the question.

If you know what you're doing you could make it really cool albeit overpriced.
>>
File: IMG_20160826_041218.jpg (582KB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160826_041218.jpg
582KB, 3024x3024px
>>6178723
Rd or bust
>>
>>6179634

The RD has a better range of motion in the fact that'd you'd never have to pop off and re-attach limbs.

The Revoltech also can't achieve any relaxed poses so that's limiting.
>>
>>6180688
Only good thing seems to be the box and everything else that comes with it. Seems neat for a collector, but I don't know if you'd want to build it.
>>
what should I buy tho?
I haven't seen all the movies for a lot of the newest figs dont appeal to me.
>>
>>6184212
Read the thread man. There is a lot of discussion on this very topic.
>>
The thing about the Revo Evas is that they always look like hunch backs. I like the RD and sure the hops are a little weird but I rather have that then an inaccurate sculpt for the head. Just wish RD would make the show versions as well.
>>
File: 20170216_044649~2.jpg (566KB, 2365x1782px) Image search: [Google]
20170216_044649~2.jpg
566KB, 2365x1782px
>>6178971
I tried real hard and pic related is my result.
I went in trying to kind of prove you wrong, not because I dislike Revoltechs or think you're full of shit, but because I took it as a challenge.
In doing so I really know what you meant, though to be fair I feel like the picture ain't doing it justice.
>>
>>6184867
You should twist the head so we can see the underside of the chin a little.
>>
>>6184867
>>6179505
In both pictures it becomes very clear that the Revoltech seen in >>6178971 maintains a much cleaner and less broken up torso section. The RD gets really gappy and ugly in comparison.
>>
>>6177570
i got it. only snapped the legs together so far so i got nothing to show
>>
>>6184932
can't win with you. This is that Halo thread all over again
>>
After this thread I've decided I want to get the Revoltech Unit-01, but I'm a complete newfag. Will I be overpaying out the ass if I go to amazon? Amiami doesn't seem to have them available.
>>
>>6184867
God I wish there were TV damashiis.
>>
>>6184867
This looks better than the first guy's attempt, but still isn't quite as good as the Revo. And this is coming from a guy who likes playing with the Damashii more than the Revo--it just feels better. But I can admit that the Revo often looks better in hyper-dynamic poses.

>>6185118
All I can say is make sure you get the EVO version (ie, the newest one they made, that comes with the Sachiel base). Kaiyodo made dozens of Eva 01 Revoltechs and most of the older ones are not very good. And nah, I guess Amazon isn't too bad of a deal...I did some looking around and I suppose that's a decent price given that the figure is out of production.
>>
>>6185157

Since I have a gift card, the price isn't too painful at all. Thanks for the advice, anon, I didn't even know they made a bunch of different revoltechs of the same thing, though I guess if it's Eva it's a given huh?
>>
>>6185167
To add on to the other anon, getting the Legacy edition is a safe bet. I don't want to get into it too much but those you can be sure they have the new, better joints. And most of them are the EVO version.
>>
File: Idiots.jpg (354KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
Idiots.jpg
354KB, 1024x684px
I got RD 01 and 03 and Revo for the rest.They're both pretty easy to pose (except for Mark 09 and 03 has a sticky hip joint), but I've found the RDs to be a lot better at standing up on their own. I also think that the RD 01 and 03 are a lot better looking than their Revo counterparts.
>>
>>6185248
Also the RD's shoulder pylons are less of a pain in the ass.
>>
File: header.jpg (106KB, 1000x553px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
106KB, 1000x553px
googled revos out of curiousity. god, these look horrible. they're stupid toyetic and cheap looking. they all have revoltech disease.
>>
>>6185257
The fundamental design on them is great for functionality, but they're very shallow sockets and they get loose really fast. It's to the point where I'm a little scared to actually use the extra arm gimmick on 03 because that's where they plug into.

The revoltechs used a bunch of different designs for them, though. I think I liked 08's the best, it didn't really get in the way in most positions.
>>
>>6184867
Looking at the hips, disjointed torso, and knees; it really feels like bandai didn't want this figure to look good in dynamic poses.
>>
>>6185876
I wouldn't bother, honestly. Since they're held on by that tiny balljoint connection (plus they're pretty heavy), attaching the extra arms is just an exercise in frustration. Mine started sagging pretty quickly, and of course they pop out super easily.

It's kind of a shame, cause the extra arms were one of my favorite parts of it onscreen. I'm sorta thinking about tracking down the Revo instead, I bet the extra arms are sturdier at least with Revolver joints in em.
>>
>>6185879
these are not bandai products, nor was the original designed by bandai. what are you talking about?
>>
>>6185120

Me as well.
>>
Any guesses on which new Eva kit we'll see this weekend at WonFes? I'm guessing it'll be yellow Unit 00, but I want 02 more.
>>
>>6185903
What on earth are YOU talking about? He was replying to a post showing the Robot Damashii Eva 01, which is manufactured by Bandai.
>>
File: ah.png (621KB, 952x539px) Image search: [Google]
ah.png
621KB, 952x539px
>>6185867
Wow they look fucking trash compared to RD.
>>
Bit off topic but in what order would you guys recommend I start watching Evangelion?
>>
>>6199004
first the series, then end of eva

then the rebuilds if you want.

So basically just watch them in order, but skip the first movie, since that was just a retelling of the series, and the 2nd movie End of Eva is the true ending, so it picks up right after where the series leaves off
>>
>>6199004
Production date.
>>
>>6199004
more or less what >>6199509 said
Episodes 1-24
Episodes 25-26 (first ending)
The End Of Evangelion (second enging)

they're not really separate endings but you'll see. Then, if you can't get enough, watch the rebuilds (1.11, 2.22 and 3.33) 1.11 is basically just a new flashy hd version of the first 6 episodes, but things drift away from the show plotline in 2.22 and 3.33
>>
>>6185910
Your wish was granted, fool.
>>
File: 1470976873986.jpg (65KB, 649x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470976873986.jpg
65KB, 649x720px
>>6200234
Indeed it was.
>>
>>6185867

I actually rather like the beefier proportions of the middle one. Does a TV version exist with a similar sculpt or would that be my only option?
>>
>>6166021
Every Revo 01's head sculpt pisses me the fuck off. I can't stand it.
>>
>>6200234
Pics? Link?
Thread posts: 141
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.