[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with modern Lego sets not including proper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

What's the deal with modern Lego sets not including proper base plates that extend beyond the buildings?
>>
File: takodana.jpg (444KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
takodana.jpg
444KB, 4096x2304px
What's up with playsets not having base plates all?
>>
Lego is creatively completely dead. It's just Star Wars and some stupid clusterfuck sets.
>>
>>6148997
Why waste the time with unique pieces for one set instead of churning out another 5 Star Wars sets?
>>
If memory serves, the baseplates are manufactured in a different facility due to their being too big for the molding equipment they use in their usual factories. Since every baseplate would have to be manufactured separately and shipped to the facility where the rest of the set is assembled and packed, the costs add up, to the point where it would make set prices higher than a lot of customers are willing to pay in this era of high plastic costs.
>>
>>6149024
They could sell raised base baseplates separately like they do with the regular ones at TRU, but that's just wishful thinking.
>>
>>6149032
Speaking of, why can you only get sand and gray baseplates? I remember seeing water, grass and road baseplates in most stores back in the day
>>
>>6148997
Some autists will probably yell at you for not posting this in the Lego General

>>6149024
>the baseplates are manufactured in a different facility due to their being too big for the molding equipment they use in their usual factories. Since every baseplate would have to be manufactured separately and shipped to the facility where the rest of the set is assembled and packed, the costs add up, to the point where it would make set prices higher than a lot of customers are willing to pay in this era of high plastic costs.
This anon is correct. The actual baseplates are made by Bayer. Lego still includes baseplates in the modular Creator line for the $150+ sets.

>>6149032
>They could sell raised base baseplates separately like they do with the regular ones at TRU, but that's just wishful thinking.
They could, but the profit margins aren't enough to justify the effort. The Lego Group almost went bankrupt in the early 2000s because they were too free with plastic (the large raised baseplates being one of the chief offenders).

>>6149068
>Speaking of, why can you only get sand and gray baseplates? I remember seeing water, grass and road baseplates in most stores back in the day
The Lego Store typically carries green, gray, and tan baseplates, and gray roadplates. Blue baseplates were taken off the market a couple of years ago.

If you're familiar with the website Bricklink, you can usually get baseplates for about $10 each, which is only a couple of dollars higher than their retail price, and you can get them in different colors like red, brown, etc. that came from the modulars.
>>
Baseplates eat up a good portion of the price of a set, and leave you with less bricks for your buck.

Sure, they're """""cool""""" but I'd rather not have them driving up the cost of big sets
>>
>>6149017
>Lego is creatively completely dead
Yup. I knew they'd just chase the licensing money the day the first Star Wars sets were announced.
>>
>>6149017
Not only Lego but the consumers, too.
Wanna know why the alternative builds / building inspirations on the back of the boxes have vanished over the years?
Because parents complained that there are no instructions for them and people were apparently too dumb to figure them out by themselves.
>>
File: Fortrex2.jpg (346KB, 1256x941px) Image search: [Google]
Fortrex2.jpg
346KB, 1256x941px
>>6149017
>clusterfuck sets

que????????????
>>
sure is lazy in here. Raised baseplates are for lazy, uncreative children who can't moc their own secret dungeon like Op; who clearly can't.
>>
>>6148997
costly to make, bigger boxes etc
>>
I don't get why they don't try some of the raised baseplates in new sets from time to time. Cost can get fucked, people eat up $60 star wars sets because of minifigs with piece counts under 150. Give me a nice baseplate set you fucking facists.
>>
>>6149172
>The Lego Store typically carries green, gray, and tan baseplates, and gray roadplates. Blue baseplates were taken off the market a couple of years ago.
>If you're familiar with the website Bricklink, you can usually get baseplates for about $10 each, which is only a couple of dollars higher than their retail price, and you can get them in different colors like red, brown, etc. that came from the modulars.

Lego has a service on their site called Bricks & Pieces. It's in the same place as requesting missing pieces. You can buy baseplates there too in all colors that are being produced for sets right now. I found it funny that the brown and grey baseplates exclusive to the expensive Modular Houses cost even less in some cases than the plates you can get in stores.
>>
>>6152661
I find hills and such look better when they are made out of normal bricks. But raised plates aren't extremely uncommon, just buy old sets.
>>
>>6152661
Wasn't there this whole thing about how the raised base plates were actually manufactured by a different company? I remember reading something like that being the reason why they aren't included anymore.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.