[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone here explain to me why they're selling toys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_20170119_191849.jpg (993KB, 1934x2604px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170119_191849.jpg
993KB, 1934x2604px
Can someone here explain to me why they're selling toys based off the Power Rangers from when I was a kid!? They're new toys, too! Someone went and made toys based off a Power Rangers series from over 20 years ago!
>>
>>6142586

Because it's still popular, nostalgia is a powerful force, theres still brand new MMPR comics featuring the original team that just came out, etc etc.
>>
I can't tell you how many times I've had to suppress the urge to buy that ridiculous Goldar toy on the bottom shelf there.
>>
>>6142586
Because us oldfags who have kids put the original series on for our kids and get them in on it too...based on the aforementioned nostalgia.
>>
>>6142592
Is it cause it's better than any Goldar we had 20 years ago?
>>
>>6142592
>I can't tell you how many times I've had to suppress the urge to buy that ridiculous Goldar toy on the bottom shelf there.
Better than the one we're getting for the movie...
>>
>>6142598

Yeah. Pretty much.

Also RC Dragonzord with the dagger as the remote.

I would have eaten this up as a kid.
>>
>>6142586
They were making toys/clothing from Looney Tunes when I was a kid in the late 80s and there hadn't really been any new Looney Tunes in decades. It wasn't even Space Jam time yet.
>>
>>6142616
Looney Tunes were active a lot longer than the 2-3 years the Dinozords were around.
>>
>>6142619

Let's just say it - the Dinozords were the best looking zords ever. Hands down no other designs ever came close.
>>
>>6142586
>doesnt gattai

What's the fucking point?

>hollow back because playset

>porportions are all wrong

Goldar looks badass though
>>
File: PANO_20170119_192128.jpg (1MB, 2528x3718px) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20170119_192128.jpg
1MB, 2528x3718px
>>6142602
They had that there too. Shitty pic, but you get the idea. There's also a Zordon/Alpha 5 set
>>
>>6142620
They're just Voltron ripoffs. Nostalgia strong in you.
>>
>>6142602
I love this thing, next time you see it twist the "action plate", makes that awesome alarm sound the lights do in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49gi0mwJf6I
>>6142630
There's also A tyrannosaurus that goes in the Goldar spot, it's about the same size as him.
>>
>>6142630
>Kid in the 90s
>America just reuses the molds from the original Sentai toys and make a few sticker changes to be Power Rangers toys in America
>While they don't transform, kids today get a giant fuck off megazord, tigerzord, dragonzord, and figures of Rita and even her jobbers
>Zordon playset with a ranger and Alpha-5
>Dat Goldar
>New original works

Really torn because I have to pay a shitload if I want the legacy zords and old toys but these exist in every store I go to and the price is not bad at all.
>>
>>6142682
I'll give you the torso connecting to the legs transformation, but the arms and chest transformations are completely different.
>>
>>6142682
>5 unique look Dino's
>4 look a like lions plus a big one
>>
>>6142630
There are these things that are like, a chibi Zord and a figure, and you can press the Zord over it to make armor. They're cute as fuck and I always want one.
>>
>>6142586
Because a lot of toys for younger kids aren't actually marketed for them; but their parents. It's much easier to sucker adults into making a biased decision based on nostalgia.
>>
>>6142622
It's a big, imposing figure that sort of "doubles" as a playset by virtue of being based of a huge pilotable robot.
What kind of no imagination autist are you?
>>
>>6142591
>nostalgia is a powerful force

Is this nostalgia for the parents or for the kids?
>>
>>6142594
This. My kids were curious about Power Rangers on Netflix and now I'm watching Super Sentai stuff with them. They've each picked up a Zord set - Pink/Pterodactyl and White/Tiger - and I got them two packs for the remaining Rangers last night. They've been having a blast with them.

>>6142602
The kids flip over this every time we see it at Target, but I'm waiting for it to get a bit cheaper than the $80 they're selling for.
>>
>>6142847
Parents buying toys for their kids.
>>
>>6142586
they know you can afford them now
and 20 years ago your, patents probabbly bought something they watched 20 years ago.
yeah in other words nostalgia
>>
>>6142616
actually while production stopped after 1969, they started making new shorts in 1987(if at a much smaller output)

>>6142720
they still make the more normal toys as well
>>
>>6142630
Imaginext is just so underrated. kids toys today are aaaall right
>>
>Batman is priced more/worth more than PR

It's like even Mattel knows that PR is the lesser franchise of the two
>>
Because the people who grew up on MMPR are now old enough to be working for those companies and deciding what gets made. It's the same reason Transformers keeps going back to the G1 nostalgia and pretty much shitting over everything else, with stuff like Beast Wars getting paltry anniversary "celebrations".
>>
>>6143147
and yet Mattel can't even bother to do MOTU in the line beyond a few "well it's not MOTU but it's a reference" type toys. I mean, shit, one of the toys is an old Kenner Ghostbusters ghost- the 2-piece blue alien- but they won't even go that far on one of their own core brands.
>>
File: Zordon_alpha.jpg (10KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Zordon_alpha.jpg
10KB, 320x240px
>>6142630
>There's also a Zordon/Alpha 5 set
picture please!
>>
>>6143101
Where is the articulation?
>>
>>6142620
>the Dinozords were the best looking zords ever.
I will have to disagree on that one.

The best looking zords ever are Titan Megazord form mystic ranger and Wild Force Megazord.

Not even Nostalgia speaking, I stopped caring about Power ranger in the middle of Zeo.
>>
>>6143139
No shit. They're probably paying a fraction of the licensing fees.
>>
>>6143552
leftside of the top shelf in this pic >>6142630
>>
>>6142586
>Black Ranger wearing the Green Ranger's Shield

Yea, they're definitely sorta targeting the parents on this one. If I had sons, I'd scoop this up in a heart beat soley because of that figure, and talk their ears off about that ONE episode Zack got to wear Tommy's shield.

Sadly, I have daughters....but my 3-year-old has at least a mild interest in super heroes and Transformers.
>>
>>6143733
>Sadly, I have daughters
They aren't into Transforming robots?
>>
File: godsigma.jpg (77KB, 590x885px) Image search: [Google]
godsigma.jpg
77KB, 590x885px
>>6142682
Voltron was just a rip off of God Sigma. The nostalgia is strong within you as well.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (185KB, 812x929px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
185KB, 812x929px
>>6143673
Thanks anon. Just got back from checking it out in person at Walmart, and they also had a new Rita Repulsa & Moon Base Toy Set

I would have killed for these cool play sets when I was a kid.
>>
>>6142682
Sentai predates Golion faggot
>>
>>6142586
Their website or marketing said some bullshit like it was for parents who wanted to play with their kids and introduce something they loved as children to them too. But obviously the designers just wanted to do it because they were fans themselves. I can't blame them.
>>
>>6143633
I disagree, but we can still be friends.
>>
>>6143733
>Sadly, I have daughters
C'mon now, having a child of a particular gender doesn't preclude them from enjoying something. My four-year-old daughter loves fairies, dolls, princesses, unicorns, super heroes, robots, monsters, aliens, and so on. They're only limited in their interests if you allow them to be. Encourage them to broaden their horizons.
>>
>>6143960
That's fantastic haha. They just need to do Squatt and Baboo to round out her gang.

[spoiler]It feels really weird to type the extremely different American names instead of the original Japanese ones now that I've started watching Zyurangers.[/spoiler]
>>
>>6144146
>My four-year-old daughter loves super heroes, robots, monsters, aliens

She likes them at 4, but once she socializes with her peers regularly in school she will likely drop those likes.
>>
>>6144153
Super hero stuff is now acceptable for girls due to capeshit blockbusters, but yeah robots and monsters are probably going to go.
>>
I picked up the Megazord last week at TRU for $20 they also have all of the Zords for like $10 and the Tyrannosaurus/Goldar for $15
For whatever reason I've never really seen the Dragonzord, Pterodactyl, White Tiger or playsets in store at TRU and I work at one.
>>
>>6144153
Unless your daughter turns out to be a Lesbo when she grows up. Than you can keep her as a Tomboy for life.
>>
>>6144146
That's true. But my 3 year old daughter is more incline to like pink Minnie Mouse shit, princess castles, and kitchen sets for some reason. I've bought her dinosaurs, Rescue Bots, and those DC Super Hero dolls, and she likes them. However, she just REALLY likes princess shit and is just obsessed with Minnie and Daisy, so I'm not going to force her to like things I like.

>>6143757
My 3 year old sort of likes Transformers, she likes them as cars so her dolls can ride them. When they turn into the robots, they're apparently bad guys and aren't invited to any of her dolls' parties. My 1 year old is...well 1. She doesn't really give much of a shit about what toy she has.
>>
>>6144297
More lesbians are feminine than you'd think, so that's not even a guarantee.
>>
>>6143633
>>6142620
I personally loved the galactabeasts/starbeasts from power rangers lost galaxy/gingaman the most.
>>
File: opera_2017-01-23_21-48-35.png (515KB, 434x474px) Image search: [Google]
opera_2017-01-23_21-48-35.png
515KB, 434x474px
>>6142620
I was always a bigger fan of Thundersaurus. The original has a lot of charm, but I love it when combining robots with animal themes have the animal heads hanging off them
>>
>>6142620
I always thought they put more thought into these than the other later Zord sets.

I'm not sure if any others had so many variations in configuring.

>Tank mode
>Regular Megazord
>Dragonzord with the red, blue, and black
>Megazord with Dragonzord shoulderpads
>Megazord with Dragonzord shoulderpads riding on a brachiosaur
>>
>>6144583
I like animal heads on chests (like Gaogaigar or Thundersaurus there), but Thundersaurus also commits two major sins in my book: animal tail arms, and animal heads as fists. It's just lazy to me, and it's why I never liked Beast Wars Megatron.

(sidenote: Voltron soooorta gets a pass for me on the animal head fists, cause the cat heads are approximately the right size to be fists and the jaws look decent when holding the sword.)
>>
>>6143987
While it is true that Sentai as a series predates Go-Lion, the first sentai team to have a combining mecha was Choushinsei Flashman, which was released in 1986. Five years after Go-Lion.

>>6143786 does correctly point out that God Sigma aired a year prior to Go-Lion and had a combining robot concept.
>>
>>6145140
Getter Robo would like to have a word with you all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhjds5BtY68
>>
>>6145143
If you want to get closer to the "ripoff" theme, there's Combattler V and Voltes V.

Just look at the pilots in both shows. See anything familiar?
>leader
>tall, lanky dude, the leader's rival
>girl
>fat guy
>short guy with glasses

And Godmars is way closer than Godsigma since it actually has four additional robots forming each of the limbs instead of just the legs.
>>
>>6145143
Getter was first in terms of idea, but the toy didn't combine
>>
>>6143960
>no pointy tits
>>
File: cool dad.jpg (149KB, 831x648px) Image search: [Google]
cool dad.jpg
149KB, 831x648px
>>6142847
>Is this nostalgia for the parents or for the kids?
see
>>6142937
>Parents buying toys for their kids.

It's not just a funny coincidence that all the toys you loved as a child in the 1980s and 1990s are being revamped, just in time for you to buy them for your own kids. I mean, the toys they're making today are crap! Remember these toys that you loved when you were too young to know better? Well, if you don't want your kids doing twerk and getting arrested, you need to raise them right! And what better way to raise them right than by making them experience all the things you experienced as a kid?

http://www.theonion.com/article/cool-dad-raising-daughter-on-media-that-will-put-h-26132
>>
>>6146023
I always cringe when I see people claim that they'll not let their kids play with any video games older than the PS2 or only watch cartoons before 2000. Luckily those people probably won't be having kids.
>>
>>6146026
I'm gonna expose my kids to older games, since I still have my Snes and Genesis, but to say you won't let your children play new videogames is dumb as shit. My reasoning is for modern history purposes. You appreciate new games and graphics more if you see what they evolved from. Plus a lot if classic games still hold up playability wise.
>>
>>6146094
See, you're fine. It's the one's that go full nostalgiafag "all toys, games, music and other media today suck, so my kid is only going to grow up with what I grew up with, never mind it'll make them a cultural hermit" assholes that are crazy.
>>
>>6142630
>Zordon/Alpha 5 set
I just realized how to make the perfect Zordon figurine.
Make it out of one of those laser etched glass crystals.
>>
this is your new rangers.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (366KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
366KB, 3000x2250px
>>6142620
I'm more partial to the Gingaman/Lost Galaxy ones, but you're not wrong. There's just something about robotic dinosaurs that just speaks to me
>>
>>6151664
I always wanted that set. I don't get why it wasn't released in America.
>>
File: MF_Titan_Megazord.jpg (51KB, 223x360px) Image search: [Google]
MF_Titan_Megazord.jpg
51KB, 223x360px
>>6143633
>The best looking zords ever are Titan Megazord form mystic ranger and Wild Force Megazord.

Never liked the Wizard hat look, or the fact that the individual zord characteristics disappear. I like my Megazords to look like they're made up of different things. Still, a cool design, but not as iconic as the MMPR/Daizyujin.
>>
>>6143147
No, companies know certain age groups are reaching the age where they have disposable income and cater to their nostalgia. Same thing is what's happening in cinemas and on TV.
>>
>>6151108
Just go buy a Legacy and watch the old show. The new Megazord looks shit as a toy but great in the movie.
>>
Since it has been mentioned:

Sentai started with the anime Gatchaman, which was used as the basis for the creation of GoRanger (the first sentai show).

The addition of giant robots did not happen until Toei did their Japanese Spider-Man show, as the giant Spider-Man robot was popular enough for them to incorporate it into Super Sentai.

The Gatchaman connection continued with Jetman, which was conceived as a homage to Gatchaman.

Also, GoLion/Voltron does have a role as inspiration/rip-off. But not for Super Sentai.

Voltron was absurdly popular when it first ran in syndication in the US and continued to be syndicated long after the production ended, in reruns. When Saban pitched Power Rangers to Fox, they explicitly pitched it as a spiritual successor to Voltron, along with describing Power Rangers as "Voltron meets Saved By The Bell" (another popular show of the early 90s).
>>
>>6153768
>Sentai started with the anime Gatchaman, which was used as the basis for the creation of GoRanger (the first sentai show)

You could argue that Godzilla and Ultraman also had a hand in Sentai and later Kamen Rider's creation, but yeah, Gatchaman was most certainly influential
>>
>>6153768
>Saved By The Bell" (another popular show of the early 90s).
Christ, have I gotten so old that this needs to be contextualized?
>>
File: Wildforce Megazord.jpg (55KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Wildforce Megazord.jpg
55KB, 1024x768px
>>6153022
I think the Mystic Megazord's Dragon mode was badass, but yea...I never cared for the actual robot mode. The Wolkaiser zord was really good though.

Anyway, best looking Megazord goes to pic related. But Wild Force had some of the best looking Megazords IMO.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.