[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have some questions about Xenomorph figures and a few others.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: ThatsAllFolks.jpg (177KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ThatsAllFolks.jpg
177KB, 640x480px
I have some questions about Xenomorph figures and a few others.

>First

I'm pretty new to this board and just picking out figures in general; I'm looking for a Xenomorph that's reminiscent of the warrior from Alien cause it's my favourite movie but I dunno who to buy from, I've got a budget of about 60$ give or take. Who should I dive for in terms of quality, posablilty and overall figure aesthetics?

>Second

Figure stands, is it like a "one-size-fits-all" kinda deal or do I have to figure out the measurements of my current and future figures?

>Third

Companies in general, like just a base line of who to not purchase from, and recommended brands.

I'm just kinda lost in all this stuff, I'm a pretty avid collector of BluRay but this is another ballpark entirely. I have a good collection of Funko Pop and of just toys from being a child and just stuff I on occasion pick up from Garage Sales and Goodwill, as well as a few decent figures I got from WalMart and GameStop. But those in hindsight seem like impulse buys to me, I like them don't get me wrong but they're stiff and hardly posable. Anyways I digress.

Just please point me in the right direction, Anons.
>>
>>6105244
1.You want Neca aliens. Unless you have a few hundred to spend on the upcoming Hot Toys figures, Neca sets the gold standard for aliens.

2. You're in luck, Neca makes their own figure stands sold separately.

3. Every single company makes good and bad figures. Every single company makes figures I would happily buy and display.
Every company except Funko.
>>
>>6105259
Alright thanks Anon, and I'm quickly seeing why people might not like Funko shit. I usually try to avoid the ones with Eyes and faces. The Songbird and Big Daddy are some favorites of mine that I own though, they can make good creatures and helmeted figures but everything else is just.. ugly. Unless you paint and modify them that is.
>>
How well received is Revoltech? I'm browsing eBay right now and am seeing some pretty snazzy deals on an Alien figure, Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper. The price is nice but I feel like the joints might be shitty or something because of it.
>>
Fuck sorry I sound like a puppy right now, but if I were to want to start painting figures, mostly Stormtroopers cause it seems like a good starting point. What kinda brushes and paint should I get?
>>
>>6105273
I have all three of those revoltech figures. Their alien big chap is the best looking in this scale, but a little small for some western figures and puny compared to the Neca Xenos. Worth getting, but make sure you know it will be a little on the smaller side.
Boba Fett and Stormies are a little skinnier than their screen counterparts, so it puts some collectors off seeing the revoltechs a bit off-model. If you can deal with skinny figures, they are extremely posable, and are able to placed in very dynamic and exciting poses.

Be cautious on ebay. If the seller is from China, or its listed as a chinese version, it's a knockoff.
>>
>>6105283
Google for toy customization guides. If you got further queries ask the customs general or 2 plastic model generals.
>>
My opinion, if you want to start collecting Alien, save your money and start with the 1979 original, nothing compares to it.
>>
>xenomorph
Fucking fan name is generic as hell. Its a goddamned alien. You dont sound more intelligent calling it "xenomorph".

"Alien-form/lifeform"
>>
>>6106044
you feel dumber when people say xeno? who hurt you?

alien is even more generic, people will know what alien youre referring to if you say xeno rather than alien
>>
I prefer to call them "Giger's Outerspace Penis Monsters."
>>
>>6106044
Google alien and tell me the majority of the results, now google xenomorph. Xenomorph is a super specific term for this specific type of alien. Getting all high and mighty because you think the term xenomorph is dumb makes you sound like a fuckwit.
>>
>>6106091
>Xenomorph is a super specific term for this specific type of alien

Ironically, it's not. It's really just another term for alien, however it's closely associated with Aliens because it was used in the film... as a generic term for alien.

It just sounds unique enough that it became the term for the Aliens.
>>
File: shmalienwarrior.jpg (53KB, 568x592px) Image search: [Google]
shmalienwarrior.jpg
53KB, 568x592px
Best xeno fig.

Fight me.
>>
>>6106044
>Fucking fan name

It's the canonical term ever since they used it in Aliens you godamn retard.
>>
>>6108594
is the tail bendy?
this is important
>>
>>6108604

Those are segmented pieces but the tip is diecast so you're going to need some future or nail polish after a while.
>>
>>6108613
nice
>>
>>6108627

He's pretty great but it's the later xeno design with the huge hips if that's a deal breaker.

I actually prefer it.
>>
>>6108594

Which is that? And in your opinion, even if it's off topic, what is the best Predator fig?
>>
Before you buy anything neca, do some research on thier QC. They are notorious for breaking and having loose sloppy joints. Check out the neca general if you don't belive me.
>>
>>6108594
Fantastic fucking figure, although I'm biased as I bought this line on clearance at barnes and Noble. Honestly, I'd pay the full cost, its that cool. Sadly, hating on the SHMA alien/Predator figures has become a thing thanks to NECA's cult over here.

I don't car how many variants or gimmicks NECA does, the SHMA is simply more poseable, and its all the Alien I need.
>>
>>6108645

It's the SH Monsterarts Alien Warrior. They also have a Big Chap but I don't own him.

No idea on what the best predator fig would be. I think the monsterarts has some issues and neca preds are the only other ones I know of. If the quality isn't that varied with them I'd go for the Predator 2 design out of personal preference.
>>
File: GUL_4934.jpg (247KB, 1000x702px) Image search: [Google]
GUL_4934.jpg
247KB, 1000x702px
The figuarts aliens scale pretty well with 1/18 figure, GI Joe, acid rain, ect.
>>
File: 5840_8.jpg (33KB, 590x419px) Image search: [Google]
5840_8.jpg
33KB, 590x419px
>>6108658

Yeah think I got mine on the cheap too and was pleasantly surprised. I think it gets more hate just for being the less popular design but I love it I think it has just the right amount of exaggeration and flair.

Xeno figs are like Spiderman figs in that they practically demand you pick them up and change their pose so they make perfect desk toys.
>>
File: Hr_giger_species_sil_2.jpg (119KB, 600x722px) Image search: [Google]
Hr_giger_species_sil_2.jpg
119KB, 600x722px
>>6108658
>Sadly, hating on the SHMA alien/Predator figures has become a thing thanks to NECA's cult over here.

I love Figuarts and the like, but Monsterarts' Wolf Predator does suck.

I'd rape and/or kill for a Monsterarts/Figuarts Sill, though.
>>
>>6108688
Its not the best figure, but its still a lot more fun than the NECA stuff by virtue of having great articulation. Its a predator that can actually CROUCH.

Also, why are those people so conscious about figure sizes? I see a lot of people calling it the "manlet Predator". the Wolf Predator is fucking huge for its scale, even by western standards, and bulky, too. Neca figures are just unruly huge.
>>
File: AlienEvil4.jpg (342KB, 1292x749px) Image search: [Google]
AlienEvil4.jpg
342KB, 1292x749px
>>6108695
I like mixing figures together, so scale doesn't matter too much with Me.

I found Wolf's articulation to be not that great. And his jaws fall off too easily in his unmasked head. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got.

Personally, the best alien figures are the old 90s Kenner ones.
>>
>>6105244
Neca Xenos are alright in general, their Dog Alien and AvP Warrior Alien are awesome, best articulation you can get for a Xenomorph figure so far.
>>
>>6108803
Besides the monster arts and revoltech Aliens, of course
>>
>>6108688
>Monsterarts' Wolf Predator does suck

Maybe it's because I paid like $25 for the heavy armed version, but boring paint aside I have zero problems with it and don't understand the beef at all.
>>
>>6108840
I'm pretty sure Dog Alien can pull any pose revoltech and monster arts alien can.
Not saying they are bad or anything, just that Dog Alien is pretty damn nice.
>>
It really comes down to what you want. For warriors neca is your best bet for size and price. When you want some of the other suits like big chap stay away from neca. I have four big chap figures from neca and three ofwhich broke from fragile joints. The other molds are fine. Revoltech is probably the better route for big chsp. For avp monster arts is pretty damn good but neca does everything the other does but better. There's another company that makes aliens roughly the same size and price as the recos and they cover the colonial marines, but I've heard bad things about em.
>>6108594
He's a bit fragile and some of the tail segments are fused together but otherwise a great fig.
>>
>>6106044
lol wow fucking moron.
>>6106103
Wrong. Xenomorph is fairly specific to the Alien franchise. A xenomorph is a strange or foreign form or also a type of mineral. It describes an alien sure but so does calling a balloon red when there are other red things in the universe.
>>
>>6108926
>Wrong. Xenomorph is fairly specific to the Alien franchise.

The word might be specific to the Alien franchise. It's still not what the aliens are actually called. Xenomorph is just a fancy word for alien.
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2014/08/the-throwaway-line-in-aliens-that-spawned-decades-of-confusion/
>>
>>6109270
That was the case when it was first written but it's since been adopted as the canon species name
>>
>>6109307
>canon species name
Nah. Officially, per the blu-ray specials, it's Internecivus raptus. Xenomorph is more of an accepted name because it sounds more exotic than 'alien'.

It's like assuming cotton swabs are called q-tips or that tissues are called kleenex.
>>
>>6109311
Maybe not the canon species name, but they are called xenomorphs in the movie, yet never Internecivus raptus
>>
>>6109316
In Aliens, Gorman says "xenomorph" once, as part of the briefing before they land and see the things. It's part of his character of being a graduated officer and not knowing anything real. Like him having only done a bunch of simulated landings but only one real landing. The rest of the film, the word is never used.

In Alien 3, Ripley calls it a xenomorph in one scene when they were calling the company to ask to kill it. Not because that was the official designation of the alien, but just because it was a word the company might recognize.

Xenomorph is never used in Alien or Resurrection, nor the AVP movies.

Two throwaway lines in two of the six movies using a more exotic word for alien does not make it their official name.
>>
>>6109322
it makes it more specific than 'alien' and more commonly said in movies than 'Internecivus raptus'
>>
>>6109323
>it makes it more specific than 'alien'
That's true.

Doesn't make it the right name. Again, it's like calling all cotton swabs q-tips. Just because it's the common usage, doesn't mean it's correct.
>>
Jesus Christ this autism
>>
File: alien center.jpg (79KB, 625x781px) Image search: [Google]
alien center.jpg
79KB, 625x781px
>>6109334
Hey, if you want to be a filthy pleb, keep using the term incorrectly. Doesn't really matter.
>>
>>6109334
I mean, it's just discussing the correct name. At least people haven't started shitposting because they disagree with one another.
>>
Wish Bandai would do a queen.

As much as they seem to hate to doing fuckhuge characters they're really damn good at it.
>>
>>6109334

The weird part is best xeno threads are just as common as best eva threads and this has never been a thing.
>>
Would you settle for a statue OP? I've recently pre-ordered this version.

I was going to go for the Hot Toys version but the joints on it really bother me so decided against it.

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/alien/mega-alien-xenomorph-statue
>>
>>6106044
I've always thought xenomorph was a stupid name, bit it's also the best way to be specific since alien is such a broad word.

>>6108594
I love this figure. I can get why people would dislike him, but he's one of my favorites. Looks beautiful and fun to fiddle with. My biggest issues are how easily certain pieces like the tail and arm like to pop off, but it stopped being a big issue for me once I got more used to his range of motion. Of course I can also understand why some might like the larger NECAs but I prefer the SHMA size when displayed with 1/12 figures.
>>
>>6108594

Except that's actually a piece of shit.
>>
>>6114346
Except is not you, anon.
>>
>>6108709
>Personally, the best alien figures are the old 90s Kenner ones.

MAH NIGGA!
>>
>>6106044
>>fan-name

Except it's been used in the movies and other related media since 'Aliens', and the official name of the creature since 2014 is 'Xenomorph XX121' according to Fox.
>>
>>6108688
dude that figure thp!
>>
sorta on topic but what's the best NECA Jungle Predator?
>>
>>6115229
The Ultimate Jungle Hunter is coming out this quarter.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.