[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i'm looking at getting a curio to display my figures,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

So i'm looking at getting a curio to display my figures, and i've been recommended the Detolf, of course, from Ikea. The only problem is that the closest Ikea store to me is over 200 miles away and once I try to order it offline, shipping and handling is like, $300. So I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas in terms of displaying figures?

Id like a curio if possible, I just don't want to get blown by S&H.
>>
Theres enough of these troll threads.
see
>6053085

>$300
You're looking at a glass cutter and DIY
/thread
>>
>>6060459
Wasn't trolling, but I appreciate the link to the other thread. Thanks.
>>
Honestly the Detolf boxes fit easily in a sedan. It's not that bad to drive at all.
>>
>>6060471
Is it worth it though? I keep hearing detolfs let in dust and can be cheap.

So do you think it'd be worth the trip? Honest question, since I've never seen one in person.
If it's worth it, I'd just get multiple while I was there.
>>
>>6060488
I just moved and Im about to buy two of them for my displays. They look very nice
>>
>>6060459
>You're looking at a glass cutter and DIY

Don't be fucking retarded, I hate assholes like you.

Not everyone is a fucking shop craftsman. Tempering and cutting glass isn't fucking easy NOR is it cheap enough to warrant learning just to save a few fucking dollars lol.

Ya...lets all cut our own glass and connect it correctly to a professionally cut piece of wood and get it all to look perfect. Fucking easy!

Reply pics with your homemade Detolf or you're a fucking nutjob.
>>
Have you checked with your local carpenter? If you have one? Their selection/price may vary depending on whether they are just a front for money laundering or not.
>>
>>6060510
I see people keep replying with things like "local carpenter" or "local craftsmen"

Are these certain stores that have people hired? Or are you guys talking like, craigslisting a carpenter.

I would have thought getting a custom made curio would have been more expensive that a detolf.
>>
>>6060516
Thats up to you to figure out based on your budget; how to allocate the funds and turn it into a display cabinet.

1) Buy the fucking detolfs.
2) Fuck the detolfs, use your brain to figure out how to get something better than detolfs with the same amount of money.
3) Combination of above

If you fucking live 200 miles away from the nearest Ikea, where do you fucking think people near you get their furniture? Go check those places and get the fuck off 4chan.
>>
>>6060516
Carpenters/glass workers have workshops, no stores. And yes, it'll cost more than a Detolf but it'll also be good unlike a Detolf.
>>
>>6060516
Nah man, not talking about the creepy old man in this creepy workshop up the hill.

More like interior design/renovation/furnishing firms and such. Some of them have stock display cabinet designs that they can install for cheap. Like I said, the selection/price varies a lot firm to firm but it never hurts to ask for a quote.
>>
>>6060488
It's worth it if you have other reasons to drive 200 miles than just to get furniture.
>>
>>6060521
>2) Fuck the detolfs, use your brain to figure out how to get something better than detolfs with the same amount of money.

Kek. You say that like it's easy or even doable for someone not born a talented carpenter.

>>6060523
>>6060522
These will cost no less than 300 and will likely be more secure but a lot smaller than a Detolf, prepare to spend half a grand from a carpenter for the display space you would get from a Detolf.

Btw literally no one here has actually bought a glass display from a carpenter, and so no one knows the actual price. But I'll promise you it's expensive.
>>
>>6060534
>Btw literally no one here has actually bought a glass display from a carpenter

This. People have no idea how expensive tempered glass actually is, this is why detolfs are a retarded good deal. If anything people should just buy the detolfs for the glass, and go from there.
>>
>>6060534
Just save for a retail display tower/cabinet at wholesale price.
>>
>>6060549

Right - was going to add to say that.

Another store other than Ikea should have good displays as well, might have to spend 3-400 but at least you could hopefully look through a selection and find something just the right size at that point.
>>
OP. Have you checked out a furniture liquidation place(if you have one nearby) they can be hit or miss. Sometimes you find something decent, othertimes not.
>>
File: 1478031894602.jpg (172KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
1478031894602.jpg
172KB, 960x716px
I've noticed the people who recommend detolfs ate typically nice when they reply, and the people bashing detolfs come off as angry pricks.

Is there a reason for this. OP asked a simple question, and detolfs are cheap, even after a drive, compared to custom built displays. I don't get why people are angry.
>>
>>6060558
I actually didn't even think of that. I'll keep that in mind
>>
You can't cut real tempered glass.
>>
>>6060562
I think people who buy detolfs accept they are cheap and there are better alternatives but the detolf fulfils what they want perfectly so they are happy.

I can only assume the people who hate are the type who hate everything popular, cant buy a detolf easily or just annoyed people don't think their case is the best. Not entirely sure what would cause such extreme hate over a glass case myself. Unless a detolf destroyed their collection.
>>
>>6060562
Because theyre a bunch of douchebag know-it-all's who just HAVE to tell you about how your way is wrong and theirs is so much better, they usually have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Every thread has em, it's just one of those things that goes along with anonymous posting.
>>
>>6060562
That's funny because Detolfs cucks are always the ones starting shit like you just did.
>>
>>6060545
Does everyone here only shop at Walmart for 99% of the shit found in their home?

Most cities have dozens of stores that sell only glass.
Fucking hell.
It's like /toy/ really is made up of only manchildren who have their parents do everything for them still.
>>
>>6060589
If you actually read the threads, recommending higher quality furniture gets you called retarded or some other insult and criticism about the detolf = hamhand who can't build furniture.
So it's usually the detolf people who start shit, because they take it personal when someone doesn't like the detolf.

It snowballs from there.
>>
There's a knockoff Detolf by Costal Home Furnishings on Amazon for under $150.
>>
>>6061466
>e detolf = hamhand who can't build furniture.
That usually comes from the complaint about how it wobbles, a issue that can be fixed by tightening the top.
>>
>>6061462
>Most cities have dozens of stores that sell only glass.

Yes everyone knows this retard, where the fuck did you think they are getting quotes for the tempered glass?
>>
>>6060447
Where are good places to get a glass display case like pic related in the uk, im in a similar position wanting to display my figures
>>
File: 1481304134826-936340525.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1481304134826-936340525.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>6060488
oh can they, i want it to be dust free for my lego
>>
>>6061491
Except that's bullshit. They don't wobble because of how you assemble them, they wobble because of their design/engineering. Just accept it and shut up for good.
>>
>>6061836
I think YOU should shut up and accept that people are going to call everything you like as shit and everything i like is the best and if you disagree you're an autistic palsy retard.
>>
>>6061836
Mine don't wobble.
>>
>>6063123
Go back to redit kiddo.
>>6063147
Prove it.
>>
>>6061836
They wobble if you don't tighten the top correctly.
The tighter the top is, the straighter the metal rods become. Over tighten it and the rods will curve inwards, under tighten it and they will bulge outwards. Both lead to the wobble.
>>
>>6063429
>>6061836
>>
File: IMG_7103.jpg (140KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7103.jpg
140KB, 720x960px
I got one recently and still need to get it organized. I'll do that dust mod thing sometime.

I'd say it might be worth it if you can't find anything similar closer to you. Maybe make a day out of it and get the IKEA breakfest too!
>>
File: 73148523.png (136KB, 372x445px) Image search: [Google]
73148523.png
136KB, 372x445px
>>6060447
My dad has a couple of those style ones
He ran leds along the supports and it looks really nice. Would recommend

>Your dad has more toys than you do
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.