[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So it seems like japanese imports don't appreciate in value

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

So it seems like japanese imports don't appreciate in value anymore. With western releases becoming more popular, releases are left over with a ton of stock.

Kind of sucks because I would regularly rotate my figures and get new ones. Market has ultimately become stale though.
>>
>>6040131
the Pit figma, that rabbit figma, Megaman X D-arts, Keybots, some pokemon figures...
>>
>>6040131
Because Ryuko Matoi definitely didn't increase in value؟
>>
>>6040131
What is that pic from? Pretty cool
>>
>>6040131
If Japanese figures no longer appreciate in value, how does that affect store stock? Honest question.
>>
>>6040201
You've got it backwards, store stock affects appreciation. If they're making a ton more product, everyone who's gonna want one will get one. Supply and demand stuff, dude
>>
Most Jojo stuff does, especially the variant colors.
>>
anything with huge tits will skyrocket in value
>>
>>6040131
Most companies upped the production rate to meet demand. That's basically what killed the resale market.
>>
>>6040131
>>6040192
i use this pic as one of my pc wallpapers
>>
>>6040131
>So it seems like japanese imports don't appreciate in value anymore.
Toys aren't an investment opportunity unless you're a scalper taking advantage of short-term speculation and stock shortages. What toys are is a fun hobby that retains more value than most the shit in your house. In 5 years most your toys will still retain 50% of their value meanwhile all the tech you bought will probably be worth 10% of it's original value if you're lucky.

Also there are plenty of individual figures that have gained value. Just off the top of my head:
figma Ryuko
figma Archer
figma Saber 2.0 (yes she is getting a re-release which will drive down value but it WILL go back up again)
Various JoJo SAS releases (especially with re-releases costing more than the originals)
Various SHF
Tons of scale statues

Yes there is stuff that doesn't gain a single bit of value and there is other stuff that even loses major value. Especially when improved versions of the character are released like with those 2.0 Riders basically making the old figures worthless. Ask yourself this...as a toy collector would you prefer to go back to the days when things were made in super limited runs, pre-orders sold out in a matter of minutes and prices shot up like nuts in the aftermarket? Or do you prefer being able to buy things at your own leisure?
>>
>>6040349
>Various JoJo SAS releases (especially with re-releases costing more than the originals)
When has this ever happened? The majority of the time people don't even distinguish the two.
>>
>>6040357
It's funny, because often it's the opposite.

A lot of originals look better than the re-releases.
>>
>>6040357
It's happening right now. Current re-releases are $60 when the originals were $40-50 tops. What that means is the re-releases won't devalue the older releases because prices keep going up. In another year they will probably be $70-80 if Medicos doesn't go bankrupt first. So the value of new stock and old stock both go up because there is no influx of cheap re-releases to drive down the market.
>>
>>6040131
Is she pooping?
>>
>>6040368
That's slightly different though, that's the MSRP driving up the market value as opposed to the supply and demand of the secondary market, which is what this thread is about.
>>
>>6040403
It really feels like you're trying to turn this into some sort of gotcha to invalidate my entire argument based on a tiny note in a long list of examples. The aftermarket on SAS in general has gone up regardless of re-releases.

Fact of the matter is value will always depend on supply and demand. At some point a figure will have it's supply dry up and then demand will raise it's value so long as the property is popular or has some kind of niche cult status. The only way it doesn't happen is if:
-The figure has major QC issues or engineering issues
-The figure is overproduced (see: many SHF Riders that were in bargain bins for years)
-The figure is re-released over and over
-A better 2.0 version of the figure is released

Now with that said...even a figure that is re-released multiple times can have short term profit potential if the re-releases continue to sell out quickly and demand stays high. It has happened with numerous figures. When it comes to ultra popular characters chances are it will get a superior 2.0 version at some point which will permanently devalue the original. Niche stuff on the other hand it could be DECADES before another version is released. Look at figma Guyver and when the original Max Factory Guyver came out. Or look at Guts, he had that Art of War figure from a while back and it took a decade to get a figma.

Something like figma Ryuko will probably never get another figure though we may get a re-release at some point since her demand is off the charts and Max Factory seems to be exploring re-releases of old stuff. Once the stock dries up again the price will shoot right back up though. Also it may not get a re-release since the exchange rate is improving again so they might not feel compelled to explore that avenue anymore.
>>
>>6040192
Have you tried Google Image Search
>>
>>6040403
The SAS after market has animetax on just about everything from part 1-4 and it works because people are dumb enough to buy 3000yen figures for 10000yen
>>
>>6040131
There's no point in preordering import shit anymore. Everything I look at always gets marked down on amiami barely a month later
>>
>>6040349
OP is an ADD poorfag who can't afford toys, and doesn't even care about toys if he's just selling them off like that.
So his only real option is limited releases, otherwise he can't afford shit.
>>
>>6041482
except seiya diecast myth cloth ex and macross which are always artifically in short supply
>>
>>6041605
How is it artificially in short supply?

If it's in short supply then it's in short supply, right؟
>>
>>6041813
Because if he didn't get it, THEN ITS BECAUSE THERES LIMITED SUPPLY AND A CONSPIRACY AGAINST HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt, there's a bunch of shops in Japan holding a ton of product, slowly selling out over the course of a year. But most baka gaijins here don't read nihongonese and would never know of the hundreds of anti-gaijin sites selling the toys in the perfect father language.

Also, artificial scarcity is short supply. Almost everything that is produced can technically be artificially scarce, because most of these products can be produced in the millions before the molds break down to the point of looking less quality.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.