[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /toy/, I've never been to your board before and didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

Hey /toy/, I've never been to your board before and didn't really plan on changing that, but I had a question. Because I feel like I totally missed something

What's the deal with these funko pop things?

I mean, I was vaguely aware of their existence before, but I'd always been under the assumption that they were just shitty filler for those loot crate monthly box things because they couldn't move stock. But I went to check out this 'retro game and comic' store in the next town over, and just. 90% of their store was devoted to displaying these figures. And I think there was some event they were hosting because there was a ton of outside tables full of nothing but funko pop things, the entire parking lot was full (had to park elsewhere and walk over) and people were just going nuts over 'em

Are they really that popular, or did I just happen upon some weird coincidence? Because I'll be honest with you /toy/, as someone who isn't too much into the finer points of model/toy collecting, these things look like ass. They're just the same extremely generic mold with different paint jobs/bits of plastic glued to 'em.
>>
>>6006456
It amounts to this. Some properties will most likely never see a release of a good figure, meanwhile, Funko seems to be able to license just about everything, even things that are quite obscure. That's the only positive thing I can really say about these things.
>>
The modern day beanie babies.
>>
File: e55cc26.jpg (290KB, 864x1536px) Image search: [Google]
e55cc26.jpg
290KB, 864x1536px
Whatever you like we got a pop for you.
>>
File: 5830_alienindependenceday.jpg (58KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
5830_alienindependenceday.jpg
58KB, 300x300px
>>6006456
What they said >>6006485
There are quite a few POP figures I'd buy due to their cheapness and the obscurity of the character. However I've only bought one (Alien from Indepdendance Day) because they end up having poor quality control with paint and I don't have enough room for other stuff I actually want. Now with that said, I do buy other Funko products, like Mystery Minis and their plushes on occasion which both have way better quality control than their POP line.

They hit on several things at once.
1) They are a gateway toy for toy collecting.
2) They hit on franchises and characters from the most popular to the most obscure and forgotten. (I still am bewildered how they get some licenses)
3) They encourage toy collecting by releasing variants, exclusives, etc.
4) They share relatively the same stylization, to where a character like Darth Vader will look similar to the style of Deadpool.
With all that on the table, I see why they are popular. I don't understand how they are so popular that every store now has an entire wall or aisle dedicated to POP figures.
>>
>>6006456
They are shit.
dont get them.
dont come here again.
>>
>>6007163
>dont come here again.
What did they do to make you respond like that, anon? They just wanted to understand why there would seem to be a parking lot's worth of people flocking towards those pieces of shit.
>>
>>6006456
I think what I like about them is that it's a consistent format.
>They're cheap
>they have all of the characters I like (And about a trillion more)
>They stack/display well
>Seems to have a market (currently) for re-sale

They're like pokemon. You can run around and look for rare ones, just collect what you like, etc. They're definitely not the coolest looking, but they're also not the only things I display. To each their own.
>>
For years cutesy statues were tiny. But suddenly it became clear that bigger super deformed shits are selling even better! Suddenly for the west at least. And the first one to do it on the west like a fucking marshmallow monster filled the whole niche in one go. Honestly, there was a lot of time for someone with better designer skills to pop up. Well, finally someone who can count money appeared.
So it's not really new beanie babies. It's more of that obscure kitchen utensil people lived completely happy without but now everybody has one.
>>
>>6006511
Well... no actually because what I like is a quality figure with good sculpt.
>>
>>6006511
>Zavier Woods
>>
File: 2016-09-12 21.47.23.jpg (509KB, 530x945px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-12 21.47.23.jpg
509KB, 530x945px
They're honestly terrible figures, and I thought I'd never buy one but lo and behold there's one that will get you

Mine was Soldier 76
>>
I think they hit a sweet spot where they are easy to collect for people who don't collect toys.
>>
>>6006456
The /toy/ elitist (kek) will tell you "modern day beanie babies lol". Be real here, they're inexpensive, some of them are actually pretty cool, and they display pretty nicely. Funko can be lazy pieces of shit and just repaint molds (see Batman) but they do have their moments.

The only legitimate argument /toy/ has against them is the fact that they're statueshit and that they don't belong on here. Instead of buying "muh glorious nippon action figure" you can probably spend about the same amount and by an entire set of something you enjoy that's obscure as shit.
>>
>>6006511
Welp fuck, I guess I'm buying all the RE ones.
>>
I had about 30 of them and was on the fast track to having my collection overrun but I went ahead and sold all but 5 I believe. I didn't make my money back but damn it feels good not to be in the funko trap anymore.
>>
>>6014063
On the plus side, at least you won't be stuck trying to sell them for 99 cents +shipping for the rest of eternity.
>>
They're cheap

They license characters ranging from blockbuster films to anime to classic TV shows (the Munsters, damn it! The Munsters)

You can get them anywhere
>>
File: 081401.jpg (156KB, 543x750px) Image search: [Google]
081401.jpg
156KB, 543x750px
>>6006511
>Jill Valentine

goddammit, they're finally getting my money. The fuck is it so hard to get a decent classic Jill figure.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.