[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Toys aren't meant to be taken out of the package and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 20

File: IMG_3509.png (238KB, 419x419px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3509.png
238KB, 419x419px
>Toys aren't meant to be taken out of the package and played with. They're an investment, and any item taken out of the box dramatically decreases its collector's value!

Was he right /toy/?
>>
>>6001284
Toys aren't an investment. They will never be an investment. Anyone who collects is doing it because they like looking at their collection grow or to play with them but if you have any ideas that your collection is "valuable", then you're gonna be sorely disappointed. You will mostly break even. Even if your piece of plastic goes up from $20 retail upto $60 like in the case of some Marvel Legends, you're making $40 profit. It's not worth it in terms of opportunity cost at all
>>
>>6001284
Yes/No; Although toys do decrease in value when taken out of the plastic cell, it doesn't supply the same enjoyment while it's in the cell, you can't pose it and have fun with it.
>>
It usually don't me me much difference.
>>
>>6001284
are issue #1 comic books still valuable?
>>
>>6001284
It might be an issue with toys that are packed in blisters or ones that are heavily sealed in a way that packaging is noticeably damaged removing the figure. I noticed that it seems like with japanese figures, the difference in price is a lot smaller then one might think removing from box does. Helps that the most they do to seal is a small bit of tape.
>>
>>6001284
The only reasons people want stuff "still in box" is to insure that its not broken or anything is lost when they purchase it. Older toys "go up" in value because they are harder to find as production stops and parts get lost. Buying anything within the last three years of any run is only "going up" in value due to assholes who think its worth more.
>>
>>6001308
>It usually don't me me much difference.
Try it in English next time, Paco.
>>
>>6001284
i have a theory or something. a certain toy only increases in value the more rare it becomes, the more its series is missed/well-received, and UNTIL something better comes out.

and i dont mean just monetary value, but also "want" value. like the Mario Kart toys. we have BETTER toys of the mario characters, which means that overpriced sealed set of figures at my LCS will either stick around longer or some really avid collector will want them
>>
>>6001284

Don't suppose you have a NRFB Bicentennial Crystal?
>>
>>6001284

I can picture someone saying that from their throne made out of unopened funko pops.
>>
>>6001524
>unopened funko pops.

Which is ridiculous, unless bought straight from a store there is NO way to tell if someone opened a funko pop or not if they were actually careful.

>>6001284
Most of my toys are actually still in their blister packs, I feel bad if I open them. Reselling has nothing to do with it.
>>
File: IMG_5606.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5606.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
>>6001444
>>
>>6001438
Don't forget nostalgia, anon! Original Jurassic Park shit got pricier after JW happened. Fuck that if I'm gonna have to pay $30-$40 for just a damn re-issue version of Ornithosuchus LOOSE.
>>
>>6001287
You're talking about action figures.
My Hot Toys and designer toys have skyrocketed in price. Something I bought for 65$ is now 420$.
>>
>>6001611
How long ago was that and how often can you replicate it?
Because $420 won't even cover rent of a good flat.
>>
>>6001611

Limited releases have that effect.
>>
>>6001622
About 7 years ago. I still have like 6 more figures with that amount of price inflation over it. But I didn't buy any of them planning on sell and still don't plan to, also I'm a poorfag and I could only afford a few. But people that bought multiple of each release and have all the releases would be able to make above 10 grand easily from spending about 1 or 2k. Thus consisting it as investment.
>>
>>6001634
>About 7 years ago
That is absolute garbage and again, it is something that can not always be replicated and is never ensured to have a buyer readily there to pay the premium.
Think about it, a 355 net profit in 7 years? hell with the way inflation is going that is closer to 325. And to get that 10k you have to find 24+ buyers 7 years later.
It's a horrible investment
>>
>>6001341
for comics from the 30s? yes.

for modern comics? no.
>>
>>6001611
>Something I bought for 65$ is now 420$.

But is that the price you list, or an actual price people pay for?
>>
>>6001341
newer comics don't matter as much anymore since digital release shit
>>
>>6001571
NRFB!
R
R
F
B
!
>>
>>6001760
That's the price I see it going for on eBay.

>>6001754
It may be a shit main investment, but as a passive one? I just bought those things cause I wanted them, it's a nice bonus that they may turn a profit if I ever need the money.
I agree that if anyone buys toys just thinking on selling them on the future they should be buying gold and silver instead.
>>
>>6001911
>That's the price I see it going for on eBay.

Yeah, that's the thing, you can price whatever you want at whatever price you want, it selling at that price it's a different matter.
>>
>>6001911
Your being an apologist when the question ask in the OP was is it good or wise and the answer is no to both.
>>
>>6001914
You know you can filter our unsold items, right?

Sometimes I think these "toys will never be worth anything!" threads are just poorfags rationalizing their entitlement to get anything anytime anywhere for less than bus fare back to the slum.
>>
>>6001918
I didn't reply to the OP. I merely offered a comparison between action figures being shit because they are released in industrial scale and scale toys and designer toys being limited edition and having the art factor to create their very specific niches.
I know scum that lives solely of buying toys and instantly flipping them on the market for more. Some even list them on eBay before buying them.
>>
>>6001927
That said, toys are as risky as any other investment. You can be just as big a bag holder with gold or stocks.
>>
>>6001929
That sounds like slave wage level labore more so that the guy offers before he has them
>>
>>6001927
I don't really understand what you're saying or how it relates to what I said, all I'm saying is that I've seen toys with high prices by the same seller for months or years, doesn't seem like a good investment to me.
>>
>>6001927
That wasn't the question ask
The question ask was it a good investment to keep them sealed
That anwser is no
Do they increase in value? sure.
But you have to be stupid as fuck to think that it's worth investing the time and money for it.
>>
>>6001927
Wouldn't a poor fag be the one to try and make a living selling kids toys years later? I mean if you are wealthy you wouldn't give two fucks if your toy was worth anything becuase you make enough money that you don't have to justify the lost money spent.
>>
>>6001760
>But is that the price you list, or an actual price people pay for?

1/6 scale, especially Hot Toys movies and video game releases, can go bonkers on the secondary market. It's even managed to drag the pricing scheme of the primary market upwards over the last few years.

Literally just ask anyone who collects 1/6 about prices.
>>
File: 1413059810446.gif (2MB, 295x263px) Image search: [Google]
1413059810446.gif
2MB, 295x263px
Okay, I can't be the only one thinking of this, BUT... vintage and antique toys that are rare and sell for thousands of dollars today weren't thought of as future relics and treasures back then, and nowadays with TV shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers popularizing hoarding habits for useless junk, I suppose my sealed action figures from the last 10 - 20 years won't be worth as much in, say... 20 - 30 more years because others very likedly thought of keeping sealed the very same toys that I have and thus, rarity will be pretty much non-existant.

TL;DR: I think holding on to sealed toys today won't make them much more valuable in the future because now it's "cool" to keep toys unopened.
>>
File: someone's bedroom.jpg (191KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
someone's bedroom.jpg
191KB, 500x378px
>>6004063
How old are you?
Fuckers have been hoarding stupid shit for a long ass time and almost caused the collapse of the comic industry in the 90s.
No show needed to bring any light to this problem.

Probably the only thing those shows have done is people going out and bidding for stupid mystery junk from the storage companies that actually produce the shows.
>>
>>6001284
About NECA? Sure.
>>
>>6004076
I'm 32, and yeah I do realize that hoarders have been around since the 90s, but my point was that holding on to sealed toys wasn't as common then as it is nowadays.
>>
>>6001927
Nah its just a typical /biz/ tactic of giving bad advice on purpose to lessen competition. Kike bullshit
>>
File: beanie babies.jpg (422KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
beanie babies.jpg
422KB, 2000x1333px
>>6004083
>but my point was that holding on to sealed toys wasn't as common then as it is nowadays
Nah dude

You just weren't aware of how common shit like that is until TV showed you that stupid shit.
>>
>>6004281
Ah, right, beanie babies... point taken.
>>
>>6002018
Basic truth but perhaps it's the bias of being high class and a toy collector, I never saw much reason to collect for "value" but that might have more to do with making in a day/week what takes 5+ years for most of these toys.
>>6004063
Correct.
You have to find a sweet spot of rarely produced as well as it has a following. The most expensive Star Wars toys of the 80s are the ones at the tail end that were under produced.
>>6004106
Bad advice is the cartoon charterer in the OP's pic, as an investment it's fruitless because what little you could gain from a buyer won't reflect the time needed to store the items and be ready to sell them when they hit that high value, you might as well do what my brother does and have a store front and just order the hot shit as it's available and sell it then.
>>6004281
In fairness toy hoarders has been a thing for about 30 years at best, back in the 80s and earlier you didn't see a market of college kids and what not willing to wastes high amounts of money to relive childhood plastic, moist of this market was born much like the comic book craze of the 90s.
>>
If you want to make money on toys and tie-in crap, you need to find the stuff nobody wants.

Your best bet in the last several years is to buy up the crappy ghostbusters remake toys. Nobody wants that shit now, so it's all going to be burned. After a while, you are the "proud" owner of one of the rarest toys in the world. That makes money.
>>
>>6004320
No it doesn't. Rarity doesn't mean anything if the item doesn't have a niche.
>>
>>6001284
Its like anything, once purchased and used value drops drastically.

I keep some items still in boxes, mostly for safe storage though, some have been opened, items inspected, put back in, and some I've sold too.

But I think you'll have some sort of mental issue if you think hasbro products (black series, retail transformers, marvel legends etc), mattel goods (apart from hotwheels/ matchbox but only to other collectors), anything funko or practically from regular retail is gonna be worth good money in the long run unless it has a limited numbered run.

Hotwheels used to be easy until they upped the numbers of their treasure hunt/super treasure hunt releases, now you gotta look for errors and hoard them until you're a grand parent, and if you don't have kids no way would anyone logically live long enough to make a decent profit off current day molds.

Can't say shit about Japanese goods but those things seem to retain high as fuck retail value
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (298KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
298KB, 2560x1440px
http://time.com/money/4162059/lego-investment-compare-gold-return/
>In the last 15 years, the average value of a Lego set has gone up, with โ€œpristine conditionโ€ sets appreciating 12%, according to the Telegraph, which added that prices jump when a model is discontinued, and that sets from last year are up around 36%.
>>
>>6004320
Fuck off Sony

>go to london comic con
>20ยฃ per action figure

Topkek
>>
>>6004362
That's going back to what's been already shared here by other anons.
Most people won't buy and keep a sealed Lego set, Even collectors among most collectors they won't do it. There is also the factor that a used set has a chance at lost or replaced pieces as well as a huge factor of the play value removed

You are seeing why however this is a mess of a investment, you have to guess a company won't manufacture something in the future and/or nostalgia runs high and the majority toys/sets out their were either low or there is a demand for sealed over used by a large amount
>>
File: 1462298483888.png (94KB, 225x247px) Image search: [Google]
1462298483888.png
94KB, 225x247px
>>6004362
>Lego Sets Have Been a Better Investment than Gold Since 2000
>Read Next: Gold Isnโ€™t a Good Investment
and we are right back to what we started
>>
File: fhjkfjhkf.png (104KB, 423x219px) Image search: [Google]
fhjkfjhkf.png
104KB, 423x219px
>>6001308
>>
File: 1456769953059 (1).gif (928KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
1456769953059 (1).gif
928KB, 500x263px
He is objectively correct in the fact that toys lose their value when they're taken out of the box. However, I don't collect toys to sell them at a later date, if I wanted to do that then I would just buy stocks. Toys, like any other hobby, is for enjoyment. I do not mind that my toys will be worthless in 10 years because I ENJOY buying and having the personal satisfaction for posing them and collecting and junk now.

Seriously, why is it so hard for people to understand this. Even my friends ask if I'm going to sell my toys when I get older/drop out of collecting.
>>
File: Thug Life.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Thug Life.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>6001284
Bitch, I do what I want.
>>
>>6005031
shitty ""toys"" like that with no articulation should be kept sealed though, it doesn't add anything to real life, like playtime.

At least sealed might look "nice"
>>
>>6005031
all that thing needed was cut joint arms
>>
>>6001341
In the old days, comic books were treated as garbage, which is why they are very rare and thus expensive. Today, people are now aware of the potential collector's value for comic books, which ironically makes them worthless now since everyone will have them bagged and boarded and possibly multiple copies.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (28KB, 400x387px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
28KB, 400x387px
>>6005031
>>
>>6005060
They're staring into my soul. Send help.
>>
>>6005046
"Wrong".
-Donald Trump

They have neck articulation, so at least they ain't statue shit.

They make me smile when I look at them significantly adding to my pathetic life.

Waving them around while I sing the theme song "Dun Dun, Dun Dun Dun Duun Dun" and make "Whoosh" sounds as the wind flows through my neck beard and pony tail qualifies as "playtime"

They look pretty sweet on my shelf, free from their plastic prison.

>>6005055
Yeah, that would have been sweet. At least their heads move though. Fuzzy, Mojo, and Princess don't have any articulation at all...

>>6005060
See, THAT looks bad. I haven't seen ppgz or the new reboot (I heard it's pretty bad), but the new toys look like pure nostalgia. I hope they continue the line. Rowdyruff Boys when? HIM?
>>
>>6004288
wasn't just Beanie Babies, but it was a normie thing.
Other lines are Star Wars toys, where people thought they would raise in value too like the originals. And McFarlane, because it was comic related.
XMen stuff wasn't as hoarded though, at least, AFAIK. Conisdering how many nostalgiafags exist for the TAS series from back then, I'm surprised there isn't a market for it.

>>6004319
>In fairness toy hoarders has been a thing for about 30 years at best, back in the 80s and earlier you didn't see a market of college kids and what not willing to wastes high amounts of money to relive childhood plastic
Nah, it always existed.
It was just harder to do before the internet brought everyone together to make it easier to swap/sell toys. Before, it was mostly local and that sort of market means it was always small and expensive. The internet devalued a lot of older toys, because before it was mostly local and having the internet made everyone aware of how common some toys were.
So sometime in the mid-90s at conventions, loose star wars figures stopped costing 50-80 bucks... and they started selling hoards of the newer Star Wars figures for 2x their price.
>>
>>6001284
I'm the opposite of this. I like buying 'older' toys that have been kept in the box. Just so I can be the first to open in.

semi related note, there is something nostalgic about the smell of new pokemon cards from 1999
>>
File: 1345365506m_SPLASH.jpg (68KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1345365506m_SPLASH.jpg
68KB, 499x374px
>>6001284
He's right, but I honestly would rather have all of my poseable figures out of their cases for display as I see fit

>As long as I got to keep the packaging, that is
>>
>>6004106
No, /biz/ would be shilling crypto coins. You want to talk dubious investment, that's at the top of the list. At least a toy has intrinsic value.
>>
My general rule of thumb is that if it has a clamshell package then tear that shit open. If it comes in a box then I'll keep it stored the package when I'm not using it.

It hasn't let me down yet.
>>
File: IMG_20160505_042711.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160505_042711.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>6005395
>I'm the opposite of this. I like buying 'older' toys that have been kept in the box. Just so I can be the first to open in.

Most old toys look bad, but the classic box they are in looks cool.

Me on the other hand is a little conflict with my toys.
Some I open, but if they look cooler in the box. I keep them in.
>>
>>6001611
Oh boy, you made 300 something dollars for not using something you paid for for a few years.

That's like fucking nothing.
>>
>>6009804
Yeah, cause toy collectors only buy one item ever. Retard.
>>
I only keep the boxes for my Japanese stuff (and even then I don't have a lot). The other boxes are discarded.
>>
>>6009809
His point stands that you are buying something to never use it only to flip it years later for a stupid tiny profit, say that jump to $300 takes 1 year, that's about $3.70 a day earned till that year passes and again that is assuming you find a buyer in that window.
I understand people that will buy toys, then years after they were done with them sell them for more money to buy toys, but in OPs example is basically buying religious symbols to display and worship in your living area till you sell them to by more religious symbols.
>>
File: Owl_89655.jpg (94KB, 740x483px) Image search: [Google]
Owl_89655.jpg
94KB, 740x483px
In the end it's all about fun. You can do outside photo sessions and beautifully rearrange displays with part swaps and dioramas all you want, but please don't bully collectors for their seemingly more primitive fun found in flipping.
>>
>>6004362
>dollar sign on machine
>prints euros
>>
>>6012509
I was just about to post this.
>>
Anything with articulation inremove from packaging unless I think I can flip it in at least 5 years. Have some old GI Joes from the late 80s I haven't opened. Got me at a garage sale for super cheap. Still in near mint.
>>
In my experience it doesn't change the value all that much. You can take it out of the box and fiddle with it and as long as you keep everything in like new condition with all the pieces it really doesn't lose value.
The factory seal on the box is an easily replacable piece of scotch tape
>>
File: 1478229519259.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1478229519259.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>6012178
>seemingly more primitive
>>
>>6001287

Exactly. It takes years for something to jump up in price. Time = money, and the time that needs to pass by is larger than the money you might make.
>>
>>6009862
Dude, I made it very clear that I don't flip toys and had no intention to sell them, and considered that a passive investment. I enjoy them and just so happens that they have valued a lot in time. I wasn't replying to the OP, so I wasn't saying anything about keeping them in boxes, just pointing that some toys do have increased in value substantially.
>>
>>6004319
>but that might have more to do with making in a day/week what takes 5+ years for most of these toys.
Even if you don't make much, the lost space of storing any toy (which usually are pretty sizable) and the time it takes for the product to accrue value you'd just be better doing stocks or some shit
>>
When I first got into toys I ripped them open as soon as I got them, then I fell into a pit of despair where I could not for the life of me pull myself together to open anything I got.

Lasted almost a year and I finally snapped out of it when I opened a box and asked myself why the fuck was I keeping them boxed if they aren't going to skyrocket in value to be worth the effort of worrying about them and double thinking every time I look at them.
>>
File: 4L_pazDMXKc.jpg (22KB, 231x432px) Image search: [Google]
4L_pazDMXKc.jpg
22KB, 231x432px
>>6005395
DANG I needa try this ebun le dd x
>>
>>6022756

Then you didn't make an investment. You have no intent to recoup the cost, so the money is gone. Some toys do increase in a significant value, like hot toys, lego, lots of disney stuff. The point is, why buy it to flip it? If people truly thought this they should all be buying lego and sitting on them. The fact is people buy what they like and justify it with "its worth more now" even though.... like you, they have no intent in selling it.

The big lesson that needs to be hammered into peoples skulls, buy toys to enjoy them, consider that money gone. Invest in something else. Your hobby is not an investment.
>>
>>6001341

Not new ones, no. That's why they have variant covers now.
>>
>>6001341
Not for the last 30 years
Short of stupid rare(and already pricey to buy) variants most issue #1s are stay at cover cost or go lower. The few that raise in price just reflect inflation costs
>>
>>6001284
Nah, I play with them and look at my collection
>>
>>6005331
>XMen stuff wasn't as hoarded though, at least, AFAIK.

It's so easy to find dirt cheap MOC ToyBiz X-Men stuff.
>>
>>6005395
I feel you. Every couple years I open up a new set of early Spawn toys. Feels good. Simply buying a new toy of an older property doesn't tickle my nostalgia receptors like opening the old toy like I'm a kid all over again.
>>
>>6026955
I love how the only comics that raised in value are those no one cared to speculate prices on, like GI Joe.
They used to be 50ยข bin shit and now go for over double of their cover prices
I'm so rich!
>>
>>6001284
>not posting nuPPG
>ITT: nostalgia neets and 90's faggots
>>
File: gif1.gif (1MB, 540x301px) Image search: [Google]
gif1.gif
1MB, 540x301px
>>6027296
>>
>>6005060
omg, shit anime that literally is monster hunter and equestria girls
>>
>>6027299
>what every 90's pedophile keeps posting this b8
>>
>>6001284
of course not, toys do nothing but depreciate in value the moment they roll off the assembly line

sink that money into guns and ammo if you want to 'invest' in physical objects
>>
>>6022799
Space, and the other thing people don't think about; proper storage, and praying it won't self destruct anyway. UV damage, humidity, heat, silverfish, spiders, and mice will absolutely destroy everything if it's just dumped in a spare room or closet. All it takes is one stealthy mouse, and a whole room full of things will be ruined by the time you notice anything is wrong. This is why I don't "invest" in toys, I've seen my own things ruined for resale because a bug made a fucking mess of it so many times. I would have to seal everything in $17 sterilite tubs, or be at constant war with bugs that most people don't notice or care about, because they never worry about cardboard getting eaten, spider shit, or how silverfish leave a greasy blob behind when they die.
>>
File: alice01c-nei.jpg (311KB, 659x1000px) Image search: [Google]
alice01c-nei.jpg
311KB, 659x1000px
>>6026955
Thats not 100% true tho. I see a shit load of these recent adult Disney knockoff comics that have issues priced at $30 to $175 on ebay, and in most comic book stores which do mange to sell for those prices.
>>
>>6001284
>Whoa, he's got the S.H.Figuarts Kamen Rider Fourze Magnet States that nobody wants
>You can't even get these anymore

>That's cuz I bought them all
>>
>>6005395
Couple years ago some guy was selling tons of MISB Energon toys and I grabbed a bunch

There's something so nice about Fatimus and NotGalvatronYetATron
>>
>>6027359
wat
>>
I don't have a single boxed figure. They're just display pieces, so having them in the box looks like shit.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.