[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /toy/. I'm trying to learn polymer clay sculpting with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hey /toy/. I'm trying to learn polymer clay sculpting with the eventual plan to be skilled enough to make vaguely recognizable tabletop miniatures at 1:32 scale. I have a beginner-level understanding of what to do, a decent set of beginner's tools a ton of Sculpey products and pastels/paints/glosses but I feel like I'm missing something.
What are some tricks or homemade tools you learned about that have helped you add detail, remove blemishes or otherwise make the hobby easier? Thank you all for any advice you can give.
I'd like to do a bit more detail than pic related but not realism or anything. I know my limits. It's just the first relevant pic I could find in Google images.
>>
Sculpting and life drawing classes at your local community college, or sometimes local art studios will do workshops if you live in a large enough city. Going to conventions is a good place to network and talk shop with artists. Otherwise, prepare your anus for 2-4 years of daily practice before you produce anything not super cringe worthy. You will either give up when you realize what you're doing is actually going to take a lot of hard work, or you will persevere and become a greatly under appreciated niche artist. This will not be profitable. Only try if you're really really dedicated and passionate about being an artist, othwise you're just wasting time
>>
>>5973980
Thanks. Believe me, I'm more than autistic enough to stick to this sort of thing. I'll keep an eye out for conventions here and in neighboring states.
Does anyone know of any active polymer clay communities? The best I can find is a subreddit and that gets like a post a day. Surely I'm missing something.
>>
A simple loop tool made with a bent, somewhat thick, steel wire glued to a pen body is what I use the most.

Using turpentine or a regular paint solvent with a soft brush geta rids of fingerprints and imperfections and smooths the clay.

I'll try finding useful pages I had saved tomorrow.
>>
>>5974339
Here it is, this is my favorite "tutorial" for the concepts, tools and techniques used.
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/18287-Smellybugs-Maquette-Tutorial-completed!/page30?s=f1c0bac2babbadfaccf010141e4231b3
Scroll down.
>>
>>5975109
Wow, that's really informative. I would've never thought about some of the stuff this guy does. The "make muscle shapes under the skin for realistic limb shapes" part was genius. Thanks!
>>
>>5975109
thanks
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.