[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are they worth it for drawing reference or should I look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: FIGURE-018939_04.jpg (72KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-018939_04.jpg
72KB, 600x800px
Are they worth it for drawing reference or should I look for something better?
>>
wayyy too small for drawing reference.
>>
>>5964983
?

Look closer?

>>5964925
The female proportions seems off to me, but no where as bad as the Bandai one.

They are both pretty poseable. Male's hip joints gets some collision issue at certain poses but not the worst.

I say they are great for poses and forms, but not for detailed musculature sketches as they do change things for the purpose of articulation.
>>
>>5964997
I dont need to "look closer" I fucking own both of them

They are tiny, even for figma standards.

If you are referencing it for drawing, you would need to bring your head in close which is counter-intuitive. Honestly just use photos
>>
>>5964997
>The female proportions seems off to me, but no where as bad as the Bandai one.
You really shouldn't be using figures as reference to fix proportions, anatomy (or by extension range of motion of human body), or any essential skills or knowledge.
>>
>>5965004
I guess it's the matter on how heavily you're using them as reference. I just hold the figma in hand in the pose and angle I want and make a quick sketch. Not the same as looking at a live models sure.
>>
>>5964925
Only if you don't actually want to learn how to draw the human form.
>>
>>5965013
It's not ideal but it's more convenient/cheaper/more practical than a live model. And better than nothing. It can be very helpful for foreshortening and shading.
>>
>>5964925
>>5965329
Just use designdoll, it's free.
>>
Are you people retarded? Plenty of artists use figures for reference. At least for mapping out poses. You just need to know a bit about how to fit a body into the pose you drew.
>>
get the synthetic human by 1000toys, bbts has the 1/12 scale version up
way better articulation than these
>>
>>5965004
hold them closer?
>>
Sideshow Arts Buck. Good size for the price, good for posing.
>>
They're fine OP.
Don't listen to these retards.
>>
>>5965390
>way better articulation than these
How can you be sure?
>>
File: 20160726_225214_Richtone(HDR).jpg (1MB, 3096x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20160726_225214_Richtone(HDR).jpg
1MB, 3096x4128px
>>5964925
For an anatomically sound figure, its pretty nice for its simplicity, but lacks the heavy details that make the human body structurally sound and complex.

For posing however its pretty damn enjoyable to see the range that this particular figma can go. Granted some other figures like the armature nine line have even more range in making dynamic posing.
https://armaturenine.com/

Check out the line, they have a wide selection, only issue is that they can be a bit pricey since its still relatively new.

On the whole though I would still recommend the figmas since they're pretty fun to use and for a drawing reference not really that bad. Plus for the price they go for is a pretty good investment.
>>
>>5966657
>joint tightening glue
>$3 for tiny squeeze tube

Are these jews serious
>>
>>5966663
Yeah wasn't kidding when it came to pricing, there are probably cheaper alternatives to joint tightening glue anyway.
>>
>>5966680
does clear nail polish?
>>
File: Outta My Way VFS.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Outta My Way VFS.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>5964925
I bought them for drawing purposes and they seem to stack up quite nicely. For one thing I'd say they're much better dummies than the SH Figuarts Body-Kun/Chan, especially the female figure; better proportions, joints move in a more realistic manner (single axis of movement for knees and elbows vs anatomically incorrect double-joints on the Bandai figures, for example).

While they have more/better anatomical detailing than the SHF figures it's still not hugely useful other than as a rough guide because obviously the muscles don't deform with movement as they should, but that's what figure drawing textbooks and life drawing classes are for. They're really great for setting up poses, planning lighting scenarios and getting an accurate idea of how limbs foreshorten, especially if you add something to give yourself perspective guides.
>>
>>5966983
How's the ab crunch for these?
>>
>>5966983
Should I try to replace the SHFs with these, or should I hang onto my SHFs and continue to fill in the gaps with anatomy/life drawing knowledge?
>>
>>5964983
I like to set them in a pose and take a picture. I throw the picture up on a screen and use that for my reference.
>>
File: 3.jpg (384KB, 1280x927px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
384KB, 1280x927px
>>5967303
It would be better if you'd try to draw the pose without taking a picture

I mean the whole idea of these figures is to get the feel of forms/3D, if you're taking a picture you're no longer seeing it in 3D and you'd be better off looking at actual reference.
>>
>>5967223
Solid, but it opens up a gap in the back of the figure.

>>5967244
The Figmas are pretty cheap, I'd say get both.

There's no substitute for life drawing and good figure drawing books, though. These figures are just a convenient shorthand/memory jogger.
>>
A lot of solid advice in this thread. How many artists/drawfags do we have on /toy/?
>>
>>5967244
>or should I hang onto my SHFs and continue to fill in the gaps with anatomy/life drawing knowledge?
you should be doing this anyway, no artist dummy is ever gonna give you the full experience of a real live model. The shf should be fine. Also the figma are not even close to realistic human proportions, at least the old ones i saw weren't. More hyperexagerated than anything.
>>5967823
>It would be better if you'd try to draw the pose without taking a picture
This, I also recommend trying to take up sculpting with that 2 part apoxy for your figures. like heads, helmets and things. Gives you a fuller understanding of 3-d shapes.
>>
>>5972877
A few, a lot of us used to sell in the bst, more of us actually went to art schools and actually knew each other. It's a bizarre place.
>>
>>5967823

I'd take a picture of the posed figures myself rather than just drawing them freehand, actually. Not only do you get to pick how to frame the figures into the angle you want, but you also avoid having that needless frustration of looking at a posed figure, then drawing, and then realizing that you've slightly shifted your perspective and thus it's not exact. It 'freezes' the moment for you to draw to your liking.

Also using actual reference kind of goes into the whole deal of using this pose EXACTLY, and might set you off depending on how finicky you are with that. So using your own figures in a posed photo helps you own the reference more, if that makes sense any.
>>
>>5972904
These are just excuses anon.
No one forces you to commit to a pose you're referencing, you can use as many as you want and alter them for your needs. And if you notice you've made a mistake in perspective while drawing then fix it, practice harder. Learn.
>>
>>5972904
It doesn't. You are shit.
>>
>>5965358
I like iClone, personally.
>>
use what you want an use your brain to fill the gaps. If you can't use your brain you aren't that good at drawing anyways.
>>
>>5964925
For muscles, a Phicen Seamless Male in pic related. The bulkier the better.
For poses, anything you want.
For general use, whatever everyone else is recommending.

>>5972904
Taking pictures of figures or anything up close will just distort them, making it much harder for a student to learn proper anatomy. It does, however, will help in making action shots. The only solution to this is to take the picture from far away, and you'll need a decent camera if you're going to be taking pictures of tiny figures without distorting them.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.