[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an American who recently started attending university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

I'm an American who recently started attending university in the UK.

How does anyone collect ANYTHING over here? The prices are all jacked up, and the only viable way to get imports is to have to pay a premium VAT and import tax on top of shipping.

I have no intention of moving my stuff over here, nor do I intend to actively buy things here (I have some preorders that I won't be able to see until I go home for the holidays). I'm just legitimately curious as to what people do here.
>>
>>5942782
Yeah, it stings a bit. I have to pay an extra £20 just to receive my stuff sometimes. Fucking sucks. Luckily i have a lot of disposable income to do this so it's not really an issue. That can always change, obviously, but i'm enjoying it at the moment.

UK really sucks for collectors.
>>
>>5942790
That's brutal. Even things that would seem standard (non-imports, Western toys and such) seem to have such high prices. Could not imagine putting up with it. Like I said, I at least am able to send things to where I live in the US, but it's a shame that it's like this.

Is there any particular reason this happens?
>>
>>5942782
To be fair, America is the odd place since it's pretty much the only one where you can spend your money on needless things like toys even if you're poor.

Long story short: people from the rest of the world don't collect if they're poor.
>>
>>5942790
>>5942809
I found, it is sometimes cheaper just to pop over to france for the day an buy stuff there (or even have it delivered there (although france is pretty shit)

If you are from america, wouldn't it be cheaper for you to have your family ship it over?
>>
>>5942830
It would be cheaper to have my family send it, yeah. But I don't have much interest in packing all my stuff up and having a collection split between two countries. I'm content with what I have going now -- I have the Sentinel Mega Man and the Link Between Worlds Figma waiting for Christmas break, and then a few other things that I'll see when I'm home next summer.
>>
>>5942782
It's actually America that's the odd one with extremely cheap toys.
>>
>>5942830
I don't have the time nor the energy for that.
>>
File: Boxes 001 (Large).jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Boxes 001 (Large).jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
>>5942782
>How does anyone collect ANYTHING over here?

internet
>>
>>5942942
Doesn't get around tax+import fees. Just got charged £18 on a £15 book.
>>
File: Vifam 004.jpg (743KB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Vifam 004.jpg
743KB, 1728x2304px
>>5942950
really no other option. shops over here have very inconsistant stuff.

import fees are hit or miss though, just gotta accept they can happen.
>>
>>5942950
>Just got charged £18 on a £15 book.

What? How the fuck is it legal to charge more for taxes than the item even costs?
>>
>>5943051
Because a bunch of it is handling costs by the royal mail which to be honest, shouldn't be enforced since 99% of the time we don't get a personal choice on who sorts our mail.

>>5942868
This, Americans complain about the prices of toys yet they pay the least out of anyone.
>>
I live in Ireland, so sometimes I can avail of free UK shipping to Northern Ireland and get it delivered to the South for peanuts.
>>
>Americans just realising how spoiled they are with toys

At least you can get those Hallowe'en Hero Mashers over here
>>
That's why I hate when sales posts have "US BUYERS ONLY".

Especially when you've finally found that rare gem and price isn't an issue, but it seems some cunt is just too lazy to have to figure out international shipping. Whereas for the rest of us, we don't have the luxury of buying and selling within our home country.
>>
>eurotrash complaining
Add in a Canadian and this whole tired routine will be complete. Hey, you know what? You have good affordable health care. Shut the fuck up with your babby complaints about toys, that paltry added tax you pay goes towards social services that us Americans are too stupid to vote towards.
>>
>>5942830
>wouldn't it be cheaper for you to have your family ship it over?
Not much difference between paying for shipping and taxes or paying for shipping and shipping really.
>>
File: 1474519603890.png (59KB, 350x290px) Image search: [Google]
1474519603890.png
59KB, 350x290px
>>5943073
>implying Americans are the only people that complain about anything
>>5943173
>foreigners actually get pissy when someone says "US BUYERS ONLY" especially when they want the seller to pay out the ass to ship internationally for them
you can't make this shit up
quality thread
>>
>>5942782
What are you studying, OP? and what brings you all the way there?
>>
File: American threads.jpg (2MB, 3112x2338px) Image search: [Google]
American threads.jpg
2MB, 3112x2338px
Threads like this help explain why some collectors think they have so many toys when all they really have are like 20 or 30 of them.
It makes cheap luxury items like toys really seem like a real luxury to have.
>>
>>5943733
Everyone complains but the Americans have it the easiest. They have the white privilege of toy buying.

No one makes the seller pay out of the ass for anything either. Agree to shit internationally and just add more onto the overall price for non Americans to cover the more expensive shipping.
I've asked American sellers if they would sell it if I agreed to pay more for selling and a lot agree.
>>
>>5943741
Computer science. Not exactly unique, but I've been loving it so far.
>>
>>5944000
>only 2 patties on that burger
The fuck is that, some sorta gay ass gluten free low carb mini San Francisco burger or something?

>>5944021
>They have the white privilege of toy buying
White privilege came about because whites built the society they occupy or forcibly put others in. The roles for the toy world are reversed: Japs have white privilege with non-shit toys, Americans have jew privilege because they rise above all others in negotiating the best deals and getting what they want.
>>
>>5942782
you just moved to a country that is proposing 10 year prison sentences for even the most minor of "piracy".

>America is about to pass TPP

Oh wait- nevermind, you moved from one celebrity-pandering shithole to another one.
>>
File: seiyu toys (1).jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
seiyu toys (1).jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>5944415
>Japs have white privilege with non-shit toys
The vast majority of Japanese toys are shit though.
It's only in the US where collectors can buy mass produced children's toys that can satisfy them qualities they seek from actual collector toys.
>>
>>5944524
Also, the lemon law is only applicable in the US. Other countries have similar laws but none are as robust as the consumer protection in the states. It's only in America where you see shit as ridiculous as >>5942111
>>
>>5942782
Animuk.com

Problem solved.
>>
>>5942950
Lies. Books are exempt from VAT in the UK. Contact Customs for a refund.
>>
>>5942782
I just generally use eBay and Amazon with trusted UK sellers. Whenever I've received something from outside of England I've had customs fees of at least £15+.

Thankfully though, I also work in a comic book store and get tasty discounts on figures, so there's that. I also end up spending loads when I'm on holiday and discover somewhere sweet.
>>
>>5944524
>It's only in the US where collectors can buy mass produced children's toys that can satisfy them qualities they seek from actual collector toys.

You're really cherry picking here subjectanon. Those 3 poa ultraman vinyls are just one specific type of kids toy.
>>
>>5944706
>>5942950
You don't pay import fees on £15 valued items
>>
>>5943675
fuck you, i can save my own money, faggot
>>
>>5942782
>The prices are all jacked up
>import tax on top of shipping
Welcome to EUzone. Please enjoy your stay.
>>
It's a problem. I have a lot of customers in the UK and they are all always worried about import taxes, so I fudge the values on the customs forms to help them out.
>>
>>5943733
>the seller to pay out the ass to ship internationally for them
In which universe the seller pays for shipping?? It's always the buyer who pays for them.
>>
>>5942782
Honestly sometimes by just accepting that you're going to get screwed over by customs. Paid £32 with a stupid handling fee for my things from the Valve store and I'm still salty.
>>
This is why I pretty much only buy from Mandarake nowadays. I get them to undervalue if at all possible- I know it's technically customs fraud but to be honest I don't care. Regardless of whether you think taxation is theft or not, British import tax is daylight fucking robbery.

I buy from cons occasionally too. They're overpriced usually but if I'm to overpay I'd rather give my money to a legitimate trader than to the goons in Her Majesty's Customs.
>>
>>5943733
>especially when they want the seller to pay out the ass to ship internationally for them

Are you a moron? The buyer covers all costs, including the extra dollarydoos for international shipping, paypal and parcel fees. That's why it's annoying: we're all good to go on our end, but the Amerifat seller is too lazy to work out how to ship international.
>>
>>5942782

Most people over here aren't too bothered about having to pay taxes on their items. The problem is our couriers all charge a handling fee just for clearing your item through customs that's normally way more expensive than the tax. It's a minimum £8 or £13 fee depending on the shipping method.

It's borderline illegal as you don't hold any sort of contract with them in order for them to charge you, as it's the retailer that hires them to deliver your package, but the government lets them get away with it anyway. There are laws against them holding your packages against a debt, but they just ignore that because they're fucking scum

There are a few ways around it though, if you have someone on the other end declare your item a gift and the value is less than £50, or they mark the total value with postage as less than £15 you'll get no charges. If you order via fedex, they make you transfer them the money, so you can pay only the VAT and send them an e-mail refusing to pay the handling fee as it's an unsolicited charge, they've just wiped it off every time I've done it.
>>
File: Picture-0551.jpg (166KB, 979x734px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-0551.jpg
166KB, 979x734px
>>5944799
>cherry picking
>entire aisle is full of shitty toys with less articulation than a McStatue
Sorry dude, but your dreams of what Japan is really like isn't like you think
Going to a typical TRU there is pretty much like seeing all the same shit they sell here, but with a lot more cheapo role playing toys and baby teething toys with 3 whole PoA.
Oh, and model kits.

So it's basically like going back to 1988 - 1993, with barely articulated toys and when model kits were still easy to find.

The stuff that /toy/ likes and talks about is like 5% of their toy industry.
And the majority of toys are likely their candy toys and gashapon that are mostly figurines and other mcdonalds quality junk. The rare GOOD candy toys are as rare as rare should be.
>>
>>5946490

I don't have a problem with paying the tax, it's the handling fee that annoys me.

If I buy something for £20, I should pay £4 in tax, but no I have to pay upwards of £17.50. That's bullshit and isn't worth it.
>>
>>5946560
I'd be less bothered by the handling fee if I actually got a choice of who handles and delivers my parcels. But since I have 0 choice unless I specifically order with Fed Ex or UPS (which there isn't always the choice) I have to give Royal Mail money for nothing.

With way it's going, I'd happily pay more on Amazon Prime to get Amazons delivery service instead.
>>
>>5946552
Those 5% are 100% of the toys made for collectors though.
>>
>>5946552
that is like commenting on a country's quality of sport bicycles saying that they sell more tricycles than bicycles.

you don't go in that kind of places if you want be a toy collector in japan.

there are toys for kids and ones for collectors.

l know it's hard to tell when amerifags havr "collections" of "toys" that are 300 pieces of ten dollars hasbroshit, but still..
>>
File: HALO-Reach-Falcon-01_1297664556.jpg (196KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
HALO-Reach-Falcon-01_1297664556.jpg
196KB, 1500x1125px
>>5946634
>>5946591
Here's the thing, you guys act like Hasbro's children toys are the only ones being sold, yet ignore the toys that are 100% made for adult collectors in mind by Mezco, DCC, NECA, etc.

And yes, Amerifats are very spoiled because even the children's toys are of high enough quality that adult collectors like them.

I'm not sure where Transformers stand, as I'm pretty ignorant about them, but i know that some guys like to say Takara is made for adult collectors, yet they have that ugly metallic paint like something Hasbro made for the 90s Beast Wars line.
>>
>>5946655
>children's toys are of high enough quality that adult collectors like them.
Or American collectors just settle for low quality shit because better than collecting chink shite.
>>
I've lived around Europe and the US and have friends all over. What you do is have every thing shipped to a shipping service, they hold your mail and send everything over every three months or so. You have it shipped as personal goods as if your moving and you don't have to pay tax. It works to Austrelia, France and Germany I've never tried GB.
>>
>>5946655
of course I know there are high quality (and overpriced) toys from america too, the thing is that in america you have shit tier, cheap kids toys (no, hasbro crap doesnt have good quality), while in japan they have toys for children, toys for adult collectors (lines like figma, revoltech, figuarts etc) that have a nice balance between quality and price, and overpriced shit.

some people here suggest that japanese toys are shit "because kids toys are what you find in your general store", which is a completely wrong vision of what toys are in japan, and especially, what are japanese toys collectors.

having the low budget lines being slighty better than the japanese ones (while still being targeted to kids, so: shitty looking durable plastic, bad paint, crap articulation) doesnt make american toys better than japanese ones, it just means american toys collectors either settle with crap toys or collect overpriced stuff.
>>
>>5942782
>I'm an American
>who recently started attending university
>in the UK.
My advice? Don't bother collecting anything.
Collect pussy. Since you're American and everyone hates Americans over here you better start early rather than waste your time on shitty toys.
>>
File: 14159683260_dac5d7bdff_m.jpg (20KB, 240x222px) Image search: [Google]
14159683260_dac5d7bdff_m.jpg
20KB, 240x222px
>>5946552
>>entire aisle is full of shitty toys with less articulation than a McStatue
Subjectanon even your pic was only half an aisle. case and point 3 POA vinyls are just one type of kids toy.
I dunno if I'd call them shitty, some people just don't care for robust articulation, such as yourself ;)
They just aren't for collectors, yet they manage to have better paint jobs than ML figures.

>Oh, and model kits.
I like how you just throw this in, so you can claim to not be a complete disingenuous fuck.
Oh yeah model kits? super affordable? the hottest shit with the kids? the thing that usually takes up the most real estate in a japanese toy store?

Subjectanon, we can have discussions critical of the Japanese toy industry, but there's no need to lie and put out false info.

>Takara is made for adult collectors
It's really not, aside from the Masterpiece line.
>>
>Canada fag
>buying something in the US
>free shipping within the US
> $30 to ship to Canada
>get $20 border fee as well
>>
>>5944524
I love those vinyl monsters though.
I wish I could walk into a store and see an aisle like that.
>>
>>5946796
>british slag pussy
The fuck is your problem? They're literally gutter trash. He's one train ride away from French women that would welcome anti-Islam Americans, why would he settle for the undisputed ugliest women in Europe?
>>
File: stormtrooperscompared.jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
stormtrooperscompared.jpg
12KB, 300x168px
>>5946751
> the thing is that in america you have shit tier, cheap kids toys (no, hasbro crap doesnt have good quality), while in japan they have toys for children, toys for adult collectors
Huh?
Again, you're forgetting that America has direct market toys and then pretend only Japan does.
>it just means american toys collectors either settle with crap toys.
This is just trolling, especially when Hasbro has produced better toys like pic related. It only shows how little differences there are between east/west collector toys and kid toys in the US.
And you really have no room to talk about settling, considering how poor paint jobs and sculpts can be for eastern collector toys.

>>5946803
OH hey someone from the 14% of all Americans or do you only play stupid to troll?
>>
>>5947944
Look at this dumb fucking cunt, look at him and laugh.
This fucking retard and his retard ideas.
Literally genetically inferior.

His name is subjectanon
>>
>>5947819
>the undisputed ugliest women in Europe?

but he's in the UK, not Germany.

>master race women have horse faces
>>
>>5947978
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/6542263/British-people-among-worlds-ugliest-according-to-BeautifulPeople.com.html
Nothing beats British ugliness, so OP is better off hunting toys rather than slag pussy. Though Germany is indeed runner up in ugliness, apparently. Us Americans basically single handedly wiped out all of the best males of an entire generation in Germany, so go figure. Then the dirty pig faced Russians moved in America's shadow and raped every German woman they could find as they took the battles we were too awesome to fight. If it weren't for The Greatest Generation basically being indestructible there'd probably be a lot more aryan superhumans and they'd be better looking as a whole.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.