[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not trying to seem insulting, but why do you play with/collect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

Not trying to seem insulting, but why do you play with/collect toys? I don't really see the reason if you work towards becoming an artist. I guess it does feel kinda nice to make action figures fuck and can make roleplaying easier, but is there other stuff I'm missing? Because enough literature/art skills seem to make toys pointless to me.
>>
>>5826423
Regardless of what skills I choose to try and develop or posses I can and will choose to purchase products produced by others, because they please me.
>>
File: cuz it looks cool.jpg (99KB, 640x1442px) Image search: [Google]
cuz it looks cool.jpg
99KB, 640x1442px
>>5826423
pic related, from desktop friends to your fictional childhood hero watching over you as you sleep reminding you you paid $300 for it to just sit there.

We're human, we buy shit we don't need
>>
>>5826423
Because I enjoy having something physical from certain shows i like, whether its to recreate scenes or just because I appreciate the character.
>>
>>5826423
I don't understand what being an artist has to do with this.
>>
>>5826490
photography, either taking pictures of toys and models, or using them as references
>>
>>5826423
I enjoy physical stimulation and fiddling with things
>>
>>5826423
As an aspiring animator, I like having the form of cartoon characters to examine in 3D and I use a few figures a lot as posing reference. Of course that only really explains why I'd have a few figures for the sake of reference rather than a whole collection.

I think it's different for everyone. Some people like to play with them, some people like them as "valuable" collectibles. Personally, I really like setting up display scenes. I think it's fun to set up little action or comedy dioramas for display using my figures. I also like doing silly little photoshoots. And I just genuinely enjoy having 3D representations of characters I love on display on my shelf. So yeah, while I definitely find them useful for artistic purposes, my main reasons for enjoying them really don't have anything to do with art.
>>
>>5826423
I don't even fucking know anymore, to be honest. I have plenty, and I get bored with them easily, but I still continue, because I just need to complete that team, or that group, or that certain series. "Then I'll be done, I can stop after that." Then an event comes along, characters I never thought I'd get come out, I get them, and then I'm not satisfied. It's an endless cycle. I hate my life, I want something meaningful to happen.
>>
File: fcf.png (320KB, 469x463px) Image search: [Google]
fcf.png
320KB, 469x463px
>>5826423
>enough literature/art skills seem to make toys pointless to me.
Here's your (you)
>>
>>5826494
Alright, that's art that uses toys, which is great. But OP was making some kind of implication that being an artist means you shouldn't like toys.
>>
File: 20160730_025913.jpg (242KB, 1035x777px) Image search: [Google]
20160730_025913.jpg
242KB, 1035x777px
because toys werent as playable when i was a kid. sure, there was a strong market for them being very playable back then. but all they did was hold one pose, and most of the action was either in their built-in gimmicks or accessories
>>
>>5826423
I make stop motion. It started as a collecting hobby, but now I am much more versed in video editing and animation in general. So I turned buying such things into a craft.
>>
>>5826423

Because having expensive toy in my glass cabinet gives me the feeling of satisfaction. And they are cool to look at. I only buy statue shit cause I don't play with it.
>>
File: 01.jpg (176KB, 1196x736px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
176KB, 1196x736px
>>5826423
To me they're the nerd's equivalent of fine china or antiques. I love setting them up in my glass cabinet and admiring them, because they've been put together with a lot of care and skill, and some were pretty expensive.

What I collect is mostly quality Pokémon figurines. But I don't play with them. Pic related, I would've killed for a Charizard like that as a kid; but I would've broken it in few hours, because they're not designed for little kids.

Also, I actually do work as a artist in a video game studio. I have a strong command of the human figure, but I've never posed figures for reference. I studied from anatomy books and try to rely on that. And actually, Pokémon had a big influence on my interest in art and games as a kid (I remember trying to draw all 150). So having them around is a nice reminder.
>>
>>5826423
Why does anybody do anything?
Why does /k/ like putting holes in things and preparing for the end of the world?
Why does /sp/ like watching grown men play children's games.
Why does /b/ like cock?
>>
>>5826423
>I guess it does feel kinda nice to make action figures fuck
Is this what people actually think we do?

Also ask >>>/v/ why they play video games.
>>
>>5826423
It's a hobby, we do it because we like it. Same as every other hobby.
>>
>>5826423
>I guess it does feel kinda nice to make action figures fuck and can make roleplaying easier
OP is a 12 year old idiot, confirmed.
>>
>>5826423
There is no pepe there.
>>
>>5826463
This
There is a feeling of emptiness after finishing a great work of fiction that can only be filled by merchandise.
>>
>>5826423
I collect, build and play with toys and LEGO because it entertains me, relieve me of stress from work and gives me pleasure you idiot.
Also it rest my eyes to be away from screens for some times
>>
>>5826936
Haha this exactly. I was raised in the 80's so merch & tv/comics/anything go hand in hand.

As to OPs question... I collect toys because I like them. Same reason people memorize sports stats, or collect duds, or skateboard; cause they like it.
>>
How has this troll not been deleted yet? Why the fuck are you idiots responding and not just reporting this shit?
>>
>>5826423
I myself am primarly into LEGO, and would say there are mostly two kinds of people interested in that specific toy. There are the collectors who just get a feeling of satisfaction from collecting the toys and there are the moccers who actually build their own models out of LEGO. You seem to imply a connection between toys and not being able to create art (which you should probably explain since no one here seems to really understand it). I would argue that what these moccers do can actually be described as art. There is even a guy, Nathan Sawaya, who has an art exhibit in New York which consists solely of LEGO models.
>>
>>5827484
you'll be deleted someday. just you wait.
>>
File: delicious.jpg (99KB, 1128x754px) Image search: [Google]
delicious.jpg
99KB, 1128x754px
>>5827484
he doesn't understand us anon, he doesn't understand what we really do with our toys, he doesn't understand the sheer joy we have over normie taste like drinking clubbing and sports.

Let him be, he shall learn the error of his ways via education from the very owners of the best hobby in the world rather than being silenced and lead to believe what he thinks we do, although he might not be wrong...
>>
>>5826423
go back to /ic/ and pratice your loomis animu titty grills. Then, ask yourself why you feel unhappy with your art.
>>
I always explain it to people as like having a poster, but three-dimensional, that I can reach into and alter if I get bored of it.

I'm a professional writer and cartoonist, and I can kind of see OP's thought process; the desire to play and the desire to tell stories are like two sides of the same coin, and I think they're both present in everybody. But as people have pointed out, neither precludes the other. That's like asking why you'd bother watching a gangster movie when there are westerns.
>>
Toys are a more permanent representation of things we like. Just like posters. We can't watch Star Wars 24/7, but we can have a Darth Vader on the shelf that serves as a reminder of the movie and the scenes and brings back some of the feeling you had while watching the movie.

Posing is fun too. I can spend hours fiddling around with my displays.

And as an artist, they don't really get in the way of doing art. Sure, they may not help the process, but most things don't. Everyone has hobbies, and most of those hobbies don't help anything. A business man might play basketball on the weekends, but that doesn't help him become a better business man. It's just fucking fun. Same exact thing with toys.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.