[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this shit allowed? More expensive than even Amazon shipping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: ebay_global_shipping.jpg (27KB, 485x272px) Image search: [Google]
ebay_global_shipping.jpg
27KB, 485x272px
Why is this shit allowed? More expensive than even Amazon shipping and takes longer to arrive than fucking surface mail. To add insult to injury, they open your shit up and don't repackage it properly.

Pitney Bowes and his fucking global shipping program is literally the reason atomic bombs were invented, and it's about time someone used one on the cunt.

Shipping horror stories or just eBay horror stories in general thread
>>
I fucking hate this system. What's worse is in my experience it either fails to calculate properly when you're browsing the item, or just fails to factor it in at all. I've had a dozen times when the "estimated" amount was like, 5 bucks. I buy it, and suddenly I'm being charged an extra 20 bucks on top of that.. for an item that cost 30. Daylight robbery.
>>
>>5645648
>>5645661
As a seller it's a godsend.
>>
>>5645811
It really is. I use it for everything I sell and it generally goes well. I had one package get lost and the buyer got mad at me but since my leg was only to their repackaging location, there wasn't anything they could do to me.

It was nice since that's my biggest fear when I ship internationally.
>>
>>5645826
>>5645811
But why should the buyer have to pay more money than ever for the worst shipping service possible?
>>
>>5645811
Beg to differ, as a sell I've gotten so many no pay buyers because for some fucking reason it tells them free shipping (I've seen it myself) but then wants to charge them $50 when they end up buying the item.
>>
File: TomCannotEven.png (152KB, 900x833px) Image search: [Google]
TomCannotEven.png
152KB, 900x833px
>>5645648
>Shipping horror stories
>buy expensive 3rd party Transformers figure
>fucking 2 weeks pass and it doesn't arrive, from just a few small states away from me
>shipped from reliable as fuck business I've dealt with many times, so I know it's not their doing
>call up post office custserv to see where the fuck my shit is
>fuckers have literally just left my box sitting in some shithole distrocenter the entire time, didn't fucking move it for over 7 fucking days, I could've fucking drove there and back in about 6 fucking hours if I'd wanted
>finally gets here days after
>missing pieces from the brand new sealed box atop it all, obviously someone at the factory they made these forgot to put in the missing parts

Thankfully the business sent me the missing parts free of charge, which I got a few days later, but fuck the USPS. Fucking cunts. This wasn't during a busy season either, so there was no shit excuse like "lol holidays everyones sending shit!".
>>
>>5645648
>More expensive than even Amazon shipping
So more than free? Or are you a non-prime pleb?
>>
>>5645811 #
>>5645826 #
This. I didn't want to switch to it because I know it costs more for the buyer, but after being screwed over by a couple of foreign buyers I had to. As a seller, it takes a lot of stress off. I no longer have to worry about losing the item and the money

>>5645858 #
Because there are shitty people out there who scam. There's also shitty postal services that lose/steal. I know the prices suck, but buyers like myself are forced to use these systems just to prove we did our part.
>>
>>5645889
Yeah, this is exactly what I was talking about. Fixing the system so people actually know how much they are paying would already make a vast amount of difference.

I actively avoid sellers using the program now in fear of being stung buy a complete unreasonable extra fee that could even end up being more than the actual cost of the item.

The service offers piece of mind for the seller but chances are they are also losing a lot of potential buyers because of it.
>>
>>5645967

A lot of sellers charge retarded shipping costs anyway.

>guy selling something for $40 with free shipping
>right next to 5 guys selling the same thing for 39.99 and $15 shipping for a tiny-ass item that would never cost $15 to ship
>>
>>5645938
I wouldn't mind paying a bunch for good shipping, but the Pitney Bowes service is one of the shittest out there. The package does a road-trip of the United States, stopping in several places for a few days each before finally reaching Kentucky, where it sits for another few days before being given customs forms etc., before waiting another few days to leave on the plane, where the tracking stops for like a week or two with no sign of anything happening.

I might be an entitled little shit who can't into patience, but if I'm paying a premium rate I expect a premium service, which Pitney Bowes doesn't in any way deliver.

Since I'm still waiting for the bloody thing I don't know if they've fucked up the packaging or not, but apparently it's not an uncommon occurance for them to open something for the hell of it and repack it to an abysmal standard.
>>
>>5645648
I got a simple story, I'm a buyer and a seller and never used it to sell things yet and I have no intention to.

But as a buyer things went well, it cost more but I've chosen items that were cheaper than they should of been, but ONE case made me realize the issues with the GSP, the refund process.

I ended up buying an empty box of a masterpiece transformer, granted it was mentioned in the description but not item title and bought it within its final 2 hour bidding process, thankfully the seller was nice and told me "um did you know you've won an empty box?" and I thought that fixed everything, he refunded my $20aud for the box...

But not the $40aud for the shipping as that counted as a separate transaction (its $120+ elsewhere which is why I agreed to it), he tried everything he could, no go, emailed ebay (both of us) and after ringing them they basically said "its the other guy's fault!" to both of us, I knew the guy was legit, he knew I was too, but ebay kept basically saying "WE'LL LOCK THAT BASTARDS ACCOUNT" so I went to paypal...

One fucking email was all it took to get that postage refunded, yet it took 5 days of shit flinging from ebay to realize they suck ass.

I need to slow my shit down, I suppose it was my fault but that shouldn't of been such a bitch
>>
I like it.
It avoids the outrageous 'admin fee' DHL UPS charge to send you a tax invoice in the mail.
>>
Stopped buying things from eBay when I wanted to buy tmnt figures for 15$ and the shipping costs were 20$.
I'm not a huge figure collector and bought most of the"nostalgia" items before the global shipping program, but seeing that most items on eBay have a higher shipping price than the item itself is a major turn off for me.
Also I lost interest after no seller wanted to give me feedback although I paid immediately and gave feedback the day I received the bought items.
>>
>>5645905
Amazon is a poor example. I don't sell there anymore because shipping is always $4.49. Doesn't matter if you're shipping a feather next door or a cannonball to Mars. They don't care because there's always fresh meat entering the system.
>>
Asiafag here, I completely avoid sellers who use the program. The shipping is retardedly astronomical ($40 to ship a pair of $2 monster high boots) to the point it's cheaper for me to use a proxy address and pay volumetric shipping. Literally wtf.

I also see a few sellers from the uk and oz who offer it with mad shipping prices. No idea how that works.
>>
>>5645811
>>5645826
Except you're missing out on twice or thrice more buyers.
>>
I don't use it as a seller, because I know a lot of people complain about how over priced it is.

I also don't offer international shipping though, because it is just too much of a headache, and I've had problems with shipping internationally before anyway. And that was with only a handful of auctions that I offered international shipping on.
>>
File: Woodland.jpg (45KB, 612x519px) Image search: [Google]
Woodland.jpg
45KB, 612x519px
I bought one of these babys off Emay once. NVG mount and everything, only $200. I like that thing.
>>
>>5646175
I know I don't care. I'd rather do business with one person and be safe than five people that all run a risk of scamming me.

You're forgetting about feedback along with the money. If the item is lost, I lose the money AND feedback, which could result in even more lost sales than the initial lost sales from shipping cost.
>>
If the seller is a personal seller, I just ask them if they're willing to sell outside of eBay if they ever pull this shit. Otherwise, I go elsewhere.

Global Shipping Program is fucking retarded, I wish more sellers knew.
>>
>>5646385
We know it's retarded but the alternatives are just as bad or worse.
>>
>>5645811
Lazy sellers are cancer and I refuse to buy anything from someone using GSP.
>>
>>5645826
Oh fucking please.

How many international buyers have you had since you started using GSP? Shit scares us off like the plague.
>>
>>5648656
Know what's scarier, seeing you've sold a high priced item to someone who lives in a third world country and they only have ten feedback. After shipping the item with tracking, you spend the next three months worrying every time you pull up your account that you'll see an open case because the item was "lost".

If you really want to change how people feel about sending you stuff, then fix your shitty postal services. This would go a long way as far as sellers trusting the item will actually arrive. It'd also help with scammers because there'd be actual proof of delivery, not just a package dropping off the face of the earth once it leaves the US because people are too lazy to scan a barcode.
>>
>>5648815
So what is the problem as long as you are shipping an insured and tracked package?

I live in Canada and packages like those are held at the post office if we don't accept it at the door.
>>
>>5648651
That's not a lazy thing, it's not much less work than regularly shipping internationally, it's just a liability measure.

Every time I've had a buyer from outside canada it was pretty much a 30% shot they'd try to rip me off, so much so that I eventually scaled back all international shipping to simply canada, UK, France, and Germany. Anywhere else and it wasn't worth the risk.

I don't think the GSP charges fair prices and that the program needs to get its shit together, but this is all a result of the high frequency of scammers abusing the shit out of ebay's system.
>>
>>5649053

Speaking as a Canadian buyer it's drastically cut down on the amount of stuff I buy from America. If a seller has GSP on it's pretty much guaranteed to kill any value whatsoever. $30 item? Shipping is also $30!

I honestly don't understand what additional "security" you people feel GSP provides over using standard tracking and insurance. It has literally been verified that GSP commonly opens and re-packages the stuff you send out, so the odds of damages during transit are actually higher.

See this video as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijmdVlQ36-w

TLDR: guy buys something from a seller, GSP opens and repackages the item very shodily and it gets fucking busted up by the time it gets to the buyer.
>>
>>5649211
>I honestly don't understand what additional "security" you people feel GSP provides over using standard tracking and insurance.

Then you aren't an experienced seller.

The biggest risk with international is people claiming that they never got their items, even if they did, and with the shoddy tracking once an item leaves the US, you don't have any real method of proving them wrong. You wind up out the item, the price of the item, plus the cost of shipping.

VS GSP, where you can absolutely prove the item got to the shipment center, and liability for any claims after that proceed to fall on someone besides you.

This sort of scamming is so common that before the GSP I could expect that for every $100 worth of stuff I sent out of the US that wasn't going to Canada or the UK that at least $30 to $40 of that would be lost due to fraud, which just incentivized me to NOT offer international as an option under any circumstance.

Try to make an effort to see why this was a problem for people.
>>
So don't ship to the countries with shoddy postal service?

All you are doing with GSP is insuring that nobody outside of domestic buyers will even look at your listing, you might as well not even bother selling internationally.

Why fuck over the buyers from Canada and the UK?

And again, if GSP fucks your shipment over with damages, what makes you think a buyer won't come back to you?
>>
>>5649250
1. People can ship internationally without using the gsp. I do it to countries that aren't ass.

2. The number of sellers who NEED international customers is close to zero. If the price sucks all things included, buy elsewhere. No one is forcing you to buy from eBay and the people using gsp.

3. The post office can damage my shit, too. Welcome to the risks of business. If I didn't want to take them I wouldn't be selling physical goods in the first place. Will it happen? Sure. Will it happen frequently? Nope. I'd probably lose far less money from gsp damage than regular international buyers scamming me.
>>
>>5649256
Number of sellers in the US that rely on international is close to zero, I meant. Asian exporters and bootleggers are a whole other ballgame.
>>
>>5649256

1. fair enough, but I thought the program was blanket all or nothing for all international sales.

2. fair enough

3. At least the post office doesn't take your stuff out of the box, so if it's well packed then it should survive.
>>
>>5649263
Nope, it's not quite a blanket option. Sellers can add a lot of shipping options to their items.

If I pack it right the gsp won't damage it either.
>>
>>5649263
Also I want to add again that I do agree that the program sucks. It charges too much and, like most attempts ebay makes to fix anything, just creates new problems.

This is just why it exists.
>>
>>5645648
>Global Shipping Program

Total deal breaker. As an foreign buyer, I've never used, nor ever plan to.

I just skip anyone who uses it, because it's the most absurd shipping method I've ever heard of.
>>
>sell $42 worth of stuff in about 10 mins
>get an eBay invoice for $41
What the fuck is this shit
>>
>>5649749
ebay fags are jacking up seller fees in 2 days
>>
>>5649765
Fuck ebay man. There should be a selling board on here.
>>
>>5649765
We already lose 10% to them and like 4% to paypal, that's so unreasonable to go higher.
>>
File: 1355092704371.jpg (52KB, 393x295px) Image search: [Google]
1355092704371.jpg
52KB, 393x295px
>>5645904
>>
>>5645967
>piece of mind
Moron.
>>
>>5646354
Use tracked/signed for/insured shipping, genius.
>>
>>5650588
>look mom, I'm trolling 4chan
>>
>>5653029
People can still get fucked over that way because ebay's arbitration is retarded. International shipping basically has ebay itself taking liability for the package.
>>
File: 215955121.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
215955121.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>5653037
>>
>>5653054
Only if you're an idiot.
>>
>>5650588
You act as if there's anything wrong with being mad when the situation calls for it.
>>
>>5653185
>look mom, I'm trolling 4chan

>>5654885
troll logic at work- "get mad, you fail".
>>
>>5645648
I usually have really good experiences with sellers, and even had a great one with a guy in China. Right now though I'm dealing with a frustrating one.

Bought the item Tuesday, hasn't even shipped it. Tracking number says only the label was made, seller said it will ship this morning (but it didn't according to tracking). Unless USPS is being extremely incompetent, I have a feeling I'm being scammed. I looked up their feedback and people from the past month are complaining they never shipped got their item.

I got pretty pissed, so I bought the same item from another seller later in the week in case the first seller tries to scam me. At least then I can file a dispute with eBay and get my money back. If they do end up being legit, it was only ~$15 down the drain. I'll bet you the second seller gets me the item before the first one does.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.