[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys ever worry that you are becoming less creative with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: storiescreativitysapped.png (39KB, 841x550px) Image search: [Google]
storiescreativitysapped.png
39KB, 841x550px
Do you guys ever worry that you are becoming less creative with your toys as you get older and that they are becoming less worthwhile because you can't play with them as effectively?

Every year on my birthday I ask for a cheap spiderman action figure as a 'joke' gift. I also ask for 1 random household item to be packaged along with the spiderman. I then try to play with them and create a story based on the playing that I do with the two objects.

Picture 1 is the story I created 5 years ago
Picture 2 is the story from this year.

Apologies for the fonts being ugly, I just typed these up for the thread, I handwrite the stories and my writing is a mess.

I am concerned for myself, because this years story was pathetic, uncreative and stupid whereas 5 years ago I actually made quite a fun and creative story.

How do you guys stay creative when you play with your toys? You must have adult lives and struggle with it, right?
>>
This is tucking retarded.
>>
OP, these are both the best things I have ever read.
>>
File: 1363901095342.png (282KB, 500x253px) Image search: [Google]
1363901095342.png
282KB, 500x253px
>being forced to write as a scheduled event
>with set pieces picked out by somebody else

Muses don't play like that. The best stories come out of small nothing-type thoughts and feelings that just occur in the brain, and are developed and shaped further by the conciousness.

Writing as an enforced habit, to fulfil a quota, is how you get the majority of Mills & Boon romance novels.

Decide to play when the urge hits you and use spontaneity, maybe that'll break you out of your self-imposed Spiderman funk. Have fun, not obligations.
>>
I don't think most toy collectors care about this at all really. Most come to terms with the fact that they don't really play or imagine using toys much and that they just look cool on a shelf in X pose.

Personally I still imagine scenarios with my toys and sometimes write them down. Then maybe rarely find some accessories to recreate a scene/diorama I thought of.

Also both of these stories you wrote OP very much remind me of some of the ridiculous scenarios ones finds in 60's and 70's comics. Things like batman being turned a disc, etc.

>>5270481
Also this.
>>
>>5270481
As an author, being forced to write by schedule is actually fantastic advice. You've got to learn to be able to sit and put words on the page, even when you're not feeling "inspired." Writing is hard work, and gradually fixing bad writing in rewrites; the best advice I ever got was "if you wait for inspiration to strike, you'll die waiting."

Obviously, if you're writing something you don't give a shit about to get paid by-the-word, you're not gonna write anything good. But even with a topic you love, you've got to put words on the page.
>>
>>5270481
>>5270553
Pretty much this. Also a writer [nospoiler]Though, writing is fucking hard and I can barely write anything that I feel is worthy of publishing[toyspoiler] and deadlines are usually how I come up with my best stuff, though, thats more for essays. If you don't have something counting down, it's really hard to even sit down and write something in the first place. In fact, i'm on /toy/ right now instead of writing! God fucking dammit!
>>
>>5270553
>>5270578
Well, I haven’t read most of this thread but I agree. As an artist, deadlines and doing work that fits someone else's needs has yielded some great results. A few of my best pieces have come from this, and they don't stray off of my typical path at all...The client's idea was a unique sort of inspiration and the deadline was a driving force to get it done and make it presentable.
>>
I have no problem at all in coming up with scenarios and plots to play with my toys.
The problem is acting them out when I live with my family and near my thirties.
>>
>>5270404

I write and draw and consider myself a creature person but honestly I can't "play" with toys like I used to as a kid. I just can't get into it at all. That doesn't mean I don't love messing around with things, imagining them flying around or fighting, etc. (even when they aren't in front of me). I care more about coming up with little backstories for stuff I don't know a lot about and how things look.
>>
>>5270553
>>5270578
>>5270697
Agreed.
A Writer writes. Always.
A good writer (or artist) can come up with wonderful things on their own, at their speed, as 'the muse' inspires.
A great writer (or artist) can do wonders with crap they don't care about, killer deadlines, etc. They overcome those obstacles and produce.
>>
File: 1360114875522.gif (954KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1360114875522.gif
954KB, 320x240px
>Spiderman
>>
>>5271534
Fuck off, John Byrne.
>>
>>5271164
and a poor writer steals ideas and churns out "fan fiction"
>>
>I force my self to write about stories about Spiderman with random stuff
>I think I am less good at it now days
>here read my spiderman stories

Unless op is a writer challenging himself to be better at his job/hobby, this whole thing sounds pretty autistic and forced.
>>
I never play with my toys, I just put them on a shelf and pose then differently every now and again. I have no imagination so I wouldn't even know what to do with them.

How do you play with your toys? Please teach me. No this isn't bait, I had no toys growing up but always wanted some. Now I have then and don't know what to do.
>>
>>5272356
Think of puppet theater but without a public to hide from and dioramas/your nearest table instead of a window scenario.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.