[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nerds love weird dice. No question about it. So it's not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: dnd_mound2.jpg (1MB, 2500x2536px) Image search: [Google]
dnd_mound2.jpg
1MB, 2500x2536px
Nerds love weird dice. No question about it. So it's not wonder that nerdy games use nerdy dice like d8s, d10s, or d20s. But really, if the hobby hopes to attract new players we need more systems that use d6s. Everybody's got at least a couple of board games at home that use d6s! Or at the very least a Yatzy set somewhere. The point is, d6s are easy to come by for anyone. If a new player goes to used book store and finds a D&D rulebook there that he thinks is interesting and would like to try with his friends, chances are he has no idea where to find all these weird dice that the game demands hi to use.

At the same time you also have issues in the opposite direction (though it's more a problem because it highlights just how silly the other end of the spectrum is than because it's an actual issue). I have seen games that are so incredibly niche that they're only sold print-on-demand from sites that only people already deep in the hobby would know about that have some of the best "What's an RPG?" introduction chapters ever written and which make sure to only use plain d6s and/or playing cards. Y'know, stuff that any person who have never about a role-playing game before would have at home.
>>
>Start a new hobby
>Can't even be bothered to shell out a few bucks for the necessary entry level tools for the hobby

Maybe take up running instead? Oh wait you need shoes for that. How about writing? Oh fuck, where are you going to get a pencil from? Maybe just spend your time sitting in a dark room crying to yourself about how shit you are that you can't even order a set of dice online. Maybe if you made this post fifteen years ago you'd have had a point but shopping online is so easy now that five year olds are literally doing it. There is no difficulty in acquiring dice, you just have to go ever so slightly out of your way. Ordering dice is probably less effort than looking up that picture and writing that OP was.
>>
>>55429595

Having some introductory games that use d6's is a good thing. But not all products need to aim themselves at new players, and the sheer number of people who do get into /tg/ stuff would imply that polyhedral dice aren't as much of a barrier as you make them out to be.
>>
>>55429595
That's not even a question!
>>
>>55429595
>d6 system
What's wrong with just using that? There's even a star wars edition with a bunch of material, normies love star wars.
>>
The advanced fighting fantasy rules use d6s, it's an amazing game and easy to pick up so perfect as an introductory game.
>>
>>55429595
You don't even need other dice, you can replace all your dice with 2d6. Just roll (d6-1)*6+d6 and reroll if the number is too high, the probability is the same. You can replace any die up to d36.
>>
>>55429595